AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-11-22, 21:11   Link #1
kagelump

Problem with dvd drive - slow reading

When i read a cd or dvd from one of my dvd drive, cpu usage turns to 100%, and it reads really slow
and according to device managers, it says the ide bus used by the drive is set to PIO mode, when i picked DMA
this doesn't happen with my other drive, but its still annoying that i have two drive and i can only use one
Also, it doesn't happen under linux, and the ide bus is set to DMA under the bios
picture: http://www.geocities.com/quicklump/pio.jpg

i'm using windows XP if it matters
kagelump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-22, 22:05   Link #2
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

A few things.

1. Check your DVD mfg's website. There may be a firmware update you need. Also check for drivers. Maybe something is causing windows to not access the drive correctly.

2. Error Log. Do you see anything in your system error log? Read errors and so forth?

3. Looks like you are using UltraDMA card. Do you have the drivers for it? Sometimes DVD drives have problems with UltraDMA expansion cards. for example, my new LiteOn drive had to be on the primary IDE vs. secondary IDE. My IDE Mfg was Promise (it was a known bug with the card and Windows XP). Maybe you need to switch it like I did.

I would also ask the following but you say it doesnt happen with Linux.

1. Insufficient power? What's your Powersupply output? Do you have a lot of drives connected? It may be that you are over the limit. Try connecting your DVD drive to a different power connector or remove another drive to see if that helps

2. Cleaning.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-24, 00:42   Link #3
kagelump

nevermind, appears microsoft intentionally set it to pio mode after i fed the drive with a few corrupted cds and dvd -__-;

and found solutions here:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6645

thanks anyways
kagelump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-24, 01:09   Link #4
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

I was going to suggest that issue next. It's rare but I guess you hit it. At least you are back working again.

Windows will step back to the more compatible one since DMA is failing due to read errors. It's either this or the infamous BSOD in NT.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote