AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-01-29, 02:14   Link #441
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

It's understated enough, and it echos previous Doctors. I don't mind it. I wonder what clothing jokes they'll use this time.
Old 2014-01-29, 05:04   Link #442
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Very Pertwee.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 09:55   Link #443
james0246

Great shoes, good vest, decent jacket, okay shirt and awful pants. I don't expect Capaldi to wear tight fitted pants or anything, but something with a little more design would have been nice.

Now he just needs a ring or something, an extra piece to really push the entire look over the top (in a good way).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 14:41   Link #444
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

He does have his wedding ring on. It is rumored that they'll use it as his sonic instead of the screwdriver. It was rumored that he'll make five new sonic devices, not like them, and give four to his friends (not sure if that means that Clara gets a sonic). That would be were Jenny, Vastra, and Strax get their Blue Peter designed sonics. The rumor suggests he keeps the sonic ring for himself...but what of the fifth sonic device?

Could that be the sonic screwdriver that he gave to River Song?
Old 2014-07-08, 11:23   Link #445
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube
Old 2014-07-08, 12:29   Link #446
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The voice frot eh third trailer sounds like a mixing of Davros and the modern Daleks.
Old 2014-07-31, 13:10   Link #447
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Doctor Who Series 8 trailer.

Old 2014-08-23, 14:25   Link #448
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

New series starts today in the UK. I skipped most of it when Matt Smith was the doctor - still not sure why I'm giving it another go, but I hope Capaldi makes it worth it
viperdk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-23, 17:09   Link #449
Dextro
He Without a Title

I just came back from the movie theatre where I watched the episode and I must say that I liked what I say. Peter Capaldi didn't start the episode particularly well for me but them, as time went on, it finally clicked and I started to love his rendition of the character.

Clara also played a rather big part in the episode which is already a massive improvement over the last season but I'll withhold any judgement of her characters involvement in the story until later in the season.

Oh and the New Intro is very different and very cool. It has a very retro feel to it which I like. I'd also like to point out that there are also new soundtracks for the show, apparently, which I much rather enjoyed listening.

I wasn't very hyped for the new season personally (mostly due to personal reasons unrelated to Dr. Who) but the episode got my interest back up which is good.
Old 2014-08-23, 18:27   Link #450
Dop
Mmmm....

Capaldi is brilliant, as can be expected, but Moffat needs to go. I get this feeling that Moffat's entire plot development strategy consists of sticking ideas on the wall and then chucking darts at them to see what he hits. Also, at some point during the writing of this episode he went "No, wait, didn't we already do something similar? Oh bugger, yes. Ah well, let's just make it a reference. Fanboys LOVE references!"

While Moffat wrote some good stories in the past, since he's been running the show he's just run any good idea he ever had (weeping angels, for example) into the ground.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-23, 19:35   Link #451
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hoipe to see the new Doctor soon. I enjoyed Matt Smith, but then it seems that Patrick Troughton seems to be my favorite Doctor at this time.
Old 2014-08-23, 21:16   Link #452
com_gwp

Is it possible to accuse the show of being too meta with Capaldi's introduction? Because that's what Deep Breath felt like; everything from "I'm-not-your-boyfriend" to the cyborg being a reflection (made quite literal in that one scene) of the Doctor's many regenerations.

With that said, Capaldi is predictably great and dons the role quite naturally. The premiere alone doesn't quite show what makes his Doctor distinct, but the episode does hint at something drastically different from Tennant and Smith's renditions.

Really, it was somehow Jenna that stole the show with the scene where she faced down the cyborg alone; brilliant bit of acting there.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-23, 22:49   Link #453
Xagzan

That was fun. Capaldi looks to be excellent.

And Jenna was kick ass...but then I already liked her

Still not very familiar with the series, so a lot of stuff might go over my head, but I'm just enjoying the ride.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-24, 03:50   Link #454
AntonKutovoi

So...A big bad of the season is Mary Poppins?
AntonKutovoi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-24, 12:07   Link #455
GDB

Enjoyed the episode, but not as much as I'd have hoped. Overall it felt somewhat similar to when Tennant had first regenerated, so I'm going to pin most of what I didn't like on that. If it continues throughout the season, then I'll be disappointed. I enjoyed all the meta references, but it felt like it was just a bit too much all at once. I liked that he actually called out Amy's name, though.

Never been a huge Clara fan; don't dislike her, but Amy's my favorite. I'd tie her with Rose at third (behind Martha), but hopefully she'll be more interesting as the season progresses.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-25, 02:30   Link #456
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

The bit with the Doctor running around being a hobo is a little too much methinks, it makes him too crazy.

Granted it is a direct reference to how the actor was portrayed in the Pompei episode, thus explaining why it is the same face. But still, it's not very doctor-like.
Old 2014-08-25, 16:19   Link #457
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Epi itself, the cyborgs didn't do much for me tho I was joking with a friend that now Moffat is trying to make people scared of breathing. I very much enjoyed Capadli as 12. Opening scene was crazy like most regenerations are. Loved all the little references to other epis. Moffat has said this Doctor is going to be darker then the last and Im looking forward to it. And sweet Jesus do I love that accent.

11 at the end <3 ahhhhh he's still my Doctor.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-26, 08:48   Link #458
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
But still, it's not very doctor-like.
Personally, I feel that was the best thing about this episode. It was unmistakably Doctor Who, but very different from Tenant and Smith. Capaldi was the perfect choice for a darker version of the Doctor.
Old 2014-08-26, 09:28   Link #459
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Personally, I feel that was the best thing about this episode. It was unmistakably Doctor Who, but very different from Tenant and Smith. Capaldi was the perfect choice for a darker version of the Doctor.
Agreed, one thing I loved about the 50th was how 10 and 11 seemed to copy each other. Several times they use the same hand to pull their Sonic, same foot to start walking. Though they had different faces/outfits it was almost as they still were the same person. I liked that since it seemed to fit the both of them. 12 will be different and I'm very excited about that.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-26, 09:52   Link #460
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

For me, the character himself seemed to contain more of both Bakers than anyone else, and the episode itself reminded me of the Pertwee era. As a fan of the original show that excites me, as does the fact that we have a grown up playing the role and he's one of the best actors around. The episode itself was mediocre (Paternoster is really getting on my nerves now, though not so much Strax) and Missy sets off a lot of alarm bells. But I'm dying to see where Capaldi can take the series.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction