AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2017-11-01, 17:33   Link #38821
4th Dimension

Yeah, that was great. :P One thing missing would be the steaming jelous glare of Vita to Rio when that happened

Complaints wise, the part that didn't work is the bit at the beggining that is supposed to introduce us to who is in the party and what are they wearing. That is IMO confusing and I had to reread it couple times to get who are you referring there. And I'm still not really sure what were they all wearing. Kinda the same with Signum but to a MUCH lesser degree.
Also people are likely to complain about calling Fate Vivio's godmother when writing from Vivio, or her friends perspective (well they will complain regardless of perspective) because Vivio certainly, at least in Vivid, refers to her as her mother and I would guess her friends would think of her as such.
I personally don't mind either way.

But in any case the the slow motion train-crash of the girl's "night out" was wonderful.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-01, 18:56   Link #38822
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Yeah, already got one complaint trying to correct me that Fate was now Vivio's proper mother after her marriage to Nanoha--which still no one's actually proven to me what's happened. Said reviewer also called me homophobic and told me he didn't read all of it because of it, so who cares what he thinks. He wants to leave a guest review like that, I'll happily delete said review.

For the most part, using the godmother term helps me denote which woman I'm talking about when not referring to them by name.
Old 2017-11-01, 19:37   Link #38823
4th Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Yeah, already got one complaint trying to correct me that Fate was now Vivio's proper mother after her marriage to Nanoha--which still no one's actually proven to me what's happened. Said reviewer also called me homophobic and told me he didn't read all of it because of it, so who cares what he thinks. He wants to leave a guest review like that, I'll happily delete said review.

For the most part, using the godmother term helps me denote which woman I'm talking about when not referring to them by name.
Yeeeah. I think we all know from which fan site he hails and I think I might be able to guess what his nick is there given the homophobia comment.
No one can prove it to you because there is zero proof of it in the actual canonical content that is not some random interview or semi official dojinshi. But let's leave that can of slimy wiggly worms aside.

What they can argue is how Vivio and pretty much everyone else treats Vivio-Fate relationship, and that's daughter-mother, no matter what might be the actual legal state (god mother, fellow mother or mother by the way of wife). And while you have a point there about making it easier on you to refer to Fate and differentiating her from Nanoha maybe think of using something else to avoid gripes from certain groups on this particular issue, because here, on THIS particular issue, they are right.

Old 2017-11-01, 19:45   Link #38824
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

His nick was Guest, but in the meantime I've just got another one accusing me of having an anti-gay agenda and telling me to note that if it's a sequel to a story where Nanoha and Fate divorced so people won't have to "waste time" on "something so niche."

Gonna pull a muscle again, rolling my eyes so hard.

When did Fanfiction.net become Tumblr?
Old 2017-11-02, 13:49   Link #38825
4th Dimension

Umm, wasn't it like this ever since the Nanoha Shipping Wars began?

And to some of them, they consider any hint of Nanoha not being utterly gay for Fate as forcing a homosexual person into a heterosexual relationship. Hence anyone writting anything that isn't NanoFate sweetness a homophobe forcing heterosexuality on homosexual persons.
That IS bad, but that is not how most such fics are written
In them Nanoha has ALLWAYS been hetero or bi. So no forcing is involved. Kinda same as for the rare BL fics thay tend to override protagonist heterosexuality. Is that then heterophobia?
So there is logic to it even if it's ridiculous

Old 2017-11-02, 15:59   Link #38826
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Let's not re-open this old shipping war argument (again) here. There is nothing anyone can possibly say at this point that change anyone's mind on the issue, short of the author confirming it point-blank, so the arguments will just never end.
Old 2017-11-03, 01:30   Link #38827
4th Dimension

Well I was more talking about people needlessly insulting each other over shipping and how some of extreme cases seem to think.
But point taken. Dropping this like a hot potato.

Old 2017-11-16, 04:58   Link #38828
Whedon the Snarker

Hello, I am a new user here and upon visiting this thread, I am interested in joining. But before that, I have a question to prevent a mistake.

There are two threads that I found in MGLN part that's related to FanFic; this thread and Cross-over Thread.

My question is, does this thread also discuss about cross-over fanfic or the cross-over is solely in the Cross-over Thread?
Whedon the Snarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-16, 07:27   Link #38829
vic-vic

I don't think there would be a problem as long as Nanoha-verse is major part of your story

And welcome
vic-vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-16, 07:53   Link #38830
4th Dimension

I was never 100% sure about the difference. I guess just fics ar3 fine here, since Blood That Flows, a Slayers total crossover used to run here. That being said any discussions as to how the crossovers would work should probably go to the crossover thread.

Then again this thread and subforum is kinda in deep sleep, so I don't think anyone would mind.

Old 2017-11-16, 10:05   Link #38831
Whedon the Snarker

Thanks for the answer.

OK, about the idea, it's a story of villain protagonists with the Nanoha cast as the hero antagonists. You can say I got inspired from a TV Show called Vikings.

In distant planets, at the frontier of the Bureau Space, exist the Kingdom of the Heathes. However, this is a kingdom in-name-only as the territories of the kingdom are divided and owned by several tribal chiefs. These tribes are at constant war with each other due to the condition of the kingdom.

The Kingdom of the Heathes suffered a big bad luck because all planets owned by the kingdom have severe climate problems and arable lands are rarity. Thus, the tribes of Heath fight for these precious lands.

The Heathes know about the worlds other than them. In fact, some of them once or twice trade with the nearby worlds.

However, dark times come to the kingdom as some of the arable lands lost their fertility and the population grows faster than expected. Facing these prospects, the Heathes look at the worlds beyond them, with many arable lands, empty space for their people, and full of treasures to be plundered.

Thus, the Heathes prepared their weapons and magic, many of them inspired from the Belkans' weapons and magic, their ships that - while smaller and less armed than the TSAB's - are some of the fastest ships that ever exist, and blessings from their gods.

The Kingdom of the Heathes and the Time Space Administrative Bureau came into conflict when the former raided one of the Saint Church's monastery, trying to build settlements in conservation zones, and many others.
Old 2017-11-16, 12:49   Link #38832
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Crossover thread is mainly to discuss the merits or weaknesses and functionality of crossing over another franchise with Nanoha, and not always in the vein of making a fanfic (indeed, we have at least one official instance of a Nanoha/Type-Moon crossover in reality). Actual fanfiction written about the crossover can be posted here, so you're fine in discussing it here if you want.
Old 2017-11-16, 14:46   Link #38833
vic-vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whedon the Snarker View Post
Thanks for the answer.

OK, about the idea, it's a story of villain protagonists with the Nanoha cast as the hero antagonists. You can say I got inspired from a TV Show called Vikings.

In distant planets, at the frontier of the Bureau Space, exist the Kingdom of the Heathes. However, this is a kingdom in-name-only as the territories of the kingdom are divided and owned by several tribal chiefs. These tribes are at constant war with each other due to the condition of the kingdom.

The Kingdom of the Heathes suffered a big bad luck because all planets owned by the kingdom have severe climate problems and arable lands are rarity. Thus, the tribes of Heath fight for these precious lands.

The Heathes know about the worlds other than them. In fact, some of them once or twice trade with the nearby worlds.

However, dark times come to the kingdom as some of the arable lands lost their fertility and the population grows faster than expected. Facing these prospects, the Heathes look at the worlds beyond them, with many arable lands, empty space for their people, and full of treasures to be plundered.

Thus, the Heathes prepared their weapons and magic, many of them inspired from the Belkans' weapons and magic, their ships that - while smaller and less armed than the TSAB's - are some of the fastest ships that ever exist, and blessings from their gods.

The Kingdom of the Heathes and the Time Space Administrative Bureau came into conflict when the former raided one of the Saint Church's monastery, trying to build settlements in conservation zones, and many others.
Sounds like an interesting idea.

But, if Kingdom advanced enough, I doubt that they couldn't build a large enclosed farms for food production.
Old 2017-11-16, 17:39   Link #38834
Whedon the Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic-vic View Post
Sounds like an interesting idea.

But, if Kingdom advanced enough, I doubt that they couldn't build a large enclosed farms for food production.
There are actually some enclosed farms. However, when the Kingdom begins its raiding campaign, by that time even enclosed farms are no longer enough to feed the growing population of Heath.

The two biggest reasons that caused the Heathes to raid the nearby worlds are loss of soil fertility and growing population. With the loss of fertility, arable lands become more rare and valuable. At the same time, the growing population means that more mouth need to be feed.

Basically, the food production decreases and yet the need for food increases. Facing this, the Heathes believe their only option is to move towards the nearby worlds and raid, expand, or combination of both.
Old 2017-11-17, 03:28   Link #38835
vic-vic

If the Kingdom have a large populations, they wouldn't be able to feed themselves with just raids, It's either full-scale migration or mass build of farms (they can build the fertilizers and even fertile soil from another worlds). IMHO, the later is more reasonable - you;ll need to build entire infrasatructure and cities from the scratch on a new place.

There is a many reasons for Kingdom to comes to blow with Bureau without shortage of food. Conflict around powerful relics from the past empires can easilly provoke a war IMHO
Old 2017-11-17, 03:44   Link #38836
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Lost Logia is their jurisdiction, after all. I get the feeling that if any such dangerous Lost Logia is unearthed, the TSAB will move in to secure it regardless of political issues, unlike the case of Orusea, the Administrated world that asked the TSAB to kindly butt out of its civil war.
Old 2017-11-17, 04:22   Link #38837
Whedon the Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic-vic View Post
If the Kingdom have a large populations, they wouldn't be able to feed themselves with just raids, It's either full-scale migration or mass build of farms (they can build the fertilizers and even fertile soil from another worlds). IMHO, the later is more reasonable - you;ll need to build entire infrasatructure and cities from the scratch on a new place.

There is a many reasons for Kingdom to comes to blow with Bureau without shortage of food. Conflict around powerful relics from the past empires can easily provoke a war IMHO
It's gradual. At first, the combination of food produced, food that have been preserved from the previous harvest, butchering cattle, fishing, and others, and also food gained from raids are enough. However, slowly the Kingdom realizes that these wouldn't be enough - the amount of food needed started to exceed the amount of both the available and produced food - and full-scale migration is necessary.

Problem is, the Kingdom comes to blow with the Bureau before they realize this. As such, they need to find a way to distract the Bureau before they could conquer other worlds. And they do so by raiding deeper and deeper into the Bureau Space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Lost Logia is their jurisdiction, after all. I get the feeling that if any such dangerous Lost Logia is unearthed, the TSAB will move in to secure it regardless of political issues, unlike the case of Orusea, the Administrated world that asked the TSAB to kindly butt out of its civil war.
Added with what vic-vic said, perhaps that is possible.

During an exploration in some world, the Heathes discovered a Lost Logia and believe it's an artifact from their gods due to its similar shape with something from their mythology. The Heathes build a temple at where the Lost Logia is. They don't bring it back because they believe that doing so would offends their gods.

Sometimes later, the Bureau secure the Lost Logia without realizing the religious values of that thing. The Heathes become mad and start to raids the Administrated Worlds and wouldn't stop until the Bureau return the Lost Logia. The Bureau try to warn them about the danger, only to be told that of course it's dangerous. It's an artifact from the gods and you need to be careful with it.

As such, the difference of values between the Kingdom and the Bureau caused conflicts between them; the Kingdom want to regain their gods' artifact and the Bureau want to secure the Lost Logia.

Though this makes me wonder; should it be because shortage of food, religious artifact, or combination of both, with the former as the main reason and the latter making the raids worse?

BTW Rising, is it true that Orusea in an Administrated World? When I read the wiki, it says that Orusea is a Non-Administrated World.

Last edited by Whedon the Snarker; 2017-11-17 at 04:24. Reason: I forgot to write something
Old 2017-11-17, 17:43   Link #38838
4th Dimension

Yeah. Pretty sure Orussia is not one of administrated worlds or the shitshow on it with mass based weapons would not fly.

And if they are allready raiding administered worlds, this has already gone beyond the threshold of TSAB ignoring them. They are Dimensional Space crossing capable, they are messing with LL and are a threat to the worlds in their charge. Any one of them would trigger TSAB response. All these combined? They are about to get themselves in a WORLD of trouble as TSAB likely moves their main force at them, and not the local patrols. Sooo, I don't really see them being a nuisance for long once that happens, even if TSAB's response might mainly to wreck their space capable installations and indirect them to their planets and let them stew on it until they decide to talk, while of course bringing up relief supplies to offer once they DO decide to talk.

The bit with food is wierd to me for two reasons. One is that I'm wondering why aren't they colonizing other worlds. Why didn't the people try to move off world once the arable land started being scarce. There certainly should be more unsettled worlds, especially is they are on the fringes of Administrated Dimensional Space.

Second is that raiding to get enough food, doesn't sound feasible to me from the logistical standpoint of getting all that food back to the home world in any significant amounts.

Old 2017-11-17, 18:35   Link #38839
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Something to keep in mind for the Bureau and their stance on Lost Logia is that it only applies to Lost Logia that pose a threat to people/worlds. There are many safer Lost Logia that they're willing to leave in the hands of responsible people, and as such during StrikerS we saw some of them being auctioned off. If the Lost Logia in question isn't a weapon or something else on the level of, say, the Saint's Cradle, the Bureau would probably look for a more diplomatic solution.
Old 2017-11-17, 18:37   Link #38840
Whedon the Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
Yeah. Pretty sure Orussia is not one of administrated worlds or the shitshow on it with mass based weapons would not fly.

And if they are already raiding administered worlds, this has already gone beyond the threshold of TSAB ignoring them. They are Dimensional Space crossing capable, they are messing with LL and are a threat to the worlds in their charge. Any one of them would trigger TSAB response. All these combined? They are about to get themselves in a WORLD of trouble as TSAB likely moves their main force at them, and not the local patrols. Sooo, I don't really see them being a nuisance for long once that happens, even if TSAB's response might mainly to wreck their space capable installations and indirect them to their planets and let them stew on it until they decide to talk, while of course bringing up relief supplies to offer once they DO decide to talk.

The bit with food is wierd to me for two reasons. One is that I'm wondering why aren't they colonizing other worlds. Why didn't the people try to move off world once the arable land started being scarce. There certainly should be more unsettled worlds, especially is they are on the fringes of Administrated Dimensional Space.

Second is that raiding to get enough food, doesn't sound feasible to me from the logistical standpoint of getting all that food back to the home world in any significant amounts.
While they're at the fringes of Administrated Dimensional Space, for comparison of distance between the Kingdom and the Dimensional Space, think about the distance between Scandinavia and the Western Europe. Simply put, the nearby worlds are a mix of Non-Administrated and Administrated Worlds and the Kingdom doesn't exactly see the difference.

As for why they aren't colonizing other worlds, it's due to two reasons; no unity between them and lack of fund. The so-called King of Heath had little real powers among the numerous tribal chiefs. This caused the various tribes to have a tendency to settle their problems through violence and warfare. Due to that, most tribes are too busy either attacking or defending to be able to move off world. The tribes in Heath are quite unique; they can be allies only to attack each other after some times have passed. Two warriors sharing dinner with each other might be enemies the next day.

The lack of fund means that not everyone can move off world. This is unacceptable for the Heathes because they've strong family connection. One tribe is not wealthy enough to move off world with everyone on-board. They might be able to move one by one, but doing so can risk the lives of the remaining tribesmen on Heath.

As such, the Kingdom need to do two things to be able to move off world; uniting the tribes under one banner and collecting enough fund. To do the latter, they perform raids on various worlds.

About the LL, they actually take a good care of their LL, it's their religious artifact after all. They don't mess with it due to fear of fury from their gods. They simply build a temple around it, guard it, and don't mess with it...OK, they also do human sacrifices around it as a ritual for their gods. But let's be honest, unless it happens in their worlds, the TSAB won't care about human sacrifices...

The TSAB biggest problem with fighting against the Kingdom is that they don't know where the Kingdom is. They never visit nor observe it and space is freaking big. The only thing the Bureau could do is defending the Administrated Worlds.

To make matter worse for the TSAB, the raids happen shortly after the JS Incident. The Bureau Space is in political turmoil. Many worlds questioned the competency of the TSAB; if they can't defend the capital world, how can they defend the less-important worlds?

Well, I am still working on the idea. The idea is that the conflict between the TSAB and the Kingdom of the Heathes ended with the latter having safer homes and arable lands for their people and the former stopping the raids that have been terrorizing their people.

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha