AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2012-01-12, 09:06   Link #361
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Also, for the industrialists....think of all the resources that can be exploited.
The OIL-igopolists disagree. They don't want anyone they don't know having a private gusher, nor a new fuel that produces energy more efficiently than oil.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 00:28   Link #362
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
The OIL-igopolists disagree. They don't want anyone they don't know having a private gusher, nor a new fuel that produces energy more efficiently than oil.
Oil won't be an issue, considering that maybe 0.01% of these planets will have/had sufficient life on them to have produced oil, and less to have produced Earth levels of oil.

... And you start blowing up/mining planets into oblivion, its not going to be long until some sufficiently advanced lifeforms wrecks our shit for being careless, selfish, and thoughless.
Old 2012-01-13, 00:52   Link #363
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That is stilll about a billion planets. Plus space is vast. It would likely take a while for anyone to even notice us being thoughtless.

We have to get to that point first though. We aren't even exploiting our own solar system yet.
Old 2012-01-13, 02:03   Link #364
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Space station will fire up engines to avoid oncoming junk

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45977884...oncoming-junk/

Definately a call for particle shielding.
Old 2012-01-13, 03:42   Link #365
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Space station will fire up engines to avoid oncoming junk

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45977884...oncoming-junk/

Definately a call for particle shielding.
A really big sponge..... really big. Or that magical expanding insulation in a can
Old 2012-01-13, 14:51   Link #366
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

We have come a long ways...in some respects

Complete Civil War submarine unveiled for first time

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...3?feedType=RSS

Quote:
Confederate Civil War vessel H.L. Hunley, the world's first successful combat submarine when it sank a Union ship in 1864, was unveiled in full and unobstructed for the first time on Thursday, capping a decade of careful preservation.
That was High Tech in 1864.
Old 2012-01-13, 16:47   Link #367
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

The most amazing thing about that is, that they actually got people crazy enough to board it.
And then when it sank twice on test runs, killing the whole crew every time, there were still enough of them left, that it could go on a real mission. Where it sank a third time. Who would've guessed.
Darwin awards should be handed out to everyone of the mission crewmen.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 17:04   Link #368
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Desperate times. Desperate messures. It worked.
The David type torpedo boats worked about as good, just not as effective, since I don't recall them actually sinking anything. (But that might be more the use of spar torpedoes than any other problem)
Old 2012-01-13, 17:38   Link #369
Kyuu
=^^=

So... how do you evaluate your net-addiction?

Quote:
Web addicts have brain changes similar to those hooked on drugs or alcohol, preliminary research suggests.

Internet addiction is a clinical disorder marked by out-of-control internet use.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16505521

From my perspective... it does feel that way. But, if I set myself up, I can go without the Internet for an extended time period. I've done it before.

Quote:
Experts in China scanned the brains of 17 young web addicts and found disruption in the way their brains were wired up.
And only sample size of 17? Needs further study.

And some questions:

Quote:
  • Do you feel preoccupied with the internet?
  • Do you feel the need to use the internet with increasing amounts of time in order to achieve satisfaction?
  • Have you repeatedly made unsuccessful efforts to control, cut back or stop internet use?
  • Do you feel restless, moody, depressed, or irritable when attempting to cut down or stop internet use?
  • Do you stay online longer than intended?
  • Have you jeopardized or risked the loss of a significant relationship, job, educational or career opportunity because of the internet?
  • Have you lied to family members, a therapist or others to conceal the extent of involvement with the internet?
  • Do you use the internet as a way of escaping from problems or of relieving a distressed mood (eg feelings of helplessness, guilt, anxiety and depression)?
I look to answer these later for myself.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 04:18   Link #370
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Twenty top predictions for life 100 years from now
Old 2012-01-16, 05:00   Link #371
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

The internet is just a too important part of my daily life.
If I get out of my usual environment, like on a vacation, I have no problem to abstain from it and I don't even miss it. The same goes for times of exceptional activity, like working for my exams for example. Of course there are those moments when you think "damn Google would come in handy now" (I don't own a smartphone), but that's a practical thing.
But I can't relinquish it if I'm at home. Frankly I don't see the point why I should try anyway.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 11:59   Link #372
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I don't know why but I always find these "100 hundred years into the future" guessing games annoying, so if I come off antagonistic... please pardon it. I can;t help it!
Who made up that list? #2, #3, #4, #7, #13 are laughable. #9 has already occurred.

#9 nuclear fusion has been possible via tokamak and FI processes for a while now. It's even reached break-even points. So how is this at a prediction and not just a: "Let's look at current technology and say that in X years it will still be here!" Solar farming is also effectively a non-prediction. The only thing #9 predicts is the disappearance of wind energy... great? What about Liquid Thorium Reactors? How bout any of the other actually theoretical energy production methods?

#4 would be frightening beyond imagination not to mention akin to pure magic (yes, yes sufficiently advanced tech is like magic) at this point in time because of the chaotic formulations involved in even the simplest weather patterns when looked at not only from a global scale but extra-planetary. Our weather isn't some nice random number generator that we can muck with as we please and to be able to control it would be like saying we can control the sun... because we'd effectively have to to stop its micro-effects on our weather (the slightest change induced by the sun would cause a massive butterfly effect on our "controlled weather"). Sure, we might get very good at predicting the weather but we're likely never going to gain full control over it (and why would you bother? It would be so painstakingly difficult) so long as the system is open to external influences such as but not limited to: the Coriolis Effect, Solar Winds. Solar Spots, Solar Releases. Then again, reading over the paragraph again what they're talking about isn't controlling the weather but mediating it.

#2 & #7 I'll believe right after Quantum Computing breaks out of its 5-10 year stupor of no progress and someone comes around to clarify two things: how does the brain actually work, why would these be good ideas? (Futurists honestly puzzle me with their fascination on merging man with machine, why not just bioengineer better people? Did mother nature's continuing work really not sit well with them, because I feel that her billions of years of experience probably trump our couple hundred.) Otherwise, the prediction is again half a non-prediction and futurist mumbo-jumbo that I'd expect from the mouth of Kurzweil. We can already send signals through wireless to machines (such as a replacement limbs) to have them function as extensions of our physical selves. Uploading of thoughts, ideas, and in general the qualia that define a person to the internet, however, are straight from Kurzweil's notes of "uploading human brains by 2050!", sure Mr. Kurzweil. While we're at it, let's also solve the No Cloning Problem. (Also, complete aside, but why would people want to augment their fleshy carbon-based brain with... anything? Your brain is already susceptible enough to damage but now your going to introduce a weakness that it didn't have previously with no real benefit that talking doesn't convey.)

#3 espouses hive minds... pass. It also espouses the end of humanity because immortal super people means immortal, unchanging, super people, ripe for destruction by your ever changing, ever menacing viruses. Let's not forget super stupidity. Bioengineer people to be better, healthier, longer living, but don't make everyone immortal. That would just wreck society and people's motivation to do anything. Only a handful of mindsets would ever be able to handle immortality without falling into the pit of disinterest because of infinite time.

I'm going to stop now... I'm sorry.
Old 2012-01-16, 14:41   Link #373
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
I don't know why but I always find these "100 hundred years into the future" guessing games annoying, so if I come off antagonistic... please pardon it. I can;t help it!
-snip-
Nah you're just demonstrating the presence of a brain.

Well,

'Last week we asked readers for their predictions of life in 100 years time. '

AKA random bullshit from who knows what group of people.

---------------------

What's degrading for 'futurologists' (wait this is a profession? Is that a theorist without the intellect?) is that 'futurologists Ian Pearson (IP) and Patrick Tucker (PT)' made extremely ridiculous 'likelihood' ratings to these ideas.

Such as rating nanotechnology for assisting human body functions as 7/10 and and controlling the weather as 8/10.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 15:56   Link #374
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It seems to be a list of things readers sent in. Not much else.
Old 2012-01-18, 04:01   Link #375
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Such as rating nanotechnology for assisting human body functions as 7/10 and and controlling the weather as 8/10.
These ratings might partly be a result of our present technology. There exist limited weather control techniques for decades now, e.g. silver iodide is used to stop local bad weather cells from advancing or growing. This stuff is brought into the clouds by planes and helps as a catalyst for forced rain.

In Germany this technique is used to lessen the impact of hail storms on agricultural installations (i.e. green houses) and sensitive agricultural products (i.e. vine). It is further used to ensure good weather conditions on certain (deemed) important public events (e.g. olympic games).

Such existing technology makes some people believe we almost can control the weather, which is a result of the misconception, that these existing technologies could be scaled up to global levels without disastrous side effects.

The 7/10 for nanotechnologies assisting human body functions is very optimistic, but I think can be attributed to a nanotech hype that is currently in vogue. Afaik there is little actual nanotechnology that is working inside humans as of today.
Old 2012-01-18, 08:57   Link #376
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
So... how do you evaluate your net-addiction?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16505521

From my perspective... it does feel that way. But, if I set myself up, I can go without the Internet for an extended time period. I've done it before.

And only sample size of 17? Needs further study.

And some questions:

I look to answer these later for myself.
Change the word "internet" to "electricity" or "tools" and take the survey --- and then realize just how *stupid* the survey is. Of course, using a tool in a way that interferes with all other aspects of life could be considered an "addiction" but it also be considered incredibly poor time management

Survey:
  • Do you feel preoccupied with electricity?
  • Do you feel the need to use electricity with increasing amounts of time in order to achieve satisfaction?
  • Have you repeatedly made unsuccessful efforts to control, cut back or stop elecricity use?
  • Do you feel restless, moody, depressed, or irritable when attempting to cut down or stop electricity use?
  • Do you use electricity longer than intended?
  • Have you jeopardized or risked the loss of a significant relationship, job, educational or career opportunity because of electricity?
  • Have you lied to family members, a therapist or others to conceal the extent of involvement with your use of electricity?
  • Do you use electricity as a way of escaping from problems or of relieving a distressed mood (eg feelings of helplessness, guilt, anxiety and depression)?

The "chinese experts" and any other "experts" are ignoring the root problems and attacking symptoms -- root problems that drive people to seek escapism because they're trapped in situations.
Old 2012-01-18, 09:05   Link #377
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Change the word "internet" to "electricity" or "telephone" and take the survey --- and then realize just how *stupid* the survey is. Of course, using a tool pointlessly without any creative or productive results that also interferes with all other aspects of life could be considered an "addiction" but it also be considered incredibly poor time management

Survey:
  • Do you feel preoccupied with electricity?
  • Do you feel the need to use electricity with increasing amounts of time in order to achieve satisfaction?
  • Have you repeatedly made unsuccessful efforts to control, cut back or stop elecricity use?
  • Do you feel restless, moody, depressed, or irritable when attempting to cut down or stop electricity use?
  • Do you use electricity longer than intended?
  • Have you jeopardized or risked the loss of a significant relationship, job, educational or career opportunity because of electricity?
  • Have you lied to family members, a therapist or others to conceal the extent of involvement with your use of electricity?
  • Do you use electricity as a way of escaping from problems or of relieving a distressed mood (eg feelings of helplessness, guilt, anxiety and depression)?
Thus is another survey to sell tin foil hats by creating panic and anxiety....has been around since 10 years ago.

The branding style is the same one my counsellor use to brainwash me at that time. Might as well use an E-meter since anyone who use the net and spend copious amount of time on ebaumsworld and sifting through thousands of sites for info (wikipedia is non-existent at that time) would realise that the methods are no different to what culminated in the Red Scare.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 16:05   Link #378
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
The 7/10 for nanotechnologies assisting human body functions is very optimistic, but I think can be attributed to a nanotech hype that is currently in vogue. Afaik there is little actual nanotechnology that is working inside humans as of today.
I think it's actually pessimistic. They've got a century to accomplish a very loosely defined goal. They just have to get nanotech to help in some kind of medical treatment (any kind of medical treatment, from cancer cure to diet to erectile dysfunction) and declare victory.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 16:35   Link #379
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

A lot can happen in a century. Especially if the pace of advancement equals that of the 19th and 20th centuries.

1801 there were no steam ship or railroads.
1901 there were no airplanes.
What will there be that did exist in 2001 that will be common use by 2101
(Come to think of is, what is there that is advanced potentially common use thing that didn't exist in 2001 that exists now, since the other two examples happened early in the centuries)
Old 2012-01-18, 17:03   Link #380
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Marble Strike Movement Wood Clock.

Endless "Would you look at the time!" Soul