AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-01-10, 17:20   Link #21
Seihai
スマイリウム

That was a whacky premiere but visually speaking I like what I saw so far. It's colourful and doesn't let you take a breath before the next thing starts to happen. This looks like the selling point and on top of that, Nozomi is a real cutiepie which is a plus in my books. I'd love to see more background info or at least a direction in the coming episodes though. For now we know the basic setting and have seen a glimpse of Masami's past involving Nozomi as a little kid.
Old 2015-01-10, 18:23   Link #22
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ohhh-kay.

Hmm.

Not quite sure what to make of the series at the moment. The first ep seemed like a fast and furious infodump that hits you over the head and then keeps running, assuming you "got everything"...or at least that is how it felt. I have a feeling this may be one of those series that will unpack itself over several eps and make the viewer continually look back to previous eps and say "Oh. I get it now I think. So that's what was going on. Okay."

At the moment I am curious (and a little intrigued, actually) at what is going on here. Definitely will give the next few eps a try, but so far I like the overall package...hopefully the interest level will remain after a few eps?
Old 2015-01-10, 19:37   Link #23
Irenesharda

Wow, is this show full of a lot of bright colors and happy songs.

Show was okay, I'll have to watch a little bit more but looks to be funny with some serious spots here and there. The world is awfully ridiculous though.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-10, 20:05   Link #24
Wandering Soul

I guess you need knowledge of Japan's geography to get what a little of what this show is about. They just sorta threw everything at you at once and didn't really give you much time to digest it. Hopefully that changes in the next couple of episodes.
Old 2015-01-10, 21:57   Link #25
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Well, that was an interesting introduction to the world setting, though even I had to admit I had to replay the introduction three times before everything sunk in.
Old 2015-01-10, 22:05   Link #26
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

A very nice start kind of fills like Kill la Kill its going to be fun to see how this one plays out
Old 2015-01-10, 22:19   Link #27
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakaouji View Post
Before creating a hostage crisis and forcing us to pick sides, I sure as hell wish the show made an effort to tell us what the point of the story is. Is the show just gonna be about a bunch of pissing contests between 'Bests' vying for territory or is it gonna be about background characters banding together to express their individualism and finally taking a stand against Bests?

These people had the perfect chance to create a non-hierarchical society after the world leaders and the ruling class disappeared, but instead, they became even more territorial after they chose to divide themselves into factions as they fight over outdated ideals.

Anarchical rant aside, what I liked the most about the show was the colorful and dynamic feel of the art and animation respectively. Also, it stinks of hippy from top to toe. It reminded me of Fooly Cooly in a lot of ways. I sure as hell hope the show cranks up the crazy and goes batshit insane 'cause its spontaneity is its best weapon so far. I actually liked the impromptu noodle battle the two Bests had all of a sudden.
Non-hieralchical society is oxymoron. Even if some regions tried do that, you can bet there would be group on top that would be "more equal than others" and would force they ideas on others regardless.
Old 2015-01-10, 22:50   Link #28
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

I....dont get this, but that doesnt mean that I will stop watching this
Plus, the effects while fighting, nice i guess...

Last edited by DOmus; 2015-01-10 at 23:10.
DOmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-10, 23:04   Link #29
bakaouji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Non-hieralchical society is oxymoron. Even if some regions tried do that, you can bet there would be group on top that would be "more equal than others" and would force they ideas on others regardless.
Not quite. It just means that the people haven't yet evolved to the point where they won't enforce their ideals on others. Non-hierarchical society is not an old wives' tales. It is within possible reach but it's not easily achievable. It's also a pretty divisive topic that really doesn't have a clear resolution as arguments usually tend to loop back to square one.
bakaouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-11, 00:12   Link #30
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one above all View Post
I guess you need knowledge of Japan's geography to get what a little of what this show is about. They just sorta threw everything at you at once and didn't really give you much time to digest it. Hopefully that changes in the next couple of episodes.
I was getting that feeling too. I know next to nothing about Japan's geography, so most of that stuff went completely over my head. I just paid more attention to the antics of the characters which were a little easier to understand.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-11, 01:36   Link #31
Seihai
スマイリウム

I didn't get the feeling you need geographical knowledge, or maybe I'm ignorant. lol I figured it's ok to understand the context, like when they were surprised that it took 3 days for her to arrive there even though it's close. Not much there is to know.
Old 2015-01-11, 02:52   Link #32
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Maybe give this 1 or 2 more episodes.

Seems boring if it's focused on 4 "Rest" instead of the "Best" fights.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-11, 04:18   Link #33
Esclair

Expected a slice of life about cute girls riding, got Kill la Kill instead

Anyways, what I got out of the first episode was that the setup is just a wacky way of creating up a territorial gang battle style setting not unlike the School system domination setting in KLK. It doesn't really make sense for it to happen to current Japan, but if Japan is disheveled enough to separate into 10 separate countries (ie Sengoku era), then you can reenact the type of territorial battles that were common back then.

There does seem to be a major event that happened sometime in the past, tying Macha Green to the Best hired by the other territory, as well perhaps an accident in the past of the other protagonist.

Also, the flashback almost makes Macha Green and the other Best seem like Ryuko and Satsuki.

Last edited by Esclair; 2015-01-11 at 04:39.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-11, 08:35   Link #34
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

All I have to say is what am I watching exactly? I have no idea but I'm enjoying it.
Old 2015-01-11, 11:21   Link #35
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

I honestly expected this to be another Cute-Girls-Doing-Cute-Things SOL anime, instead I got Kyousou Giga. No words can describe how pleasantly surprised I am. I made the right choice giving it a chance.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-11, 13:42   Link #36
com_gwp

Add me to the circle of not knowing what to think about it yet. I do appreciate the subdued Gainax/Trigger style they're shooting for with the colors and mania vibrancy, and it never goes as far overboard as Imaishi tends to do. The animation is simply awe-inspiring; That maniac, impeccably fluid fight between the two "Best" was arguably WIT Studio's best showpiece yet. It's rare to witness action animation on such a dynamic, elegant level. (Yozakura Quartet and Kyousogiga as the best recent examples with comparatively excellent action.) The comedy seems to hit the right notes for the most part with good timing and execution, especially during the Ramen skit where Masami was trying to cover up her identity.

At the same time, as people already brought up, it lacks a solid direction at this point. It's hard to tell where episode 1 can go from here, and most signs point to the story being of the "cute girls do cute things" genre, which is a very undesirable outcome. The story is quite unimpressive, and except for the two BESTS we see, none of the characters are particularly compelling. Is this going to be an ensemble story (possibly) or are we focusing (more likely) on the 4 rookie girls ? I'd much prefer the former, and if they had given the leading roles to the two BEST ladies, I'd be much more inclined to follow this to the end.

But heck, a series like this is interesting however you slice it, and definitely warrent a "yes" for now.

Add: From a lead in Nozaki to this, Ozawa Ari certainly is rising in the industry. I was pleasantly surprised to hear Nozomi's voice since I went in mostly blind.

Last edited by com_gwp; 2015-01-11 at 14:24.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-11, 14:42   Link #37
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Biggest surprise of the season so far. Mix of cute-girls-doing-cute-things 'moe shit' with DBZ-esque fight scenes? Kill la Kill did it with sexy, but combining laid back SOL with blood pumping action is certainly... unique to say the least.

Really impressed with the animation, even though I don't understand ANYTHING about the plot, or whatever they were trying to dump to us in the beginning.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-11, 16:51   Link #38
IceHism

This is like the YuYuYu of this season except obviously it will be more light hearted.

The sakuga is really good as expected.

I like the main girl nozomi so I'm definitely sticking with this.

From what I got, its 10 warring independent regions trying to control all of Japan. This is done through best vs best fights it seems.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-12, 05:06   Link #39
Dawnstorm

Oh, good god, surprise of the season for me. It's easily the best premier so far. Everything works from the wacky battles to the portrayal of daily life. I'm curious about what's going on so many levels. I expected something like postapocalyptic Tamayura maybe, but this seems to be more in the line Zvezda or Gachaman Crowds, except that it seems to be more focused than the former, and more laid back than the latter.

I loved the little details, like the guy in the alligator mask making a phone call with the mask at a slight angle and the receiver where you'd expect the ear to be. For me, this show easily wins the season so far.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-12, 06:30   Link #40
Maxulous
mono no aware

Nothing stand out for me. If felt like an imitation of an imitation, so not exactly Gainax by that point. A colourful cocktail of DRRR!, Kill la Kill and a prominent Yozakura Quartet flavor. The first two make Rolling Girls fairly palatable, but I really don't go for YQ.
Maxulous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pretty colors