AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-02-02, 13:26   Link #61
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

(cold boot or the default "boot" from sleep?)

@Kholdstare: You should always keep your drivers updated anyway. Check your motherboard and video card websites once every few months at least for new drivers.

Been playing with Win 7 beta on a junker machine..... yeah, clearly more tasty than Vista (though in my head I'm saying its "Vista SP3").

If you have XP and it runs everything you need - I wouldn't bother upgrading. If you've got a Vista machine.... I'd probably seriously consider going to Win 7, perhaps a few months after the release.

I've decided to put off replacing my laptop til Win7 is being deployed on new laptops (unless I find one in the next couple of months that is "XP-able").
Old 2009-02-02, 14:06   Link #62
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
I used to be anti-Vista, but since I've got my new HP desktop - which came with by far not the best specs you can have nowadays - in summer last year, I really don't see the problem anymore. Sure, the businesses have their trouble, but why should that keep private users from using it?

Also, you can't base everything on RAM. I have 3GB memory and Vista runs smoothly. Yes, multitasking is possible and it is enjoyable. But then I have a dual core! Don't expect dual or even quad experience with a Pentium just cause you have ram in the GB range.

I'm planning to configure/build myself a new machine, though. I'll consider using 64-bit 7 on it. Thought to be in a few months' time, so by then it should be somewhat stable too.
niwasatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 14:45   Link #63
AnimeTheme
MJ - Forever King of Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
If you have XP and it runs everything you need - I wouldn't bother upgrading. If you've got a Vista machine.... I'd probably seriously consider going to Win 7, perhaps a few months after the release.
Shouldn't it be the opposite lol I mean, in my opinions, if you have Vista and you are happy with it, I wouldn't bother upgrading, or at least not ASAP (seriously I don't think Windows 7 will be a lot better than a fine-tuned Vista). If you have XP and your machine is not that old, I'd probably seriously consider going to Windows 7 ASAP.

Check out my Windows gadget gallery!

AnimeTheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 15:24   Link #64
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Sure cold boot .

I have a vista SP1 and i think its fine for me , didn't got major problems .
Vista's firewall is more better and protected than xp (xp's firewall is shit so change your firewall) Windows Defender too .
I just noticed if you click very fast while surfing in IE on such pages at such pages , IE bug and refresh the page but it's all , its not very important . In one month , i encounter it 8-12 times .
Since they made SP1 , its good .
After , i think its too early for a new windows (windows 7) , Vista didn't enter fully in the market yet (well in my country they sold vista now with the pc but most of the firms get always their xp until xp die lol , xp is still good )
But if Windows 7 will be out in 2011+ , i think its fine . (maybe)
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 16:23   Link #65
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Windows Defender too .
I seriously doubt that they have different development branches for Defender. It'd be a waste of resources, since it's much easier to have one branch and with this you kill many flies at once. Sure, probably some minor changes are needed, but I doubt the core would be different. Thus I think your statement is not really valid.

Quote:
After , i think its too early for a new windows (windows 7) , Vista didn't enter fully in the market yet (well in my country they sold vista now with the pc but most of the firms get always their xp until xp die lol , xp is still good )
Err what? I've not seen a single laptop preloaded with XP rather than Vista ('cept netbooks, refurbished/old lappys) and everyone who I know... even technically sane people (sadly enough?) run Vista. The only one who I know that runs XP is my friend, and that's only because I installed it instead of Vista. And sure firms stick to XP. Given the price tag of Vista and it's not really business/education related features (that XP is missing) I don't see why anyone would switch, until the official support for XP will cease.

Quote:
RC has been released recently (or will be soon? I just remember a news headline), so I think they're pushing for an early release... Shows how much they screwed up with Vista?
Old 2009-02-02, 17:09   Link #66
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
RC has been released recently (or will be soon? I just remember a news headline), so I think they're pushing for an early release... Shows how much they screwed up with Vista?
The RC should be available in April and Windows 7 should be officially released before the end of the year, but for now it's only a rumor.

Some times ago Asus has make an announce that their new netbook, to be released this summer, will be using Windows 7.
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 19:22   Link #67
martino
makes no files now

Oh, my mistake then. I guess I read beta and messed it up...

Wait... I'm a bit confused. Don't you mean Vista; about the netbook?
Old 2009-02-02, 21:44   Link #68
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
I don't think so, XP is just this good, 95 only had two years before 98 showed up as a beta. And ME had little time because it was such a failure. We should be getting a Beta 2( Hopefully will fix those horrendous XDDM Errors[Luckily MPC has workarounds with video playback]) up in april, then RC will probably be on august.
Old 2009-02-05, 16:33   Link #69
demoran23

I've been using Windows 7 since the public beta. x64.

I encountered numerous issues, but here are the salient points:

* My overclocked D805 was causing "issues". Setting it back to stock fixed numerous problems I was having.
* My Edimax 802.11g PCI card (which uses the RT61 chipset, I believe) doesn't play well with Vista/7 x64 if you have more than 2G RAM. I have 4, and whenever I opened up uTorrent (or any torrent program) it would freezecrash my machine. I also encountered problems transferring files from one comp on my network to the other.
* CCCP softsubs didn't work. (here's the fix)

Aside from those, once I had the appropriate x64 Vista drivers installed, I was fine.

Observations:

* WMP12 is awesome. Great video quality. This alone should make you switch to 7, just to try it out.
* The new taskbar is great.
* The filesystem has library functionality. You can set directories to be included in the "Video" library, and you have a consolidated collection.

