AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 98 66.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 35 23.81%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 7.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 0.68%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.68%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.68%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-22, 07:44   Link #21
New/Old
Old to the New

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Not just limited to episode 12, but looking back at Kanon 2k6 as a whole, a subtle story telling method one can see in Kyoani's version which really shows why Kyoani is on top of the game that some of us here have being preaching all along:

Spoiler:

This is the kind of interweaving which the experienced Kanon fans are talking about, this kind of attention to small details in storytelling is why we sing the praise for Kyoani, and this is what makes Kyoani's handling of Kanon so wonderful and leaps and bounds beyond the Toei version.
Heh heh. I can agree with that very much. Have yet to see it yet due to problems with my computer, but I'll try to go for a sub for my first viewing this time around. It should be an excellent one. Heh heh.
Old 2006-12-22, 08:02   Link #22
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Am I the only one here who noticed the Hikaru no Go cameo?

YUN-SENSEI !!!!!!!!!!

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2006-12-22, 08:22   Link #23
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Not just limited to episode 12, but looking back at Kanon 2k6 as a whole, a subtle story telling method one can see in Kyoani's version which really shows why Kyoani is on top of the game that some of us here have being preaching all along:

Spoiler:

This is the kind of interweaving which the experienced Kanon fans are talking about, this kind of attention to small details in storytelling is why we sing the praise for Kyoani, and this is what makes Kyoani's handling of Kanon so wonderful and leaps and bounds beyond the Toei version.

Eh heh heh heh. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that soon, DanielSong39 (whom I shall refer to from here on as "He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named", or "You-Know-Who", or simply "HIM") will come up with more of his meaningless drivel. It's an undeniable fact of life. Oh well.
Old 2006-12-22, 09:12   Link #24
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
holy sh*t
the end part of this ep gave me goosebumps
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-12-22, 09:34   Link #25
Skane
Anime Snark

Thumbs up

As an utter fan of the Mai arc of Kanon, I weep manly tears over this episode for its' absolute beauty. I'm soooo happy. *cries* I look forward to the future development of Mai's storyline.

Cheers.
Old 2006-12-22, 09:35   Link #26
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Mmm...Haven't had the luck to watch the episode yet, but as soon as EclipsexSS's fansubbed episode comes out...

Spoiler:

Can't make any more concrete comments till I watch the episode...
Old 2006-12-22, 09:40   Link #27
Mentar
Banned

We've been out for a few hours now

If you're feeling impatient, I recommend to check Tokyotosho regularly.
Old 2006-12-22, 10:02   Link #28
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
As an utter fan of the Mai arc of Kanon, I weep manly tears over this episode for its' absolute beauty. I'm soooo happy. *cries* I look forward to the future development of Mai's storyline.

Cheers.
can't agree more with this !

that was a perfect episode (animation/sakuga quality, pace, contents, revelations etc such overload of goodness <3 )
thumbs up for :
  • chibi scenes were damn moe... (poor nayuki... trying her best to not being robbed completely by a ferocious begging yuuichi XD)
  • ayu VS nayuki development (poor ayu...yuuichi is really persistent with his shortness bashing towards ayu )
  • Mai prior the ball (she is damn cute with her innocent face and voice, while saying honey bear and chubby racoon <3 )
a question to the kanon veterans : was mai THAT obsessed with food in the game /2k2 version?
(i thought she was going to dance with her fork and sausage )
  • shiori, despite having the least appearance time again, was terribly adorable (such amount of medecine... heck, she is probably carrying medecine set 24h/24 XD)
  • ball : masterpiece so far (like omni wrote in his blog, yuuichi is such a young james bond. he is too perfect, damn ). i noticed that the people in the ball were really different and had a lot of different dress (which is really a nice detail)
  • sayuri : with the ball alone, she deserve an arc for herself, seriously (she was already an awsome girls, with this episode, her secondary role doesn't give her good justice X_X )
  • Mai, Ball version :
  • dance : can't agree more with yuuichi : litteraly a lady (her responce to the jokes and her blushing scenes made my day !)
  • battle : movments, expressions... everything was there.
one word for this episode : flawless (maybe too short? )
hu no... this is not enough >.> :
-impressive characters development
-effective humour (monkey dance... LMAO, yuuichi is such an insane guy... and mai even responded to it... so she is obsessed with food AND animals XD)
-plot revelations
-... (too much things to list ~~)

best episode so far

preview : another utterly catchy preview... good grief they will air the episode 13 next week, and not in january m(_ _)m

Last edited by Klashikari; 2006-12-22 at 10:16.
Old 2006-12-22, 10:40   Link #29
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

It's still up in the air on whether they will include Sayuri's full background story in this series, or maybe make it into an OVA. They did however, throw hints on Sayuri's background in this episode, and in the previous one( amongst several other subtle ones throughout the series so far).

To those who are speculating, pay close attention to when Sayuri talks to Yuuichi as they walk to school, and when Yuuichi talks to Mai about Sayuri in the previous episode. Happy speculating.

Cheers.

ADD] Now that we have reached this point, some 4Komas from the Kanon Manga.

Cheers.
Old 2006-12-22, 11:57   Link #30
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
ADD] Now that we have reached this point, some 4Komas from the Kanon Manga.

Cheers.
haha! that proved something

1) shiori likes to sniff power ~

2) kaori is really a robot

3) mai is the mysterious murderer that was on the news XD

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-12-22, 12:29   Link #31
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Where to begin... This episode WINS teh internet.
Spoiler for 12!:

Gets a 10 without a doubt.
Old 2006-12-22, 12:31   Link #32
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Sleep-mode Nayuki is uber moe

Ok, the rest was good, too Yuuichi, the LOL generator
Old 2006-12-22, 12:37   Link #33
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Ep 12
Damn that was short! I couldn't believe it ended. Anyways... That was an excellent episode.
Ballroom (dance + fight) = <3
Yuuichi in tux dancing = <3 <3

LOL generator*: Then only 3000 yen.
Cute Nayu: You increased it.
LOL generator : Then all the money you have.

* : npal courtsey. <3

Hahaha! Those dream scenes were SUPA KYUT. And rich of hints so now I go to Speculation thread and babble. Does anyone know the name of that sweet tune playing when Yuuichi gave Ayu the doll? (*waits for Shiroth* )
Old 2006-12-22, 13:22   Link #34
apr
Pedestrian

Spoiler:
Old 2006-12-22, 13:37   Link #35
Julius Firefocht

A very, very beautiful episode. This is KyoAni's animation power; the dance and battle scenes are done better than anything out there this season. It's just plain beautiful. And Mai's naturally flowing hair and dress, plus her gorgeous outfit...like Yuuichi, I almost could not recognize her at first glance.

My only gripe is not enough Mai coverage, because she is just that intriguing. Otherwise, KyoAni continues to show why they are way ahead of their competition in Japan!
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Old 2006-12-22, 14:19   Link #36
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I was ready to give this ep a 10 after five minutes. The voice of Horie Yui as present-day Ayu and her animation around the three-minute mark -- coming down stairs, on the balcony looking at the stars -- were so effing alive. Just sharper than anything I've seen this year. I think it may have something to do with timing, both in voice and especially in the animation. Maybe a beat ahead. Vivid and urgent. I just watched the last episode of Otoboku, and you would be hard-pressed to identify Mizuho as the same voice, for sure.

And sleepy Nayuki was really something. To say nothing of Seki Tomokazu and his outfit, or the dance scene, which is an instant classic, or the monster and the battle, or the ending on Yuuichi's anger with the student council pres.

And I don't think we have to use spoilers in this thread at all, if we're talking about something from this episode. People who haven't seen the episode can choose not to look at the thread.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-12-22 at 14:35.
Old 2006-12-22, 14:24   Link #37
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My first 10 of the series I think.... a most excellent christmas present (thanks to the persistent and hardworking subbers).
Old 2006-12-22, 14:50   Link #38
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
To say nothing of Seki Tomokazu and his outfit, or the dance scene, which is an instant classic, or the monster and the battle, or the ending on Yuuichi's anger with the student council pres.
Monster? Are you sure it was just one? From the looks of how it was choreographed, it felt like there were several (plus the super bogus one that Mai finished in the end). Why would she be swinging her sword as she paced towards the center of the court? Whatever! I'm just being picky. >_>

I wouldn't necessarily call Kanon being subtle in their way of story telling. They're pretty much spitting everything out as we progress. This episode in particular dumped several important facts to us. Twice we go to Yuuichi's past - once more than we are use to seeing. Shiori's last name, which has consequences to another character. Ayu gets Yuuichi thinking about Nayuki. And of course, Mai's transitioning personality and her clandestine behaviors revealed to the public. I wouldn't call those small potatoes.

Are you referring to how the subplot of each girl is mixed into one another? Coming from houkoholic, I would imagine that this kind of interweaving was never attempted in the 2002 series or the game. It's usually simpler to just tell things one at a time - often it's called the lazy way out. To get characters interacting or influencing other characters is the art of storytelling and management. Well managed shows and movies, if they can get it done right, get it done beautifully. It's usually sink or swim.
Old 2006-12-22, 14:55   Link #39
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
I'll be brief: excellent. Nothing about this episode was bad.

I had some thoughts about the student council prez:

Spoiler:

What a cliffhanger though.
Old 2006-12-22, 15:06   Link #40
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Blushing Mai on a pinkish red gown is really cute no? Erm...Kitagawa and his Elvis-like outfit is really funny. Too bad he didn't get any partner.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Closed Thread