AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf II - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 40 40.40%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 32 32.32%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 21.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.05%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.01%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-13, 11:16   Link #101
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I just see it has Horo showing her cute side infront of Lawrence, not this change in character a lot of people keep going on about.
Same here; I don't see how her character is being changed. If anything her character is being more fleshed out and she is showing feelings that she never expressed before. It also shows how much her relationship with Lawrence has developed.
Old 2009-07-13, 14:28   Link #102
FTGT

Finally, I found the time to watch the first episode of the new season.... and I am TAKEN ABACK (in a very positiv way). It was way better than I hoped it would be. I am so happy, right now.... *hugging the entire world*. ^^

The only thing that displeases me a little bit is the lack of Lawrence thoughts. I have read some of the novel-translations and noticed the following.

Spoiler for Novel->Anime:

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioIzzy View Post
10/10

Started off where the first season left off with a blast.

Perfect
Couldnt agree more!

The opening song is just marvelous. I admit that the song is not as unique as it was for the first season, but its still fabulous. The ending song is also to my liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

ED was a pleasant surprise...a major spoiler in itself and a nice way to finish off the episode with a more serious "wailing tune".

Spoiler for ED:
Spoiler for Comments about the ED pics:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post

...it was a quiet peaceful episode, which didnt drag, and I enjoyed a lot.. Also, the mood seems slightly different between Lawrence and Horo.. its more.. gentle. I hope its not just me, but I am really looking forward to the slow, but steady development of the series romantic undertones - not driven by wild 'raging' proposals and events.
*nod nod nod*.
Thats the reason why this show has this rather unique feeling to it. Its very mature and well-thought-out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post

The worst part, I read the 2 novels for this season, so I know what's going to happen. But I can't help but still talking to the screen and telling Lawrence what he should be doing, even though I know he's going to do it anyway and what troubles will be caused because of it.
Same here.... it also happened during the first season. Normally I am mumbling something like *hug her now!", "cuddle her tail" or "what the hell are you waiting for, she is bare naked".
Old 2009-07-13, 15:21   Link #103
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Oh man, I had totally forgotten that the new series was starting now. I thought we still had more time after episode 0. So happy to have it back.

Anyway, great first episode. The interactions seemed fine and just the same to me though a bit more open than before, but that makes sense to me. The whole start in the cart was funny and sweet at the same time. My favorite part had to be Horo's reaction to Lawrence saying she wasn't his type and then getting the best of him in the end.

I liked both the opening and ending songs. I kind of like the first opening song a bit better, but this one was very nice too with some good imagery as well. And I definitely like Rocky Chack's ending more than the first one though that one was all right as well.

Out of curiosity, how many of the novels does this seem to be adapting? I can see signs of at least 3 of them, which I think might be the same as last season.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 2009-07-13, 21:45   Link #104
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
I think we were just spoiled by first season's OP and ED, both were great. Second season's are ok. Nothing bad about them, but nothing great either. It's just that compared to first season they look even worser than they really are.

Btw, have you listened to the 1st season's "Yakusoku no Uta" ? It's a great song, but it's so rare! Most songs by the same name is some retarded sailor moon thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qvfpw49P0g

I could only find one on youtube. Btw, anyone know when this song was used? I don't recall hearing it during the 1st season...but it sounds just as good as the OP.
Old 2009-07-13, 22:17   Link #105
Kayin
s c a r l e t
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Kayin
Hmmm, I knew that Horo's nightmare with Lawrence's limited lifespan was significant in episode 0, but wow, they go and make it the opening scene in episode one! Pretty obvious that a big mortality/immortality issue is going to happen between them, not to mention that Lawrence still has his own dream to make a reality (making his own store). So Horo is going to wrestle with how short Lawrence's life is going to be, and Lawrence is wrestling with his desire to build a store and somehow stay with Horo.

I just wonder how tragic or happy it's going to end up being.
Old 2009-07-13, 22:40   Link #106
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
Hmmm, I knew that Horo's nightmare with Lawrence's limited lifespan was significant in episode 0, but wow, they go and make it the opening scene in episode one! Pretty obvious that a big mortality/immortality issue is going to happen between them, not to mention that Lawrence still has his own dream to make a reality (making his own store). So Horo is going to wrestle with how short Lawrence's life is going to be, and Lawrence is wrestling with his desire to build a store and somehow stay with Horo.

I just wonder how tragic or happy it's going to end up being.
Elf Arwen + Human Aragon in Lord of the Rings?
One of em has to give up their immortality, and it ain't the guy!
Old 2009-07-13, 23:47   Link #107
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I just see it has Horo showing her cute side infront of Lawrence, not this change in character a lot of people keep going on about.
You do understand that I am talking mostly about the artwork here, right?

Her character itself looks fine for me, pretty much following the novels. Its just I dont like how they made her eyes rounder thus giving the moe looks instead of maturity and coolness her eyes had in the previous season.
Old 2009-07-14, 01:03   Link #108
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye, the eye design itself has shifted slightly and lost a hair of its appraising calculating look. I guess I should actually crop up some examples but .... I just don't have the time to pursue it at the moment.
Old 2009-07-14, 01:08   Link #109
bekyuubi

Oh my goodness.. I didn't know about this other song. It really came from spice and wolf? Hmm... doesn't fit spice and wolf though.
Old 2009-07-14, 01:08   Link #110
klare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intranetusa View Post
Elf Arwen + Human Aragon in Lord of the Rings?
One of em has to give up their immortality, and it ain't the guy!
i remember the story goes like: after Aragon died, Arwen was still looking young and had to live on as an immortal... i may be wrong

anyway this eps feels like a direct continuation from season 1, nothing missing in between, which is good

i also agree that Horo looks a bit different, cuter but less mysterious

their conversation style also changed, Horo used talked like she is superior, but now she talked like Lawrence's girlfriend, more flirting

looking forward for new plot in the next eps
Old 2009-07-14, 03:34   Link #111
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
You do understand that I am talking mostly about the artwork here, right?
You may be, though that doesn't mean everyone is.
Old 2009-07-14, 04:31   Link #112
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Arwen did eventually fade away.... but it was quite lonely and bitter for a long, long time as she wandered the woods alone (from the Appendix).
Old 2009-07-14, 06:09   Link #113
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

If Spice and Wolf ends with anything less than an acceptable ending, not necessarily good or bar at that, there will be blood to be shed.

Copious amounts of it.
Old 2009-07-14, 09:17   Link #114
Starburst
Horo♥

I keep wondering how S&W can possibly end happily... And some how I feel that if it does, it wont be a real ending, or I'll feel gypped...

This season can end happy, that's fine, but the series of novels... If Horo were to give up her immortality or long life (whichever it may be), I think that would be sad in and of itself.

What would be an acceptable ending?
Old 2009-07-14, 09:30   Link #115
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

She could put off coming back to Yoitsu (for more than a visit, I mean) for another 50 years or so, and spend the rest of Lawrence's life with him.
Old 2009-07-14, 11:33   Link #116
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
I keep wondering how S&W can possibly end happily... And some how I feel that if it does, it wont be a real ending, or I'll feel gypped...

This season can end happy, that's fine, but the series of novels... If Horo were to give up her immortality or long life (whichever it may be), I think that would be sad in and of itself.

What would be an acceptable ending?
I think it's going to end in a somewhat happy way, but bittersweet at the same time.

For example an ending like Ann Minh submitted. Horo and Lawrence end up together for the rest of Lawrence's life. To me that would be an acceptable ending.
Old 2009-07-14, 12:05   Link #117
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
For example an ending like Ann Minh submitted. Horo and Lawrence end up together for the rest of Lawrence's life. To me that would be an acceptable ending.
Although it would be one hell of an upsetting ending, at the same time it would be very heart warming. I hoping for this kind of ending anyway.
Old 2009-07-14, 16:01   Link #118
Somnus
Eh?

I'm loving the new season so much I've entered the territory of "it hurts to wait til the next ep". As far as this discussion about the ending goes, I too would be content with Horo living with Lawrence for the rest of his days. On the other hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
If Spice and Wolf ends with anything less than an acceptable ending, not necessarily good or bar at that, there will be blood to be shed.

Copious amounts of it.
I also agree with this, and will offer my assistance in shedding said blood.
Old 2009-07-14, 21:34   Link #119
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
i remember the story goes like: after Aragon died, Arwen was still looking young and had to live on as an immortal... i may be wrong

anyway this eps feels like a direct continuation from season 1, nothing missing in between, which is good

i also agree that Horo looks a bit different, cuter but less mysterious

their conversation style also changed, Horo used talked like she is superior, but now she talked like Lawrence's girlfriend, more flirting

looking forward for new plot in the next eps

Arwen lived out the rest of her life in the forest in isolation. She still had a long lifespan (100+ years) but wasn't immortal anymore and did eventually die of old age.
Old 2009-07-14, 22:35   Link #120
Voitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
I think it's going to end in a somewhat happy way, but bittersweet at the same time.

It may actually be even comical in a morbid fashion.

It isn't out of the realm of possibility that Horo may bear Lawrence's children (hopefully immortal as their mother is) and will always have something to be fond of from Lawrence.

So of course, to be even happier, she'll want a large litter of kids running about, giving Lawrence a big headache (but an even bigger heart, daawwwww~)
Closed Thread