AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-03-29, 10:38   Link #2181
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
lol, the majority of that war characters are new characters so you can take away the most of those 600 chapters away from the majority characters in the war (or if they appeared before it was for one panel or so), buddy. And you need one damn good story planning to pull the strings into one, and story planning is definitely not the strong point of this manga. Neither is the character development too.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 11:19   Link #2182
Last Carpet

I'm a little curious about the idea of Abnormality in general.

Takachiho had abnormal reflexes. His body basically moved on its own. He didn't have to think for his body to react.

Munakata was an embodiment of a person's limits. He pulled weapons out of nowhere. He basically had no limits on what he could do(killingwise)

Medaka....how can I put it... has an abnormal potential to succeed. She can do anything, Judo, math, calligraphy, controlling her muscles, moving at optimum speed, the door of rejection. Even when she "fails" she wins(Forcing Kumagawa to leave school, but not being able to change him for the better)

Which makes me think, we haven't actually met Kumagawa, but from what we've seen I think he may be Medaka's opposite. His abnormality is his potential to fail. He loses to everyone in everything. He's not good at anything, as opposed to Medaka who is good an everything. Which would explain their personalities. Medaka who shows love and compassion for everyone. And Kumagawa who honestly hates everyone and wants them to die.

Zenkichi's abnormality seems to be kicking in, what with the Door of Rejection not changing access codes in order to allow him in. And with him defeating an Abnormal of the highest level, "Last Carpet" Munakata

Unzen was skilled with those superballs. But they never explicitly said what his abnormality was. What do you think it is?

Last edited by Last Carpet; 2010-03-30 at 06:19.
Last Carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 12:09   Link #2183
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
lol, the majority of that war characters are new characters so you can take away the most of those 600 chapters away from the majority characters in the war (or if they appeared before it was for one panel or so), buddy. And you need one damn good story planning to pull the strings into one, and story planning is definitely not the strong point of this manga. Neither is the character development too.
And? As if it has to be the same for most of us to like it. It's funny how you are talking about story planning when OP was practically the same in the first 10 volumes, but of course, with the pace of time it turned better until becoming the most sold shonen of the story. But threads oriented to one series are not for talking about other ones, so please, stop.

Look, if everytime you post here is just to spit your hatred against the series, then no, thanks.

And sorry to tell you, but the character development so far has been really good, with many character backgrounds and such. Wether you like it or not, I don't care. And talking about story planning, that Kumagawa guy has been hinted with already two of Zen's inner thoughts, and the King has been foreshadowed as the final villian of this arc since before entering the underground lab.

^Back to the topic, Unzen's abnormality? I would like to know wich one is.

Though to tell you the truth, I'm more intrigued to know who the hell is that guy from Class 13 who looks almost like Zen physically.

Last edited by Homura7; 2010-03-29 at 12:56.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 16:16   Link #2184
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Unzen's abnormal ability is most likely his ability to calculate things or his mathematical ability. He can actually direct and know where his super balls are going and decipher and speak in his sister's weird language.

Quote:
I do realize that it was done before but the way Oda did it was one of the best if not the best. Makes all other authors look pathetic compared to that. But again that needs a long character development something that Nisio has troubles in this manga.
You brought up One Piece calling Nishio a copy cat. I called you out on this because OP is not the first shounen manga to throw a bunch of characters into the mix for a battle.

Also there have been many complaints about this arc among One Piece fans(No, I am actually not one of them) so it is clear how well Oda executed this arc and handled all of those characters is debateable. Also I disagree about the character development for this manga.

Quote:
Once again, disagree about the character development. Seeing the recent chapters and Medaka herself changing throughout the manga is a good thing. What I like is that this series develops its characters in a concise manner and doesn't need multi-chapter flashbacks that Naruto and even One Piece to a lesser extent is prone to. If people think Medaka hasn't learned anything at all or changed since the beginning they haven't been reading the series correctly.

Akune's character has been getting developed with this recent battle and it ties back to Medaka's past and her fated battle with Kumagawa. Kumagawa also got brought up in the Unzen battle btw. Unzen's character was developed in his battle with Medaka and how he explained the Flask Plan. There is Maguro who ended up being the originator of this current arc. Not to mention Medaka and Maguro's sister who ended up continuing that work. I can go on and on.

Story planning? Pfft, people complain about the story planning because they missed all of the hints along the way and at the beginning of the series. Medaka being Class 13 for instance dates back all the way to the beloved one shot people like putting up on a pedestal. It was also shown again before the next Class 13 member in Unzen showed up.

This shit makes me laugh.
Old 2010-03-29, 16:41   Link #2185
Homura7

^Don't lose your time trying to argue about it, buddy, just keep reading while you enjoy the series

Rereading a manga helps you a lot because you find some interesting details wich you probably didn't notice in your first read. Some examples:

http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/27/14/
The King telling Medaka and Zen that there's a fool among Class 13 who can walk on the ceilings. You already know who, even the scanlator commented about it.

http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/27/17/
In that same chapter, he tells there's 4 members who he calls his four horsemen and in that same chapter it's hinted how much he despises Zen, to the point he considers him a big obstacle in the setting-up of his kingdom.

http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/25/12/
Come to think of it, Zen felt the masked abnormal is a girl.

http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/22/15/
Kuj, er... Naze making us notice how she despises her sis.

http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/18/03/
Zen talking about what a baddie Akune was in the past. You already saw everything about his former self via inner memories in chapter 38.

And many more interesting details I found doing a second read, but I won't upload all of them, it's up to you.

Last edited by Homura7; 2010-03-29 at 18:08.
Old 2010-04-01, 16:10   Link #2186
Homura7

Raw is out:

Spoiler for Ch.45:

Last edited by Homura7; 2010-04-01 at 16:41.
Old 2010-04-01, 16:22   Link #2187
Jze0
Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by _kurusu_ View Post
Raw is out:

Spoiler for Ch.45:
Spoiler for ch 45:
Old 2010-04-02, 04:37   Link #2188
Last Carpet

Can someone help me with something?

I'm planning a fanfiction called "I'm Not Coming". It starts at Chapter 28 "We're Waiting for You" With The Door of Rejection.

Like the chapter goes, Medaka passes through the door while trying to clue Zenkichi in about the next code.(Why couldn't she have just come out and said "The next code is your birthday") Akune and Kikaijima show up, Kikaijima uses the code to get through. But afterward, Zenkichi decides to quit. Despite protests from Akune, Zenkichi decides to leave and let them handle it without him. Akune breaks the door, and gets through to join Medaka and Kikaijima. But when she sees that Zenkichi isn't with them, she ends the Student Councils "Destroy the Flask Plan" project until the entire Student Council is present.

She confronts Zenkichi, who tells her that he's quitting the Student Council. And he's quitting his friendship with Medaka(switching from Medaka-chan to Kurokami-san). That's basically what the story's about. Zenkichi trying to move on without her, and Medaka trying to adapt without her best friend to fall back on.(I have a theory that as strong as she is, without Zenkichi she'd gradually fall apart)

Needless to say, the destruction of the Flask Plan is put on hold. I'm thinking that maybe he takes up Nabeshima's offer of joining the Judo club, or even Unzen offers him a spot as a school enforcer. While Medaka comes to grips with the fact that her only real "friend" has left her.(To those of you who don't think Zenkichi would do it, that he only wants the best for her, you'll find that there's a hidden reason for his "abandoning" her)

I'm just staring to write it, I'm only in the planning stage. So could someone help me out with ideas or suggestions?

Last edited by Last Carpet; 2010-04-02 at 10:50.
Old 2010-04-02, 05:29   Link #2189
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Not sure I can help, but honestly, I think that idea sounds a heck of a lot more interesting than what's been happening.
Old 2010-04-02, 14:31   Link #2190
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

I have no idea what's going on, and there's way too much talking for me to even guess. Some translations would be really nice. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Carpet View Post
I'm just staring to write it, I'm only in the planning stage. So could someone help me out with ideas or suggestions?
Why is Zen deciding to quit ? And why at the start of a mission of all places? I could probably think of a lot of things though, once those two questions are out of the way.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 17:51   Link #2191
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Ha, Maguro's character just keeps getting more interesting. No wonder he showed such an abnormal amount of love towards Medaka. His motives for creating the Flask Plan make more sense too if it was to attract and draw out Kujira alone. Although it has evolved into much more than that now and a massive problem in general.

Kujira's character herself is interesting too. Nishio went into a direction I was not expecting with her. I really want to see how her conversation with Medaka has gone too. Seeing how she goes off of her dark path should be a sight to see.

Also, Medaka's hearing ability is completely insane. Being able to hear things from an entire floor away while other people are making noise on top of that. I shouldn't be surprised by this point of the story but I still am.
Old 2010-04-02, 19:12   Link #2192
Last Carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
I have no idea what's going on, and there's way too much talking for me to even guess. Some translations would be really nice. xD

Why is Zen deciding to quit ? And why at the start of a mission of all places? I could probably think of a lot of things though, once those two questions are out of the way.
One, he wants to get away from Medaka. Just think about it, the reason he's come this far is all because of her. Don't get me wrong, I'm not mocking or diminishing his strength. But it all comes from her. Because he's been dragged around and beaten up by her. Because wants to protect someone who doesn't actually need his protection. Because he doesn't want to slow her down. There's nothing wrong with wanting to help. But in my opinion, it wouldn't hurt if he was selfish for a bit. To want to better himself, for the sake of himself instead of Medaka. But he can't do that if he keeps following her around. So he quits the Student Council and his friendship with Medaka. Telling himself its all for the best, for her and for him.

And two, The Door of Rejection idea is just to egg Zenkichi on. The twins said "Those who can do it, do it on the first try""Those who can't, will never be able to" Just something to reinforce the thought he's kept in the back of his mind. That,as a Normal, he's not good enough to be at Medaka's side. Considering that she's an Abnormal of the highest level, he thinks he'd just drag her down. The trick with the door leads him to question his own motives. If he'll never be good enough, why has he been training himself? If he'll never be good enough, than what's it all been for? He's Normal, so why should he be chasing someone so far ahead of him if he'll never be good enough? So that's it, he decides to cut her loose and focus on himself for a while.

Last edited by Last Carpet; 2010-04-02 at 21:31.
Old 2010-04-03, 12:02   Link #2193
Sol Falling

Thanks for 41 and 42. That was awesome.

LOL, from "I think of every girl in the world as my little sister!" to "If I'm only going to be happy, I'm better off dead," Nishio sure comes up with a lot of great stuff. Naze is a pretty fascinatingly twisted character--I'm really looking forward to her interaction with Medaka as well. Maguro, on the other hand, with his pervert mode off, has somewhat 'levelled down'. I'm pretty satisfied with the resolution of Akune vs. Koga, though--at this point in the story, Medaka's entrance isn't 'stealing the spotlight' at all.

The idea of 'abnormalities' is really starting to come together in this story conceptually. We've gotten away from the somewhat generic 'power-level' type thinking with 'how weirdly can you make dice stack up when you throw them' as the basis, and have instead moved on to how individual clearly defined idiosyncracies are defining the characters' personalities, as well as their strengths. These 'what was their childhood/background like' flashbacks are all very solid and very fascinating, as a trace of how applying a unique 'absolute concept' to a personality leads them straight to their part in the story. What this means is that the narrative is not really about 'how Medaka's perfectness overpowers everybody'. What we're seeing is instead a sequence of interplays between 'one idea vs. another idea', where the physical/causal events we are watching are only the extensions of that abstraction. As a battle manga, Medaka Box does not measure 'strength' or 'training'--instead, the conflicts are set up in such a way that their primary function is to show a contrast of ideas.

lol seriously, if I think back, the first 11 chapters or so seem so meaningless by comparison. lol, what the hell was that 'slice of life' shit? :P This manga never really took off until its characters could be defined with the concept of 'abnormality'--it's only with the introduction of that paradigm that we can finally start to understand who these characters really are.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 16:46   Link #2194
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post

lol seriously, if I think back, the first 11 chapters or so seem so meaningless by comparison. lol, what the hell was that 'slice of life' shit? :P This manga never really took off until its characters could be defined with the concept of 'abnormality'--it's only with the introduction of that paradigm that we can finally start to understand who these characters really are.
Those chapters were merely the set up to the current plot line.

Take a look back, just like people said in the manga, Medaka was the only character in those chapters to ever show up as being in "Class 13". We saw more than one person from a few of the other classes though but never Class 13. Of course most people didn't think much of it then, but when the abnormality and flask plan really kicked off it showed just how big a deal that Unzen "waged war" on Medaka was and what his defeat actually meant to the status quo. The status quo being those first 11 chapters of course.

The next significant bit was really the idea of geniuses(Abnormals and Specials) and normal people being talked about and introduced. What most people just figured was crazy antics in "slice of life" format was actually explaining just how abnormal Medaka is compared to the people she is trying to help. Zenkichi's main job was being the narrator for this since Nishio never shows us what Medaka herself is thinking. The first meeting with Nabeshima and Akune touched a bit on geniuses vs. normal people. And of course Nabeshima herself saying the scholarship holders are all weirdos and eccentrics in chapter 11.(Every abnormal more than likely being a scholarship holder as well)

Those chapters had their relevance and were entertaining in my opinion. Although they in no way are as good as everything that has happened since Unzen showed up and helped to greatly develop Medaka's character and showing his own abnormal behavior. Also to kick off the current arc of course.
Old 2010-04-04, 09:52   Link #2195
Homura7

http://mangahelpers.com/t/shadowskill/releases/21306

Translation for ch.43 is out, and oh, shit! with the last pages. If that for you doesn't make things more interesting...
Old 2010-04-04, 10:12   Link #2196
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Oh wow, I would never have guessed the effects of the drugs. x_x

That's really cool. >_> I wonder if Zen'll get a hold of one and we find out it doesn't change anything because he's already . . . <_< That would be cool, too. xD
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 10:29   Link #2197
Homura7

Spoiler for Brand new Medaka:

Last edited by Homura7; 2010-04-04 at 12:22.
Old 2010-04-04, 11:32   Link #2198
Iron21

Damn, what a twist.

Who saw that coming.
Iron21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 12:50   Link #2199
wingman32x

Bottom 5 is out...

Yotsuya-senpai
Hokenshitsu
Psyren
Hunter x Hunter
Rilienthal

Good to see medaka out again. We'll see how it goes this time. Last time we thought it was doing pretty good, only to have it scrape the bottom again. It's improving, Albeit very small and incramently.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 14:23   Link #2200
Last Carpet

There's kind of a flaw with the whole "amnesia" idea. If Kujira used it on herself to forget her past and remake herself into Naze Youka, how did she remember her old name and acknowledge Maguro as her brother. Maybe it gradually wears off.

After the whole Flask Plan/13 Party arc is over with, I wonder where Nishio will take this manga. Going back to taking students suggestions seems like the first turn, but what next?

Examining the rest of Class 13, the return of Kumagawa Misogi, focusing on Zenkichi's awakening abnormality? With how awesome the Flask Plan arc is, I can't wait to see what else he comes up with.

(Provided he doesn't decide to end the manga at the of this arc)

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council