AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-10-23, 08:19   Link #41
K_R
also known as K!

Translating an English OP into Japanese sounds like fun.

But to get to the point, karaoke in general is pure wank-factor.

This kind of ties in with watching fansubs... Just watch the English dubbed version. It's not like you serfs can understand Japanese anyway.
K_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 15:35   Link #42
kagelump

well... if you people ever go to a karaoke box (where they have in a tv, microphones, and speakers in a room and you just sing, its also called KTV in some places), I would highly doubt to find any places where they have a japanese song with romanji lyrics, they're all kanji w/ furigana, therefore making kanji a bases for what karaoke actually means... but then, we're talking about fansubbing here.
kagelump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 19:35   Link #43
ubb

If I ever become QCer, the kanji will at least aid me a bit in correcting the karaoke translation with my knowledge in chinese.
ubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 20:34   Link #44
Kidd
SD Translator

Send a message via ICQ to Kidd Send a message via AIM to Kidd Send a message via MSN to Kidd Send a message via Yahoo to Kidd
I don't care much if it's there or not, though I agree that it's kind of pointless to have kanji and even kana in the opening karaoke. I fansub, I'm not trying to sell a cool product here; I fansub. My self imposed role is to translate what is said inside the episode, and if I feel like it also the songs (really, I don't see how the song translations are that important either; most people don't care anyway I think). I translate songs and write up kanji to get the "now I did a good job"-feeling, not to mention that the rest of the group enjoys it, lol. But really, I could do without it on my own. On the matter of using the wrong kanji, I always double-check that I did indeed use the proper kanji, and if I don't know what the difference is between two kanji I decide to not put either in; I rather have correct hiragana for a word here and there than having the wrong kanji. Sure, most people won't notice, and my translations aren't here to make other people learn japanese, but I want to be as correct as possible in my work of course so I stray from using kanji when I'm unsure.
Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 21:53   Link #45
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

My opinion on the matter is simple: get rid of romaji and add furigana to the kanji. I don't even really care that much about having a translation, but if you must have it then either have the translation or the karaoke, not both.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 00:57   Link #46
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
I don't even really care that much about having a translation
Keep in mind, the discussion is about fansubs where the language is generally being translated from Japanese to English. Exactly what would the point be of having Japanese karaoke and no English translation?
LordBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 03:31   Link #47
JediNight
キズランダム

I don't know exactly how far back it goes, but there is a tradition since ye olde days of tapesubs to have English and Romaji lyrics. When you are making an *English* fansub translated FROM Japanese, it doesn't make sense that you would put Kanji lyrics exclusively for an audience that can't read it.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 08:38   Link #48
K_R
also known as K!

I'm sure there are people, especially those who are learning Japanese, who enjoy having the kanzi/kana present.
K_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 08:41   Link #49
ShikaShika
無罪

I'm part of the 0.2% that can actually read the kanji (well at least hiragana, katakana and some kanji) and I think it's great that I can have a part of the ep where I can listen to and read the Japanese at the same time. It makes you pick up some details you might miss otherwise. If someone would actually sub an entire ep in Japanese that would be even better (bot completely pointless for most). Of course if I wasn't learning the language I probably wouldn't care either, but I am learning it (or trying ).
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote