AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-10, 00:59   Link #1
Velrok

'Is K-On! inspiration for you?'

And by that I mean inspiration to grab an instrument and play one of these songs main characters play. So in other words, a discussion about K-On making you bring your old guitar from the closet or making you want to buy a new one. Appearently it affects most people as we can see more and more videos or people asking for tabs. And It would be nice to know whether these people are playing daily or just started thanks to K-On : ).

So how did it affect you? Is it just another comedy show or an inspiration?
Old 2009-05-10, 01:31   Link #2
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, it's another show to me, just like how Hidamari Sketch didn't compel me to go grab a pen and start drawing.
Old 2009-05-10, 01:54   Link #3
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

To me, personally, it's making me want to play the guitar even just an acoustic one. I've been wanting to learn how to play one for years. I just never got around to it though.

Guitar is one of my favorite instruments, too. Piano and violin tied for second. I've learned how to play the piano before, but nothing major in terms of concerts or similar.

I guess that'll be a start.
Old 2009-05-10, 02:15   Link #4
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

I used to play accoustic guitar (left) back in my high school days but quit before I even graduated.

The series itself is making me to play a guitar again, this time I'm planning to buy an electric guitar and maybe a fender with my savings.

I'll honestly say that this is the first series to have influenced me in any way.
Old 2009-05-10, 02:19   Link #5
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

It's got me interested in the musical instruments, but I don't think it's gone so far as to inspire me to try and learn to play any yet.
Old 2009-05-10, 06:44   Link #6
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I haven't picked up a guitar since my 17th birthday and this show made me want to give it another go. So, I guess you could say it influenced me somewhat.

Old 2009-05-10, 07:43   Link #7
Davyd

Amazing, each time I see K-on, I want to go play with my band.

I don't really like their songs, but seeing how much fun they have, it's a real inspiration.

And, more importantly, Mio is a bass player just like me ^^

"Wear your grudge like a crown of negativity. Calculate what you will or will not tolerate. Desperate to control all and everything. Unable to forgive your scarlet lettermen." (The grudge, Tool)
Old 2009-05-10, 08:44   Link #8
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

It reminds me that I haven't played any piano since last December when I left Mexico. I swear once I get a bigger room I will get myself an electronic piano with real weighted keys to practice
Old 2009-05-10, 09:34   Link #9
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

It didn't influence me that much, but considering how long I have played piano (10+ years), I may go back and try to play again since I haven't played for almost a whole year after I graduated high school.
Old 2009-05-10, 09:46   Link #10
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Well, K-On! was one of two factors that got me to repaint my bass, throw new strings on it, and pick it back up after a couple years hiatus, although it's probably the least justified compared to learning my cousin is in a new band and they're looking for a bassist...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-05-10, 11:07   Link #11
RhapsodyInBlue
lolwut?

Seeing them having fun during the festival as a reward of their hard work really inspired me to practice more with my keyboard. I usually don't practice everyday since I'm lazy but the show inspired me to practice daily at least 1-2 hours so that in the future my hard work will also be rewarded. Don't say "lazy".

Oh, before I do that, I need to buy a real piano instead of practicing on my crappy 61-key keyboard.
Old 2009-05-10, 11:33   Link #12
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I'm actually getting inspired to go back to singing again, too bad you don't get no respect if you can't hit tenor notes (I'm a natural Bass to mid-range Baritone).
Old 2009-05-10, 12:04   Link #13
Mr Bland
Photographers are sexy.

It actually has kinda nudged me to start playing the keyboard again...
Old 2009-05-10, 12:13   Link #14
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I'm actually getting inspired to go back to singing again, too bad you don't get no respect if you can't hit tenor notes (I'm a natural Bass to mid-range Baritone).
Nobody says you have to be a Bruce Dickenson to be a vocalist either...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-05-10, 12:22   Link #15
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

This doesn't, but it does remind me that I was in a high school rock band for a day. Though having a trumpet in a rock band was to be different, I just didn't have the improve skills since I wasn't a jazz player. They asked me to join them, so I did, when over for a rehearsal, found I just didn't have what they needed.
Old 2009-05-10, 21:33   Link #16
Fran~
floating away...

Inspiration?, maybe... but it takes me back to high school... good and bad things happen there, but to be in a stage sure is a good feeling, like i never felt so alive.
Old 2009-05-10, 21:43   Link #17
Justin Kim
*Artist

K-On! is sure to inspire future musicians. I am a classicist on the piano. I mainly play classical songs by famous composers, but occasionally if I like an anime song, I will transcribe it on the piano or just practice it with the sheet music people have already posted up on various websites. So technically I also play famous songs by artists in our modern world today such as Coldplay, One Republic, and Keane making covers of there songs on the piano, and usually anime covers for various shows or mangas I liked that had a soundtrack.

What K-On! Really makes me want to do is start multimedia keyboarding with an actual band or composing multimedia sounds, so I get the effects of 10 or so instruments in just one keyboard by adjusting the settings and telling it what to do.

This show really makes me envy those KORG keyboards some people can buy. I would love to have a KORG but as of the moment I am kind of stuck with a Yamaha Semi-Grand piano T_T.
Old 2009-05-10, 21:51   Link #18
Nappy Hared Azn
Check out my Rolek!

Inspiration? Not really. I've always been a musical kind of guy, and to be honest, I've always found the guitar to be rather over-rated. I mean, I like to listen to guitars, but I never felt the desire to play them, even though I play sax, piano, trombone, trumpet, and pretty much every non-stringed instrument common in jazz. Also, the music isn't really all that spectacular either. I've grown up listening to real rock, so my standards are pretty high . . . high to the point where the entire genre of J-rock just feels inferior. That's not to say that I don't enjoy the music, it's just that it doesn't fit very well into my definition of rock.

I watch the show for the show, not the music.
Old 2009-05-10, 22:15   Link #19
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy Hared Azn View Post
I watch the show for the show, not the music.
For as long as you and I have recognized each other as posters having various parallel mentalities, I think if it weren't for the music, we wouldn't have bothered with the show...

I don't know about you, but I sure as hell know that's the way it is with me...
Old 2009-05-10, 23:03   Link #20
Nappy Hared Azn
Check out my Rolek!

Actually, the reason I started watching was because I get a massive erection for anything by KyoAni, and the thing that keeps me watching (other than the animation quality) is the humor.

I'll concede the fact that the premise of a high school band that does nothing did intrigue me, but the the musical aspect of the show was never the deal breaker. However . . . I was really into the OP and ED at one point, but after "acquiring" the singles and listening to them for a few times . . . yeah. Oh, that Les Paul is incredibly sexy, though.