AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-07-13, 01:38   Link #1
MAQI
Varcolac cu trei capete

Location: Where the morale of the people is as black as the sea.
The Barefoot bandit, opinions

For the past two days I've been having some thoughts in the back of my mind about an article I read on Yahoo about this kid the press dubbed "The Barefoot Bandit". I would like to share my opinion about this kid and in doing so also share my opinion on this global society we all live or just exist in.

The kid who's name is Colton Harris- Moore was caught in a Miami Vice type of boat chase and was jailed in the Bahamas about two or three days ago. He is something of a folk hero to some and of course to others he a criminal and some what of a douche bag. I agree... with both.

When I first read of his exploits I have to be honest in saying I had a smile on my face. Just imagine the adventure and adrenalin rushes this kid must have felt for the last two years, some of us won't feel that our whole life, of course some don't want to. I for one have always had that adventure feeling since the day I was born. It took me all about four hours to decide to join the Navy. So I can sympathize with this kid. Imagine for a second if you will, what it would feel like to buck the system of society, to recklessly take life, strap it on your back and fly off a cliff to soar into the blue without restraints. Well he did steal a plane without having any flight training and crash landed without a scratch, but lets get back to my opinion ( you can read the story in the link I provided).

My impression of this kid is super intelligent and also a psychopath (to an extent that is). Certain studies have been preformed on the way psychopaths process feelings, and it has been found that their brain works differently in that they don't have that ultimate feeling of guilt that prevents most of us from doing wrong. Also his upbringing probably as a lot to do with his frame of mind. He is an expertly trained outdoors man, so his "survival" instinct is probably way beyond any one who's lived in the city. I would say he would best be suited for survival if there would be a world ending event. Man is after all an animal, and our instinct is to survive no matter what.

Freedom is also in our DNA, just as wild animals need to be free to roam and live, so do we humans. Imagine not having to go to work day in and day out, clocking in and out, short lunch hours and pain in the ass coworkers and customers. I mean it is a dream to be that free, at least to me it is. This leaves to problem of basic needs, everyone's gotta eat, sleep, be warm, and once in a while partake of the opposite sex's many enjoyable pleasures. In order to do such things one needs (at least in this reality) money. So here in lays the problem. Society is not set up to be equal, life is definitely not fair, and there needs to be some sort of equalizer fr those of us born without. So Colton basically decided to buck the system and just take what he wants when he wants it. I admire that, only because that is basically how modern society was created.

Now that is enough of me praising this guy, people like him (a few names come to mind... Hitler, Stalin, Sadam... you know the usual culprits) with just a little more tact and power have committed some of the most despicable crimes know to man. So I tend to find his actions just a bit laughable compared to theirs, yet still wrong.

The people from who he stole were mostly well off to rich people, so unless they came from nothing and made something of themselves I have no sympathy, sorry that's just how I feel. I mean the rich are at the top of the food chain, so for a really small fish it just feels good to see the shark get scared by the hook once in a while. That being said, if he were in my house and I were to catch him, he would not only be wearing a bulletproof vest ( which is ridiculous, because no rich person would risk their freedom to kill a guy that the insurance company already made up for.), he'd be in a c-collar, and have a wired jaw. It's just survival, just like I said.

So to conclude my (little) rant I would like to say, I think this kid did a good job at living life to the fullest, but in the end he should remember the one thing every cholo has tattooed somewhere on their body, laugh now, cry later.

Good luck, and don't drop the soap Colton.

There is a site where you can donate money for this guy's legal defense. I don't care to search for it, nor do I have the money to help, partly because I don't care and partly because he didn't take me with him! Though I don't know him personally.
Old 2010-07-13, 02:40   Link #2
monir
cho~ kakkoii

He will be quite the ladies' man once he comes out of the jail. For the time being, however, he should be the popular fresh meat whose orifices are in need of exploring. And that's the extent of my contribution to this topic.

P.S. Excellent opening post MAQI.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 02:58   Link #3
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

No. Emphatically not impressed. It's one thing to be a survivalist, quite another to take things that do not belong to you, and to disrupt order just for the thrill of it. Call it cultural bias on my part. And that's the extent of my contribution to this topic.

Agreed, though, good starting post.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 03:05   Link #4
FateAnomaly

Just a thief with a good story.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 04:58   Link #5
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Brilliant OP. As for the guy, he may have wanted to live a life of thrills, but becoming a thief wasn't exactly the best choice for that imo. Cool story tho!
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 05:03   Link #6
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

His ability to whet other people's curiosity is rather superb. His ability to survive is indeed impressive... As well as his luck. I'm not impressed by his way of living, however. I won't go in depth besides me thinking he is a sad case of wasted potential.

I do not condone his actions, nor do I think they are living life to the fullest. But this is largely subjective.

He is brave, but I think that eventually became disregard and reckless. That's all.

...And I apologize if I offended anyone.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 05:06   Link #7
sergho

sounds like a bad case of bad parenting

if you had a chance to talk about him, you'd probably change your opinion of him

the press likes to create these folk heroes because it sells papers or tv
sergho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 09:26   Link #8
Irkalla
I asked for this

I think this case shows how important it is to have good parents or good social workers, but as we can see, both failed in this case. I have great sympathy for the kid, and no way would I stick him into jail, never. If the parents failed him, it's the governments obligation to cover for them, but they failed in that as well. And now they want to just stick him into jail, and wash themselves of guilt? Yeah, good job America.

I think this kid shows tremendous potential, I mean come on, learning how to fly from a manual and computer simulation games? He is like MacGyver While I do not approve of his actions, I do not think that it's right to just deal with the consequences. Sure, he lived by the law of the jungle, but that is just because he was never taught otherwise. And by the topic of personal freedom, I have always followed this simple principle: An it harm none, do what ye will. Of course it's debatable what might harm someone, but it's a basic guideline. We were all born brutes, just look at little kids and try to prove me wrong. They are all horrible without knowledge of what is considered socially acceptable, they do not know how to suppress that inner"brute". So while I personally do think that being a real pirate would be awesome and thrilling, it's just not right to steal from people no matter how you look at it. Not even the Robin Hood types, although I could debate on that issue, especially socially wise. But not in this topic.
Old 2010-07-13, 10:02   Link #9
justsomeguy

I have sympathy for anybody raised by abusive, neglective, douchebag parents.
On the other hand, I do not have sympathy for criminals just because they came from broken homes. Colton Harris may not have had a choice in how he lived his life, but I feel bad for all the honest hard-working people who had their property which they bought with their hard-earned money stolen by him.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 10:31   Link #10
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I'm definitely impressed. I don't agree with everything he did but one thing I know is, even if I wanted to I could not pull off what he did. That alone earns some degree of respect from me.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 10:45   Link #11
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

As with every criminal with a noteworthy story, I always wonder what such a person would accomplish if they used their skills to better society. I imagine that as time goes on, while excitement about these events will die down in most circles, those that are particularly moved by it will continue to pile exaggeration upon exaggeration in the retelling.

In a century, we'll have people swearing he was a martyr for social upheaval.
Old 2010-07-13, 12:58   Link #12
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

He's going to get a couple of TV movie/book deals when he gets out. The Runaway Bride did, and this is way more impressive.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 13:05   Link #13
Who

Reminds me of Frank Abagnale, Jr., but to a lesser degree (guy the movie 'Catch Me If You Can' was based off).
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 13:31   Link #14
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Hmm so how long until Grand Theft Auto 4 is blamed for this guy's behaviour? Because that sounds a lot like Just Cause 2 and GTA, run around steal something, steal a helicopter, crash and keep running from the police

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 13:33   Link #15
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAQI View Post

The people from who he stole were mostly well off to rich people, so unless they came from nothing and made something of themselves I have no sympathy, sorry that's just how I feel. I mean the rich are at the top of the food chain, so for a really small fish it just feels good to see the shark get scared by the hook once in a while.
I have a couple of issue with what you wrote.

1. how do you know those people are Rich? Just because some of them have a bit more then most other people doesn't make them rich or even if they can be consider rich. Doesn't make them deserve having their broken into or property stolen. Also even if the money was inherited, so what? They didn't steal it, if you feel it is unfair for people to inherit wealth then write to congressman and ask them to increase the inheritance tax.

2. He also didn't just steal form "Rich People" (please define Rich). he also stole form everyone including shop owners and vandalize property with his breaking and enter. Do you know who ends paying for that, you and me. The insurance company (that is if the shop had insurance beyond basic fire) will reimburse the shop owner, then the Ins Company will raise the shop owners rates and the rates of other small business to cover the lost. The Shop owners will raise thier prices to cover the increase in Ins cost. So who lose in the end? Everyone who lives in the area, who will now have to pay higher prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
He's going to get a couple of TV movie/book deals when he gets out. The Runaway Bride did, and this is way more impressive.
i hope every shop owner whose store he vandalize and everyone person he stole form would sue him.

Society needs to stop rewarding people for bad behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I'm definitely impressed. I don't agree with everything he did but one thing I know is, even if I wanted to I could not pull off what he did. That alone earns some degree of respect from me.
i think what is stoping you is you have conscience and you learn to think things through. This someone who has no conscience and just form his photo (slim yes i know) has no remorse.
Old 2010-07-13, 13:41   Link #16
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Wrong focus.

The real psychopaths and sociopaths rise to the top of the food chain. They are the CEO's, the CIO's, the people right behind the world leaders (if not the leaders themselves). We, as a society, reward the sociopath by giving them more of what they want: power.

It's what we value. We want someone to tell us what to do, and gladly give up all control over much of our lives in the process. This kid took and did as he pleased, and yes, when he gets out of prison and decides to play the game, he'll become of those that takes from you on a far grander scale.

Ask yourself if that's really what you want, before you start idolizing.

Of course, taking is all well and good if you actually plan to use it to overthrow the current order. A little revolution now and again is a good thing. Reminds those sociopaths exactly who is supposed to be in charge.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 14:56   Link #17
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i think what is stoping you is you have conscience and you learn to think things through. This someone who has no conscience and just form his photo (slim yes i know) has no remorse.
True that is the main reason I wouldn't even attempt it. But if I were to try in some hypothetical scenario, I don't have much faith in me being able to replicate his results.

It is like this show on National Geographic I was watching some time back. It was about a thief that had been locked up in a maximum security prison. They engineered a truly miraculous escape plan that included replicating a prison guard's key from Styrofoam, digging a 30 foot long tunnel underneath the prison, etc. Needless to say I was blown away by the end of the show, but if I were calling the shots I'd put him back in prison in a heartbeat. Maybe I'm disingenuous, but I guess some more deviant side of me is still capable of appreciating these feats of mischief even if I don't endorse them.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 15:27   Link #18
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
As with every criminal with a noteworthy story, I always wonder what such a person would accomplish if they used their skills to better society. I imagine that as time goes on, while excitement about these events will die down in most circles, those that are particularly moved by it will continue to pile exaggeration upon exaggeration in the retelling.

In a century, we'll have people swearing he was a martyr for social upheaval.
Sometimes "bettering" society means destroying it.
Old 2010-07-13, 15:40   Link #19
MAQI
Varcolac cu trei capete

Location: Where the morale of the people is as black as the sea.
Firstly I want to thank everyone who said my op was good. I wanted to say more but I guess I just could not convey my thoughts as well as I planned to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
I won't go in depth besides me thinking he is a sad case of wasted potential.
I do not condone his actions, nor do I think they are living life to the fullest. But this is largely subjective. I apologize if I offended anyone.
Well I don't condone his actions either. What Iwas trying to convey in my post was that he amazed me. Also if you were worried you had offended me personally, don't worry because you didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergho View Post
sounds like a bad case of bad parenting

if you had a chance to talk about him, you'd probably change your opinion of him

the press likes to create these folk heroes because it sells papers or tv
Oh you're absolutely right, the kid (I can tell even just from looking at his picture) is a complete douche, he reminds me of a guy I was in the Navy with (even looks like him a little) he was very smart and strong as shit, but always got into trouble. Although you're right about the media, this one kida sells it's self don't you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
I have sympathy for anybody raised by abusive, neglective, douchebag parents.
On the other hand, I do not have sympathy for criminals just because they came from broken homes. Colton Harris may not have had a choice in how he lived his life, but I feel bad for all the honest hard-working people who had their property which they bought with their hard-earned money stolen by him.
Well I have just a little issue with some of these comments. You are though right about the way criminals should be treated, but about him not having a choice in how he lived his life, I think you're mistaken on that part of it. I basically raised myself since I was 13, every decision I mad from that day on was my own. Hell I even wrote my own absence notes from school.There were many times I could have taken a bad path (I do live in Los Angeles after all) but I for the most part am a good guy and a functioning member of society, I never stole anything more than a soda from burger king, and I've never even tried weed (which I think should be legal) I pay my taxes, I work two jobs, and I even have returned wallets with all the money inside to their rightful owner. I had a shitty upbringing, but my choice was to do the right things, colton basically made the opposite choice, and is now going to pay the consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
A small degree of respect is merited,I mean I even respect Diego Maradona a little bit, and I do consider him a sociopath after all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
Reminds me of Frank Abagnale, Jr., but to a lesser degree (guy the movie 'Catch Me If You Can' was based off).
That's funny because I thought the same thing while I was reading the article, though I doubt the FBI will be offering colton a job any time soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub-Sama View Post
Hmm so how long until Grand Theft Auto 4 is blamed for this guy's behaviour? Because that sounds a lot like Just Cause 2 and GTA, run around steal something, steal a helicopter, crash and keep running from the police
I blamed it even before this happened! J/K Somewhere some mom is starting an organization as we speak cub, but don't worry she'll never beat the corporate giants cub, she never will.

