AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-05, 10:22   Link #4741
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Soooo, is it a bad thing that Mami didn't beat Ayumu "Osaka" Kasuga's 2002 losing numbers to win Saimoe this year?

But still, first D+ cup victory in Saimoe, marking an end to the DFC domination. Which actually makes you wonder. Was he DFC domination really a Japan thing, or was it the foreigners?
Old 2011-11-05, 10:22   Link #4742
MartianMage

Nice to see that my favorite girl won! Tiro Finale prevails!
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
Old 2011-11-05, 10:25   Link #4743
seemmeriast

Although the Puella Magis' domination had ruined my saimoe, Mami and Kyouko as winner and runner-up is the best possible result for me.

Congrats, Mami-san.

Spoiler for saimoe winners:
Old 2011-11-05, 10:26   Link #4744
Team Rocket Elite

Yesterday's Result:

Sakura Kyouko - 435
Tomoe Mami - 512

Congrats to Tomoe Mami our Anime Saimoe Tournament 2011 champion! I thought Kyouko would be able to give Mami a bit more of a challenge but Kyouko ended up doing worse than either Madoka or Ika Musume. Hopefully, unlike Taiga, Mami decides to stay away from Saimoe from now on to hold on to her perfect record. It was really impressive how dominant the Puella Magi were this year. They even had the disadvantage of their top member getting kicked out in Round 1. One regret I have about the tournament is not getting to see just how badly Akemi Homura would crush everyone. I might have even been Homura here instead of Mami if Homura was given a fair chance. In any case, congrats again to Mami on her victory!
Old 2011-11-05, 10:33   Link #4745
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game8910 View Post
I sure hope so. Japan needs to stop being so butthurt over what international fans like already
Yeah, Suiseiseki and /a/ was like, what? Five years ago. I left it behind, and some did, I hope, but Japan just seems can't.
Old 2011-11-05, 10:33   Link #4746
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Was he DFC domination really a Japan thing, or was it the foreigners?
That's a good question.

I think something else that perhaps can be taken out of this victory is the old adage "It's not about being the most loved, it's about being the least hated".

I say that because Mami Tomoe had very little screen-time, probably the least of all five Puella Magi.

But less screen-time means less chance to do something that'll bother/offend viewers. With the exception of a certain short scene in Episode 10, Mami consistently came out smelling like roses because she was never forced through tortured indecisiveness (Madoka), a slow tragic descent (Sayaka), or turning cold/cynical due to tragedies lived through (Homura and Kyouko).

That makes Mami's moe an unblemished one, in a sense.
Old 2011-11-05, 10:44   Link #4747
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That's a good question.

I think something else that perhaps can be taken out of this victory is the old adage "It's not about being the most loved, it's about being the least hated".

I say that because Mami Tomoe had very little screen-time, probably the least of all five Puella Magi.

But less screen-time means less chance to do something that'll bother/offend viewers. With the exception of a certain short scene in Episode 10, Mami consistently came out smelling like roses because she was never forced through tortured indecisiveness (Madoka), a slow tragic descent (Sayaka), or turning cold/cynical due to tragedies lived through (Homura and Kyouko).

Mami has 2 very critical strike against her, the big one in ep 10, and a tiny but important one, that she didn't try hard enough for dialogue with Homura, in ep. 3. Each of the Mahou Shoujo in the series has their own faults and acts that can be viewed negatively, and I think that is part of the reason why this series can be considered as exceptional series worth of notice.
Old 2011-11-05, 10:46   Link #4748
Tainaka
Enpatsu Shakugan

YAY!! A well deserved victory. I'm so glad she won! After those Kyouko fakes in the beginning were so misleading, I thought it was going to be an intense round, but it was just another match. Kyouko had a really good rush, but not enough to overcome our champ.

No matter how you look at it, a win's a win. 2011 belongs to Mami

CONGRATS!! You were never alone

See you all next year
Old 2011-11-05, 10:51   Link #4749
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

Quote:
That's a good question.

Though you'd have to wonder about that since it took either another Puella Magi or a cheater to knock out a Puella Magi. PMMM started out 0-2, but then never lost again until they started facing each other.

As for foreign votes, I doubt we'd contribute more than 100 at any point. Also, they do have a point in regards to their official justification. I think this year's low vote totals is more due to a lack of quality series and characters than anything. Beyond PMMM, almost nothing new debuted this year that will likely be remembered in a couple of years or so.
Old 2011-11-05, 10:57   Link #4750
klare

happy to see one of my favs winning it all, finally

cant help but notice the total votes is below 1000
Old 2011-11-05, 10:59   Link #4751
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
But still, first D+ cup victory in Saimoe, marking an end to the DFC domination. Which actually makes you wonder. Was he DFC domination really a Japan thing, or was it the foreigners?
Either way, a revolution for the well-endowed happened here today. The curse was finally broken for the girls on the other side of the charts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainaka View Post
No matter how you look at it, a win's a win. 2011 belongs to Mami

CONGRATS!! You were never alone
Her victory here today proved she was never alone.
Old 2011-11-05, 11:01   Link #4752
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aya Reiko View Post

As for foreign votes, I doubt we'd contribute more than 100 at any point.
Maybe a sage of the Saimoe history could help us out here: During the height of Saimoe, how many voters were Japanese (rough estimate) and how many voters were non-Japanese (rough estimate)? That might be interesting to find out.

Quote:
Also, they do have a point in regards to their official justification. I think this year's low vote totals is more due to a lack of quality series and characters than anything.
There wasn't a true faction vs. faction war. So, yeah, I don't think there was a prominent enough series with a lot of moe girls in it to come out quickly enough in 2011 to give PMMM a good fight (Idolmaster didn't come out quickly enough to impact Saimoe 2011).

I'll admit that I myself would have probably found PMMM vs. Steins;Gate more interesting than what we did get, if Steins;Gate was a bit stronger.

Something like Homura vs. Mayuri and Madoka vs. Kurisu as your two semifinals matches would have been very pleasing to me.

But, I'm personally happy with what we did get, although vote totals are of course a bit disappointing.

Also, looking over the list of Saimoe winners to date, there's only one or two girls I prefer to Mami, so she's already one of my favorite Saimoe winners of all-time.
Old 2011-11-05, 11:10   Link #4753
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachael View Post
Tea and cake for based champion Mami.

It's a bit lonely from the top though
She has 9 other people at the top (previous winners).
Maybe Suiseiseki gives her some madeleines to go with the tea.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2011-11-05 at 17:44.
Old 2011-11-05, 11:19   Link #4754
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

well congrats to Mami, the most well endow Saimoe Champion to Date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
She has 9 other people at the top with her (previous winners).
Maybe Suiseiseki gives her some madeleines to go with the tea.
more like desu will steal her cake while Mami isn't looking.

btw if anyone has all the 2011 and pervioous saimoe posters, can you post it somewhere so i can downloaded.
Old 2011-11-05, 11:29   Link #4755
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Well after months of grueling matches its finally over. Congrats to Mami
Old 2011-11-05, 11:31   Link #4756
frustra
Team M.Y.T.Hi.C.

Arrow

Quote:
During the height of Saimoe, how many voters were Japanese (rough estimate) and how many voters were non-Japanese (rough estimate)? That might be interesting to find out.
Sadly, I don't have the 2006 Suiseiseki-Fate numbers (the biggest Saimoe match of all-time), but here's how the finals of 2007 unfolded:

http://tcode.sakura.ne.jp/anime07/mining1103.html

Traditionally, codes ending in Y and Z are the foreign votes.

That being said in that final Nagi had 366 foreign votes to go with 1133 JP votes. Rika? 424 foreign, 1097 JP.

For the highest scoring one-on-one match that year (Kagami vs. Rena)

http://tcode.sakura.ne.jp/anime07/mining1008.html

Rena: 446 foreign / 1455 JP
Kagami: 422 foreign / 1346 JP
Old 2011-11-05, 11:43   Link #4757
Wanderer
Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldlight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroryoko1974 View Post
If you count interseries matches as still being a win, the streak is up to 20 in a row?
Under that counting scheme, 22 in a row.
And still counting. Doubt they'd do so well in a reappearance, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachiko View Post
Here is the victory speech.
But but... Mami didn't defeat Sayaka. Madoka did.

Quote:
There wasn't a true faction vs. faction war. So, yeah, I don't think there was a prominent enough series with a lot of moe girls in it to come out quickly enough in 2011 to give PMMM a good fight (Idolmaster didn't come out quickly enough to impact Saimoe 2011).
Yeah instead it was a faction vs. an anti-faction.

Quote:
Also, looking over the list of Saimoe winners to date, there's only one or two girls I prefer to Mami, so she's already one of my favorite Saimoe winners of all-time.
Oh. Oh. This is fun. Let's rank Saimoe winners. I'll skip Riku and Rosemarry since I haven't seen their series, but here's mine:

1. Kagami (Waifu material)
2. Sakura
3. DESU (DESU)
4. Mami
5. Rika (Not my favorite from the series, but glad Higurashi won one)
6. Taiga
7. Azusa (She's cute, nyah, but never liked how she usurped Mio's role)
8. Nanoha
Old 2011-11-05, 11:51   Link #4758
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by frustra View Post
Sadly, I don't have the 2006 Suiseiseki-Fate numbers (the biggest Saimoe match of all-time), but here's how the finals of 2007 unfolded:

http://tcode.sakura.ne.jp/anime07/mining1103.html

Traditionally, codes ending in Y and Z are the foreign votes.

That being said in that final Nagi had 366 foreign votes to go with 1133 JP votes. Rika? 424 foreign, 1097 JP.

For the highest scoring one-on-one match that year (Kagami vs. Rena)

http://tcode.sakura.ne.jp/anime07/mining1008.html

Rena: 446 foreign / 1455 JP
Kagami: 422 foreign / 1346 JP
The Nagi vs Rika final was an epic (especially the hilarious aftermath), nothing like the sad 950 votes of this year

Nonetheless it took 10 contest for the first non-flat character to win, and just for that I will forgive Mami for beating Kyouko
Old 2011-11-05, 11:52   Link #4759
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Rika was what i called the "Not the most popular but least hated" champion.

And the aftermath of the Rika/Nagi vote was when 2ch started mass banning foreign ip. Up to that point they were trying to make it easier for foreigners to vote. One of the organizers form 2ch posted in the AS saimoe thread that year.
Old 2011-11-05, 12:06   Link #4760
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Yeah, Suiseiseki and /a/ was like, what? Five years ago. I left it behind, and some did, I hope, but Japan just seems can't.
OT: But who's your avatar? Me and apparently several other people want to know.

Tags
2011, saimoe, tournament