Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-02-28, 08:32   Link #41
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
Plaque? im kidding. i know what you meant.

Couldn't resist hehe. I brush several times a day because I tend to try to avoid plaque like the plague
Teeth brushing... Nisemonogatari...
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-28, 17:43   Link #42
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Teeth brushing... Nisemonogatari...
Hottest gadget...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-28, 20:49   Link #43
Strahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
p sure you're just completely wrong or misinformed about this
As I said, I'm not speaking anecdotally.. I have actually seen the effects on a 48 lot drive set pulled from climate controlled storage. In my twenty odd years of working in IT, I've learned nothing is absolute. You may get lucky and it'd work after 15+ years, and it may not.

Personally, I value my data enough to not gamble with it.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-28, 21:04   Link #44
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
As I said, I'm not speaking anecdotally.. I have actually seen the effects on a 48 lot drive set pulled from climate controlled storage.
Do you even know what "anecdote" means? Because that is an anecdote right there. I'm not disputing that it happened, but extrapolating from that incident to "harddrives in general tend to die after a number of years in storage because of mechanical failure in the motors" is exactly what anecdotal evidence is.

You'll have to excuse me for not instantly bowing to your twenty years of experience, but if you have a good source (something that isn't "the internet, lol") for the statement that electric motors just randomly die off after a few years in storage, please provide such and I will gladly admit that I am wrong and you are right.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-28, 21:17   Link #45
Strahan

Based on personal accounts rather than source. What I was trying to say was that I am not just theorizing, I had to deal with a crapload of drives that either did not spin up or did, then had tons of problems trying to get the data off. Sure, I shouldn't make generalizations but the thought of going through that again is sobering. I could try it, but I won't know if the gamble paid off for many years and by then I'm fucked if it didn't.

I'll have to dig out the papers we were sent by 3Par, I recall when it was listing the pros/cons of our archival solutions it also mentioned not to sit hard drive stored data on a shelf for long term. Of course, they were also trying to sell us their six figure storage solution, so I suppose I should take that with a grain of salt heh.

Don't get snarky; when I mentioned twenty years of experience I just meant I'm not some fifteen year old rehashing shit I've read online.
Old 2012-02-28, 22:10   Link #46
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Strahan, your situation is a bit different from most of the people on this forum's.

-Most of us running HDD's for storage have them in a server which is often always on. As in we aren't going to keep them on a shelf for a several years and try to get data off.
-There is a point of diminishing returns. I think that for most people storing anime, not important irreplaceable financial data, tapes are overkill.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-28, 22:27   Link #47
Strahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Strahan, your situation is a bit different from most of the people on this forum's.

-Most of us running HDD's for storage have them in a server which is often always on. As in we aren't going to keep them on a shelf for a several years and try to get data off.
-There is a point of diminishing returns. I think that for most people storing anime, not important irreplaceable financial data, tapes are overkill.
lol yea, true. My tape drive was $950, I seriously doubt most people want to invest that for anime. I was originally addressing the poster asking about dormant hard drive storage then got sucked into a debate and lost sight of the forest for the trees

I'd mention how I originally planned to use DVD-Rs but changed my mind after seeing discs having CRC errors when I try to copy them off a year or two later, but I'll hold that thought since it may start TheFluff back up again heh.
Old 2012-02-29, 13:22   Link #48
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
lol yea, true. My tape drive was $950, I seriously doubt most people want to invest that for anime. I was originally addressing the poster asking about dormant hard drive storage then got sucked into a debate and lost sight of the forest for the trees

I'd mention how I originally planned to use DVD-Rs but changed my mind after seeing discs having CRC errors when I try to copy them off a year or two later, but I'll hold that thought since it may start TheFluff back up again heh.
No, sorry for being snarky and rude. It's just that electrical motors just randomly dying after a while sounds really strange to me. Of course I could be entirely wrong about this, which is why I'd appreciate some better information about it.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 17:59   Link #49
Chandalen

Most hdd vendors state that drives should be spun/powered at least once every 6 months during storage. To lazy to search/confirm, but I believe I read this information on the techreport website.
Chandalen is offline   Reply With Quote