AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-03-29, 12:19   Link #1
animedudematt

Who Would You Cosplay As? Why (Give specific reasons)?

If u went to a cosplay or anime convention what anime character would u go as?

Cosplay = To dress up as an anime character.

I would go as Vash The stampede cause he is my all time favourite and i like long red leather Jackets, and Vash's overall fashion.

Plz give ur reasons for that piticular character.

Last edited by james0246; 2010-09-19 at 02:22.
animedudematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-29, 12:21   Link #2
rEkKaShInObI
LiFe Of ReVeNgE

Send a message via AIM to rEkKaShInObI Send a message via Yahoo to rEkKaShInObI
Shinobi from Shinobi because hes cool.

I allowed this thread because I thought it could be fun...
Please try to give more than a simple "because he / she is cool" in
your posts or it will turn into one of those nasty "what type" threads
and I'll have to close it ~NightWish
rEkKaShInObI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-29, 12:39   Link #3
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

I would be Sesshoumaru...for many reasons...

1. It'll be easy to play him...i already always keep a straight face
2. I feel no pity for noone i don't know
3. Cause i always wondered what i'd look like w/ long hair

although i'm not to crazy about the whole missing his arm thing...but for that i'll just cosplay him before that ever happenned ^_^
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-29, 12:56   Link #4
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

I'd do Gourry for obvious reasons.

boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-29, 13:39   Link #5
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Shikimori Kazuki from Maburaho
i already have the brown hair and dumb expression, and the clothes would be sooooo easy
plus i already just want to BE him
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-29, 15:03   Link #6
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
Gaara from Naruto because hes the only redheaded male anime character I can think of off the top of my head and hes evil!

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-29, 15:13   Link #7
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Question: How is cosplaying viewed outside of Japan?

Reason why I ask this question is because I do know that in the United States, you have a day called Halloween where you go out trick-or-treating for candy by wearing costumes. Now, is Halloween reserved for kids like "animations/cartoons are for kids," or do adults go along as well? If so, then I refer back to the original question, "are people outside of Japan more open to costume-wearing events?"

Comparison to Japan: over here, cosplay is actually disdained and frowned upon as "you are already grown up and you're still playing around wearing costumes!? Get a life!" Hence, most cosplayers keep their hobby as a secret from their regular social friends to risk painful looks and judgments, while maintaining cosplay-friends in the sharing of their same interests.

Another bad trend that evolved is that cosplaying has turned into something of an erotic nature here. You see brothels and parlors that advertise "girl cosplay fun! Starting from 30,000 yen!" Hence, you have more social discomfort in cosplaying. A nice Japanese proverb would be: "It's easier to point out the bads than investigating into the goods."
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-29, 15:20   Link #8
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980

Reason why I ask this question is because I do know that in the United States, you have a day called Halloween where you go out trick-or-treating for candy by wearing costumes. Now, is Halloween reserved for kids like "animations/cartoons are for kids," or do adults go along as well? If so, then I refer back to the original question, "are people outside of Japan more open to costume-wearing events?"
You're never too old to take SOME part in halloween. Young kids usually have a blast because they get lots and lots of free candy. Kids in their teens have a blast because they simultaneously pull pranks AND get free candy. Adults usually accompany children or hand out candy to children. That's pretty much how it works.

There are also a lot of people that hold "costume parties", but those a bit more rare. However, dressing up in costumes outside of Halloween is usually looked upon as being REALLY weird, especially anime cosplay because many people think all anime is hentai.

In short, people are open to costume-wearing events as long as its not some sort of convention. People attending conventions are seen as weirdos. People that attend conventions AND dress up are just avoided by the general public.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-29, 15:53   Link #9
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980

Comparison to Japan: over here, cosplay is actually disdained and frowned upon as "you are already grown up and you're still playing around wearing costumes!? Get a life!" Hence, most cosplayers keep their hobby as a secret from their regular social friends to risk painful looks and judgments, while maintaining cosplay-friends in the sharing of their same interests.

Another bad trend that evolved is that cosplaying has turned into something of an erotic nature here. You see brothels and parlors that advertise "girl cosplay fun! Starting from 30,000 yen!" Hence, you have more social discomfort in cosplaying. A nice Japanese proverb would be: "It's easier to point out the bads than investigating into the goods."
I don't think Halloween makes a good counter point for North American cosplay. This has to do, mainly, with the origins of Halloween. Unlike the holiday it has become, it is actually (historically anyway) a very dark and bloody celebration. I'll give you the abridged version of it's origin...
The word itself, "Halloween," actually has its origins in the Catholic Church. It comes from a contracted corruption of All Hallows Eve. November 1, "All Hollows Day" (or "All Saints Day"), is a Catholic day of observance in honor of saints. But, in the 5th century BC, in Celtic Ireland, summer officially ended on October 31. The holiday was called Samhain (sow-en), the Celtic New year.

One story says that, on that day, the disembodied spirits of all those who had died throughout the preceding year would come back in search of living bodies to possess for the next year. It was believed to be their only hope for the afterlife. The Celts believed all laws of space and time were suspended during this time, allowing the spirit world to intermingle with the living.

Naturally, the still-living did not want to be possessed. So on the night of October 31, villagers would extinguish the fires in their homes, to make them cold and undesirable. They would then dress up in all manner of ghoulish costumes and noisily paraded around the neighborhood, being as destructive as possible in order to frighten away spirits looking for bodies to possess.

Probably a better explanation of why the Celts extinguished their fires was not to discourage spirit possession, but so that all the Celtic tribes could relight their fires from a common source, the Druidic fire that was kept burning in the Middle of Ireland, at Usinach. Some accounts tell of how the Celts would burn someone at the stake who was thought to have already been possessed, as sort of a lesson to the spirits. Other accounts of Celtic history debunk these stories as myth.

The Romans adopted the Celtic practices as their own. But in the first century AD, Samhain was assimilated into celebrations of some of the other Roman traditions that took place in October, such as their day to honor Pomona, the Roman goddess of fruit and trees. The symbol of Pomona is the apple, which might explain the origin of our modern tradition of bobbing for apples on Halloween.

The thrust of the practices also changed over time to become more ritualized. As belief in spirit possession waned, the practice of dressing up like hobgoblins, ghosts, and witches took on a more ceremonial role. The custom of Halloween was brought to America in the 1840's by Irish immigrants fleeing their country's potato famine.
For a more accurate comparison I'd recommend something like a Star Trek or Star Wars convention. Your comparison with Japan in this case would be dead accurate. Passer-bys can often be heard yelling things like "You're already grown up and you're still playing around in costumes!? Get a life!" or the more contemporary, "Losers!" These people aren't viewed too highly socially and often do the same things as their Japanese counterparts; hide it, don't tell anyone what they do in their free time and form small tightly knit communities.

The only place I know of where the selling point of a resturant is the costumed waitresses is in the small town of Vulcan Alberta. The town's main tourist and economical point is it's name sake (Vulcan, like Spock's species). The town is filled with Star Trek themed stores and diners. At spock Burger all the waitresses dress as Star Trek-ish aliens... Yeah, it's creepy.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-29, 16:06   Link #10
Bullsquat
Strange Love

In the words of the the illustrious Dr. Ian Malcolm, Cosplay is the "worst idea, in the history of bad ideas."
Bullsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-29, 16:19   Link #11
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

I'll be honest. I'd probably do King Hamdo from Now and Then, Here and There. I have the hair. The costume doesn't look too hard. But the FMP: FUmoffu in my previous sig is tempting...
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-29, 20:32   Link #12
Anthias

I'd be Touya from Ayashi no Ceres if i didn't have too much hair, and ed from fma if I was short. Both are cool characters, but since neither is quite right, it would have to be someone like.... I don't know...

Rick Hunter! (from Robotech) I could keep the helmet on so that hair wouldn't matter! (If I was Rick, I'd have pushed minmai out the airlock in the tuna episode! )

As for the social acceptance thing - I live in costume, being a stage actor (also film on occasion), and also being somewhat Goth. People don't seem to have any problem with me. Perhaps its the "blending in" skill of an anthropologist - but I get more respect than derision from Australians. ("He's dressed like THAT? and he comes in HERE? and is CALM and Confident??!!! He must a tough sonuvabish!!!" hehe)
Anthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-29, 20:58   Link #13
daliinn

i would go as Chaos from Xenosaga.....why? So i can wear booty shorts and not look like a shemale.
daliinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 00:14   Link #14
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliinn
i would go as Chaos from Xenosaga.....why? So i can wear booty shorts and not look like a shemale.
Have you seen Man-Faye? Don't make me post him...
Old 2004-03-30, 00:26   Link #15
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Cosplaying is just another fun activity in the various anime fandoms. At least, it's the quickest way to get to know other anime fans in Singapore, since the anime clubs emphasize the annual cosplay events a great deal.

Having said that, it does take courage and dedication, no matter how bad you think it is. Even Man-Faye and his "predecessor" Sailor Bubba deserve some respect, since they surely know of their reputation by now. And yet, by all accounts, they're still around, and/or have spawned various imitators.

On the more normal end of the scale, it's simply a matter of being able to act like your character, and follow through with the cosplay, despite the stares and whispers. I do have that respect for the cosplayers, regardless of the quality.

As for myself, I'd cosplay as either Kimura-sensei from Azumanga Daioh, or the skinny otaku from Comic Party. Because it's not a great leap from how I normally look and act.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 00:33   Link #16
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

I just thought of it. I could cosplay anime character with typical anime hair and glasses [ie Keitaro, Shiki Tohno, etc].
dkellis: Kimura-sensei sounds very temping. You can wear what he teaches in, complete with a bag of aluminum cans. However, I'd much rather see someone pulling off his swimsuit.
I have a large friend who could be the fat otaku...
Old 2004-03-30, 00:37   Link #17
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade xTekno
I just thought of it. I could cosplay anime character with typical anime hair and glasses [ie Keitaro, Shiki Tohno, etc].
dkellis: Kimura-sensei sounds very temping. You can wear what he teaches in, complete with a bag of aluminum cans. However, I'd much rather see someone pulling off his swimsuit.
I have a large friend who could be the fat otaku...
Actually, I already have the Chiyo-Chichi hat, and I can rustle up the suit he always wears fairly quickly. The problem is that I do wear glasses and my eyesight is quite bad, so it gets uncomfortable wearing that hat over my face.

The problem with cosplaying "everyday guys" is that nobody knows who you are. I think one guy who likes to "cosplay" Hiroyuki from To Heart had to wear a nametag so everyone would know that he was actually, yanno, cosplaying.
Old 2004-03-30, 01:02   Link #18
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

I would cosplay as FUNimation CEO Gen Fukunaga.
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 01:03   Link #19
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

Chiyo-Chichi? Trying to remember... please refresh my memory.
Old 2004-03-30, 01:23   Link #20
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade xTekno
Chiyo-Chichi? Trying to remember... please refresh my memory.
Chiyo's, um, father. The cat... thing. The hats made a big appearance in the cultural festival episode.

I've heart the hat referred to as Daddy-hat as well. I'm not sure what the official term is.