Quote:
I have a couple of issue with what you wrote.

1. how do you know those people are Rich? Just because some of them have a bit more then most other people doesn't make them rich or even if they can be consider rich. Doesn't make them deserve having their broken into or property stolen. Also even if the money was inherited, so what? They didn't steal it, if you feel it is unfair for people to inherit wealth then write to congressman and ask them to increase the inheritance tax.
You are right, I don't know that they are rich, also I know that some of them were hard working shop owners and people who made it big on their own merit. I have to apologize, that I didn't convey that properly in my op. I have many flaws in my character, one being that I envy people whom have things I don't. So I did go overboard a bit by saying that only rich people got hurt. My intent in opening up this post was to also get other people's opinions on this subject. I don't think people who inherit money are bad people, I just wish I was one of them. Though what they do to keep that money and add to it is probably another subject for another thread.

Quote:
He also didn't just steal form "Rich People" (please define Rich). he also stole form everyone including shop owners and vandalize property with his breaking and enter. Do you know who ends paying for that, you and me. The insurance company (that is if the shop had insurance beyond basic fire) will reimburse the shop owner, then the Ins Company will raise the shop owners rates and the rates of other small business to cover the lost. The Shop owners will raise thier prices to cover the increase in Ins cost. So who lose in the end? Everyone who lives in the area, who will now have to pay higher prices.
On this you are also right, I see people in the hospital every night that suck my tax money right out of my pocket, yet I still treat them with respect and dignity. Those people that pay the taxes you are talking about (the one who own high powered boats, small air craft, and stores) pay less of a percentage tax than I do. Have you heard of capital gains tax? Yeah look it up and you will see that rich people (those who make over $250,000 a year) pay less taxes than non rich people like myself who gets taxed 30% of my income. They pay more money out but they get to keep more of that money for themselves. So sorry if I piss you off with this next statement, but I do think the scum of the Earth runs the earth. I also do so wish I was part of that scum though No offense Xellos I think highly of you so I hope you don't take this as me insulting you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Wrong focus.

The real psychopaths and sociopaths rise to the top of the food chain. They are the CEO's, the CIO's, the people right behind the world leaders (if not the leaders themselves). We, as a society, reward the sociopath by giving them more of what they want: power.

It's what we value. We want someone to tell us what to do, and gladly give up all control over much of our lives in the process. This kid took and did as he pleased, and yes, when he gets out of prison and decides to play the game, he'll become of those that takes from you on a far grander scale.

Ask yourself if that's really what you want, before you start idolizing.

Of course, taking is all well and good if you actually plan to use it to overthrow the current order. A little revolution now and again is a good thing. Reminds those sociopaths exactly who is supposed to be in charge.
Wrong focus? Well it's my opinion. You are right about the CEO's and all that, but you are wrong about idolization of this kid (at least by me) I don't idolize him, in fact there is nothing more I hate than bullies and thieves. I was just thinking what it would be like to not have that concern of the daily life where work and money are number one and mental happiness and physical rest take a backseat to bills and taxes. I just admired his freedom, short as it was. I don't agree with what he did at all, but in my imagination I put myself in his place for a split second and fond some joy. As for him being a sociopath/psychopath I totally think he is. Good thing his mind went the course of taking things rather than killing people.
Old 2010-07-13, 15:44   Link #20
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Sometimes "bettering" society means destroying it.
Certainly. But let's be completely blunt here: what this kid was doing had nothing to do with 'destroying society'. He's several tiers removed from anything meaningful like that.