AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-11-27, 21:47   Link #3401
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Hey, I like that set. I just wished Dragon and Daedric armor be at least trimmed down enough that it looks functional than adorned with too many spikes and horns.
Aye, that's looking really good --- too often armor is "WoW Orc Stupid" (they can't even turn their head without stabbing themself in the eye, etc) or "Poledancing Stripper Absurd" (parts seeing daylight that make no sense at all even if we're just a thief).

Functional flair for the win.
Old 2012-11-27, 21:56   Link #3402
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I wasn't too happy with the barbarian look for the Dragonscale and Dragonplate helmets myself. The extra wings on my armor's helmet helps it stand a bit apart from regular ebony but more or less this armor is functional platemail. And stats-wise it'll be right there on par with Daedric, so you can pick this instead of Daedric if you want a best heavy armor.

On that matter, does anyone have a unique name for the armor set? Working name right now is Dragon Knight Armor. It was going to be called Ebon Drake Armor for a bit, but someone already came out with "Dragonbone Ebonsteel Armor", so that takes away the unique factor a bit. Dragon Knight is a little generic, but it'd work if it comes down to that. Naming full sets of armor is hard. >.>
Old 2012-11-27, 22:04   Link #3403
sa547
*Author

Candidates (generated through Google Translate):

Draconari Ultimum
Ultimate Tenebrosi armaturam
Draconis VENENO armaturam
Ultimate VASTATOR armaturam
Tenebrosi Bellator armaturam

Latin makes it more unique.
Old 2012-11-28, 00:05   Link #3404
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
After playing Chivalry and coming back to Skyrim for the afternoon... The combat now leaves me wanting more sadly.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-28, 09:09   Link #3405
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grylsyjaeger View Post
After playing Chivalry and coming back to Skyrim for the afternoon... The combat now leaves me wanting more sadly.
The TES was never a combat simulator. Fighting is just a way to track progress and to put to use all the combat skills you choose. It can always be done better, and in many ways it has massively improved since Daggerfall. But fights are just one part of the game.
Old 2012-11-28, 09:47   Link #3406
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
The TES was never a combat simulator.
True that; I played the game for the adventure, not Soul Edge.
Old 2012-11-28, 10:15   Link #3407
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
True that; I played the game for the adventure, not Soul Edge.
And frankly, Bethesda almost certainly wanted the game the way it is. The issue with having fights that are too intricate, is that gamer skill would start to over-ride your character's statistics and perks. And then it isn't an RPG anymore.

My character in Skyrim got stronger not because I got better at combat, but because I levelled her up and raised the character's abilities. The Role had to matter more, it is the Dragonborn that is suppose to get better, not the person playing the game.

By all means, there are many ways to play more efficiently, and as such player skill will matter. (In Daggerfall there is almost no player skill as weapon hits are randomised by RNG) But too much emphasis on player skill would mean the character disappears.

When one play a fighting game like Tekken, one isn't the polygons you see on screen. You don't really care what the game character's role in the game is, the focus is the player and how one squeeze victory through pure finesse. This means if you win such a game, it is only because you earned it and nothing in the game helped you.

In TES and most other RPGs there is intentional removal of some player control in battle so that your game character has a greater say in the outcome. Like how low gun skills in Fallout 3 means you have increased random chance to miss no matter how accurately the player aim. In RPGs you focus on making your in-game character stronger, and player skill is just a bonus.
Old 2012-11-29, 15:42   Link #3408
DuoRanger
Banned

i hope that someday we'll see a Project nevada for skyrim, or a Baldur's Gate AD&D leveling mod
DuoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 16:06   Link #3409
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

So I underestimated how popular my armor idea's getting. Someone donated me an extra $50 to get the female armor paid off, which hothtrooper44 accepted. So my armor now officially has full support. Male version, female version, beast race support, beard support, full ground models, and will have a public release and likelihood of being included in Immersive Armors. Woo.
Old 2012-11-30, 16:26   Link #3410
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
So I underestimated how popular my armor idea's getting. Someone donated me an extra $50 to get the female armor paid off, which hothtrooper44 accepted. So my armor now officially has full support. Male version, female version, beast race support, beard support, full ground models, and will have a public release and likelihood of being included in Immersive Armors. Woo.
Good job. I had just about stopped looking for armor for reasons I stated earlier (stripper vs fantasy warhammer spikes poke eyes out). Looking forward to this.
Old 2012-11-30, 22:54   Link #3411
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
My character's body is ready.
Old 2012-12-02, 18:17   Link #3412
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm not asking "which is best" - just wondering who is using what. I've been using CBBE simply because its been around the longest? but there's quite a few UNP armors. Some of them are useable on either but most have clipping issues.

So, do you use CBBE or UNP, and what about any variants (slim, skinny, etc)?
Old 2012-12-02, 18:24   Link #3413
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I use default UNP, mainly due to knowing dimon's previous work on the Type 3 bodies for Fallout 3 and New Vegas. It also helps that CBBE doesn't seem to have any armor conversions that aren't skimpy/stripperiffic that I know of (than normal, I suppose, looking at the fur armors...), whereas UNP has exeter providing dedicated armor conversions for the body type that aren't sexualized. Immersive Armors also has a patch exeter made for UNP.

On the other hand, UNP doesn't have much in the way of custom-made armors. Some of the really nice armors I've seen, like the Demon Hunter armor, are made for CBBE and not UNP.
Old 2012-12-02, 19:17   Link #3414
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That rather matches my thinking ... the CBBE offerings are far too often "stripperific" -- think I'm going to sit down for a few hours and switch over to UNP because it seems like more and more of the armor I like is focused on that tree. Just more of a fan of "functional but stylish" or "sexy but not stupid suicidal"
Old 2012-12-02, 19:25   Link #3415
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Game looks and feels awesome, but I have had trouble getting immersed in it. I sometimes attribute this to lack of time, but I plowed through my first play through of Final Fantasy VI a few months back so I know that's likely not the case. A friend of mine told me to branch away from the main quest initially rather than strictly adhere to it - thoughts by any hardcore Skyrimmers out there? The game seems so cool I want to have fun with it, lol.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 19:26   Link #3416
DuoRanger
Banned

unfortunatelly its hard to find a non-stripperrefic armor for CBBE these days, im using LL to get some non skimpy conversions

Last edited by DuoRanger; 2012-12-02 at 19:55.
DuoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 19:33   Link #3417
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Game looks and feels awesome, but I have had trouble getting immersed in it. I sometimes attribute this to lack of time, but I plowed through my first play through of Final Fantasy VI a few months back so I know that's likely not the case. A friend of mine told me to branch away from the main quest initially rather than strictly adhere to it - thoughts by any hardcore Skyrimmers out there? The game seems so cool I want to have fun with it, lol.
I have the most fun almost ignoring the main quest story line. Just tripping around as a merc/adventurer and falling into messes.
Old 2012-12-02, 19:56   Link #3418
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I do what I can to weave the main quest progression into side quests and such. Like on the main quest, stopping into the Whiterun's inn and getting into a drinking contest with a guy named Sam... waking up in the middle of the night at Markarth afterwards, and getting embroiled in a conspiracy within the city as a result... that sort of thing.
Old 2012-12-02, 22:48   Link #3419
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm not asking "which is best" - just wondering who is using what. I've been using CBBE simply because its been around the longest? but there's quite a few UNP armors. Some of them are useable on either but most have clipping issues.

So, do you use CBBE or UNP, and what about any variants (slim, skinny, etc)?
I once used CBBE to wear a sailor-uniform outfit (some of you have seen it) but had a texture problem that made it invisible in water. However, I really wanted my character to look normal and A-cup as possible, so I switched over to UNP's skinny variant and am happy with it ever since.

Quote:
It's better to do the sidequests and everything else first; helps gain much level and expertise, and good loot, saving the main quest for last by the time you're past level 60-70, enough HP to deal with the final boss.
Old 2012-12-03, 03:43   Link #3420
bigdeal000
malefic

Quote:
As everyone already answered, just explore. Skyrim is huge and you can just wander aimlessly, do random quests from random people, pick up flowers and follow headless ghosts to the middle of nowhere. Immersion isn't it's strong point, so if you want to be absorbed into a great storyline - well, it won't happen.
bigdeal000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bethesda, elder scrolls, rpg, skyrim