AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On!! (Second Season) - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 55 65.48%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 22.62%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 8.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 3.57%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-09, 22:57   Link #221
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've now watched this episode a couple of times and noted the story construction, the dialog interplay, the comedic timing -- and just the illumination of the friendship of Ritsu and Mio. Most of the episodes this season have been "8" but this one I think deserves a "10".

Extra karma for the number of times Azusa called "ROFL" at Ritsu but yeah, this was some decent storytelling.

Really, this is approaching "Little Women, 21st C., Japan-style".
Old 2010-08-09, 23:17   Link #222
VEE

Send a message via MSN to VEE
This is one of the episode that i can't stop playing.

And notice, Haruhi's VA( aya hirano) is one of the classmates.
Old 2010-08-09, 23:22   Link #223
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wait, What?
Old 2010-08-09, 23:23   Link #224
shyezrylei
Intoxicated Guitarist

Send a message via MSN to shyezrylei Send a message via Yahoo to shyezrylei
^ I second this!
Old 2010-08-10, 00:02   Link #225
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEE View Post
This is one of the episode that i can't stop playing.

And notice, Haruhi's VA( aya hirano) is one of the classmates.
No...
http://j1m0ne.soup.io/tag/hirano_mai
Old 2010-08-10, 00:49   Link #226
roankun
Tsundere Lover

I almost flipped out when I read that post. I thought "and here I prided myself for recognizing Aya's voice whatever the anime..."

平野 綾 Hirano Aya
平野 妹 Hirano Mai (although the kanji is for imouto...)
Old 2010-08-10, 01:27   Link #227
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

There is one part which Mio says "I will leave it to my twin sister", but it is vocalised as "imouto", which is little / younger sister.

So which is which? If it is her twin, she has none, but if it is her younger sister, it would be Azunyan.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-08-10, 01:38   Link #228
roankun
Tsundere Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
There is one part which Mio says "I will leave it to my twin sister", but it is vocalised as "imouto", which is little / younger sister.

So which is which? If it is her twin, she has none, but if it is her younger sister, it would be Azunyan.
She said "futago na imouto" I think. futago (twin) imouto (younger sister) So her younger twin sister.
Old 2010-08-10, 08:30   Link #229
Dop
Mmmm....

Satoshi's spit-take was such great comic timing that I did exactly the same thing myself.

My favourite part was when Mio realised the only way to play Romeo was to play him as if Ritsu was playing him, and Ritsu found the only way to play Juliet was to play her as if Mio was playing her. Up to that point I had been expecting them to swap roles, but not in that way.
Old 2010-08-10, 09:36   Link #230
VEE

Send a message via MSN to VEE
I'm pretty sure that''s Hirano Aya.

her line was : you guys are partner right. Go and protect her!!
Old 2010-08-10, 10:39   Link #231
roankun
Tsundere Lover

As a dedicated Aya fan, I'm pretty sure that wasn't her. Besides, in the ED credits:

green underline=kurasumeito/classmate
green arrow=Hirano Mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by roankun View Post
平野 綾 Hirano Aya
平野 妹 Hirano Mai
Old 2010-08-11, 14:40   Link #232
VentAileron

About a certain joke in this episode. It always bugs me when I don't get a joke, and it usually is my fault. I think we can all agree that K-ON! has some pretty simple humor, where the joke is pretty obvious, even without the characters explaining the joke themselves. But this one...

Anyway, it's the scene where the cast just changed into the cafe uniforms (noticed that I'm avoiding words?...). It's the joke that ends with Mio sobbing in a corner with a depressing aura all around her. Where the joke starts? I don't know, the starting line might be where Mio answers Ritsu's question "Where is it tight?" (Chihiro's subs). Or it could start even earlier with Yui saying "It's tight.".

So umm...anyone care to explain the joke to me? I get the feeling it should've been ridiculously funny, but I only got a "Huh?" when watching it. And yes, I've my own 'theories' (oh man, it's just a joke), but I just want to hear one definite answer! And I bet I'll facepalm myself after reading it.
Old 2010-08-11, 14:49   Link #233
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

This joke starts because the uniforms are tighter around their bodies than before. The joke itself is based on a gag about Mio worrying about her wieght from the first season. Both Yui and Mio's uniforms were tight, and Mio hoped it would be tight in the same place, but since Yui said her's was tight in the chest, Mio feels two things...one that she's getting fatter, and two, Yui's chest is growing but her's didn't. But mostly her depression is because she thinks she's getting fat and she admitted it by saying her uniform was tight around her waist.
Old 2010-08-11, 14:51   Link #234
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

^^
edit
crap Ninjaed Again and better explained
Old 2010-08-11, 16:43   Link #235
VentAileron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
This joke starts because the uniforms are tighter around their bodies than before. The joke itself is based on a gag about Mio worrying about her wieght from the first season. Both Yui and Mio's uniforms were tight, and Mio hoped it would be tight in the same place, but since Yui said her's was tight in the chest, Mio feels two things...one that she's getting fatter, and two, Yui's chest is growing but her's didn't. But mostly her depression is because she thinks she's getting fat and she admitted it by saying her uniform was tight around her waist.
I'm...still not totally convinced, for two reasons. I can agree with you with most of the things you said, but the thing is that they put a lot of lines in the joke for it to be as easy as Mio worrying about her weight.

You say it's tighter than before, but I don't remember them wearing those, nor does the dialogue between Azusa and Tsumugi suggest that, though Mugi's sentence is a bit confusing. (again, using Chihiro's subs here).

Azusa: "You told them what sizes we'd need, didn't you?"
Tsumugi: "Yes, but because we may be going through a period of growth, they said it might not fit."

Now the question arises when they asked 'them' to make those outfits. The most obvious thing to assume is that the cast asked to make those outfits after the decision was made to give Mio 'special training'. I doubt the time between this scene and the decision making would be months and I hardly doubt you could grow that much in a few days or weeks.

And about the other two marked sentence parts, I feel like you're adding those in yourself. Or I am missing something, or you added them in for yourself to make the joke fit and complete. Proof me wrong by answering these questions with quotes from the series itself or own interpretation (read: not adding stuff):
Why would Mio want Yui's outfit to be tight at the same spot as hers? I mean...why would she care?
And why would Mio want her chest to grow bigger?

Only way I think to resolve this whole mess is...no, I'll let you do the talking.

And yes, I'm taking this very seriously. I love the comedies that I watch. I like to understand them and separate the good jokes from the bad.

Last edited by VentAileron; 2010-08-11 at 17:07.
Old 2010-08-11, 17:48   Link #236
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

These are the same outfits they wore when they were trying to get Ui and Jun to join the Light Music Club less than two years earlier. They just needed Azusa's sizes because she wasn't there. The only thing actually missing from the original joke was Sawako being present asking what adjustments she needs to make to them. (This joke was in the manga, volume 3 cover omake)

Mio likely doesn't care if Yui's chest is getting bigger, or that her own hasn't grown, but she was hoping Yui was also talking about her own waist getting bigger so she wouldn't feel she's getting fat. She's embarrassed to say anything in the first place, got some hope she could say something because Yui was going to say it as well, then Yui said something different...so Mio's in the corner embarrassed that she'd getting fat.
Old 2010-08-12, 05:26   Link #237
VentAileron

Ah. That's some time ago about those outfits. When did they make Azusa's outfit then?

I accept your explanation, but if I would follow your way of interpreting the joke, it would become too complicated for a joke that ends with Mio's weight. It would be a pretty bad joke if you ask me.

But! My friend told me this: "You don't get it because it's a girl-thing."
I said "A girl-thing? You mean getting bigger or smaller in the right directions?"
Using this as a general consensus makes the joke a lot easier, since in your last explanation, you kept saying that Mio hoped for this or that where I doubt she wasn't hoping for anything at all.
So with the general consensus you don't need any further justification for Mio being depressed and you've added both the elements (waist and chest) into the joke.

Yay! I got a satisfying answer.

Thanks for helping Ithekro, especially reminding me of when the costumes were made, since that kept bugging me.