AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2014-02-27, 12:31   Link #33981
Captain Bluebeard
Detective, Witch, Pirate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by battle22 View Post
All over Chiru? Come on.

Episode 7 beats whole Rondo.
I'm not going to lie, I deucedly enjoyed Chiru and in fact, I can't wait to read it again for the, what is it, fifth time?

However, now that my... *ahem* perfectly healthy obsession with Umineko is out of my system, I can look at it a lot more objectively than before. There is no denying that Chiru is sloppily written, and is inferior to the question arcs in terms of organization. Everything just flies all over the place which causes the loss of fundamendal stuff somewhere along the way (not to say this isn't the case with EP1-4, but not to the same degree).

Sure, the action and the characters manage to save the day. The story manages to carry itself in a very satisfying way, but objectively speaking, it is far from perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
I'm curious: Which aspect of feminine-oriented love is it that makes you decide to kill yourself over things you know aren't actually true, and why is that in any way an admirable thing and not a sign of serious depression or severe mental illness? I guess I'm just too male to understand.
I'm possibly way too male as well, but I would suggest completely ignoring every remark Ryukishi makes about the two sexes. It is simply contradictory to rules of logic and he even proves it with his own characters, so I'm not sure why he would even say that....

Seriously, while there is an abudance of this sexism in Umineko I didn't pay much attention. I thought 'hey, they're just trying to be cute but failing' and anyway I was too engrossed with the story to pay it any mind.
However, after doing some homework on Ryukishi's work you can't fail to notice that it is all over everything the guy has ever written.

Quote:
Will, the guy who understands the truth of Clair's heart... uh... is a dude. A dude with specific training toward a rationalist, orthodox mindset one might characterize as more typical for a male reader.
THIS is why a large portion of the fanbase wants Will to be gay! Oh! It all makes sense now!!

It's tough to be blue...
Captain Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 12:41   Link #33982
battle22

Quote:
I'm not going to lie, I deucedly enjoyed Chiru and in fact, I can't wait to read it again for the, what is it, fifth time?

However, now that my... *ahem* perfectly healthy obsession with Umineko is out of my system, I can look at it a lot more objectively than before. There is no denying that Chiru is sloppily written, and is inferior to the question arcs in terms of organization. Everything just flies all over the place which causes the loss of fundamendal stuff somewhere along the way (not to say this isn't the case with EP1-4, but not to the same degree).

Sure, the action and the characters manage to save the day. The story manages to carry itself in a very satisfying way, but objectively speaking, it is far from perfect.
EP7 has zero action. Please do not assume that I prefer Chiru to Rondo because of its action.
Old 2014-02-27, 12:44   Link #33983
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

To be honest, the moments of action in most of Chiru felt... kind of pointless. The non-manga version of the Battler/Erika fight in ep8 is a good example of this, it's completely without meaning. Spectacle conquers content in far, far too many points in Chiru, in no small part because of the divorce of the mystery angle and the debate battles from just battles generally.

Pretty much all the best action scenes in Chiru are tied closely to the plot - Beatrice vs. Erika in ep6, the ep7 Tea Party, the parts of ep8 ironically not involving Battler or Erika - but the others have always fallen flat for me. They're flash without a lot of substance. I was even criticized a bit for this myself, and it's fair.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 13:27   Link #33984
Captain Bluebeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by battle22 View Post
EP7 has zero action. Please do not assume that I prefer Chiru to Rondo because of its action.
As far as I recall, I never made that assumption, I was speaking about Chiru in general. EP7 might be considered a 'tranquil' episode because it mostly deals with explanations, but it would be wrong to say it doesn't involve any action. What about Kinzo's gunfight over the gold, WillVSBern and kittens and so on?

Quote:
To be honest, the moments of action in most of Chiru felt... kind of pointless. The non-manga version of the Battler/Erika fight in ep8 is a good example of this, it's completely without meaning.
This really makes me interested in the manga version of EP8. I often hear that it basically gives hints about the gameboards, but I suppose it'll be a long time before we see it scanlated.

Quote:
Pretty much all the best action scenes in Chiru are tied closely to the plot - Beatrice vs. Erika in ep6, the ep7 Tea Party, the parts of ep8 ironically not involving Battler or Erika - but the others have always fallen flat for me. They're flash without a lot of substance. I was even criticized a bit for this myself, and it's fair.
Yes, EP8 gets way too flashy, it is the finale so I guess it had to be something grand, but it could also provide a chance to use the action scenes to adress some of the points that were left untouched due to sloppy writing.

AngeVSBeatrice over the Book of Truth is a very good example. It could have been very informative if handled differently. It's not the same if there is not something to fight about, something that is relevant to the plot, like per say, the Logic Error fight, which I consider to be one of the best throughout the entire series.

Although I did get a kick out of the final battle in the Golden Land which was also mostly flash! (Cut me some slack, willya, it had a pirate hat and a fleet of Goats)
In all fairness though, it does turn the characters into a magniloquent mob.

It's tough to be blue...
Old 2014-02-27, 14:27   Link #33985
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
Makes me want to go and read some Edogawa Rampo books. Looks as if the ones I could get hold of are The Fiend with Twenty Faces, The Black Lizard, and Moju. Moju's description is a bit too much on the gory side for me, so I'll skip that one.
Sadly, nobody seems to have translated his more proto-detective-esque stories so far...well, it gives me an opening
His Murder Case on D-Slope is basically a Japanese Murder in the Rue Morgue with more SM-sex and less monkey. If you want to see a nice movie adaptation that shows off how his works function, the film version of Moju and the "wild amalgamation of Ranpo themes" movie Horrors of Malformed Men give a good idea of his Eroguro (erotic-grotesque) style.

It really is a shame he never really inserted any real comments about Japanese mystery fiction and left it at name-drops and nods.

Quote:
I'm curious: Which aspect of feminine-oriented love is it that makes you decide to kill yourself over things you know aren't actually true, and why is that in any way an admirable thing and not a sign of serious depression or severe mental illness? I guess I'm just too male to understand
Reading this interview, I think we are hitting him a little too hard with the sexism-club. He's not really talking about his characters or a general way of being but more of a way to approach media-contents...and I think he's not completely wrong. Not because men and women are that different on an inherently genetic level, but more because they are raised that way.
I think he just doesn't think that deeply about what he says there, since nobody really bashes you actively for sexist remarks in Japan.

I translated the section where he talks about this a little more:
Quote:
Without love it can't be seen, the truth of the case
How high was the percentage of correct ideas of the truth actually
Ryukishi07: When talking about the motives for the incident, I think my own manner of depicting things was faulty in parts as well, but it seems like there were some parts that were especially hard to get across to men. I think that's why I made „Without love it can't be seen“ into the tagline of everything.
Why do you consider it easier to communicate this to women?
R07: Maybe it's because, when it comes to love and relationships, women tend to think a lot more earnestly and deeply about them, don't you think?!. Especially since the moe-boom started, the male view of love in and around fictional works is being dominated by „bright thoughts“, it seems to be only constructed of ideals in most cases. They skip over the harsh parts with the goal of „wanting to make out with the girl“, demand a heavenly situation, there is no bargaining concerning love. They just ignore that there can be a worth in a certain amount of hardship. Even when reading manga women who prefer the communication and exchange of emotions to be properly portrayed are in the majority, so I think there are more opportunities for them to think earnestly about love than for men. I sometimes receive comments from female players like, „It's so nice how well depicted the female characters in your works are,“ or „You sure you aren't actually a woman Ryukishi07?“ or „You're really good at depicting how emotionally complicated women are.“ I can't really say if that is meant as praise or not though *laughs*.
Last time we talked about how this „Women Theory a'la Ryukishi07“ already started in Higurashi no naku koro ni, around Mekakushi-hen.
R07: Both in Higurashi and in Umineko I am not depicting the inner world of women, but of humans. It just happens that most of these characters happened to be female. Especially in Mekakushi-hen there were alot of voices from female users who had problems to emotionally associate. Though there are still a lot of aspects about women that I know nothing about, the lesson I took away while writing Umineko could be expressed in, „So the perspective of men and women is actually different?“
Both Higurashi and Umineko seem to have a lot of female followers, don't they?
R07: It's not like I am choosing a target and then start writing geared towards that, but I also have the impression that female users increased in the end. Looking at the number appreciation mails for example, over half of them seem to be from women. Even when thinking about circle structures, there are almost too many female cosplayers. Mentioning that, I even know 3 or 4 couples that met over Umineko and married, I even received stories of them wanting to use the Umineko sigil for their wedding rings.
I highlighted the part that stood out for me and redeemed him a little in my eyes. I think he's just really clumsy when it comes to expressing himself (which is kind of ironic)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bluebeard View Post
This really makes me interested in the manga version of EP8. I often hear that it basically gives hints about the gameboards, but I suppose it'll be a long time before we see it scanlated.
I would try to get into that if I wasn't that busy right now...busy and out of a stable home to stay
The manga so far is what the VN should have been. It gives answers to most of the gameboards, it clears up EP6, it gives Erika some well needed characterization, it shows what Ange sees in Eva's diary in more details, etc.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 14:59   Link #33986
battle22

Ah, such BS Ryu

How can he be so sexist when he is trying to fight it with the character "Eva"? Damn you, lol

But I do think that Ryukishi's females are the strongest characters most of the time and better written. I don't believe there is a person who can disagree on the fact that Eva Ushiromiya is the most complex character he ever wrote, lol.

Quote:
To be honest, the moments of action in most of Chiru felt... kind of pointless. The non-manga version of the Battler/Erika fight in ep8 is a good example of this, it's completely without meaning. Spectacle conquers content in far, far too many points in Chiru, in no small part because of the divorce of the mystery angle and the debate battles from just battles generally.

Exactly. This is a legit criticism. Ryu had too much fun with the fights lol, especially the ones in Episode 6 and 8. Dragged the story too much. However I still think Chiru had far better pacing than EP1-4...
Old 2014-02-27, 15:15   Link #33987
jjblue1

Someone posted pictures from the last chap of Ep 8. In Prime Yasu looked like Shannon wearing a wig... and it seems the manga explains in details her drama, starting from how she was impressed by Battler liking big breasted girls and she wasn't and so on, probably dealing with the 2 missing years that weren't touched in EP 7.

Can I say I worship the manga SO BADLY?
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 15:42   Link #33988
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
Sadly, nobody seems to have translated his more proto-detective-esque stories so far...well, it gives me an opening
His Murder Case on D-Slope is basically a Japanese Murder in the Rue Morgue with more SM-sex and less monkey. If you want to see a nice movie adaptation that shows off how his works function, the film version of Moju and the "wild amalgamation of Ranpo themes" movie Horrors of Malformed Men give a good idea of his Eroguro (erotic-grotesque) style.

It really is a shame he never really inserted any real comments about Japanese mystery fiction and left it at name-drops and nods.
I suspect that the Eroguro stuff would not be to my taste at all, especially if that's something that crops up a lot in his work, but Ranpo's work is famous enough that I should definitely try something from it, even out of the limited selection available for order online in English. I'll probably just get hold of The Black Lizard and Beast in the Shadows and cross my fingers. I'd try Murder Case on D-Slope if I could, since it seems it's the first in the Kogorō Akechi books, but I can't seem to find it so far.

Yep. A whole literary tradition of mystery fiction, and Umineko doesn't look at it properly. It's a wasted opportunity. But, best of luck with any novel translation efforts!

Quote:
I highlighted the part that stood out for me and redeemed him a little in my eyes. I think he's just really clumsy when it comes to expressing himself (which is kind of ironic)...
Thanks for the further translation there. Ryukishi does come over a bit better there. Although really, really clueless. He does seem to have some views which are surprising given what I consider his skill in writing characters with depth to them in Umineko. Hell, at least with the mothers in Umineko, he gave them so much more depth than the fathers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblue1 View Post
Someone posted pictures from the last chap of Ep 8. In Prime Yasu looked like Shannon wearing a wig... and it seems the manga explains in details her drama, starting from how she was impressed by Battler liking big breasted girls and she wasn't and so on, probably dealing with the 2 missing years that weren't touched in EP 7.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!

I must see at least some of those pictures, I must. And I'm thrilled that we might get to see the two missing years.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 15:44   Link #33989
Drifloon

Um, yeah, seriously guys, I know this is a sensitive topic around here but I don't think that single line haguruma posted really warranted such a violent reaction, especially when it was only a brief summary and not even a formal translation. It almost seems to have gotten to the point where anything Ryukishi says about gender is immediately met with comments to the effect of "It's best to ignore anything he says on the subject", without even trying to actually see where he's coming from or to put his points into context. As Renall has pointed out, his work evidently shows that he doesn't hold to the kinds of rigid gender stereotypes that people are accusing him of advocating, so why is everyone so quick to interpret his comments that way?

I'll admit that my gut reaction to that particular interview quote has always been kind of "come on, really Ryukishi?", but after reading what hagurama has translated, I don't think the point he's making is all that crazy; he just didn't put it all that well, which I think he can be forgiven for considering that he presumably had to come up with answers on the spur of the moment and didn't really have the time to fully collect his thoughts before replying. And it does seem a bit unreasonable to immediately interpret what he's saying in relation to a Western post-feminist framework when Japanese culture is obviously very different in that regard. Not that I'm claiming to know anything at all in depth about that, mind you, but it's pretty clear that their understanding of gender is still relatively essentialist and there are firm gender roles in Japan with regards to how one is supposed to speak, act, etc. So I think it's fair to say that the gender divide in Japan is currently considered more absolute than it is in the West, and Ryukishi is probably at least partly a product of his culture in that regard!

From what I understand, Ryukishi isn't trying to say that "all men act this way, and all women act this way", just that women are more likely - based on a combination of innate tendencies, upbringing, and societal pressures - to think in a certain way, and that as a result of this, women in general would tend to be better-equipped to recognise and understand the themes that Umineko is putting across. That doesn't mean that any given woman is going to understand Umineko better than any given man, nor does it mean that all men are incapable of understanding (which, like Renall said, is obviously absurd because he himself is a man and presumably he thinks he understands) - it's just a statement of a general trend. Since the feedback Ryukishi has gotten from fans apparently seems to fit with this idea, I don't think what he's saying deserves to be dismissed out of hand.

At least from what I have seen, Japanese media targeted at males does tend to portray love in a very two-dimensional and idealised way - and considering the massive proliferation of dating sims and eroge and such in Japan, I don't even think that what he says about the idea of "making out with their favorite girl being the ultimate goal" is even much of an exaggeration! He's not attacking males for thinking that way so much as that he's pointing out a real tendency in media targeted at males, and acknowledging that the way that males are continually bombarded with such messages definitely has a tendency to skew their thinking in that direction, which I don't think is that unreasonable. I think Renall in particular seems to be taking this as some kind of a moral judgment where Ryukishi is accusing all males of being shallow jerks who only care about making out with cute girls, but that really doesn't seem to be the message he's trying to put across here.

As an example, when I got an online friend of mine to play Umineko, his reaction to the first George/Shannon scene in EP1 was basically along the lines of 'Oh this is so cute! Oh they're so perfect for each other, Shannon is so adorable, I'm so happy for her!' and he was pretty much rooting for them all the way through the series. And yes, after finishing the series and discussing it for a while, he did understand that the relationship was definitely nowhere near as pretty and perfect as he thought it was, but the fact that he even had that reaction in the first place kind of spoke volumes to me, personally, because it showed that he'd evidently been conditioned to see that kind of shounen style of perfect fairy-tale love as a kind of ultimate ideal.

Personally, I've read enough shounen stuff that I'm more or less accustomed to cringing whenever anything romantic happens, because it's just so totally far removed from reality - and totally removed from anything that would actually constitute a healthy relationship too! - that I find it impossible to take seriously or care about at all. I've seen the same tendency throughout videogames, anime, and manga; I could easily count the number of romantic relationships in Japanese media that I've actually been moved by on one hand, so I think it's pretty wide-spread! And I'm sure that plenty of people who don't know any better end up being conditioned by reading a lot of that kind of material, to the point that they that kind of love is actually something that exists, and something to strive for. So when I first read the George/Shannon parts in Umineko, I actually just assumed that all the creepy possessiveness and objectification of Shannon on George's part was something that was actually meant to be admired and respected as 'true love' because that's the sort of crap that I've come to expect in Japanese media. Needless to say I was very pleasantly surprised when I realised there was so much more to it than that! So I think that what Ryukishi is trying to say is that, if your only experience of 'love' is the kind of thing you see in manga and anime, then you probably won't understand Umineko, and that that's the impression that he gets from a lot of the fanbase in Japan - particularly the male fanbase, because they're so frequently exposed to media that portrays romance in ways that bear no resemblance to reality. I don't think that's particularly sexist, honestly - it's a pretty valid point that, in my experience at least, seems to be fairly accurate.

Also...

Quote:
I'm curious: Which aspect of feminine-oriented love is it that makes you decide to kill yourself over things you know aren't actually true, and why is that in any way an admirable thing and not a sign of serious depression or severe mental illness? I guess I'm just too male to understand.
Okay, Renall, I know we've talked about this before and I don't really think there's much more to be gained for either of us from going over it again, but...Seriously, you could at least try to accurately represent Ryukishi when you say things like this. Ryukishi has never implied that we're supposed to look at Yasu's actions as an "admirable thing" - only that he hoped that we would be able to sympathise with her and understand what led her to feel that way. He hoped that we would be able to reach a similar viewpoint to Will's - to acknowledge that, while what she did was wrong, we aren't really qualified to condemn her if we haven't been through the same kind of pain and suffering that she did. I get that Ryukishi's position on this is something that you're particularly offended by on moral grounds, and it's understandable that you're angry because of that, but this blatant misrepresentation of his viewpoint is uncalled for. I know for a fact that you have a better understanding of his position - and of mine - than this, so please try to be more calm and reasonable about it, otherwise there's no point in trying to discuss it at all.
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 16:18   Link #33990
jjblue1

Quote:
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!

I must see at least some of those pictures, I must. And I'm thrilled that we might get to see the two missing years.
So far they're just some random pictures but hopefully more will get posted. Meanwhile enjoy!

(also a summary of the chapter would be greatly apprecciated as it seems to contain completely new material not included in the VN)
Old 2014-02-27, 16:56   Link #33991
battle22

My Japanese is poor...but does it really say something about Periods? Somebody TL it please.

Btw, don't you think we are getting too much details? We already knew this, why do we need to spell it out so clearly.
Old 2014-02-27, 16:57   Link #33992
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifloon View Post
I think Renall in particular seems to be taking this as some kind of a moral judgment where Ryukishi is accusing all males of being shallow jerks who only care about making out with cute girls, but that really doesn't seem to be the message he's trying to put across here.
And yet he fills his works with an abundance of "cute girls" that seem kind of targeted at precisely that. While I think he largely avoided that trope with respect to the majority of the female characters in the 1986 segments (particularly Jessica and Maria, with maybe the intentional exception of Shannon), and with Beatrice (who most certainly has a sexual nature, but in a way that stands largely distinct from what you're alleging he's analyzing here), the magic characters sort of go the opposite direction and I think that's a valid thing to question when he also starts bringing up concepts like that in interviews.

If he views this as a problem, or sees it as something more complex that his work intends to address, why were so many of these secondary characters... well... largely just bait for exactly the kind of reaction he didn't want? If he was doing it solely with Shannon, and the point of that was as a criticism of that notion and the revelations about Shannon's nature and connection to Beatrice were meant to peel away that idealistic/romantic veneer, I'd be able to accept what you're trying to say more readily. But then there's a dozen cutesy fantasy girls in leotards with stereotypical personalities that seem to appeal baldly to that demographic.
Quote:
So when I first read the George/Shannon parts in Umineko, I actually just assumed that all the creepy possessiveness and objectification of Shannon on George's part was something that was actually meant to be admired and respected as 'true love' because that's the sort of crap that I've come to expect in Japanese media. Needless to say I was very pleasantly surprised when I realised there was so much more to it than that! So I think that what Ryukishi is trying to say is that, if your only experience of 'love' is the kind of thing you see in manga and anime, then you probably won't understand Umineko, and that that's the impression that he gets from a lot of the fanbase in Japan - particularly the male fanbase, because they're so frequently exposed to media that portrays romance in ways that bear no resemblance to reality. I don't think that's particularly sexist, honestly - it's a pretty valid point that, in my experience at least, seems to be fairly accurate.
Again, I think that would have been something that could have approached a level of legitimate criticism, but he did his best not to follow through on it. As an example, there never seemed to be any sort of consequence to George's frankly disturbing thoughts in ep6, and the notion that he was manipulative or unhealthily controlling appears not just to have been ignored but more or less refuted by Ryukishi on one occasion (although, admittedly, teased on another when discussing who might have hidden the letter).

I certainly get where you're trying to drive this with respect to him portraying something a more traditionally-socialized male readership might be more familiar with and then dismantling it to demonstrate that matters are more complex, and that perhaps a female audience would not be lured in by its surface appearances in the first place, but I both strongly question that notion and wonder why he would make statements that appear more inflammatory toward the former group rather than suggesting they ought to do something like examine why they view certain aspects of fiction in the manner that they do. Encourage them to question George and Shannon's relationship, not tell them that's the kind of relationship he knows they're generally expecting and that media have presented to them to like and that he expects that will make things harder on them.

It's needlessly confrontational, in the same manner as the goats in ep8. He may not have meant to antagonize or demonize aspects of his readership, but by all appearances that's exactly what he did do. And it smacks of excuse-making. If he's concerned that his male readership didn't get at his point as quickly or as frequently as his female readership, perhaps he failed to properly address the issues he was aware of with respect to the way present media targets them.
Quote:
Ryukishi has never implied that we're supposed to look at Yasu's actions as an "admirable thing" - only that he hoped that we would be able to sympathise with her and understand what led her to feel that way. He hoped that we would be able to reach a similar viewpoint to Will's - to acknowledge that, while what she did was wrong, we aren't really qualified to condemn her if we haven't been through the same kind of pain and suffering that she did.
I condemn people for doing things they know to be wrong. Beatrice appears to have known that she did wrong (whatever it is that she did), had an opportunity to set matters right to some extent or other, and chose not to do so for selfish reasons. I don't need to have lived her pain to know what's right and what's wrong. Understanding what she went through just explains her actions; it doesn't justify them. I get the sense that Ryukishi believes that it does, and I have to disagree. Justifying a person's bad actions without demanding any change to their behavior is tacit acceptance of the evil they have done.

And Yasu is regrettably not afforded any narrative opportunity for redemption, so she's left in a sort of moral limbo where she clearly didn't want what happened to have happened after the fact but isn't given the chance to grow and change in light of those hardships. The author could have portrayed that as one of the tragedies of the whole event (then at least we could accept it as realism; not everyone gets a chance to redeem themselves, or to fulfill their dreams), but I'm not sure he specifically intended to do so.

Regarding his interviews, if he doesn't want to be misunderstood on this matter maybe he shouldn't bring the same confusing and contradictory message up whenever it's asked. I can accept him getting his point across incorrectly on the spur of the moment, but he has made a number of statements on what appear to be independent occasions that are rather perplexing given the greater degree of maturity and perspective he's actually demonstrated in his work. But because I notice these inconsistencies does not mean I am "mischaracterizing" him, because there is the distinct possibility that he is actually somehow unconscious of the fact that his work is more progressive than he is.

Honestly, I find the rest of that "clarification" that haguruma translated to more or less support that. He seems quite fascinated with the notion that the gender of his reader changes their approach somewhat, but at the same time he appears to be rather unaware of what that actually means and what he as an author can do about it. I think that he is intelligent enough to try, and I think either consciously or unconsciously he did try, but I'm not sure how much of his effort is something he actively recognizes is an attempt to explore these issues. I don't know whether he has any answers or just wants to examine the problem, and I'm not sure he knows either. I'm also not convinced he understands women as much as he seems to think he does.

If there's one accurate point that he's making, it's that he definitely functions best when he's trying to portray characters as they are as human beings, rather than as men or women. Arguably the weakest parts of Eva's character are when she's grumping about gender instead of just achieving and asserting her force of personality in a general way, and Ange's issues are largely (and realistically) gender-neutral. I suppose the problem becomes that gender is an important (indeed, crucial) aspect of Yasu's personality and later attitude, and he really could've had something to say by presenting, dissociating, and then re-associating the importance of self-perceived gender meaning in the characterization of a fully-layered human being (because, like it or not, those things do matter).

He didn't, and looking back on it I'm not sure he was a good enough writer to do it. Most people probably aren't. I think maybe, hopefully, he wanted to, and I can see aspects of that sort of characterization for many characters (not just Yasu). But when he makes statements like those he comes across as either completely out of his element or just as captivated by preconceived notions as the readers that fascinate him. It's possible that isn't at all what he meant, but if so then his ability to communicate his true intentions is quite insufficient.

In a way it's kind of funny: An author who writes a book about trying to get someone to understand your position through a roundabout and expansive work of fiction can't adequately express his positions except through a roundabout and expansive work of fiction. This is one of those occasions where he'd probably paint a better picture of himself if he said nothing at all, as his work has already spoken far more effectively about it.

Old 2014-02-27, 16:57   Link #33993
Captain Bluebeard

Quote:
Reading this interview, I think we are hitting him a little too hard with the sexism-club. He's not really talking about his characters or a general way of being but more of a way to approach media-contents...and I think he's not completely wrong. Not because men and women are that different on an inherently genetic level, but more because they are raised that way.
Although I will agree that it was hasty to make conclusions from just a summary and not the statement itself, considering the tendency he has to make stupid remarks like that I don't think it was unjustified.

Though from the looks of the actual statement, yes, I don't think he is being that unreasonable. Clumsy perhaps, but not unreasonable. These stereotypes do exist and they feed on themselves (especially that about the moe culture which he seems to satirize so much in Higurashi).

That being said, he should really, really refrain from making any more clumsy statements about the two sexes. It really does leave a bad taste inside his works. From Higurashi to Rose Guns Days you expect to read phrases like 'my foolish manly pride' and 'as a man I can't afford to lose' that don't have a trace of realism. It is really annoying because all of those are so flat and out of place, his characters don't even seem to support that, Natsuhi for one, has more foolish pride than any male character in the cast.

Sometimes it does feel like he is just making fun of eroge games (like Key's who were an inspiration for Higurashi) and the way they treat male characters, but most of the time it just feels creepy.

And don't get me started on Battler's breast syndrome. Just... urgh....

Quote:
So far they're just some random pictures but hopefully more will get posted. Meanwhile enjoy!
Wait... wait... is this what I think it is? Because if it is then we are getting gender confirmation(?!)

It's a good thing that we get these revisions in the manga. I suppose it proves Ryukishi is aware EP8 was sloppy-work and is somehow making up for it.

It's tough to be blue...

Last edited by Captain Bluebeard; 2014-02-27 at 17:13.
Old 2014-02-27, 18:22   Link #33994
jjblue1

I think/fear the real problem is that either Ryukishi isn't good enough at driving his point across or, by trying to push the readers to think about it, ends up making it too vague and unclear so that it becomes hard to get it... same as the truth of Umineko.

The way I sympathize with PrimeYasu is by assuming she was in such messed up mental state she wasn't really thinking straight but that, at the same time, her own actions were more like a cry for help than a honest wish to kill people, sort of like Rosa, who escaped in the forest not to really leave her house or to disappear in it but because she wanted her parents to worry for her.
So she sends out a letter that invites everyone to solve the epitaph and makes out a rule that says she'll stop if they solve them and basically, deep down think they'll surely solve it as she after all managed to solve it on her own. They just need the proper motivation.

In short deep down she wasn't trying to kill them, she just wanted to go and show them she was so desperate she considered it... same way as Rosa didn't really want to disappear but she fantasized over it and acted over it.

Which can be stupid on Yasu's part but justified by the fact she was in a mindsetting that stopped her from thinking straight and therefore realizing it... or realizing which effect it could have on the adults to show them the gold and the guns... which can work as she's pretty young and focused on her own issues to really think forward that much.

So, while still thinking she made many wrong things, I can understand why she picked up the wrong decisions and not the right ones and I can put her own sins in a different light as well as find the subtle critic in her own actions.

But all this is my personal interpretation. Another person, reading Umineko, might perceive her actions differently because really, it's never clearly states, differently from how it was for Rosa, that he did it not witht he intent to harm but just to have attention/help.

Actually one can even assume the opposite and even feel that Umineko is trying to say 'hey, she had issues so what she did was the right thing to do, understand her!' instead than 'due to her issues this girl, who was left on her own, took the wrong decision and ended up causing horrible things she couldn't even imagine and when she was unable to fix them ended up taking other wrong decisions'.

So, instead than a blurry way to put things, obscuring many truths, it was better if Ryukishi were to force us more to wear Yasu's shoes and walk in them so that we would have to look at the world in her own distorted vision and realize what she could see and what she couldn't.

Also... it seems the chapter in which Yasu's past is shown is supposed to be called "interlude —Ikuko Hachijo—" Is it supposed to hint to a confirmation that Yasu and Ikuko are the same person?
Old 2014-02-27, 18:49   Link #33995
Drifloon

Quote:
And yet he fills his works with an abundance of "cute girls" that seem kind of targeted at precisely that. While I think he largely avoided that trope with respect to the majority of the female characters in the 1986 segments (particularly Jessica and Maria, with maybe the intentional exception of Shannon), and with Beatrice (who most certainly has a sexual nature, but in a way that stands largely distinct from what you're alleging he's analyzing here), the magic characters sort of go the opposite direction and I think that's a valid thing to question when he also starts bringing up concepts like that in interviews.

If he views this as a problem, or sees it as something more complex that his work intends to address, why were so many of these secondary characters... well... largely just bait for exactly the kind of reaction he didn't want? If he was doing it solely with Shannon, and the point of that was as a criticism of that notion and the revelations about Shannon's nature and connection to Beatrice were meant to peel away that idealistic/romantic veneer, I'd be able to accept what you're trying to say more readily. But then there's a dozen cutesy fantasy girls in leotards with stereotypical personalities that seem to appeal baldly to that demographic.
Well, sexualised character designs and the portrayal of love and romantic relationships are two separate points, though I agree there's probably some connection. I think he's pretty much just playing along with genre conventions as far as the female characters' outfits go? Pretty much every VN does it after all, so the decision to include those kinds of designs probably has about as much thought put into it as, say, the decision to include dragons in a fantasy story. I agree that he could certainly stand to improve in that regard, but it's not really all that related to the point he's talking about in the interview; that is, none of those characters are presented as depictions of 'true love' or ideal romantic partners, in the text anyway. The art design choice is a whole different matter, but, well, Japan.

Quote:
Again, I think that would have been something that could have approached a level of legitimate criticism, but he did his best not to follow through on it. As an example, there never seemed to be any sort of consequence to George's frankly disturbing thoughts in ep6, and the notion that he was manipulative or unhealthily controlling appears not just to have been ignored but more or less refuted by Ryukishi on one occasion (although, admittedly, teased on another when discussing who might have hidden the letter).
It's complicated. You're right that Ryukishi doesn't intend to condemn George, and portrays him in a sympathetic light. On the other hand I think it's pretty clear that George's self-centredness and tendency to unthinkingly romanticise the relationship were a significant part of what drove Yasu to hopelessness. I don't think that means we can't also understand and forgive George for doing that - it's clear from EP6 that his inability to attract women was causing him significant self-esteem issues, so it's understandable that he was so caught up in what gaining Shannon's affection meant to him that he failed to adequately consider her own feelings on the matter. Regarding the point you're taking as Ryukishi "refuting" the idea that George handled the relationship poorly, I think that he's more trying to stress that George didn't have any bad intentions; he just had mistaken and naive ideas about what love was, and was so full of those kinds of shounen cliche ideals about "I'll follow my heart no matter what", "My feelings for you are more important than the whole world" and such, that he completely failed to realise how immature he was and how much he was hurting the person he claimed to love so much.

So, I mean, if you're looking for a definite condemnation of George's actions, it's not really there, because Ryukishi generally tends to lean towards understanding people and sympathising with their actions - which can indeed lead to a failure to adequately convey that their actions were still wrong regardless. (Kinzo in EP7 is a prime example of this!) But once we learn about what Yasu was really going through in EP7, it is definitely possible to go back through the series and see for ourselves how much damage George's attitude caused when we think about how the things he was saying and doing must have made her feel. It's not explicitly spelled out, and I'll agree that maybe it should have been, but I do think it's there.

Quote:
I certainly get where you're trying to drive this with respect to him portraying something a more traditionally-socialized male readership might be more familiar with and then dismantling it to demonstrate that matters are more complex, and that perhaps a female audience would not be lured in by its surface appearances in the first place, but I both strongly question that notion and wonder why he would make statements that appear more inflammatory toward the former group rather than suggesting they ought to do something like examine why they view certain aspects of fiction in the manner that they do. Encourage them to question George and Shannon's relationship, not tell them that's the kind of relationship he knows they're generally expecting and that media have presented to them to like and that he expects that will make things harder on them.
I kind of agree that he would probably do better if he would specifically tell his readers which points they're failing to understand, yeah. But he put a lot of emphasis on wanting people to find the truth for themselves, and not spelling out the answers, so I guess he just doesn't want to do that. If I were in his position, personally I would want to try to guide the readers in the right direction a bit more, but I think that he feels he's already written what he wanted to write, and wants to let people interpret it for themselves, which I think is something that can be respected.

For the record, I'm not necessarily saying that Ryukishi was particularly intending from the start to explicitly deconstruct stereotypical male ideals of love or anything, but was probably just trying to paint a three-dimensional picture of love in general, and to point out that it's not necessarily the pure power that can overcome anything which it's sometimes portrayed as. It seems to me that his thoughts on much of the male readership failing to get the point are more down to him reflecting on the fanbase's reactions and the reasons
for that after the fact. It seems like he was really hurt by the fanbase's lack of understanding once the series was over, so I'm sure he thought a lot about why his point didn't get across so well to many people, and I think that what we're seeing in those interview quotes is probably the result of that.

As for the comments being "inflammatory"...well, I'm not sure that's the intention, though they certainly seem to have caused a lot of negative reactions here. But to me, none of what he says really comes across as insulting or judging the male readership for failing to understand? It seems to me like he's just reflecting on the reasons that women may have responded to the work better, and giving his thoughts on that, rather than somehow criticising the male readership for not getting it. At least that's the impression I get anyway.

Quote:
I condemn people for doing things they know to be wrong. Beatrice appears to have known that she did wrong (whatever it is that she did), had an opportunity to set matters right to some extent or other, and chose not to do so for selfish reasons. I don't need to have lived her pain to know what's right and what's wrong. Understanding what she went through just explains her actions; it doesn't justify them. I get the sense that Ryukishi believes that it does, and I have to disagree. Justifying a person's bad actions without demanding any change to their behavior is tacit acceptance of the evil they have done.

And Yasu is regrettably not afforded any narrative opportunity for redemption, so she's left in a sort of moral limbo where she clearly didn't want what happened to have happened after the fact but isn't given the chance to grow and change in light of those hardships. The author could have portrayed that as one of the tragedies of the whole event (then at least we could accept it as realism; not everyone gets a chance to redeem themselves, or to fulfill their dreams), but I'm not sure he specifically intended to do so.
Where do you get the sense that Ryukishi thinks that her actions were 'justified'? I really can't see that at all. They are 'understandable', that doesn't mean they were 'right'. It would be kind of ridiculous to claim that Ryukishi is trying to put across the message that suicide is the best answer to your self-image issues, or that it's a good idea to blow up an island. I assume that's not what you're saying, but I'm not sure what else you could mean by saying that he 'justifies' her actions as opposed to just 'explaining' them.

And it's impossible to demand her to change her behaviour, or to redeem herself, because she's, well, dead. I do think that the tragedy of that was conveyed, by the way Battler cried over her corpse in EP5 and lamented not being able to save her - but I think he wanted to focus more on what happens after her death. The crime has happened; we can't stop her, we can't save her, we can't do anything. But we can understand her and see what led her to despair, and that understanding is the closest thing to 'redemption' that we can give her - we can let her rest in peace, in the knowledge that someone did achieve the understanding she was looking so desperately for, even if it happened after her death. Which is what we see with "Beatrice's funeral" in EP7. I think that has more value than just emphasising the (quite obvious) message that what she did was bad and it would have been better if it hadn't happened - because that doesn't change the fact that it did, and understanding exactly why it happened is the only real way to satisfactorily put it to rest and move on.

Quote:
Regarding his interviews, if he doesn't want to be misunderstood on this matter maybe he shouldn't bring the same confusing and contradictory message up whenever it's asked. I can accept him getting his point across incorrectly on the spur of the moment, but he has made a number of statements on what appear to be independent occasions that are rather perplexing given the greater degree of maturity and perspective he's actually demonstrated in his work. But because I notice these inconsistencies does not mean I am "mischaracterizing" him, because there is the distinct possibility that he is actually somehow unconscious of the fact that his work is more progressive than he is.
Yes, saying that Yasu's suicide is presented as an "admirable thing" is definitely mischaracterising him. Neither he nor anyone who supports him has ever claimed that.

As for everything else you say, about Ryukishi not really putting forth a definitive message and not being completely sure of exactly what he wants to say, I pretty much agree with that. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, but I think we've more or less had that discussion before, so I'll refrain from going over old ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bluebeard View Post
That being said, he should really, really refrain from making any more clumsy statements about the two sexes. It really does leave a bad taste inside his works. From Higurashi to Rose Guns Days you expect to read phrases like 'my foolish manly pride' and 'as a man I can't afford to lose' that don't have a trace of realism. It is really annoying because all of those are so flat and out of place, his characters don't even seem to support that, Natsuhi for one, has more foolish pride than any male character in the cast.
Personally I have a feeling that those kinds of statements might just be translation issues? Japanese language seems to be pretty gender-divided, so things like "As a man, I can't afford to lose" might be common expressions there. At the very least I think I've heard similar things in other Japanese media, so I don't think it's necessarily Ryukishi trying to make a statement so much as just the language of the culture. Battler's stupid breast-grabbing antics also seem to be a cultural thing; that would be seriously frowned upon over in the West, but everyone in Umineko just seems to kind of laugh it off as normal male behaviour and Kumasawa even goes along with the joke by inviting him to rub her own breasts (and no one seems to find this creepy), so it seems like the Japanese are just really open about sexual expression and don't have the same kind of sensitivity to it that we do. Again, this is something that I've seen in a lot of Japanese media, not just Umineko.

But as I said before, I am pretty much completely ignorant about actual Japanese culture beyond what I see in anime and such, so I won't belabour that point too much! I just think we should be wary of our tendency to read our own cultural values on to foreign works.
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 18:53   Link #33996
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

I always quite liked the Yasu as Ikuko theory, but if there are extra hints suggesting it's true I'm not sure quite what I'd think.

Quote:
Thanks. Interesting! She really looks like Shannon, but some of the worried/gloomy expressions look an awful lot like Kanon. In the end the range of expressions looks like Beatrice...

They're really getting in depth into the gender issues, aren't they. Flat-chestedness and (presumably) periods or rather the lack thereof.

In the scene there where Yasu's feet are visible, it looks to me as if her left foot has a big scar on it.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 19:13   Link #33997
jjblue1

Quote:
I always quite liked the Yasu as Ikuko theory, but if there are extra hints suggesting it's true I'm not sure quite what I'd think.

Thanks. Interesting! She really looks like Shannon, but some of the worried/gloomy expressions look an awful lot like Kanon. In the end the range of expressions looks like Beatrice...

They're really getting in depth into the gender issues, aren't they. Flat-chestedness and (presumably) periods or rather the lack thereof.

In the scene there where Yasu's feet are visible, it looks to me as if her left foot has a big scar on it.
I thought so as well but I can't be sure if that's the case or it's just that the scan/print placed shadows were it shouldn't.
Old 2014-02-27, 19:32   Link #33998
goldendust

It has been a while since I last posted here. It seems that the Uminkeo fandom is active as ever.

So I guess the manga also confirms that the Beatrice disguise involved a blonde wig. Given the depiction of Yasu as blond with Lion, people would assume the blond hair was the natural and Shannon/Kanon was the wig.

Also in regards to the Ryukishi interview, I do think it is a little weird about making such large generalization about each gender because many people did not understand the motive for the mass murderer(s). I think the problem more was the lack of depiction of Yasu's mindset during the two years before the incident. I get that he wanted to avoid revealing too much but the downside is that many people are going to misunderstand/get the wrong impression. At least he admits it but I believe it is the bigger issue than how men or women perceive "love".
goldendust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 19:51   Link #33999
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendust View Post
It has been a while since I last posted here. It seems that the Uminkeo fandom is active as ever.

So I guess the manga also confirms that the Beatrice disguise involved a blonde wig. Given the depiction of Yasu as blond with Lion, people would assume the blond hair was the natural and Shannon/Kanon was the wig.
Yup. Unless Shannon dryed her hair black so they had to hand her a wig when she went to meet Kinzo... LOL... which would be unnecessarily complicate (as well as unlikely since the chances for Shannon to have blond hair are pretty low).

Not that it really help how Kanon seems to have a different hair colour... or how the manga portrayed little Yasu with long blonde hair...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendust View Post
Also in regards to the Ryukishi interview, I do think it is a little weird about making such large generalization about each gender because many people did not understand the motive for the mass murderer(s). I think the problem more was the lack of depiction of Yasu's mindset during the two years before the incident. I get that he wanted to avoid revealing too much but the downside is that many people are going to misunderstand/get the wrong impression. At least he admits it but I believe it is the bigger issue than how men or women perceive "love".
I fear he thought to have depicted Yasu's mindset through the VN, using the various dialogues of Shannon, Kanon and Beatrice.
However there are two problems for this:
A) the VN is a massive work in which those references (as well as many others) often get lost if you don't know the solution already. This have as a result that once you get at the end of Umineko, as you likely have lost many of them, you end up not understanding how Yasu's mindset was and being so unsatisfied you might not want to re-read such a massive work.
B) Yasu's mindset, or better her heart, was probably one of the most important points if not the most important of Umineko as a whole and one that should have been underlined the most so as to lead to a good understanding of it. The fact is obscured and presented in such a hidden way ends up hiding it, sort of like how Battler claimed that if Beato wanted to write a 'love you' letter she should have made it simpler. Despite having Battler say so Ryukishi insisted in his roundabout way in Ep 6, 7 & 8 which didn't really help and that's probably the reason why people is enjoying EP 8 manga version more as it's way more direct in answering to what we wanted/needed to know.
Old 2014-02-27, 19:57   Link #34000
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Lion's very existence is clearly a fantasy. Everything is perfect, he's beautiful and intelligent, etc. Lion is not necessarily "how Yasu would look if accepted by the family" but "how Yasu wishes he/she would look if accepted by the family (in the specific manner Yasu has imagined he/she would be)." His appearance is almost certainly born out of seeing the portrait, connecting it with Yasu's belief in her personal history, and extrapolating to the ideal. It never should've really been taken as a hint of much (except, perhaps, that Yasu was born male).