AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-07-28, 15:13   Link #1781
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

A sort of old school flying shouter game. The type where you fly a little ship in a 2D world and kills flying objects that come your way.

Touhou Threads: [1] [2]

As far as I know...
Old 2008-07-28, 18:05   Link #1782
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
someone sent me this trick question.. it goes like this
"If John is the son of Joe, then Joe is the ____ of John's Father"

am still trying to figure out what to put in the blank XD
Spoiler for alternative alternative alternative answer:
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 06:56   Link #1783
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Question:

I got a legal Home XP OEM Key with my notebook. I use it on this notebook, it verifies and i can update. BUT!

What happens if i use the same key for my other computer? Would i still be able to update? I can't imagine Microsoft having a method of finding out this isn't the same computer, or do they?

I also have a legal Vista Home Premium OEM Key. I installed it on VMware and it works. I could update vista. But from what i heard most notebook manufacturers use a key for notebook different than the one written on the bottom. So that could be the reason that it works

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 07:13   Link #1784
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
Question:

I got a legal Home XP OEM Key with my notebook. I use it on this notebook, it verifies and i can update. BUT!

What happens if i use the same key for my other computer? Would i still be able to update? I can't imagine Microsoft having a method of finding out this isn't the same computer, or do they?
It's possible, on-line activation probably won't work and it's a violation of Microsoft's OEM license. OEM-licenses are hardware locked. More specifically motherboard, which you're allowed to change only if it's broken.

Quote:
I also have a legal Vista Home Premium OEM Key. I installed it on VMware and it works. I could update vista. But from what i heard most notebook manufacturers use a key for notebook different than the one written on the bottom. So that could be the reason that it works
Many manufacturers use volume OEM-licenses which are pre-activated and thus use a different license number when pre-installed. The licence number in the sticker is the actual licence but it's locked to the motherboard in question as well. Using it in other computers or virtual machines is once again license violation.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 07:22   Link #1785
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
What happens if i use the same key for my other computer?
You would be in breach of the end user license agreement.
Quote:
Would i still be able to update?
I imagine you would be prevented from even activating the key... so no.
Quote:
i heard most notebook manufacturers use a key for notebook different than the one written on the bottom.
No idea if that is true or not. They normally use pre-prepared hard-disk images to mass produce the systems, which are probably pre-activated and you only need to activate the key on reinstall, i.e. key had spare activations. I thought I had to activate the last laptop I bought though, after entering a few details to set up a local account. It is a long time since I've been through the process though, so I could be remembering incorrectly, and vista might be completely different from XP...

Edit: Ah, confirmation from escimo.

Last edited by NightWish; 2008-07-29 at 07:22. Reason: Did that really take me more than 9 minutes to write?
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 07:58   Link #1786
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Ok thanks both.

So "breach of the end user license agreement" is the only thing to it...
Guess i'll have to test it out to see if i can still update after

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 09:44   Link #1787
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

How did people brush their teeth, before toothbrushes were invented?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 10:05   Link #1788
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Your question is somewhat nonsensical. Surely, if they brushed their teeth at all it would be with, by definition, a toothbrush. The device could not have been used before its invention/discovery so people wouldn't have brushed their teeth until they had toothbrushes. I believe the earliest device, found in Egypt, was a simple wooden stick with the ends all frayed. Though granted it is probably a far cry from what you might normally call a toothbrush... Apparently the Chinese were the first to create something similar to the sort of thing we use today, around the 1400s.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 10:11   Link #1789
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Question:

If you are simply moving your license to another computer, you won't have a problem. The worst that will happen is you'll have to call Microsoft for an activation key probably after answering a few questions to explain that you aren't pirating or using simultaneous installs, but you probably won't even have to do that.

If you are using simultaneous installs... Don't expect it to keep working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
How did people brush their teeth, before toothbrushes were invented?
Many ancient people chewed on or rubbed their teeth with frayed twigs, which we have evidence of up to about 3000 BC in Egypt.

The Chinese are known to have actual toothbrushes as far back as the 1400s AD, made out of bamboo and boars' hair.

Edit: Darn it, beat to it by Nightwish.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 10:33   Link #1790
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
If you are simply moving your license to another computer, you won't have a problem. The worst that will happen is you'll have to call Microsoft for an activation key probably after answering a few questions to explain that you aren't pirating or using simultaneous installs, but you probably won't even have to do that.
You can't switsch OEM Keys that easyly.
mangalowres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 10:37   Link #1791
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

But... but... it is the silly question thread, is it not?

I would have thought a finger would suffice. I sometimes had to do that out in the field during military missions. Too lazy and tired to pull the damned brush out of the backpack.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 10:47   Link #1792
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
But... but... it is the silly question thread, is it not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by First post
1. Only purposeful questions may be posted here. If anyone posts a pointless silly question I will banish your post to the dark side.
Be thankful

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 10:51   Link #1793
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangalowres View Post
You can't switsch OEM Keys that easyly.
It is a breach of their license, but that is not a legally binding contract on the customer. (When the courts say otherwise, I'll change my tune.)

It isn't hard, though. You re-activate by phone. Upon failing to activate, Windows will generate a special key, you call the number and input the key, explain the reasoning ("upgrade", for instance), and they give you an activation key.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 10:52   Link #1794
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Yup be thankful, if it would be me I would have got a message from an admin .... they don't seem to like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
It is a breach of their license, but that is not a legally binding contract on the customer. (When the courts say otherwise, I'll change my tune.)

It isn't hard, though. You re-activate by phone. Upon failing to activate, Windows will generate a special key, you call the number and input the key, explain the reasoning ("upgrade", for instance), and they give you an activation key.
And then the nice woman on the other side of the telephone line will say "NO"

Switching OEM license from one computer to another can be very difficult maybe impossible but Microsoft is getting more and more liberal.
Ten years ago it was an impossiblie mission
mangalowres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 14:24   Link #1795
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Question:

I've done something similar to your question. I was in the process of switching my girlfriend over to a Macbook. So that she wouldn't lose productivity, I used VMWare's converter tool to turn her old laptop into a virtual machine file. (Side note: that utility is free and awesome, and it will save you tons of time in setting up a Windows VM if someone already had a Windows environment that they were using.)

I'm pretty sure that her install was using the OEM key that came with her laptop. Upon booting the virtual machine I was brought to an activation screen, and much to my surprise it activated successfully. Some WGA-like technology was in use on that install so that she could update her copy of Office, and it didn't throw any issues. What I don't remember is whether her PC laptop still has the same key as the VM. If it does, there are no issues (although she doesn't use the VM anymore, really). If it doesn't, then there were no issues during the time that the two did share the same key.
Old 2008-07-29, 15:28   Link #1796
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Question:

I've done something similar to your question. I was in the process of switching my girlfriend over to a Macbook. So that she wouldn't lose productivity, I used VMWare's converter tool to turn her old laptop into a virtual machine file. (Side note: that utility is free and awesome, and it will save you tons of time in setting up a Windows VM if someone already had a Windows environment that they were using.)
I haven't tried it with Windows, but I found VirtualBox to be a much simpler and powerful tool when dealing with VMs. VMWare seemed obtrusive, unintuitive and overall bothering.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-30, 09:44   Link #1797
genryou
The ______ maker
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to genryou
Is it possible to create an emulator for the next generation console such as PS3 and Xbox360?
genryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-30, 09:47   Link #1798
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by genryou View Post
Is it possible to create an emulator for the next generation console such as PS3 and Xbox360?
Yes, just not now. The architectural differences cause a huge loss of processing power when emulated thus there's no pc on the market today capable to compensate it. In few years to come, maybe. However both Xbox360 and PS3 are quite complex systems, so I doubt that no-one will bother to make an emulator. So it'll quite surely be possible just unlikely to happen.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-30, 10:16   Link #1799
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Current PC cant even handle PS2 emulator
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-30, 11:21   Link #1800
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

What's up with the different user tags?

・ Graphic Designer
・ IT Support
・ Artist
・ Fansubber (though that's self-explanatory, same with Site Staff and Moderator)
・ Author

How and when do you get them? No, i'm not asking for one. ^^
Couldn't find an explanation for that.
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious