AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2009-01-19, 21:58   Link #1
Meier
A Beck anime? SWOON!

Use of IRC chat rooms by groups (Why do they do it any more?)

Just an observation from someone who has been on the scene for some time... topic for discussion for those who have and haven't. In sitting in a few of the rooms on IRC, it seems like there is literally no conversation at all at this point. Years ago, it was primarily leechers, but there was still quite a bit of discussion/chat as well to accompany this. In this day and age though, it's all so faceless -- whether it be via torrents or simply using bots only, the human interaction is gone.

I used to help edit some scripts back in the day and the recognition of viewers was part of the appeal of doing the hard work on getting these done... there isn't any of that now it seems like. Interesting paradigm shift.
Meier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 22:32   Link #2
checkers
Part 8
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to checkers
I think this is merely a function of the increased viewership of anime. Before, the only people who watched were those who really liked anime, and who spent a lot of time thinking about it. As the numbers of people watching has grown, the average interest in anime of fans has reduced. Not everyone watching is an otaku who wants to marry Belldandy anymore.

Channels (and I don't just mean IRC rooms here) talking about anime still exist, but they haven't grown as fast as channels that exist just for downloading.
checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 22:47   Link #3
neothe0ne

I think you're expecting too much from the community. People have real lives and aren't sitting at their computers 24/7, so there will often be times when IRC channels will be completely silent. At other times, though, plenty of discussion can happen, concerning anything at all. (Yesterday we were discussing operating systems in a certain channel and someone denied the existence of XP x64... much conversation ensued)
Old 2009-01-19, 22:47   Link #4
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkers View Post
Not everyone watching is an otaku who wants to marry Belldandy anymore.

I don't usually check this forum, but the topic caught my attention and that quote really made me laugh.

Belldandy =
Old 2009-01-19, 22:58   Link #5
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meier View Post
Just an observation from someone who has been on the scene for some time... topic for discussion for those who have and haven't. In sitting in a few of the rooms on IRC, it seems like there is literally no conversation at all at this point. Years ago, it was primarily leechers, but there was still quite a bit of discussion/chat as well to accompany this. In this day and age though, it's all so faceless -- whether it be via torrents or simply using bots only, the human interaction is gone.

I used to help edit some scripts back in the day and the recognition of viewers was part of the appeal of doing the hard work on getting these done... there isn't any of that now it seems like. Interesting paradigm shift.
I kinda noticed that too in the beginning. Think it depends on the channel for starters, for example #Nipponsei is pretty 'active' with randomness.
Also depends on the time, if most Americans are asleep, then a channel activity tends to drop.
Most just come in simply to leech and can't be arsed to quit a channel so they "idle".
While it seems like there may be a presense there, most are afk, it's an empty channel.

I also remember approaching IRC with fear initally, esp with the idea that questions can't be asked cause it earns you an auto kick/ban.
While the ops have to deal with idiots most times, for the sincere minority (even with rules read and all) kinda don't get a chance. Also there are some unwritten ettiquette around that you can only learn via epxerience (eg: to leave a question in a main chan, may be answered by a staff member 2 hours later)
Sometimes to make mistakes earns an auto k/b or a kick without actually knowing what rule you supposedly broke. >.>

It's like there's no patience for others beings anymore.
But I can only observe a tiny tiny part based off the fansubbing circles over the last 2 years, anything beyond that, I dunno how it's changed/evolved.

And your title for this thread.... xD

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 23:39   Link #6
DryFire
Panda Herder

Almost every chan I'm in that's under 50-100 people is pretty active. Large ones are kind of dead because nothing interesting ever gets discussed.
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 23:40   Link #7
Dansickle
Needs more T-Pain
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Dansickle
A lot of the issue is with a lot of fansubbers disliking the general leecher community and so don't even give them the time of day in IRC. Obviously, some groups are different, but even still fansubbers tend to distance themselves from leechers. Makes for few conversations.

Now Playing:
Goal Line Blitz, Starcraft (entering iCCup season 9)

(Largely) Retired:
DotA, Madden '09, Super Smash Brothers Melee, Melty Blood, CS1.6, CS:S, Diablo 2, Warcraft III, Guild Wars, DAoC, Warhammer Online, Left4Dead, TF2, Halo 1
Dansickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 03:48   Link #8
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFire View Post
Almost every chan I'm in that's under 50-100 people is pretty active. Large ones are kind of dead because nothing interesting ever gets discussed.
I agree. My groups channel has decent discussions daily, but other groups with like 400+ are dead as hell. That didn't use to be though way back when. I remember when A-E had a few thousand ppl in it and it had chats happening nearly 24hr a day. IMO the chats die when the subbers themselves stop joining in on them. I always make a point of being less antisocial so my chan is lively which I think keeps staff more active in general and helps to keep them from becoming bitter or negative. Let's face it, stick a bunch of fansubbers in a room alone long enough and they will start being bitter, negative, emo, stuckup, cockbites.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 06:25   Link #9
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
Let's face it, stick a bunch of fansubbers in a room alone long enough and they will start being bitter, negative, emo, stuckup, cockbites.
Then we'd be seeing a lot more groups falling apart no, since technically we're stuck in a virtual room for the majority of the time.
Staff channel wise, people should be going Fansub Royale on each other.
I'd take it as a sign of the individual's personalities, rather than of the hobby we're all participating in.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
Old 2009-01-20, 07:07   Link #10
dj_tjerk
Ana-chan~

Staff channels can be quite active :P But channels aren't like the old days; like friday night (/me is european) with aone's channel doubled in size with all the leechers waiting for naruto yelling/screaming/whatnot. I have to say I too was quite scared of ops back then
dj_tjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 07:45   Link #11
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_tjerk View Post
Staff channels can be quite active :P
Agreed, hee hee
Quote:
But channels aren't like the old days; like friday night (/me is european) with aone's channel doubled in size with all the leechers waiting for naruto yelling/screaming/whatnot. I have to say I too was quite scared of ops back then
Well, same can be said for forum activity, I wonder. I remember the heyday of 2004: Naruto was within its first year of TV airing, FMA...man the FMA fans were insane (I may have been a small part of that >.>) and a few other series at the time were really gaining huge fanbases.
Aside from Death Note (latest example i can think of), I've not really seen that much activity where the general mass are practically hanging on the edge of a cliffhanger for dear life, dying for the next episode, thus resulting in general chats and forum activity being high.
Well, Spring season is coming, let's see how it goes. But I think if more OPs are seen as active, approachable and not so threatening, it'll draw a few shy but socialable people out.

Old 2009-01-22, 01:27   Link #12
Fishbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Agreed, hee hee

Well, same can be said for forum activity, I wonder. I remember the heyday of 2004: Naruto was within its first year of TV airing, FMA...man the FMA fans were insane (I may have been a small part of that >.>) and a few other series at the time were really gaining huge fanbases.
Aside from Death Note (latest example i can think of), I've not really seen that much activity where the general mass are practically hanging on the edge of a cliffhanger for dear life, dying for the next episode, thus resulting in general chats and forum activity being high.
Well, Spring season is coming, let's see how it goes. But I think if more OPs are seen as active, approachable and not so threatening, it'll draw a few shy but socialable people out.
Well just depends on popularity I guess. I mean I can't even name a series that have (Naruto/Death Note) type of mass appeal and HYPE that hasn't been made into an anime yet...

Maybe if Touhou gets a real anime adaption.........
Fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 04:56   Link #13
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
Well just depends on popularity I guess. I mean I can't even name a series that have (Naruto/Death Note) type of mass appeal and HYPE that hasn't been made into an anime yet...

Maybe if Touhou gets a real anime adaption.........
Won't happen, ZUN has basically said "hell no" a hundred times in a dozen different ways.

Though I could actually see an anime adaptation of Strange and Bright Nature Diety coming out extremely well. I'd watch it, at least.

Maybe I just don't trust anyone to make anything serious.

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 2009-01-22 at 05:31.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 14:56   Link #14
Fishbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
Won't happen, ZUN has basically said "hell no" a hundred times in a dozen different ways.
Things change

Besides...

noone lives forever........
Fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 15:46   Link #15
Enigma Collective
*Fansubber

Some people don't like using torrents to leech their anime (like me), as weird as that sounds. It also tends to bring the community together if you either a) don't have a forum or b) have a forum but don't have a lot of people posting. :>
Enigma Collective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 18:07   Link #16
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
As far as I know, the largest channels that just talk about anime aren't even dedicated group channels, they are leecher hubs. Take #/a/ for example.
Old 2009-01-23, 07:49   Link #17
sangofe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meier View Post

IRC's the place staff that sub anime to chat about projects. I never go to our "main"; people come there only to get files off the bots, complain, or ask about next release.
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 15:35   Link #18
PEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Did the Code Geass hype bypass you completely? Gurren Lagann, as well, although that was almost the same time as Death Note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
As far as I know, the largest channels that just talk about anime aren't even dedicated group channels, they are leecher hubs. Take #/a/ for example.
woa, #/a/ isn't even that big, and most people aren't there to download stuff. but #news and #nibl are like that, sure.
PEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 18:07   Link #19
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
Let's face it, stick a bunch of fansubbers in a room alone long enough and they will start being bitter, negative, emo, stuckup, cockbites.

Not entirely true. I can think of one chan named after a translator that doesn't have emo cockbites in it (well, at least till I walk in...)

There's usually quite a bit of chat in there too. Mostly dorama-related though, which I'm guessing isn't what you were looking for
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 21:48   Link #20
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Well it is not why no one talks rather what if someone needs a question. I do agree that no one talks anymore. In channels with 500+ people it's often to see 10 join/parts and 3 name changes before someone talks, and it's usually !list or !<etc>. However, every maybe 5 minutes or less there's at least a staff member/someone who can answer the question/operator who could help people. Every time I want to know something about a group, the first thing I do is go to their site, then check out their IRC channel. What else would I do...send an e-mail? That's so 1999.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote