AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Little Busters

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-29, 15:39   Link #1261
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

The PV looked absolutely fine. JC's backgrounds look just fine, and the animation is pretty good. I actually dig the character designs personally.
Old 2012-07-29, 15:41   Link #1262
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

You'll know it's a key work once you start bawling your eyes out

Arturia

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Old 2012-07-29, 15:42   Link #1263
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
But it doesn't really look that much like Little Busters. If I hadn't known this was a KEY work beforehand, I doubt I would be able to tell that it was.
What do you mean by "it doesn't really look that much like little busters"?
Old 2012-07-29, 15:45   Link #1264
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
What do you mean by "it doesn't really look that much like little busters"?
If you would compare the character designs they're using here to the ones used in the Clannad or Angel Beats anime, they don't really look that similar at all.
Again, I'm saying nothing here about the actual quality of the adaptation; all we have to go on right now is the visuals, and quite frankly I feel they're inferior to what they could have and should have been.
Old 2012-07-29, 15:46   Link #1265
Shiina
ガ━━Σ(゚Д゚|||)━━ン!!

I got bored and redid the faces a little. Please do not take this as anything other than me being bored~

Spoiler for spoiler for space:
Old 2012-07-29, 15:59   Link #1266
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
If you would compare the character designs they're using here to the ones used in the Clannad or Angel Beats anime, they don't really look that similar at all.
They look quite similar to the character designs from the game, with the compromise that (unlike the game) they all now have a cohesive design from a single character designer. Even the various character designs from various Key games don't necessarily look all that cohesive when put side-by-side. Little Busters was itself particularly egregious in this regard.

If you're just saying you like the character designs from the other anime better than this one... well, that's the job of the anime character designer. I do think it's a bit of a different approach, but it's more a matter of taste.
Old 2012-07-29, 16:00   Link #1267
com_gwp

Quote:
Again, I'm saying nothing here about the actual quality of the adaptation; all we have to go on right now is the visuals, and quite frankly I feel they're inferior to what they could have and should have been.
On the contrary, I thought they stuck to Na-ga and Itaru Hinoue's designs quite well, with the proportions much improved here. Key can never seem to get that right in their art.

The only thing here is JC staff's trademark usage of saturated color fills. It somwhat fits, because LB had a very bright palette to begin with, but with the lack of shading, lining, and artistic details that is so typical of JC staff works, it makes it look far worse than the two comparisions you brought up.

It still is faithful to the original design though, and across the board, I'm able to tell quite distinctly that it's all Key's style.

As it stands though, this is already one of JC staff's better efforts I've seen in awhile, putting it in line, or even above Ano Natsu, and from the PV, the characters looks great in motion, much better than the staunted, choppy animation I'm used to seeing from JC staff. (Although, at this point, it looks to me as if they're merely increasing the FPS. Big anime = Big budget, I guess?)

Last edited by com_gwp; 2012-07-29 at 16:10.
Old 2012-07-29, 16:14   Link #1268
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
As it stands though, this is already one of JC staff's better efforts I've seen in awhile, putting it in line, or even above Ano Natsu
Frankly I thought AnoNatsu looked way better than this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
They look quite similar to the character designs from the game
Nn, no, no they don't. Some characters look fine, sure, but others have been genericized to hell and back.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Images
Images
Images
Images
Images
Images
Old 2012-07-29, 16:27   Link #1269
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

^^ I personally think that all the characters look mildly better. The only one I kind of dislike is Mio. The rest is pretty well done.

I mean for all I knew you people worked JC to be a new Toei... God those drawings for Kanon....

Arturia

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Old 2012-07-29, 16:29   Link #1270
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I found the animation to be quite good, not at all horrible. I wont be doing any why no Kyoani since that has all been done before. But, I'm not very happy with the style transitions as I'm a huge fan of Itaru's work and see that most of it is lost. Na-Ga's style is also somewhat lost in the eyes.. The style isn't horrible like Toei's version XD. I guess I will have to wait and see what an episode will look like.

Thanks Kaisos for comparison
Old 2012-07-29, 16:29   Link #1271
com_gwp

Quote:
Nn, no, no they don't. Some characters look fine, sure, but others have been genericized to hell and back.
I'd like to know what you mean exactly by genericized, because from your images, my belief that JC staff did a rather faithful intepretation just seems be reinforced to me

And like I've mentioned, they also changed/improved on the proportions of most characters (Komori's uguu face oh thank god )

If you're talking about the lack of lining/shading/details, two things to take note

1) You can't go reasonably comparing VN portraits to an animation still. It's typical for the VN art to usually be a lot more intricate (Subverted, of course, by Kyoani. Multiple times. But I promised not to bring them up here )
2) LIke I've mentioned before, this is one of JC staff's worse habits in their animations, something which I can't really stand for as well
Old 2012-07-29, 16:30   Link #1272
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Do you want me to say "yes, yes, yes they do"? The biggest difference is that the character designs have a unified look now (which the originals did not), and a style that will be well-suited to animation (which the original was not). Now, whether you like this particular character design's art style compared to others is, again, a preference, but I don't think anyone's been "genericized to hell and back".
Old 2012-07-29, 16:30   Link #1273
leokiko

Now that you made the comparison...it does look kinda bad. But I won't bash it at least until the first episode airs.
Old 2012-07-29, 16:32   Link #1274
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Frankly I thought AnoNatsu looked way better than this.

Images
Images
Images
Images
Images
Images
Images
UOU, When you put them side by side it really shows some of the problems. For one the eyes have been toned down quite a lot (and while the game ones were huge I kind of like them). I was going to list them one by one but most have actually turned very generic indeed that it's hard to pick one.

I'll just note that I'm not claiming that the Key designs are anything spectacular but when you redesign them and end up with the chins even MORE triangular than you started with you have to expect a few critiques.
Old 2012-07-29, 16:33   Link #1275
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The eyes general are smaller than their orignal Key counterparts. But aside from tha they are mostly similar.

Best guess it Kyoani will still have a one up on the eyes department.

But as they say, "at least its not Toei".
Old 2012-07-29, 16:35   Link #1276
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
For one the eyes have been toned down quite a lot (and while the game ones were huge I kind of like them).
And thank goodness,I'd be willing to send flowers to JC Staff HQ to thank them for that,I'm darn allergic to Key eyes
Old 2012-07-29, 16:35   Link #1277
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

the animation looks good, but it looks like the pv is made of OP or ED scenes wich cant be used as a reference to the actual animation.
Old 2012-07-29, 16:36   Link #1278
Kamiorika

I actually think I like the anime designs more than the VNs. Except for maybe Mio's.
Old 2012-07-29, 16:37   Link #1279
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
But as they say, "at least its not Toei".
Oh I wouldn't know about that. Sure, their failures linger in my memory, but I have to admit, I was very impressed by Kyousogiga. Imagine what they could do on a big budget and with a good director?
Old 2012-07-29, 16:38   Link #1280
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamiorika View Post
I actually think I like the anime designs more than the VNs. Except for maybe Mio's.
Mio's design is quite bad indeed, kinda lost her "peaceful" aura.
Closed Thread

Tags
anime game, little busters