I recommend it. I like it.
I'm not sure if I'm going to end up paying for it come August. I may just install Linux Mint and run with that. I have XP on my netbook and can use Audible.com and Netflix Silverlight from there. CoreAVC made a world of difference there.
demoran23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 22:40   Link #70
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
Don't you mean Vista; about the netbook?
Most netbooks don't have the horsepower to run Vista. That, and price, were the major reasons early netbooks came with Linux installed. Once Microsoft saw that machines were being sold without Windows, they suddenly agreed to permit netbooks to ship with XP. Estimates are that the licensing fees were cut to bone as well; something like $10-20 per CPU rather than $100. Wouldn't want people to get the idea that computers can work without Windows, after all.

If W7 will run well on an Atom with 1 GB of memory (pretty much the netbook standard), that's quite a feat of re-engineering by Microsoft.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 04:08   Link #71
problemedchild
ô_ô

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoran23 View Post
I've been using Windows 7 since the public beta. x64.

I encountered numerous issues, but here are the salient points:

* My overclocked D805 was causing "issues". Setting it back to stock fixed numerous problems I was having.

I'm not sure if an OC issue can be attributed to an OS though. It's likely you might of had an unstable OC to start with.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 04:58   Link #72
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
If W7 will run well on an Atom with 1 GB of memory (pretty much the netbook standard), that's quite a feat of re-engineering by Microsoft.
Here's an interesting article....
Old 2009-02-06, 12:35   Link #73
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightlumina View Post
Here's an interesting article....

Well... it's a mite higher than the old Pentium III 550/128MB I used to work with 8 years ago, but that's surprising.

If Microsoft could keep it that way and improving it as they go (same applies for the thousands of hardware systems and their drivers), and (I hope they're) knowing that there's still a lot of people using UMPCs and older systems with XP, I might soon purchase a new system and bypass Vista altogether for 7.

Addendum: The source of this rumor is epic fail (must be some troll) LOL:
http://i.gizmodo.com/5148072/windows...rts-at-200-ehh

Until then, I'll keep using XPSP3, with a copy of Vista32 SP1 for evaluation purposes, and Vista64 SP1 to be purchased later.

Better keep watch:
http://gizmodo.com/tag/windows-7/
Old 2009-02-06, 13:52   Link #74
Shadow_maste
*Graphic Designer

My Windows Vista's experience index is 2,2 what is really bad (with 2GB memory, I don't understand). I don't think, it's will be much better with Windows 7. So, i don't want to change, unless if it's really much better as the others.
Shadow_maste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 14:09   Link #75
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Most people will find Windows 7 via the purchase of a new machine. There's no particular reason to update an older machine unless:
1) there's a specific application that requires it (and your h/w is good enough).
2) you assemble your own PCs like I do and don't mind tearing things apart and upgrading pieces periodically.

I'd be fairly leery of trying to get Win7 to run on a pre-Vista laptop for example. Trying might be an interesting experience if you just like to tinker - but get an OEM copy of Win7 when it comes out to do that (cheaper).

Actually, I buy OEM copies no matter what.... (and then have random fights with Microsoft as I upgrade the computers I take care of -- "yes, I've changed parts of my computer 5 times and you will give me a new product key because I'm still using just one computer... ok, then I have an Ubuntu disk right.... oh, thanks for the key!")
So far that's happened only once --- usually they just ask me what's going on and give me a key.
Old 2009-02-06, 21:20   Link #76
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
I believe that microsoft is offering free download for windows 7 beta for the next two weeks. I have heard a lot about windows 7 being a lot better than vista. Have you tried windows 7? Would you switch now? What do you think of windows 7 vs vista?
Already have switched. It's my main OS for my gaming partition on my MacBook Pro. Runs faster than Vista Ultimate did. Because it runs faster, my games run better. Because my games run better, I'm not yelling at my computer as much. Because I'm not yelling at my computer as much, I'm a happy person.

Now if only my other two computers weren't too old for it to run on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Actually, I buy OEM copies no matter what.... (and then have random fights with Microsoft as I upgrade the computers I take care of -- "yes, I've changed parts of my computer 5 times and you will give me a new product key because I'm still using just one computer... ok, then I have an Ubuntu disk right.... oh, thanks for the key!")
So far that's happened only once --- usually they just ask me what's going on and give me a key.
That's definitely one part of Windows I don't like. Especially if you use the CD that came with your computer and go over the 15 installs on it because your computer kept screwing itself over.
Old 2009-02-07, 05:01   Link #77
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
My Windows Vista's experience index is 2,2 what is really bad (with 2GB memory, I don't understand). I don't think, it's will be much better with Windows 7. So, i don't want to change, unless if it's really much better as the others.
It'll rate lower because 7 uses a different scale.
Old 2009-02-07, 05:53   Link #78
problemedchild
ô_ô

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_maste View Post
The score reflects upon the weakest part of your system. So if I build an I7 system OCed to 4 GHZ, 12 GBs of RAM, 5 Raptors in Raid 0 and have a TNT2 PCI card... I'm going to have a really shitty experience score. That was how it's calculated in Vista at least....

So don't get so hung up about it. =P

Last edited by problemedchild; 2009-02-07 at 07:06.
Old 2009-02-07, 07:30   Link #79
Shadow_maste
*Graphic Designer

Now, I installed my copy of the Windows 7 Beta. I have received it with the PC World. It's OK, I think. Only one thing what I really hate is, my Opera can't download the Flash Player. But, it's fast, nice, and stable.

Last edited by Shadow_maste; 2009-02-07 at 11:07.
Shadow_maste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-10, 00:57   Link #80
problemedchild
ô_ô

It's rather comical to watch all the news websites "report" that Microsoft is releasing 6 versions Windows 7 to confuse masses. Too bad none of them bother to mention the fact that Starter, Basic Home and Enterprise editions aren't available to the masses. Hell, I'm surprised those websites didn't bother branding 32 Bit and 64 Bit as completely different releases to obtain even more shock value.