AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-11-02, 22:54   Link #1181
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Dimensional submarines...Comet Empire warships, multiple corrections or explainations for various animation errors in the orignal. Lot of women. Very detailed starships and battles.

When was the last time anyone made a remake of anything on this level? That the fans didn't say it sucked I mean.
Old 2012-11-03, 05:18   Link #1182
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
That is very, very interesting.

Make on wonder a lot about what was going on out there on the borders of the Empires.

Spoiler for Yamato 2201?:

Spoiler:

Quote:
Dimensional submarines...Comet Empire warships, multiple corrections or explainations for various animation errors in the orignal. Lot of women. Very detailed starships and battles.

When was the last time anyone made a remake of anything on this level? That the fans didn't say it sucked I mean.
This has been aclaimed as the ultimate remake by many fans and every new episode, any new picture, any piece of art or news, just makes me believe that more and more. After 2199, if anyone makes a remake of anything, they better takes notes of what's been done here for the bar has been risen and pretty high.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 11:51   Link #1183
GundamFan0083

Actually I think the White Comet ship may be an adaptation of the "Shapearon" class battleship created by Zenseava. I imagine some of the artists for Yamato 2199 have seen his work considering that he was one of the members of Yamato Mechanics.
Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but it sure looks similar.

Here is zenseava's blog post about it:
http://lighthousezen.seesaa.net/article/113141765.html
Old 2012-11-03, 14:23   Link #1184
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There was a drawing from Yamato II for a gun version of the Anti-matter missile cruiser. The Star Blazers game gave it the name Avenger.

I can see the Yamato 2199 version being a toned down version of this. Shapped more like the orignal missile cruiser and using more traditional gun turrets rather than the long barreled weapons or the more Gamilas style turrets seen here.
Old 2012-11-03, 14:46   Link #1185
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
I like this expansion of the Yamatoverse a great deal. It makes sense that Gamilas would be a balancing power against the White Comet Empire and other Empires of the galaxy and surrounding micro-galaxies/clouds.
Since the White Comet Empire was based in the Andromeda galaxy, the Gamilas must have encountered advance scouting fleets. I'm sure the flashback montage in Episode 11 will settle all of the fan speculation. Good stuff, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
I imagine some of the artists for Yamato 2199 have seen his work considering that he was one of the members of Yamato Mechanics.
Just to set the record straight, Junichiro Tamamori was the sole pen behind Yamato Mechanics. And Director Yutaka Izubuchi and his staff are well aware of Lighthouse and other groups, because they've all known each other through reputation or collaboration. This is also true of the 2199 manga artist, Michio Murakawa.

Quote:
multiple corrections or explainations for various animation errors in the orignal.
Which errors?

Last edited by August138; 2012-11-03 at 14:59.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 15:07   Link #1186
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Different designs for the same ship from one episode to the next (the carrier fleet changed design a few times in epsiode 21 and likely to episode 22 as well. The details of the battlecarrier in second season changed from the end of episode 10 to the beginning of episode 11). Fixes, or explainations of random background unit colors in the Yamato crew. Giving a viable background for the different colored Gamilas personel at the beginning of the show. In some cases redesigning scenes that originally had animation errors (cells in the wrong order) so that such an error is no only not made, but no even possible in the first place (no door for Shima to walk though on Sasha's escape pod, for example).

There will probably be other errors that people find over time. Aside from the Engrish that was spotted and dealt with prior to the release of Chapter II on BD. But, if they aren't as rushed as they were in 1974, the animators will likely not have as many flubs.
Old 2012-11-03, 15:42   Link #1187
August138

Thanks for being specific, and I agree on all points, except...

Quote:
Giving a viable background for the different colored Gamilas personel at the beginning of the show.
Just to set the record straight for all of the board members, the caucasian Gamilans were not a mistake; they were supposed to be caucasian before the cameras rolled — early merchandizing produced to herald the premiere of the series in 1974, prominently features caucasian Gamilans and Dessler. The change from caucasian to blue was not because of a mistake, but because of a command decision. It was decided, as the show was in the early episodes, to change the skin tone to blue, because the powers-that-be felt that children may have a difficult time telling the good guys and bad guys apart.

Quote:
Aside from the Engrish that was spotted and dealt with prior to the release of Chapter II on BD. But, if they aren't as rushed as they were in 1974, the animators will likely not have as many flubs.
Well, that's the job of the Continuity people on the show... Although I did spot a minor misspelling on a monitor in one of the episodes in the second volume (which I can't remember, precisely where, after watching it for the 100th time), we have to remember that English isn't a predominant language in Japan — and that American producers are far more sloppy when depicting Japanese language on-screen in our films. So, I think we can cut them some slack...

