Notices

Old 2014-01-20, 10:20   Link #1861
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Ooh snap
The next TRPG updates (there's been like six now) is going to be on <Genius>

There's not very much info on these guys, the only details we know are from Kanami's gaiden.
There may be some juicy infodump coming.
+1 for more info

*lurks mamare.net some more*

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-20, 10:38   Link #1862
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Ooh snap
The next TRPG updates (there's been like six now) is going to be on <Genius>

There's not very much info on these guys, the only details we know are from Kanami's gaiden.
There may be some juicy infodump coming.
Oh that would be most interesting !
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-20, 20:02   Link #1863
DQueenie13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
To be honest, Minori also kinda rubs me the wrong way form volume 5 as well, but unlike DQueenie, I can't quite put my finger on a reason yet
Actually, my primary dislike for her probably stems from my natural animosity towards children (which seems to be anyone at least 2 years younger than me and whom I am not friends with), so Minori, who is a child relative to the rest of the cast, also naturally irks me.

Everyone else has very valid responses, though, for defending Minori. I just don't like her post-development, it felt not really rushed, but ... sudden, I suppose?

@Estavali: I don't think Minori's a Mary-Sue per se, she obviously has flaws, it's just that most of the major problems that she encounters are from events she can't control (i.e. the Rudy situation) and I don't think it can count as her flaw.
Old 2014-01-20, 20:07   Link #1864
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQueenie13 View Post
Everyone else has very valid responses, though, for defending Minori. I just don't like her post-development, it felt not really rushed, but ... sudden, I suppose?
Rushed? if you compare her to other heroines from other light novel or manga. Her development spans from vol 2 and slowly buds in vol 3 and 4 and goes into half bloom in vol 5. That is not rushed. Its considered even slow. Heck Log Hora's development is considered slow compare to other stories but the development in Log Hora is solid that I can't say its half baked done.

Minori indeed shine in vol 5 but she's still a newbie that can only do minor jobs. But she's in the right path
Old 2014-01-20, 22:27   Link #1865
DQueenie13

Looking back on Volume 4, Chapter 3, I realized why Minori could figure out the westies' strategy in volume 5 so quickly: she already witnessed saturation attacks in the form of the goblins' invasion.

Spoiler for quote in question:

Aaand ... random joke questions! (Because I saw such kinds of joke questions in a game I was playing and I'm really tired, my brain tumbles out nonsense when I'm tired. And also, be warned that I really like the Black Sword Knights because they seem to be a highly entertaining group.)

Will we ever see Isaac without his armor? Does he sleep in his armor and does it poke holes in beds? Could impaling someone on those spikes be an Overskill?

Will Henrietta actually be the second one to confess her feelings to Shiroe, mentioning it offhandedly and beating Minori and Akatsuki to the punch?

Will we ever find out the specific contents of that drama CD?

Does volume 8 occur at the same time as volumes 6 and 7 or is it after? What was the kiddy team doing during the entirety of volume 6?

Will we ever figure out if the WWB manga is canon-breaking? (I mean, I think the Isami-using-Souji's-Phantasmal-katana is, but other characterizations for the WWB members seems to be pretty manga-original.)
Old 2014-01-20, 23:01   Link #1866
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Aaand ... random joke questions! (Because I saw such kinds of joke questions in a game I was playing and I'm really tired, my brain tumbles out nonsense when I'm tired. And also, be warned that I really like the Black Sword Knights because they seem to be a highly entertaining group.)
Random joke questions require random semi-serious replies =3

Quote:
Will we ever see Isaac without his armor? Does he sleep in his armor and does it poke holes in beds? Could impaling someone on those spikes be an Overskill?
What? A weak bed for Issac? Foolishness! A tough man needs no frail wooden beds! Bring on that slab of solid granite! >=D

And I can see it now, Issac's Overskill: Man as Sword, fear my (pokey) Armor Tackle!!!

Quote:
Will Henrietta actually be the second one to confess her feelings to Shiroe, mentioning it offhandedly and beating Minori and Akatsuki to the punch?
H: *eyes on documents* Here's Akiba's financial report for last month.

S: *eyes on documents* Okay.

H: *eyes on documents* Lend me Akatsuki-chan for an hour.

H: *eyes on documents* Marry me.

S: *eyes on documents* Okay..... WAIT WHAT?!

Quote:
Will we ever find out the specific contents of that drama CD?
Calling for brave volunteers who can listen as well as they can translate! And CD suppliers too, naturally >=D

Quote:
Does volume 8 occur at the same time as volumes 6 and 7 or is it after? What was the kiddy team doing during the entirety of volume 6?
Volume eight should happen after six/seven iirc. Considering that the juniors' levels are around the mid-fifty range, they should have been working hard at the Art of Grind =3

Quote:
Will we ever figure out if the WWB manga is canon-breaking? (I mean, I think the Isami-using-Souji's-Phantasmal-katana is, but other characterizations for the WWB members seems to be pretty manga-original.)
For adaptations, the author sows seeds while the mangaka tends to them =3

And when harvest comes, the author comes along and claims his share, like those cruel landlords and loansharks =w=

Signature by liro
Old 2014-01-21, 00:00   Link #1867
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Well, my novel with CD is on its way, so.
Had to wait till my Aladdin figure and Lupin jazz CDs got to my proxy before shipping them all.
Old 2014-01-21, 06:57   Link #1868
Breimoon

wow juniors arleady lvl 55? They sure are grinding nicely xD wonder if they will make it in time to join to the main party to the final raid.
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-21, 09:19   Link #1869
kyou13
Kaoru&Mari FTW

Quote:
Actually, my primary dislike for her probably stems from my natural animosity towards children (which seems to be anyone at least 2 years younger than me and whom I am not friends with), so Minori, who is a child relative to the rest of the cast, also naturally irks me.

@Estavali: I don't think Minori's a Mary-Sue per se, she obviously has flaws, it's just that most of the major problems that she encounters are from events she can't control (i.e. the Rudy situation) and I don't think it can count as her flaw.
Glad that there's someone in the same boat as me.

For some reasons (mostly because I am a Akatsuki shipper and Minori got too much "screen" time in vol4), I, too, dislike her.

The Absolute control skill is one thing (we are talking about a skill that Shiroe's developed throught years of training gaming and here, a newbie with little to no exp got that same skill!? ), but let's put that aside for now.

If anything, the interaction between her and Shiro piques me quite greatly. In vol4, she should have known that Shiro was busy. Still, she just had to call him every night to tell him her unrelated adventure tales. And when Rudy died, one call and Shiro left his commanding post came right to her. Somehow, for me, it seems like everything just has to center around her in vol4 (well, I haven't read vol5 yet )

Well, maybe all my dislike towards her is caused by the fact that she's seemingly getting more "affection" (care) from mr.4eyes than Akatsuki
kyou13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-21, 09:41   Link #1870
bones

Heh, too little screen time, the character that I want to see most is Nureha. The most interesting characters for me are Shiroe, Raynesia and Nureha. Minori is the standard good hearted girl and Akatsuki is the standard character with an inferiority complex. It's very rare to see romance between the main character and someone like Nureha. If we're going down the standard romance route than I would prefer Minori but I would vastly prefer the author do something more original when it comes to romance.
bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-21, 09:48   Link #1871
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

<GENIUS> stuff are posted on Mamare's official page (by TRPG staff)!!

Reading..........

Done.

Not too much new info, but here's some stuff.

1. These unknown beings, written as "Calamity" and read as <Genius>, is a huge threat the world of Theldesia is facing. They aim to bring stagnation and weariness to the world by spreading death and decay.
2. There are over 90 <Genius> around, and only few of them are said to be active.
3. They did destroy all of the 13 Knight orders
4. At first they were thought to be just new monsters introduced by the Noosphere expansion. But this proved to be inaccurate, as they appear to be far more than just that. Their powers seem to work beyond the scope of the world's law, and they themselves seem to be something entirely beyond the boundary of the world.
5. They will be presented as the ultimate enemies the adventurers will face in the TRPG.
6. Their powers hold the secret of the world, and adventurers must defend Akiba and the entire Yamato against this powerful threat.

Last edited by aohige; 2014-01-21 at 10:02.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-21, 12:12   Link #1872
jasper222

submitted a localization for the Kannagi/Shaman, the Mananambal. this class can only be found in the SEA servers and specializes in potion healing (think merchant's acid demo in Ragnarok) and curses.
jasper222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-21, 13:29   Link #1873
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

I do wonder, how did they destroy the Knights Orders? If I recall correctly, the Landers did not see any signs of them being mobilized before the Apocalypse.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-21, 13:48   Link #1874
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
I do wonder, how did they destroy the Knights Orders? If I recall correctly, the Landers did not see any signs of them being mobilized before the Apocalypse.
it was mention lots of pages back. the Genius basically told the Ancients they weren't real but a bunch of program AI. they (except for Ellis) went into a catatonic state.

Any idea when Akiba will face the threat of the Genius?
Old 2014-01-21, 13:59   Link #1875
DQueenie13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
What? A weak bed for Issac? Foolishness! A tough man needs no frail wooden beds! Bring on that slab of solid granite! >=D

And I can see it now, Issac's Overskill: Man as Sword, fear my (pokey) Armor Tackle!!!
Of course, that's inferring that he sleeps in a bed. Maybe he's the type that sleeps sitting up.

Quote:
H: *eyes on documents* Here's Akiba's financial report for last month.

H: *eyes on documents* Lend me Akatsuki-chan for an hour.

H: *eyes on documents* Marry me.

S: *eyes on documents* Okay..... WAIT WHAT?!
I would think something like:

H: Ah ah~, Shiroe-sama, you're working so diligently. Doing this much work and not returning to the guild house for so long, you'd make a terrible husband. Girls like helping out no matter how unqualified they think they are. You have your own harem in the making, with two and almost three girls in it.

S: Harem? In the making? You're mistaking me for Soujiro.

H: Hm? Shiroe-sama, this is why you aren't catching girls like Soujiro-san is. Girls like me can put up with your kind of attitude, but ones that are completely in love with you need you to affirm them once in a while, and not just a "You did well."

S: ... When did you become a relationship counselor? And ... what do you mean by "Girls like me"?

Quote:
Volume eight should happen after six/seven iirc. Considering that the juniors' levels are around the mid-fifty range, they should have been working hard at the Art of Grind =3
They probably must've gone further out, then, but I would think that Minori and the junior team would try and help resolve the Murderer case even if they were told not to get involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
It was probably really soon after the Catastrophe. Inferring that Kanami left Rome almost as soon as the Catastrophe happened, she ran into Elias Hackblade not too long after and managed to save him. All the <Genius> monsters managed to seal the Knight Orders basically by revealing the truth that they're not real, then using the resulting despair to kill them.

I was wondering ... could the <Genius> monsters be GMs logged into their GM accounts during the time of the Catastrophe, who somehow didn't have their memories completely retained like most Adventurers and had their bodies warped? That would explain how they are aware of how the "game is," as well as each Ancient's weakness.
Old 2014-01-21, 14:16   Link #1876
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyou13 View Post
Glad that there's someone in the same boat as me.

For some reasons (mostly because I am a Akatsuki shipper and Minori got too much "screen" time in vol4), I, too, dislike her.

The Absolute control skill is one thing (we are talking about a skill that Shiroe's developed throught years of training gaming and here, a newbie with little to no exp got that same skill!? ), but let's put that aside for now.

If anything, the interaction between her and Shiro piques me quite greatly. In vol4, she should have known that Shiro was busy. Still, she just had to call him every night to tell him her unrelated adventure tales. And when Rudy died, one call and Shiro left his commanding post came right to her. Somehow, for me, it seems like everything just has to center around her in vol4 (well, I haven't read vol5 yet )

Well, maybe all my dislike towards her is caused by the fact that she's seemingly getting more "affection" (care) from mr.4eyes than Akatsuki
Oh, you don't say. I'm just catching up with the anime and don't plan to read the light novels however I'm curious so I got myself in here. Now that I've heard about this revelation of Minori's future emphasis, I'm starting to dislike her already. The appeal of LH for me is that the main characters are adults and I see the kiddies as side characters. I don't want to see them taking too much screen time from the adults. I do like Akatsuki and though I'm not really a big shipper of the OTP (Shiroe/Akatsuki), I do approve. In my mind, Akatsuki is an adult and she pairs up fine with Shiroe (but Minori is a kid and there's such thing as a Shiroe/Minori? Uh... ewww.) I don't like the idea of this turning some kind of harem type story line where all the girls go for Shiroe. That would ruin my fun. (Man, I just thought of LH so highly and all.) Let's hope the anime handles it better and I won't get to see a whole lot of Minori. (Sorry for the whining. I was just surprised at the future development.)
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-21, 14:28   Link #1877
DQueenie13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis View Post
Oh, you don't say. I'm just catching up with the anime and don't plan to read the light novels however I'm curious so I got myself in here. Now that I've heard about this revelation of Minori's future emphasis, I'm starting to dislike her already. The appeal of LH for me is that the main characters are adults and I see the kiddies as side characters. I don't want to see them taking too much screen time from the adults. I do like Akatsuki and though I'm not really a big shipper of the OTP (Shiroe/Akatsuki), I do approve. In my mind, Akatsuki is an adult and she pairs up fine with Shiroe (but Minori is a kid and there's such thing as a Shiroe/Minori? Uh... ewww.) I don't like the idea of this turning some kind of harem type story line where all the girls go for Shiroe. That would ruin my fun. (Man, I just thought of LH so highly and all.) Let's hope the anime handles it better and I won't get to see a whole lot of Minori. (Sorry for the whining. I was just surprised at the future development.)
I will warn you that your hopes will very much be dashed in terms of Minori. Volumes 4 and 5, in terms of females, has heavy emphasis on Minori and Raynesia. Akatsuki and even Henrietta get some more in volume 5 (what will be episodes 20-25, as far as I'm concerned), but development-wise, it still leans more towards Minori and Raynesia. I don't foresee the anime changing that too much; if anything, they'll cut out Henrietta's relationship development.

And I just realized another reason why I dislike Minori being paired with Shiroe: culture differences. Where I live, being 14 and in a romantic relationship with someone at least 4 years older than you is essentially criminal, and if not criminal, heavily frowned upon. I know someone who left school because she was teased so much for dating a college student while she was in middle school, so I'm still in the mindset of Large Age Difference = Bad End. There's also a difference between admiration and having a romantic interest in someone, so it's probably a culture thing where I find no reason for Minori to have a crush on Shiroe and so the romance feels rather stuck in.
Old 2014-01-21, 14:33   Link #1878
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
It was probably really soon after the Catastrophe. Inferring that Kanami left Rome almost as soon as the Catastrophe happened, she ran into Elias Hackblade not too long after and managed to save him. All the <Genius> monsters managed to seal the Knight Orders basically by revealing the truth that they're not real, then using the resulting despair to kill them.

I was wondering ... could the <Genius> monsters be GMs logged into their GM accounts during the time of the Catastrophe, who somehow didn't have their memories completely retained like most Adventurers and had their bodies warped? That would explain how they are aware of how the "game is," as well as each Ancient's weakness.
Hmmm, however one of Minami's ruling council is a GM himself and he has lost most of his GM powers.

Also, if the Ruby Genius are just brainwashed GMs, wouldn't that mean they themselves are pawns of a greater power and not the endgame enemies that the TTRPG implies?

Signature by liro
Old 2014-01-21, 14:44   Link #1879
DQueenie13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
Hmmm, however one of Minami's ruling council is a GM himself and he has lost most of his GM powers.

Also, if the Ruby Genius are just brainwashed GMs, wouldn't that mean they themselves are pawns of a greater power and not the endgame enemies that the TTRPG implies?
Really? Didn't hear that one. All I know is that guy who logged into his alt and got stuck in that one.

I wasn't thinking that they were particularly brainwashed, just that they, after becoming stuck in a monster body as a result of the Apocalypse, had their minds "shifted" to become more like a monster's. It's like how the Adventurers, as of volume 6, are becoming more like their avatars. The GMs-stuck-in-monsters'-bodies went through the same thing, except all of it was almost instantaneous.

And besides, if anything, all of this is caused by the Alvs, even if it might be residual magic.
Old 2014-01-21, 14:47   Link #1880
Nvis
Where are the good animes

I don't see how hundreds of thousands of adventurers worldwide have to fear ~90 <Genius>.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but can monsters enter Adventurer cities?
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate reality, database, economics, political theory, spoilers