Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-04, 22:08   Link #1
jbruns
Warez Kiddie

Action anime with romance

I'm looking for an action anime with romance in it as well. I recently finished Eureka 7 and liked it a lot. I also liked Karin even though there wasn't too much action in it. Are there any other comedy/action/romance animes out there? THanks.

Edit:
Thanks! So I watched Shakugan no Shana, Fate Stay Night, Tsukihime, am currently watching Zero no Tsukaima and also blasted through all the Full Metal Panic series. I really liked the tsundere aspects of Zero no Tsukaima and Shakugan no Shana as well as how there is some action mixed with romance and a fair amount of comedy. Any other similiar tsundere romance/comedies? Also ones that have a fair amount of closure (ie girl ends up with guy).

Last edited by jbruns; 2006-09-18 at 01:55.
Old 2006-06-04, 22:24   Link #2
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Shingetsutan Tsukihime, Elfen Lied, and Gungrave are among the few great anime possessing action and romance. All of them are well-made.
Old 2006-06-04, 22:59   Link #3
jedinat

The romance in all of those are depressing though.

Others you might try that aren't so depressing:
Inuyasha - <3 Kagome
RahXephon*- I remember really liking the romance in this anime for -okay I think this spoiler is too minor for a tag- the age discrepancy.
Rurouni Kenshin - The romance is better and a bit more developed in the manga; subtle
Ranma 1/2 - A ton of romantic themes, but almost no progress is made (it's filled with the frustrating 'everything "resets" itself by the end of the episode' plot device ) But the anime is often hilarious.
Shura no Toki - Watch the first two arcs, the third is kind of lame. The main char basically gets a girl in both arcs. If only they would tell you what happens next
Devilman Lady* - I liked this anime... if only it didn't start sucking near the end It's full of lesbian undertones I guess this suggestion doesn't even belong here, but it's not hurting anyone, so w/e
Escaflowne* - I really liked this anime when I saw it. It has a romance. But I remember the very end pissed me off, so this is my first time suggesting it to anyone.
Trigun - Okay, this is stretching it a bit. The romance is really subtle.

*I guess these could somewhat be considered depressing. Not overly so. (whether an anime is depressing or not is like my number one concern, if you haven't noticed )

Last edited by jedinat; 2006-06-04 at 23:13.
Old 2006-06-04, 23:02   Link #4
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

DNAngel - Basically an adolescent love story with the backdrop of a boy with duel personalities who has been raised to be a master theif...His alter-ego is an Angel with dark wings who has a legacy as the world's greatest theif...Daisuke Niwa (The DN in DNAngel) is in love with one of the twin sisters that he goes to school with, but one night he reveals himself as Dark Mousey (The Angel)...Now guess who she's in love with? This show has a few heart-melting scenes that trump anything you saw in Eureka SeveN, some so sweet you might die from sugar-poisoning^^...

While I'm only on ep 9 Samurai 7 seems to have some romantic elements in addition to incredibly awesome and stylistic action...It currently airs Saturday nights on the IFC channel, but it's availiable in other ways i assume...It's visual eye candy aswell...

ScryED - No one in god's name knows what the title of this show means, trust me I've been asking for 5 years, but it is ridiculously action-packed with hardcore shonen violence, but it does have a 3-way love story that takes place and a weird but sweet love story between Kazu-kun and the young girl that lives with him...It also has a couple of individual heart-melting episodes (The Ayasa eps for instance)...If you love action this one will supply it with some romantic elements aswell...

Obviously you should know about Inuyasha, if you don't it's probably the most over-dramatic romance-ish popular action anime in existence...It has no plot, but who cares?? It's all about the characters and their interactions and emotional struggles...Ohh, and finding Naraku (Which is like finding ham in a Muslim's fridge)...

----------------------------edited portion:

Ooops, Had to also mention FMP! (all of it's chapters), as it is indeed an action-romance-comedy type of series...And it's actually good in all catergories...

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2006-06-05 at 05:31.
Old 2006-06-04, 23:29   Link #5
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

But then again, it's a proven fact that tragedy etches itself longer and more effectively in the thoughts of man than comedy. I personally think that those anime > the anime you have chosen ...

To add, Cowboy Bebop is a great anime with action and romance. It just tears your heart watching it ... and the romance is so beatifully enmeshed with the fragmented story and broken characters that it heightens what is the inevitable end ...

I'm going to entice you with a wonderful part of the anime:

Spike: Look at these eyes. One of them is a fake, because I lost it in an accident. Since then, I have seen the past in one eye, and the present in the other. I had believed that what I saw was not all of reality...
Jet: So how is she, what's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The beautiful, dangerous kind of ordinary you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld...or maybe a devil from paradise.
Spike: I'm not going there to die. I'm going to see if I really am alive.

How love rebuilds and tears away - it's a great, great anime.
Old 2006-06-04, 23:59   Link #6
Rich
AnimeSuki's Hentai-sama

Send a message via ICQ to Rich Send a message via MSN to Rich
Shakugan No Shana

Fate/Stay Night

you guys forgot the popular ones^^
Old 2006-06-05, 02:51   Link #7
Nameless

Don't watch Fate/Stay Night. Wait a couple more weeks til it's over and people can tell you whether it ended nicely.

I'm a FSN watcher and right now the series has me 50/50 on whether I'll love it or hate it.
Old 2006-06-05, 02:55   Link #8
Nameless

Also, be specific about what kind of romance you want.

If you are okay with the romance ending in a sad way (Lover #1 and Lover #2 establish their feelings, only for #1 or #2 to die and leave the other person with no one), then there is a LOT of anime you could watch.

But if you want a happy ending, there are only very few titles you can limit yourself to:

Mai Hime
Galaxy Express 999
Gashville
Gundam Seed+Destiny (Seed 1 has a lot of deaths/heartbreak but Destiny makes up for it^^)

Depressing ones:
Cowboy Bebop
Evangelion
MAYBE Fate Stay/Night

Ones with NO development (Just beating around the bush, the guy avoiding it, being too shy to talk to the girl and never actually making a move):
Ranma
Love Hina
Most Shounen anime end up that way

There isn't a generic Action/Romance, it depends on how you want the romance to turn out.
Old 2006-06-05, 03:07   Link #9
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Just watch Cowboy Bebop. If the action won't pull you in, the heartache will.
That's similar to Shingetsutan Tsukihime as well, btw.
Old 2006-06-05, 03:51   Link #10
Nameless

He never said he wanted heartache. When he specifies you can suggest all the loser/depressing anime you want.

If he doesn't specify depressing romance actions, then you have to suggest other stories. I'm sick of people getting punished for doing the right thing in FICTION stories.
Old 2006-06-05, 08:48   Link #11
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Pain helps man grow. Too much helps him die early.

He said action anime with romance. The best action anime with romance are often those where the hero dies at the end, or fails to get the girl. Note the word often. I'm just suggesting good anime to watch. I'd rather suggest Cowboy Bebop than Futakoi, honestly.
Old 2006-06-05, 21:14   Link #12
Shift_

Love hina has a full conclusion...if you watch the sequal Love Hina Again...but the manga >>>> the anime I just re-read the manga soooooo good.
Old 2006-06-06, 00:17   Link #13
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
He said action anime with romance.
Umm, no, he didn't (relevant part bolded)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbruns
Are there any other comedy/action/romance animes out there?
I don't see how you got *tragic* anything out of that.

To get back on topic: the only series I can think of that fit your requirements would be Kenshin (and I haven't seen it all, so it could very well not deliver on the promise of earlier episodes), Mai Hime/Otome, and Full Metal Panic. There are lots of romance + action series, lots of comedy + action, and lots of romance + comedy, but few that I find that use all three.

If we drop the action requirement down to occasional and look for series like Karin I can think of a bunch: Midori no Hibi, Magikano, School Rumble, and possibly Tsukuyomi Moon Phase.

You might also look at Tsubasa Chronicles, less on the comedy side, but it has some.

EDIT: I think we all understand what you think, but the point was that he didn't want tragic, he wanted comedic. Notice I'm not saying which I like and which I don't, nor am I making a value statement on your opinion, just pointing out that he's asking for comedies not tragedies.
Old 2006-06-06, 00:22   Link #14
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Kenshin didn't end well.

No, I only read the title - didn't really read his post, I rather skimmed it. His title says 'Action anime with romance,' so I replied from there. Personally, I think that most tragic action anime with romance are great anime.
Old 2006-06-06, 00:32   Link #15
jedinat

Quote:
Kenshin didn't end well.
If you stop watching where the anime starts to deviate from the manga it ends quite well. And I didn't dislike the remaining episodes nearly so much as everyone else seems to.
But it really is too bad they didn't just wait to make the anime until the manga ended. Though I actually didn't like the last arc of the manga much more than the anime's, the ending of the manga was quite well done.
Old 2006-06-06, 02:05   Link #16
tritoch

Gatekeepers, eventhough it didn't really end well with the romance thing.
Shadow Skill, not the one found here in animesuki. The R1 release.
Ayashi no Ceres and Fushigi Yuugi - heh, it was popular
Legend of Condor Hero - heh

Maybe you should tell us what you already saw.
Old 2006-06-06, 11:54   Link #17
Nameless

Quote:
Kenshin didn't end well.

No, I only read the title - didn't really read his post, I rather skimmed it. His title says 'Action anime with romance,' so I replied from there. Personally, I think that most tragic action anime with romance are great anime.
Not everyone has bad taste, try not to flame back and defend bad suggestions you made just because you didn't read the OP's post and only the topic.

Sorry if I seem harsh, but I get rather tired of people making blind suggestions of depressing anime and trying to defend those suggestions that weren't asked for, with yet more jibberish.

I suggest Mai Hime/Otome, Galaxy Express 999
Old 2006-06-06, 12:07   Link #18
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I wasn't flaming, really. But Kenshin didn't end well. And I told the truth - I read the title, skimmed through the post and didn't see that one. I wasn't defending myself, it was the truth.

But - well, if you see it that way - okay then.
Old 2006-06-06, 12:33   Link #19
lavielove

If you like Eureka7 , you should watch Sokyuu no Fafner first then watch RahXephon(jedinat already suggested).If you like Karin , try Honey and Clover (first season),it's from the same production Karin was made.Shakugan no Shana(J.C staff production) is a good action series but still lacking in romance.
Old 2006-06-06, 12:52   Link #20
rooboy
Umeboshi!

I'd second Shakugan no Shana, surely it has as much romance as E7 (I haven't seen all of E7)?