Last edited by August138; 2012-11-03 at 15:57.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 15:57   Link #1188
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They make a more believeable reason for the different colors now than switching the colors based on a command decision back then. Instead of Dessler being caucasian at the start, he's blue. That is a fix of sorts. Having the Pluto base personal as another race within the Gamilas Empire makes it so the handwave of the color change in the original episode 11 can be avoided.
Old 2012-11-03, 16:28   Link #1189
August138

Quote:
They make a more believeable reason for the different colors now than switching the colors based on a command decision back then. Instead of Dessler being caucasian at the start, he's blue. That is a fix of sorts. Having the Pluto base personal as another race within the Gamilas Empire makes it so the handwave of the color change in the original episode 11 can be avoided.
My contention was that you labeled this among "animation errors". It was not an error; it was an intentional change which created a visual conundrum. Just setting the record straight to curb the perpetuation of this myth. Cheers!
Old 2012-11-07, 03:47   Link #1190
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

First Yamato 2199 soundtrack album was released in its 40+ tracks glory.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=LACA-15248 (plus 45 second previews of most of the tracks)

Plus:

Another mecha update:

http://yamato2199.net/mecha/index.html

More Gamilas ships added:

Dommel's Flagship (with quad turrets!)
http://yamato2199.net/mecha/gamirasu_sn07.html

The already mentioned Dimensional Submarine
http://yamato2199.net/mecha/gamirasu_sn08.html

And the three Carriers that would be in the Rainbow Galaxy fight.
(each different in more ways than just their paint job)

The carriers don't seem to have the "Eyes" like other Gamilas ships. Unless they are onthe bottom and we can't see them from any of these angles.

Green:
http://yamato2199.net/mecha/gamirasu_sn09.html

Purple:
http://yamato2199.net/mecha/gamirasu_sn10.html

Blue:
http://yamato2199.net/mecha/gamirasu_sn11.html

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-11-07 at 04:02.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 00:57   Link #1191
macdawson

The two Gamilas fleet captains revealed in episode 11 get provisional character files (i,e. no information except their name and voice actor)

- Vemu Heidern (i've been using the semi-official translation for the 1974 character's name, Hidrun, but this seems better )

- Fomto Barger (here, the original seems better than Burger XD)

Old 2012-11-08, 13:40   Link #1192
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The other two commanders must be future material.

Vemu Heidern was the still unseen Battle Carrier commander (Drill Missile bomber).

Fomto Barger was in command of the purple carrier (dive bombers).
Old 2012-11-08, 22:27   Link #1193
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Holy crap, the Comet Empire? Are they really setting things up for Yamato II/Farewell Yamato?!

YAMAMOTOOOOOOO!!!
Old 2012-11-09, 04:30   Link #1194
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If nothing else, they are keeping the existing universe intact. The Comet Empire exists and all that. If they go there or not is entirely their choice.

I still want to see Space Battleship Andromeda and the new Earth Fleet.
Old 2012-11-09, 08:20   Link #1195
macdawson

I've seen people in several forums blowing this out of proportion, that they will compress the Gamilas and Comet Empire stories into one. There is no sign of that. The Comet Empire ships appearing in 2199 is justexpanding on what already existed in the original first season. We knew back then that Gamilas was involved in several other fronts, but those enemies were never given form or name. Gatlantis appeared in season 2 as the main anthagonist and it was hinted that they had previous involvement with Gamilas but they never went beyond that. All this does is deepen the Gamilas backstory and the Yamato universe. If we forget about the original, this would just be about Domel fighting an enemy of Gamilas wich in a future sequel would be revealed as the new enemy Gatlantis. For now, as far as Y2199 is concerned, that's all they are and it will probably remain that way until season 2, hopefully comes along. For now is just fan service (the cleaner kind XD ) and foundation laying.
Old 2012-11-09, 17:38   Link #1196
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hopefully we will get some news about episode 11 after the preview, as it will be awhile yet before it come to theaters (January) and even longer for BD (February).
Old 2012-11-09, 18:15   Link #1197
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
I've seen people in several forums blowing this out of proportion, that they will compress the Gamilas and Comet Empire stories into one. There is no sign of that. The Comet Empire ships appearing in 2199 is justexpanding on what already existed in the original first season. We knew back then that Gamilas was involved in several other fronts, but those enemies were never given form or name. Gatlantis appeared in season 2 as the main anthagonist and it was hinted that they had previous involvement with Gamilas but they never went beyond that. All this does is deepen the Gamilas backstory and the Yamato universe. If we forget about the original, this would just be about Domel fighting an enemy of Gamilas wich in a future sequel would be revealed as the new enemy Gatlantis. For now, as far as Y2199 is concerned, that's all they are and it will probably remain that way until season 2, hopefully comes along. For now is just fan service (the cleaner kind XD ) and foundation laying.
I'm not saying they're going to try and put the Comet empire into this Series. I'm saying it's foreboding for certain characters.
Old 2012-11-09, 19:13   Link #1198
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
I'm not saying they're going to try and put the Comet empire into this Series. I'm saying it's foreboding for certain characters.
I didn't mean your comment. But in several other forums it's been crazy.
Old 2012-11-12, 16:31   Link #1199
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Here we go. Something from pixiv:

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=31455350

Also some other things:

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=31365319
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=31374655
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=30980464
Old 2012-11-12, 22:14   Link #1200
GundamFan0083

Carriers look cool.
However, I really hope they drop the "flying-saucer" command ship of General Dommel and just stick with his really awesome looking battleship.

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato