AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-04-29, 12:40   Link #301
Susanou
.Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Hey, don't complain about what you get for free - people are subbing during their spare time after all. Just because some shows get faster releases doesn't mean it is something to cry about
I don't cry, I have patience Meh, I'll keep that in mind xP
Susanou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 12:45   Link #302
Wosho128
I like tinkering on stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
I wonder. There are certainly a lot of bad feelings between the two of them but I''m not sure its just hate.
Spoiler for Kazuma and his Father:
That's true. However, it felt like Kazuma called the ambulance out of pure obligation. =P But I'm sure there's something deeper in the relationship that the viewers don't understand yet. If I continue watching, it'll be for the sake of watching how the relationship turns out.

And I don't think Kazuma is the type of person to leave the wounded to die even if the individual is from a family he hates.
Wosho128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 13:29   Link #303
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I finally got around to watching the first episode and I have to say that GONZO is the best company in making the most out of Idol-Poppish songs. Somehow the opening didn't bother me yet by all rights I should have hated it. The ending is good too.

I like the complicated tribal politics of this series, and for once the male character has the upper hand on the female character in the series (Femdom days are over, it's time for a male hero to take to the stage again, if only briefly. Remember Male Hero's.... I Do )

Anyway I noticed a bit of the late Kaneto Shiozawa in Kazuma's voice and I think his voice actor did a fine job in bringing the character too life. Kazuma is an interesting blend of outward cockiness and inward self-doubt (Which we see in his dream sequence where he is still haunted by his defeat at Ayano's hands). On that matter, I was hoping for a little more of the infamous 12 year old beats 18 year old scene, but all she does is raise her hand with an expressionless look on her face, and set him on fire. He was powerless. (I bet Deathkillz liked the quiet loli Ayano scene ). Anyway there's more to even this regarding his backstory than we have seen yet, which makes the series all the more intriguing.

On Ayano, she doesn't bother me. She seems to treat her friends as equals despite the fact that they are like the Relena Darlian groupies from the early episodes of Gundam Wing, and she also doesn't seem to realize the stigma she has left on Kazuma by mercilessly crushing him in their duel. (I wonder if that's what the title is referring too) Her fighting style in the beginning seems to show that she is kind of clumsy, so she isn't the perfect fighter that the tribe seems to think she is.

Then there are the two heads of the family. Ayano's father seems to be a fairly reasonable "Wait and See Fellow", but Kazuma's own father is a huge jerk. This could turn into something interesting if they play it right with Kazuma's own father being less sympathetic than his rivals father.

@lightbringer: Actually I think Kaguya is supposed to be 12 (The age you designate your character when you want them to be a loli. Seriously.)

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-29 at 20:45.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 13:34   Link #304
lightbringer
M9000

Hehe. But that would mean Kaguya was only 5 during the shrine sequence. It's kind of hard to judge between a 5 year old and a 10 year old in anime, so I suppose it's not completely impossible. However, her character is not that of a 12 year old. And nobody marries at 12 anymore
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 17:57   Link #305
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
There you go. That's actually probably what would have happened. Loli's are immune to critcism. Barring that, giving your characters a loli design like those in Kanon for example, will whitewash over any annoyances or character shortcomings they may have. It's tough being a female anime character who's older than 12 these days.

If you need any proof, look at a fairly similar character to Ayano in Shana. Shana is beloved by anime fan's, but not so much Ayano. Why? Well just look at her.
One comes out as cute when angry the other as an annoying ass. Take a guess which is which.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 18:00   Link #306
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
One comes out as cute when angry the other as an annoying ass. Take a guess which is which.
Of course Ayano is cute when angry :P Probably not the answer you wanted, but just look at the scene in the cafe in episode 2, and the way she ate the cake
Old 2007-04-29, 18:02   Link #307
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Well, Ayano seems to be a bit full of herself, which makes her not so likable. But she is the 3rd strongest Fire user, right? Given her upbringing, i am not surprised she might seem a bit arrogant. (Though she doesn't act as special in any way when together with her friends...hm...)

She is not that bad in all honesty >.<
Old 2007-04-29, 18:10   Link #308
ZODDGUTS

Yeah her character was meant to be that way for character development but did she have to be that bad? Makes her not likeable at all. If only her cockyness was tone down a bit and wasn't too much of a loudmouth maybe she wouldn't so annoying.
Old 2007-04-29, 18:11   Link #309
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Yeah her character was meant to be that way for character development but did she have to be that bad? Makes her not likeable at all. If only her cockyness was tone down a bit and wasn't too much of a loudmouth maybe she wouldn't so annoying.
My thoughts exactly
Old 2007-04-29, 18:26   Link #310
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Why all the dislike ? In all honesty, she has a reason to be cocky. Kazuma is cocky as well, so why is every one praising him? Simple - just because he happened to be stronger than Ayano. Aren't we forgetting that Ayano is the 3rd strongest fire user? It is not like she is some random grunt being cocky >.<
Old 2007-04-29, 18:46   Link #311
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Why all the dislike ? In all honesty, she has a reason to be cocky. Kazuma is cocky as well, so why is every one praising him? Simple - just because he happened to be stronger than Ayano. Aren't we forgetting that Ayano is the 3rd strongest fire user? It is not like she is some random grunt being cocky >.<
Quoted for truth. I just can't really understand all the Ayano hate given the points there. It would be different if she was cocky despite being completely weak...
Old 2007-04-29, 19:30   Link #312
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Quoted for truth. I just can't really understand all the Ayano hate given the points there. It would be different if she was cocky despite being completely weak...
Because she's also a loudmouth who's always screaming.

Kazumi is far more silent with his cockiness. I don't have to listen to him mouth off like I hear her do.
Old 2007-04-29, 19:31   Link #313
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Kazuma unlike Ayano is calm and isn't really a loud mouth. He only talks smack when his in a fight that's why his awesome and not a loudmouth/cocky ass. Kazuma isn't a male version of Ayano that's Naruto...

Quote:

Kazumi is far more silent with his cockiness. I don't have to listen to him mouth off like I hear her do.
Exactly that's why I like him.
Old 2007-04-29, 20:35   Link #314
Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
On Ayano, she doesn't bother me. She seems to treat her friends as equals despite the fact that they are like the Relena Darlian groupies from the early episodes of Gundam Wing,
Spoiler for novels:
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 21:04   Link #315
andromeda0201

LOL at the spoiler!! Now thats exactly why I like Kazuma, the sarcastic things he says yet still being able to put them so smoothly, hes the perfect antidote for Ayano
andromeda0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 23:16   Link #316
usagijen

Kazuma is indeed the perfect antidote for Ayano... =P

and we could already see that based on what happened in the later volumes of the novels (-> points to the spoiler piccies XD)... Ayano growing up little by little because of Kazuma's sarcastic comments and [brutally] harsh yet honest comments

But well, despite Kazuma being a 'badass' , sarcastic and all... he still has this soft and gentle side of him, which is what drove him to do the things he did in the past episodes... like what he did for his father (bringing him to the hospital) which was partly out of obligation, and partly because of the kindness left in his heart for his father... then the fact that he's 'weak' against his brother, who he loves from the bottom of his heart

and with regards to the relationship between Kazuma and his father, I'd say it's a "love disguised as 'hate'", since his father doesn't hate him at all... I think people who have watched the subs should know about this already, that the reason why his father drove him out was not simply the fact that he's a failure as a Kannagi,, but rather for Kazuma to find his own way of living apart from being a 'Kannagi'... I'm not sure if Kazuma knows that this is his father's reason of disowning him (since he did it in a harsh manner >.>), but I know that the feelings Kazuma has for his father isn't really pure hatred... I believe he loves his father, he was just hurt by what he did to him before... something like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
he sure is from what i can see imo what kazuma was hopin to achieve from defeating his father wasnt to take revenge but rather trying to gain acknowledgement from a man who he looks up to (ofc he wouldnt say that but guys are naturally stubbon :3)
and yes, I certainly agree with Deathkillz... he actually looks up to his father (but of course he tries hard to hide that fact... men and their stubborn pride )
usagijen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 02:47   Link #317
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagijen View Post
and with regards to the relationship between Kazuma and his father, I'd say it's a "love disguised as 'hate'", since his father doesn't hate him at all... I think people who have watched the subs should know about this already, that the reason why his father drove him out was not simply the fact that he's a failure as a Kannagi,, but rather for Kazuma to find his own way of living apart from being a 'Kannagi'... I'm not sure if Kazuma knows that this is his father's reason of disowning him (since he did it in a harsh manner >.>), but I know that the feelings Kazuma has for his father isn't really pure hatred... I believe he loves his father, he was just hurt by what he did to him before... something like that
Agreed.

It might even be said that because of what his father had done to him in the end, Kazuma is where he is now-As a strong wind-user. His father certainly failed to develop him as a Kannagi, but he certainly did not fail at helping him develop into a man.
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 03:34   Link #318
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Only when it comes to Kazuma, because she thought he was a bad guy who killed members of her clan. You don't see her acting high and mighty towards her friends, or Ren, or towards others. In fact, she's not even "cocky" in the true sense of the word. It merely looks like everybody's trying to mod their definition of "cocky" just so they can get mad at her.
Old 2007-04-30, 04:34   Link #319
Honey_and_Cleaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owaranai Destiny View Post
Agreed.

It might even be said that because of what his father had done to him in the end, Kazuma is where he is now-As a strong wind-user. His father certainly failed to develop him as a Kannagi, but he certainly did not fail at helping him develop into a man.
Suprisingly he did this all by himself. Not really with some girl&love support like most other animes. Kazuma kicks ass because of this.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 06:20   Link #320
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Spoiler for novel vol. 1:
ROFL. That's really golden. Poor Ayano. But it's surprising that Kazuma would think that way, knowing Ayano's personality. I wonder if he's just saying it to provoke her

Tags
fantasy, shounen