AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-20, 01:33   Link #161
Pathis87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
They're more like Princesses from your classic Space Opera. At least Lacus is anyway. Remember, Lacus is political and a Rebel. I haven't heard any Idol or Macross love interest being described as either.
Sheryl does rebel against the common idea people have about her , she said so herself that people consider her lucky but luck has nothing to do with it just hard work and taking chances when they present themselves .

watching: Durarara - Fairy Tail -
DO NOT copy my signatures or Avatars without my permission ! http://forums.animesuki.com/album.php?u=79426

Last edited by Pathis87; 2008-05-20 at 06:56.
Old 2008-05-20, 01:43   Link #162
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
They're more like Princesses from your classic Space Opera. At least Lacus is anyway. Remember, Lacus is political and a Rebel. I haven't heard any Idol or Macross love interest being described as either.
The last time I read, the director of GS said that Lacus was indeed inspired by Minmei.

The singer part and using music to touch/save the masses.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-05-20, 02:13   Link #163
cerrian

After seeing ep 7, I'm convinced that the production team really needs to release a 'Sheryl in Concert' episode. It has to have the full songs with complete concert animations. There's just too much good footage and music going to waste otherwise.
Old 2008-05-20, 02:26   Link #164
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
At least Lacus is anyway. Remember, Lacus is political and a Rebel. I haven't heard any Idol or Macross love interest being described as either.
Many singers in Macross were rebels.

Minmei was definitely a rebel, but you get to see more clearly her rebellious side by watching DYRL.

Ishtar (if you take Macross II into account) was a rebel, and remained so until the end.

Basara, Myung, and Sara all had rebellious tendencies that went against the establishmet. Moreover, CA is right, Minmei was a major, and I mean, major influence on creating Lacus as a character. Although Minmei, at times selfish, was nowhere close to being as naive as Lacus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian
After seeing ep 7, I'm convinced that the production team really needs to release a 'Sheryl in Concert' episode.
Frontier Flashback 2062?

- Tak
Old 2008-05-20, 04:08   Link #165
JackRydden224
Knight of Twelve's Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
After seeing ep 7, I'm convinced that the production team really needs to release a 'Sheryl in Concert' episode. It has to have the full songs with complete concert animations. There's just too much good footage and music going to waste otherwise.
Maybe a blue-ray dvd bonus would be nice....
Old 2008-05-20, 04:59   Link #166
cry
Berry Bunny

if i compare gundam girls with sheryl nome, i see more similarities with Diana Sorel & Kihel Heim from Turn A Gundam than Meer & Lacus from Seed.
Old 2008-05-20, 05:14   Link #167
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry View Post
if i compare gundam girls with sheryl nome, i see more similarities with Diana Sorel & Kihel Heim from Turn A Gundam than Meer & Lacus from Seed.
Oh lol, now that you mentioned, Lacus was an inspiration combo of Minmei and Diana if I'm not wrong.

A strong political figure who used singing as a way to carry her message.

Old 2008-05-20, 06:52   Link #168
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathis87 View Post
Sheryl does rebel against the common idea people have about her , she said so herself that people consider her lucky but luck has notging to do with it just hard work and taking chances when they present themselves .
Oh please. Princess Leia in the sense of the word "rebel". Not a selfish starlet who thinks people don't get her and what she's all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
The last time I read, the director of GS said that Lacus was indeed inspired by Minmei.

The singer part and using music to touch/save the masses.
If he did, he did. All I know is Lacus ended up losing practically everything, because of what she believed and ultimately ended up doing because of it. And the singing part wasn't really used to influence people directly until Destiny and that was all Meer. She didn't "Deculture" an entire race of genocidal maniacs.
Old 2008-05-20, 06:56   Link #169
Westlo
Lets be reality

You need to look up the term inspired, here's a hint it's not a carbon copy. The first thing of I thought of when I saw Lacus was Minmay/Macross. And it looks like Fuduka said in an interview it was a direct influence, not that I needed him to confirm what was obvious in the first place...
Old 2008-05-20, 07:02   Link #170
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Of course, I have no idea why there's a need to add singing into Lacus's design. Her singing had almost no effect to the plot, its just her status as a singer, made her a famous figure along with being the daughter of a political head.

Singing never had much use in mecha anime except for Macross, Rahxephon and Gaogaigar.

But this is Macross and Sheryl.

Old 2008-05-20, 07:09   Link #171
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
You need to look up the term inspired, here's a hint it's not a carbon copy. The first thing of I thought of when I saw Lacus was Minmay/Macross. And it looks like Fuduka said in an interview it was a direct influence, not that I needed him to confirm what was obvious in the first place...
So it's the simple fact they both sing is where the inspiration ends?

So, how's Sheryl going to cope with not disappearing leaving Frontier like she intended to? Stalking Alto is her only Frontier past-time and it would appear that she's going to continue it.
Old 2008-05-20, 07:10   Link #172
Westlo
Lets be reality

I don't even know why you're arguing this (except for the sake of being a whining prick) when this has been obvious to anyone who's seen Macross since Lacus appeared in SEED back in 2002 and when the director himself states she is.
Old 2008-05-20, 07:19   Link #173
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I don't even know why you're arguing this (except for the sake of being a whining prick) when this has been obvious to anyone who's seen Macross since Lacus appeared in SEED back in 2002 and when the director himself states she is.
If you're paying attention, you'll notice I haven't denied any supposed inspiration. The comparison to Lacus was originally made in the context of Sheryl coming from her, which is clearly wrong as they're hardly alike, and then the Macross series of Idols in general, which I have no idea about, and now the comparison of her and this Minmei directly, which I also have no idea about.

Additionally, the director of Seed was also influenced by his interest in Star Wars. Considering what Lacus ultimately became, I'd say it had more influence on her character than whatever inspiration that originally created her.
Old 2008-05-20, 08:42   Link #174
Tak

Quote:
If you're paying attention, you'll notice I haven't denied any supposed inspiration. The comparison to Lacus was originally made in the context of Sheryl coming from her, which is clearly wrong as they're hardly alike, and then the Macross series of Idols in general, which I have no idea about, and now the comparison of her and this Minmei directly, which I also have no idea about.
Then I shall suggest the acquisition of earlier Macross series and get acquainted with the characters. Maybe you will discover a brand new field of knowledge.

- Tak
Old 2008-05-20, 08:44   Link #175
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Then I shall suggest the acquisition of earlier Macross series and get acquainted with the characters. Maybe you will discover a brand new field of knowledge.

- Tak
Maybe I'll just watch the movies. Downloading 40 gigs in one shot would probably ruin my harddrive.
Old 2008-05-20, 08:53   Link #176
4Tran

Quote:
There certainly isn't all that much similarity despite being an inspiration. Then again, the shows themselves are fundamentally different, so it shouldn't be surprising that a direct translation wouldn't work out.

Quote:
Comparing Gundam characters to Sheryl seems to be a bit of an exercise in futility since she doesn't bear any significant similarity to any of them. Even as a character concept, Sheryl is pretty unique outside of the Macross franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Of course, I have no idea why there's a need to add singing into Lacus's design. Her singing had almost no effect to the plot, its just her status as a singer, made her a famous figure along with being the daughter of a political head.
A character doesn't always have to have all of her facets be plot relevant, and that's the case here.

In any case, this isn't really the proper thread for talking about Lacus Clyne, so let's leave off the rest of that part of the discussion.
Old 2008-05-20, 11:38   Link #177
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Frontier Flashback 2062?

- Tak
Yup, and it'll be released in 2012. Oh man, what would Macross be at that time?
Old 2008-05-20, 15:14   Link #178
cry
Berry Bunny

sheryl made me tought of this duo because i really like her for the same reasons : they are real strong female characters, with some independance/maturity we don't usually see in animes, and they're not... how can i say "faire valoir" in english, shit.
i agree they are really different also.
(for meer & lacus... they are really blah, there's nothing interesting about them -_- (sorry fans))

who's the character designer? i wanna chu him for her design, i'm really fan of his work with Sheryl!
Old 2008-05-20, 15:39   Link #179
Tak

Quote:

who's the character designer? i wanna chu him for her design, i'm really fan of his work with Sheryl!
Character designers are Risa Ebata and Yūichi Takahashi.

I hope you are a fan of Sheryl not because she is, well, more or less, French.

- Tak
Old 2008-05-21, 00:15   Link #180
4Tran

Quote:
sheryl made me tought of this duo because i really like her for the same reasons : they are real strong female characters, with some independance/maturity we don't usually see in animes, and they're not... how can i say "faire valoir" in english, shit.
i agree they are really different also.
(for meer & lacus... they are really blah, there's nothing interesting about them -_- (sorry fans))
Well, I like Dianna and Kihel; and Meer and Lacus as well, and I think that they're all interesting in their own ways, but I don't think that any of them hold a candle to Sheryl. She's so well characterized and she's so fun that there aren't a whole lot of characters in the past few years that come close.

Tags
characters