AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-29, 16:14   Link #681
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Ikuhara said penguins are not the only animal companions to appear in the series. So if I had to guess I say the skunk is Yuri's animal companion (hence the mark). It fits, since Yuri knew Ringo was after Tabuki, and the skunk was clearly set agaist Ringo the whole episode.
But ugh... there was a televised live bulletin going on about finding the skunk. And other people, including Ringo, can see it. I guess it's a different type of companion then. A plausible idea though.

And while they were indeed over the top and a tad bit too long, the cardboard theaters were the best part of the episode. No hate please.
Old 2011-07-29, 16:24   Link #682
Sides

In the OP there is a black penguin. Do the penguins have magical powers besides being invisible, like shape-shifting ?
Old 2011-07-29, 16:36   Link #683
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
In the OP there is a black penguin. Do the penguins have magical powers besides being invisible, like shape-shifting ?
I don't know about shape-shifting, but the black penguin in the OP is probably
Spoiler for interview with Ikuhara:
In any case, I think the series is more about death than about fate. Or more precisely about how death affects people's lives (and their fate?). There is something about death related to Ringo too, but I can't talk about that here for obvious reasons....
Old 2011-07-29, 16:43   Link #684
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Ep 4 was fabulous lol.
Old 2011-07-29, 18:48   Link #685
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

The goddamn penguins are just out of control ?!
Old 2011-07-29, 19:50   Link #686
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Wait, did we need to spend an entire episode on this? Oh well, mock theater for the win!

Anyhow, I felt this episode was boring some places, but there were a lot of funny parts, like the penguin looking like its gonna save her but lolololol it just wants fish. Also, that is one deep pond..

Last part is ominous enough to be intresting.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-29, 19:52   Link #687
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
There is something about death related to Ringo too, but I can't talk about that here for obvious reasons....
SO is there a thread on here for discussing the novel? I haven't read it, but I wouldn't mind being spoiled...
Old 2011-07-29, 20:48   Link #688
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I was a bit disappointed in Episode 4 myself. I agree with Reckoner, I think it was the weakest episode thus far.

The comedy bits were much more hit-and-miss in this episode for me. Too often it felt to me like it veered into standard anime comedy territory, almost like something you could find in any old slapstick comedy anime show.

With this in mind, I actually liked the cardboard theater bits the best, as they seemed the least conventional to me, and genuinely a bit clever (if not creative) at times. However, I will admit they were perhaps used a bit too much.

While Penguindrum does anime comedy well, I think that this comedy works best when its used within the framework of a genuinely suspenseful plotline (as was the case in the last two episodes). With this in mind, I just couldn't bring myself to truly care about Ringo's romantic woes in this episode. In fact, Ringo herself lost some of her luster in this episode for me, in how she so totally and crudely turned on the brother that joined her. Not saying it's out of character for a stalker - of course it isn't - just that it made me like Ringo less than I did before, and I'm not sure if that's good or not.

In fairness, likable yanderes can be tricky to pull off, at least based on what I've seen of them recently.
Old 2011-07-29, 20:53   Link #689
Shadow5YA

The number of delusions Ringo had was a bit overkill. One or two of that diorama style drama would be fine, but after a certain point it just got really old.
Old 2011-07-30, 01:07   Link #690
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
With this in mind, I just couldn't bring myself to truly care about Ringo's romantic woes in this episode. In fact, Ringo herself lost some of her luster in this episode for me, in how she so totally and crudely turned on the brother that joined her. Not saying it's out of character for a stalker - of course it isn't - just that it made me like Ringo less than I did before, and I'm not sure if that's good or not.
I think that's sort of the point though...unless you identify with stalkers, Ringo isn't a character that's supposed to be immediately relatable. She's a bit of a fruitloop with the destiny stuff and clearly has relationship issues. While the situations she gets herself in are mostly comedic, there's still a subtle creepy undertone to them, something that's brought out in full force at the end of the episode (if she's really the one responsible for it), and I can't wait to see where it goes from here. This show continues to surprise and impress with its twists.

Old 2011-07-30, 01:39   Link #691
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
*sigh*

Well, to be honest I didn't really like Ringo in earlier eps either ... hopefully this this will be a "rock bottom" experience and we will not have to see more of Ringo's ... erm ... distasteful behavior. -_-

I must admit though ... I was not expecting a skunk to pop up....
Old 2011-07-30, 02:38   Link #692
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
I thought it is an "Emperor Penguin", which yeah possibly is the one who is possessing Himari. However the Penguin Queen, even when we don't really know her original form yet, seems to be humanoid through considering her sense of fashion...

The black penguin could also be the penguin of the final boss of this series..
Old 2011-07-30, 02:42   Link #693
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
....The black penguin could also be the penguin of the final boss of this series..
For some reason I thought this might be the case....
Old 2011-07-30, 07:33   Link #694
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Are these penguins up for sale somewhere yet? :3
Old 2011-07-30, 08:09   Link #695
Kirarakim

I really liked this episode...I liked that Sho played a bigger part in Ringo's story and I actually enjoyed the cut outs (they reminded me of Rose of Versailles)

I do hope and expect the series to get darker but I am enjoying the comedy for now. And the ending was certainly something. I can't make up my mind if it was Ringo or the Juri look a like that pushed that girl in the end.
Old 2011-07-30, 10:48   Link #696
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I don't care how insane Ringo is. I have decided she is adorably awesome. Her fantasies and her brilliant plans that pretty much always backfire are too much fun.

Let's destiny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I do hope and expect the series to get darker but I am enjoying the comedy for now. And the ending was certainly something. I can't make up my mind if it was Ringo or the Juri look a like that pushed that girl in the end.
It's

Spoiler for potential spoiler:

Right now, I'm interested in why that girl was pushed. Is it a way to set Kanba up? He just had an argument with that girl in front of several other girls, and then that girl is pushed form an escalator... he'll definitely be on the suspect list.
Old 2011-07-30, 11:24   Link #697
Kirarakim

Ah I didn't notice the sleeves, thanks for that
Old 2011-07-30, 13:28   Link #698
Ronny

Some speculation about the end I hope people will try and participate in (already happened mostly clearly lol):

Spoiler for Final Moments of ep 4:

Last edited by Ronny; 2011-07-31 at 06:55.
Old 2011-07-30, 14:10   Link #699
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

I'm seriously finding it hard to follow the story, because I can't take my eyes off of the penguins as they chew the scenery in the background. In #2's case, he actually is often LITERALLY chewing the scenery. I like how no one cares how he was trying to swallow #3 whole. I have to admit, though, I laughed at the fake-out of #2 swimming down towards Ringo. Awesome.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who immediately suspected the skunk of being the actress' familiar. It really seemed out to ruin Ringo's day.

Regardless of who the murderer(?) is, I found it chilling how contentedly Ringo marked the page with her stamp at the end. After an entire episode of her rom-com antics, and demented musical daydreams, it was a bit of a shock to the system to be reminded how dangerously obsessed with fate she is. If she was really there, even just to witness it and make sure it happened, that's the red flag of a sociopath. Obviously we won't know for sure until next episode, but that's how I read it.
Old 2011-07-30, 15:17   Link #700
Slick_rick

I doubt Ringo had anything to do with this. She seems very liberal in the way she interprets the diary but this entry itself is fairly vague. It seemed like we were missing something in that entry. What was so interesting about the woman with red heels to deserve mention. If it said the woman fell or pushed then that might be incriminate her but I do see it yet.

The new girl seems to fit the clothing so its might be her but we this might be to mislead us. We don't know enough about what she wants or what she's like to really know.

I'd say Kanba is shady as hell with his lock picking and spying skills. I don't know how he's involved but the new girl seems interested in him for some reason. Though I also think a lot of other people have secrets that aren't as obvious yet.

Tags
drama, ikuhara, penguin, stalking, supernatural, surrealism