Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-01, 22:29   Link #181
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
I second that.

I'm still not sure whether I'll follow Saki when it begins proper, I guess I'll give it the three episode judgement.
Not enough. The coolest moment starts from 2nd volume onward, where each school has its own "Ace".
Old 2009-04-01, 23:00   Link #182
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

^ Ooh, that sounds fun, so long as it doesn't bore me to tears, I guess I'll just go along for the ride.
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 12:40   Link #183
kyouray
2D > 3D

Some screenshots on Dengeki Online.
Hot Nodoka
Old 2009-04-03, 12:54   Link #184
einhorn303

CrunchyRoll's updated with the air time of the first episode: 1:30 PM on Sunday April 5th.

Also, awesome oppai are awesome.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 12:33   Link #185
TCman

Wow, the first episode is quite nice and the anime adaptation is very faithfull to the manga. Good job!

It's almost Saki versus K-On! Both are about clubs, Mahjong club versus Light music club.

I must say you have to know some basic rules of Mahjong, otherwise you can not follow the anime well.
TCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 13:00   Link #186
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCman View Post
Wow, the first episode is quite nice and the anime adaptation is very faithfull to the manga. Good job!

It's almost Saki versus K-On! Both are about clubs, Mahjong club versus Light music club.

I must say you have to know some basic rules of Mahjong, otherwise you can not follow the anime well.
Here's a writeup I made of the rules:

Mahjong has a large number of variants around the world. There's classic Chinese mahjong, there's American mahjong, and there's the style of mahjong played in Saki called "Riichi Mahjong" which is the most common style played in Japan.

For terminology I will be following the official rules of riichi mahjong by the European mahjong association:
http://mahjong-europe.org/filer/riichirules.pdf

The setup:
Spoiler:

The flow of the game:
Spoiler:

The start of a hand:
Spoiler:

The object of the game:
Spoiler:

Scoring:
Spoiler:

And that's it! There are a few other rules, like furiten or chombo, but you can read about them in the rules sheet I linked to above.

Hopefully this can help you understand a bit better what's going on in Saki, and where all those random numbers come from.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 13:16   Link #187
BrokenWingz

Thanks Quarkboy, For a beginner in mahjong well a scrub everything just went in one ear and flew out the other. hahhaa, well going to learn mahjong now ^^,

I enjoy the subtle usage of music in Saki quite tranquil and fitting. As for Nodoka and Saki interaction, well I'm expecting more than just rivalry having my fingers cross.
BrokenWingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 13:38   Link #188
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
loved the first ep, adapted the manga great with high production.

hopefully they'll keep this up
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 13:40   Link #189
TCman

@ Quarkboy

Wow, that's a very good guide for learning the basics of Mahjong, thanks!!

Once you can play Mahjong you can not stop with playing, since it is quite addictive; no gambling involved of course, just for fun.

It's kind of funny that Saki does not like playing Mahjong at the very beginning (allthough that will change very soon). By the way, the lightning/thunder effect with Saki's eye when she wins the match is kind of cool.
TCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 13:48   Link #190
bayoab

Gonzo will probably stay faithful to the story here at least.

The animation is definitely something I'm worried about. Normally ep1s are supposed to have awesome animation but this one definitely wasn't awesome. The early scene animation especially looked very odd. Maybe it was just the horrible TV Tokyo encode. (What the hell TV Tokyo? Learn to encode damn it.)
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 13:50   Link #191
Jiyuu

the CR encode looked really bad, its sad, really.
once they actually move everythings goes to hell
Old 2009-04-05, 14:05   Link #192
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
Yeah, someone needs to teach CR and/or Gonzo a little thing called IVTC.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2009-04-05, 14:06   Link #193
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
The IVTC issues and ghosting are the standard problem when TV Tokyo provides the materials. For some reason, this encode looks blurry and bit starved on top of that. Unfortunately Gonzo is only handling Shangri-la this time since Gonzo is actually competent with their handling of the streaming encoding. (Their DTO encoding leaves something to be desired though it's partially licensing issues.)
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 14:13   Link #194
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Personally, I loved ep1. I thought the drawing was good and the animation worked for me. But I'm not very demanding of animation, I admit.

The anime seemed to me to preserve and even enhance the spirit of the manga. It flowed very well, with just the right amount of time spent on the hands, so that you could grasp them if you knew the game, or ignore the details if you didn't. As in the manga.

I thought Ueda Kana was excellent as Saki. Koshimizu Ami, whom I love, was a little too much for me here as Nodoka, but certainly so skilled. And Kugimiya Rie gets to do a totally kawaii/genki girl, without any tsuntsun at all. That goes with FMA to give her two non-tsundere roles this season.

The fanservice -- pantsu, wet shirt, cleavage, etc. -- was a surprise, but not an unwelcome one. Gives the show another bit of electricity. As does the music, which seemed very fitting to me, adding drama without going over the top.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 14:22   Link #195
Falkor

@Quarkboy

Thanks for the guide... I might be stealing parts of it

As for the first episode, I think they adapted the first two or three chapters of the manga in a very short period of time, which somehow explains why I felt it was a bit too compressed. But overall, it was still enjoyable, mostly because of the characters (Kaichou continues to be my favorite, though).

I can't say that I really liked the music, but it felt a bit odd. I still prefer the music on the Drama CD, especially the one that was played for the second mahjong game. Oh yes, somebody posted this youtube video with parts of the Drama CD/manga, which corresponds to the mahjong game I'm talking about.

The scene from the Drama CD was better paced, while the music carried more momentum, in my opinion. But I guess it's something that couldn't be helped in order to include the second game (the more interesting one) within the limits of the first episode.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 14:26   Link #196
Midonin
Last Engage

No ED this week, but definitely next. I was looking forward to hearing it.

That said, looks like it'll be fun; always nice to have a sports/game show or two in the mix.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 14:38   Link #197
Jiyuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Yeah, someone needs to teach CR and/or Gonzo a little thing called IVTC.
I'm fairly sure its CR that just doesn't know how to handle that..
Old 2009-04-05, 14:57   Link #198
einhorn303

Man, and I thought Battletech (Classic, not the clix game) had excessively complicated rules.

That umbrella scene was so incredibly subtextual. I was like, "They're not just talking about mahjong, are they?" My favorite part, though, was the scene where Saki first played. Something about the music and the four people coming together to play a game not played in a long time, it felt really nostalgic and nice.

I can't wait to see the other characters, like the long-haired blond cosplaying loli and all.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 15:03   Link #199
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
Walls of text and lots of it is WRONG. -_-
Did you post this in the wrong topic? What are you talking about... Saki doesn't have walls of text except for that one scene explaining the different rounds, and there's nothing wrong with it.
Sam Pinansky

Last edited by xris; 2009-04-05 at 15:14.
Old 2009-04-05, 15:30   Link #200
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

sorry xris, I had this bookmarked and didn't notice where it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Did you post this in the wrong topic? What are you talking about... Saki doesn't have walls of text except for that one scene explaining the different rounds, and there's nothing wrong with it.
Well, let me talk about the wrong bit, at least.

There is no official English terminology for a lot of Japanese mahjong terms, so by convention the online communities just use the Japanese/Chinese terms rather than the much eschewed English terminology for American "mahjongg" like pung/kung/chow. I mean these aren't even the Chinese terms...I know for a fact Chi is called "Sic".

On top of these weird, confusing and often inter-mixed terms, which frankly would have simplified the subs tremendously and shortened the number of lines, they also got a few aspects of game mechanics wrong.

"Dealer gets double, pays double?"

That's rather misleading. Dealers get 1.5x points on both Rons and Tsumos, but pay 1.5x the hand value (minipoints - lol) when hit by Tsumos. So for a non-dealer Haneman, 12K, the dealer pays 4K while the non-dealers pay 2K. In this case the dealer pays double but only because it's a limit. This is never the case for Rons.

So dealers get 1.5x the payoff when they win, but lose double the hand value when hit by an enemy Tsumo for limit hands.

There's other nitpick stuff but I have to watch again to be sure.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen