They should flush all copies of it in the toilet 9 4.37%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-01, 21:11   Link #1
Ero-Sannin

Send a message via MSN to Ero-Sannin
Is Full Metal Alchemist overrated...

Is FMA alchemist over rated?

A lot of people gave it a rating that it surpasses all known anime series and others... well they think diffrently

I will be posting my opinion later

So what will it be ?
Old 2004-06-01, 21:22   Link #2
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I vote for "good".
In the beginning I would have votet "Ok" for Ed and Al being so nice, friendly and... childish. But I let it rest for a while and watched other animes and when I got back to it I watched about 20 eps in a row. That got me really hooked up. You can see the charas evolving quite well like that.

@topic:
Though I didn`t see anyone rate FMA as "above everyting else" yet, so I don`t think it`s overrated. (left aside those few crazy people that never leave the FMA forum but most popular animes have those fanatics, right? *cough Naruto cough One Piece cough*)
Old 2004-06-01, 22:15   Link #3
Yoda117
Galley Slave

Send a message via ICQ to Yoda117 Send a message via AIM to Yoda117 Send a message via Yahoo to Yoda117
I have to agree with Dho with a vote of "good" marginaling on "very good" at times... but not the best anime I've ever seen.
Old 2004-06-01, 22:52   Link #4
kujoe
from head to heel

I say it's in the "it's good" or in the "it's fun" category. It's not the best thing ever, but I still found the story somewhat refreshing after the few titles I've been into lately. Moreover, I thought it would be a light-hearted adventure at first, and I'm glad that it gets darker as the story progresses.
Old 2004-06-01, 23:18   Link #5
HoboGod
Necromancer

everyone has their own opinion for best anime EVAR.... i personally think FMA is a good show, not the best, but better than most. don't follow hype, watch something because you alone think it is good
Old 2004-06-01, 23:33   Link #6
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Back on topic for a moment, is it overrated? I don't think so, because I haven't heard all that much hype around it. I don't see throngs of fanboys proclaiming it to be the best ever, and I don't see dozens of threads dedicated to it, with lots of childish idjits giving the finger to anyone that doesn't like the show as much as them.

Maybe in some circles it's become overrated, but I haven't seen it.
Old 2004-06-02, 00:17   Link #7
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

I think it's an amazing show, not the greatest of all time, nobody ever claimed it to be, but it may be one of the best of this year! Great story, characters, animation, plenty of episodes. I think it's rated just where it should be.
Old 2004-06-02, 00:50   Link #8
stpehen
kisses for all

I voted OK. Having watched 15 episodes or so, I've come to the conclusion that it's not terrible, but the action sequences are uninteresting, I hate Ed's character, and the "wacky" humor is badly misplaced and inappropriate for the serious tone they try to evoke. I've seen worse anime, but I don't understand why FMA is so popular among English-speaking fandom.
Old 2004-06-02, 01:00   Link #9
ano_hito

FMA has a unique style, plot and set of characters that makes the show very enjoyable to watch. FMA is not over rated but saying that it's beyond all anime is not accurate. I'd rather say that it's one of the best anime of the year in the Magic/Science-Fiction/Adventure category. But as HoboGod said, everyone has their own opinion for best anime ever. And next year there is gonna be (I hope) something new, refreshing and equally or more entertaining than FMA.
Old 2004-06-02, 01:04   Link #10
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboGod
everyone has their own opinion for best anime EVAR.... i personally think FMA is a good show, not the best, but better than most. don't follow hype, watch something because you alone think it is good
I agree completely... I ain't going to watch an anime, show, or movie/listen to music just because it's hyped...

I do not think FMA is overrated... it is a nice show and I find it entertaining... FMA is definitely not the best anime ever... but it's definitely not shit either!
Old 2004-06-02, 01:07   Link #11
ubb

Any popular anime is considered overrated in the general public. FMA did not gain popularity from a prestigious manga series(naruto), famous director(samurai champloo), or any other factor before the show premiere. It was famous because the anime is awesome, to be this popular without any initial hype is something I have to give respect for, regardless of my opinion on the anime itself.
Old 2004-06-02, 01:12   Link #12
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpehen
I voted OK. Having watched 15 episodes or so, I've come to the conclusion that it's not terrible, but the action sequences are uninteresting, I hate Ed's character, and the "wacky" humor is badly misplaced and inappropriate for the serious tone they try to evoke. I've seen worse anime, but I don't understand why FMA is so popular among English-speaking fandom.
I found my twin soul @_@ You just said all that I wanted to say... The other thing that I have to add against this show is that the graphics are somewhat childish, and I think that having so much gore and blood all over the place at times doesn't match with the drawing style. Even though this anime has those HUGE flaws, I still watch it just because I think that it is an ok show that is worthwhile to take a look at when you don't have anything else to do. And besides, the creator of this show was the same person who made Scrapped princess and just because of that, I'm expecting it to become a really good at the end

The main thing that I don't like about FMA is the action... It should have been more interesting...

*Runs away dodging the flames*
Old 2004-06-02, 01:57   Link #13
ubb

I agree that the humor is somewhat overplayed for the episodes before ep 25. After that you won't see any jokes about ed's height or anything you can actually laugh at.
Old 2004-06-02, 02:21   Link #14
solidsonya

i actually like this anime..but there were some moments where the humour just fell flat.
as the series goes on, though, it gets more intense and serious and definitely more interesting
i also like the idea of alchemy and the laws that apply to it
overall, i like the story line and the development of the characters
Old 2004-06-02, 06:49   Link #15
Joe Dalton

I voted its beyond all anime... not because I think its the best but because its better than just good imo.
I have never seen a show with such interesting characters specifacly the relationship between al and ed is so absurd and touching that it has really interested my like no other anime thats being made atm.
I have shows that I enjoyed more than this but not in the ones im currently watching.
When I see stuff like this sucks because the fighting is boring (or opposite) it always sends shivers down my spine... the ultimate being, this game would rock if they took out those boring story parts.
Its not that I dont realise thats what allot of people watch anime for (and most movies, games or any form of entertainment) but for some reason I cant hear that without having a need to punch stuff.

Anyway just look at this thread, I dont think its overrated at all.
Old 2004-06-02, 07:18   Link #16
Jumper
Shimurai

I've voted for good, altough I think that it is the best Series which is currently airing in Japan.
But I don't say it is the best Anime of all Time, i only say its the best at the moment.
It has a really good Story, good character development and in the newer Episodes there is also more Action.
But I don't think that the Action is the Mainpoint of such an Anime like FMA, this is no Naruto, where there are nearly only Fights.
FMA is on an higher level o_O

And I also don't think that it is overrated, cause most people who know the anime also like it
Old 2004-06-02, 08:00   Link #17
Mcdonalds

I voted for the top one. Best anime i have seen so far, but thats only because i haven't seen many series and started watching fansubs since like a year ago. In general this anime has been pretty consistent to the ideals of my anime. It has good human relationships, some action that doesn't go to far fetched or prolonged for the sake of having a fight. Tragedy in the anime is a big thing for me, although they're not just doing it for the sake of it and there is also minimal fanservice and i find the concepts pretty cool (as a budding scientists myself). The plot line has been moving fast, although it was episodic at the beginning and slowed down a bit after ep 25. Someone mentioned the drawing style, i can't comment as i'm not too sure about them, but i even notice the different types of smiles edward has e.g. his forced ones or normal ones. The greatest thing for me though, is that it doesn't avoid the controversial issues, showing human characteristics for most characters and has some great twists that i have fallen for. The only thing for me now, is where do they go from there description from their gate, i can see the potential for it being great and for it just going all wrong. I also have a problem with the humour. Although some places i have found it ridiculously funny, some of the time it just doesn't do anything for me.

As for overrated, not in my opinion. In terms of popularity it was only very slightly more popular than other series, but not to the levels of naruto, when personally i find this a far better show.
Old 2004-06-04, 11:20   Link #18
Cheesemon
Inactive Member

FMA is a very interesting phenomenon. I don't think I've seen an anime so universally liked by every that's seen it. I've noticed w/ anime fans and people in general that they don't like conforming w/ mainstream popularity, that when an anime gets really popular, there will be a lot of people that will bash it for whatever reason. Pokemon, DBZ, Naruto, One Piece, Sailor Moon . . .

But somehow FMA is so good that it's avoided this. I think you still see some of that human nature in this thread though, everyone's a little hesistant in calling it the best "It's great BUT not the best." That might be evidence that there's still a little of that reluctance-to-conform. Heck, I've taken it off my Top 5 anime list, even though it probably belongs there, but now I'm wonder if I'm being affected in the same way. ^^;
Old 2004-06-04, 11:36   Link #19
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

No, it`s much easier: FMA is not the best anime ever, so we don`t vote it as the best. No hidden psycho-stuff here...
Old 2004-06-04, 22:47   Link #20
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

FMA really surprised me, i had a few expectations of cliches (it scared the hell out of me when i heard Al's voice, and i expected the characters to be older) but none of them really came to pass...FMA reeks of the wonderful smell of originality and creativity so absent from today's anime
Closed Thread