AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-04-19, 00:44   Link #1
cindialai
Tsukimori

Send a message via MSN to cindialai
Anime viewer ratings in Japan?

I want to find out which Anime is popular in Japan, where can I find the weekly ratings online? Thanks in advance...
Old 2004-04-19, 02:15   Link #2
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindialai
I want to find out which Anime is popular in Japan, where can I find the weekly ratings online? Thanks in advance...
http://www.videor.co.jp/data/ratedata/top10.htm#comic

Video Research is somewhat like your Nielsen's. They are a market-research group that focuses on media ratings.

As for the week of April 11th, the top 10 anime shows were:

"Sazae-san" 16.8%
"Anime7" 11.9%
"Chibi Maruko-chan" 10.6%
"NHK Anime Theater - Hino Tori" 10.2%
"NARUTO" 9.7%
"Konjiki no Gashbell!" 8.7%
"Tennis no Oujisama" 8.3%
"Futari wa Puricure" 8.1%
"Pocket Monster AG" 7.5%
"Wagamama Fairy Milmo de Pon!" 6.7%

Last edited by kj1980; 2004-06-03 at 03:16.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 09:41   Link #3
nubby

There's more new anime that I don't know about?! The only ones i recognize from that list is Naruto, Hino Tori, Prince of Tennis and Gashbell. Pocket Monster is probably some Pokemon/Digitmon type anime. Hmm lets see if I can find some info on other ones.
nubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 10:16   Link #4
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubby
There's more new anime that I don't know about?! The only ones i recognize from that list is Naruto, Hino Tori, Prince of Tennis and Gashbell. Pocket Monster is probably some Pokemon/Digitmon type anime. Hmm lets see if I can find some info on other ones.
Pocket Monster is Pokemon. Po(c)ke(t)Mon(ster).

Some of the others are long-running series, mostly family-type anime. Sazae-san for example looks to be one. It has been bashing other anime in the ratings for quite some time now.

kj1980, is the ratings given in NewType also done by Video Research?
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 12:01   Link #5
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Pocket Monster is Pokemon. Po(c)ke(t)Mon(ster).

Some of the others are long-running series, mostly family-type anime. Sazae-san for example looks to be one. It has been bashing other anime in the ratings for quite some time now.

kj1980, is the ratings given in NewType also done by Video Research?
"Sazae-san" is a national pasttime anime that has been on air since 1969. It started as a local newspaper comic just right after the war in 1946, by the late Hasegawa Machiko. With its satirical jokes about post war life, it came into the national arena when it began its serialization on the national Asahi Shinbun (daily comic serialized from 1949 to 1974). With the anime spanning 35 years, it currently has over 1700 airings and 5400 episodes (less specials, this anime is a 30 minute program with three episodes each). And of course, this would not be possible without its millions of viewers as it attained the immovable spot of being a national icon.

"Chibi Maruko-chan" is also a famous national iconic anime which started its airing in 1990. It is based on the manga by Sakura Momoko, serialized on Ribon Magazine. The anime is a satirical portrayal of the author's life as an elementary school student in the 1960s. As the majority of Japanese population were born during the baby-boomer era of the late 1950s and 1960s, this anime became very popular for both adults and children alike as they gave an image of what Japan was like during the 1960s - and a reminder what has been lost due to rampant over-development (i.e.: kids used to play outside until dark and local parks and open spaces, now kids stay at home partly due to games - but also due to that there are no more parks and open areas due to over-development). Currently at 470 episodes.

Both "Sazae-san" and "Chibi Maruko-chan" have the best timeslot that all anime companies would want to drool over - on FujiTV on every Sundays at 18:00-18:30 (Chibi Maruko-chan) and 18:30-19:00 (Sazae-san). Once again, these are only possible because of its immense popularity and the huge multinational sponsors (Toshiba, Taisho Pharmaceuticals, Johnson & Johnsons, etc.) these anime receive. Unless the sky falls and pigs start to fly, "Sazae-san" will always be at the top of the anime ratings - as it has been for the past 35 years.

Newtype "ratings" are extremely biased towards Newtype subscribers and animes which companies maintain a good relationship with Kadokawa Publishing (publisher of Newtype Magazine). It does, however, give you a good idea what otakus think they are the best anime in Japan right now. Please note that Video Research samples with all the population in Japan in mind, whereas Newtype will sample subscribers and the casual anime fan in its spectrum.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 14:49   Link #6
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Newtype "ratings" are extremely biased towards Newtype subscribers and animes which companies maintain a good relationship with Kadokawa Publishing (publisher of Newtype Magazine). It does, however, give you a good idea what otakus think they are the best anime in Japan right now.
Bah, Newtype ratings mean: Gundam SEED, Gundam SEED, mecha, cute girl show, Gundam SEED, more mecha, more cute girls. I can't stand Newtype ratings or their polls. (Though their TV veiwer statistics are nice.)
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 21:12   Link #7
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Ooops, I think I used the wrong word when I said NewType ratings. I was actually asking about the viewership figures they use for their most watched anime series table/chart (Sazae-san has like 20% in their charts). I do know their Best Anime ranks are from the subscribers.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 01:44   Link #8
a7m4

It's good to see that Hi no Tori has such high ratings. I just wish it would be that popular over here.
a7m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 03:07   Link #9
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Thirty......five......years......Holy......Shit... ....

And I thought the Simpsons ran long....
Old 2004-04-22, 03:32   Link #10
Jakxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova
Thirty......five......years......Holy......Shit... ....

And I thought the Simpsons ran long....
word.. *mucho impressivo*
Jakxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 23:17   Link #11
crzywill

anime rankings?

is there any ranking of how popular animes are in japan? just curious to see if there is offical popularity rankings, if there is, can anyone post a link
crzywill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 23:56   Link #12
cindialai
Tsukimori

Send a message via MSN to cindialai
I asked this a week ago but here's the link I got:
http://www.videor.co.jp/data/ratedata/top10.htm#comic

unfortunately it's japanese and it took quite a while to translate it.. search on google or yahoo for the english names..

Last edited by xris; 2004-04-25 at 03:19. Reason: Thanks for the reminder, threads merged.
cindialai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 03:45   Link #13
sanjuro

Sazae-san would seem to be a cultural phenomenon in the vein of "The Simpsons". Is that true? The Simpsons is an often satirical portrayal of American life and pop culture. I'm curious to know more about this Sazae-san show.
sanjuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 05:23   Link #14
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

This past week:
1. Sazae-san
2. Meitantei Conan Special
3. Atashi'n Chi
4. Chibi Maruko-chan
5. Doraemon
6. Konjiki no Gash Bell!!
7. Hi no Tori
8. Naruto
9. Futari wa Pretty Cure
10. Wagamama Fairy Mirumo de Pon! Wandahou
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 05:29   Link #15
Scrumhalf
Ed & Winry? :O

Send a message via MSN to Scrumhalf
FMA not up there? :/
Scrumhalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 06:14   Link #16
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I stil love Doraemon. ^^ I just cannot imagine they still going tho, or is it rerun?

And what show is Anime7?
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 11:10   Link #17
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Nope, it's still new eps. Hi no Tori is the anime that's based on Osamu Tezuka's work. Don't ask me why FMA isn't up there in the top ten... ^_^ You gotta have really good viewing figures to get into there, but I'm not surprised that it's #1 in Newtype, considering the type of people Newtype caters to.
Old 2004-04-25, 11:25   Link #18
Secca
nya`
*Artist

New episode of Doraemon??? how old is the boy now?? oh my god it's been so long, I don't even remember his name anymore, the boy who live with Doraemon. >_<

I think the TV rating is for the mass, that's including people that's just casual TV watcher like your parents, family, neighbours and school kids, not just anime fans. I just cannot imagine showing FMA or Gundam to my parents and convert them into a fan. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 17:25   Link #19
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

I think the boy's name was Naota? Anyways, yeah, these ratings are for general TV ratings. Newtype ratings are only reflective of those type of people that get Newtype.
Old 2004-04-26, 03:13   Link #20
Hokage Ace

One piece is actually the most popular anime in japan, the second is detective conan, and naruto is 5th followed by FMA in 6th place, these ratings are a couple months old though.
Hokage Ace is offline   Reply With Quote