AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2005-12-17, 09:05   Link #1
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Convert AVI/MKV/MP4 to DVD

Sorry, this guide is now hopelessly out-of-date. Please find some other guide/software instead (for example on www.videohelp.com).

The site hosting Queue for Encoding (playbackhelp.com) went down sometime ago due to a server crash. I probably have backups of it somewhere though, but I don't see the point in restoring the site since the guide & scripts are hopelessly out-of-date and probably won't work anymore anyway (unless you're still stuck on XP).

Please do not PM me regarding help with the guide or script, as I stopped using it myself years ago. Hooking up a cheap PC to a LCD TV (with MediaPortal) is so much easier and gives much better picture quality.

This thread is a place holder; I'll fill it in later.

It seems both v1 and v2 of this guide has been lost because v1 was posted
about 2 weeks after the last backup

Anyway... Google Cache to the rescue again. I'll repost BOTH guides once I get time.
Like the latest version of the v2 guide, I might just put them on playbackhelp.com instead though
and post the links here and keep this thread for discussions only...

v2 guide here:

Queue for Encoding
(Encode AVI/MKV/MP4 to DVD using a few scripts and freeware tools like QuEnc and BeSweet)

Please note that while the instructions in the guide mentioned above can be used to encode licensed anime
and dvd rips, DO NOT expect any help if you get into trouble trying to convert these kind of files.

Useful setup information can be found on the webarchive, here:
GHDpro's Guide to TMPGEnc
Aktee's Guide for CCE

If you use Window's Vista, then you'll have to change these instructions slightly
Follow all the steps from the queue for encoding guide and when it comes down to the explorer menu stage:
  1. Right click on the file
  2. Click open with
  3. Click choose default program
  4. Uncheck "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"
  5. Click browse and double click DVDStudio folder
  6. Select scripts folder
  7. Select queue

Last edited by GHDpro; 2010-02-26 at 11:20.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-18, 15:41   Link #2
chaosfox123
Godfather Of Manga

Cheers GHDpro I was gonna try the guide seening as I was bored to hell, but when I tryed to get on to the forum it sayed " forum down " and I was like WTH?!!! Now I can resume back to where I was
chaosfox123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 10:53   Link #3
moeru
AAA Regular Member

Send a message via AIM to moeru
If you need a copy of v2 zip, I should still have it laying around GHD. Just let me know Least I could do for all the help you've given me
moeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 11:35   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Well the v2 Guide and all software were moved to www.playbackhelp.com, so they
were not affected. I got a copy of the v1 guide (which was still on the forum) sitting
on my HD, which I'll revive... soon.
Old 2005-12-20, 05:54   Link #5
okies

hi how do i configure it to use CCE
thanks
okies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-20, 06:02   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by okies
hi how do i configure it to use CCE
thanks
First modify your config.ini like this:
Encoder = "cce"
Then setup your CCE as described in aktee's guide.

All this and more about how to use Queue for encoding is right here.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 00:19   Link #7
Skimpy

ogm files?

is there anyway to do this with .ogm files?
Skimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 04:08   Link #8
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Not yet. And while I do plan to add OGM support "sometime", don't hold your breath for it.

However, you should be able to convert OGM files to MKV format using MKVMerge
(included with my scripts, see C:\DVDStudio\Scripts\Apps\MKV\mmg.exe after unpacking)

And MKV files are supported so... that's one way. Of course if you have dozens of
files to convert this way, or somehow the OGM file you have won't covert properly,
this may not be such a great solution.
Old 2006-01-01, 15:28   Link #9
Jolaloye

cheers for getting the forum back together. i've been using v2 of the guides for so long.
Jolaloye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-02, 16:43   Link #10
DarqueOrchid

Nevermind..

Last edited by DarqueOrchid; 2006-01-02 at 17:46. Reason: nevermind posted elsewhere
DarqueOrchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 01:25   Link #11
Jolaloye

i have a recommendation. is it possible for you to build in a resume capability? it takes a few hours for each episode to get incoded and sometimes what happens is at the end of an encode there's a problem muxing the audio and all i'm left with is just the video. or maybe a way to just take the video and mux it directly with your program.
Old 2006-01-04, 01:35   Link #12
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Actually, the program already has something much like a resume function.

If there is a problem, then it will not delete any work files. If you run it again it will look at what files are there and try to complete the missing steps.

For example, if it failed to successfully create an audio track, then it will skip the mux and not delete the encoded video. If you fix the audio problem by extracting the audio as a wav, then you can run the batch file again. It will see that there is already a mpv and skip encoding the video. As it moves on to encoding audio it will see the wav and resume from that point, encoding the mp2 audio from the wav file and muxing it.

Is this what you wanted?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-01-05, 01:29   Link #13
okies

this might sound like a dumb question but how do i burn m2v+mp2 files to dvd?
im new ti this so sorry
thanks
okies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-05, 02:49   Link #14
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

You need a DVD authoring program to do this. An authoring program is used to create the menus and mux the video and audio into vob files so that they can be read by your DVD player.

I recommend that you try TMPG Author since it works well and it is one of the simplest to use authoring programs that I have ever seen. You can buy it for as little as $60.

Old 2006-01-05, 04:58   Link #15
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

[offtopic mode="slight"] I see you are discovering the reasons that the DVD community has strongly discouraged DVD transcoding since the dawn of time... Partly because it annoys the encoders who has put so much work into doing a good encode, only to see it destroyed by someone transcoding it to DVD. But mostly because once you start supporting it, all newbies in existence will come flocking to you for tech support and to get the programs required. I predict you'll soon have to create a special "DVD transcoding" forum if this goes on. [trolling] BTW, I thought the point of unlicensed fansubs was to NOT make them a DVD replacement? [/trolling][/offtopic]
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-05, 05:09   Link #16
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff
[offtopic mode="slight"] I see you are discovering the reasons that the DVD community has strongly discouraged DVD transcoding since the dawn of time... Partly because it annoys the encoders who has put so much work into doing a good encode, only to see it destroyed by someone transcoding it to DVD. But mostly because once you start supporting it, all newbies in existence will come flocking to you for tech support and to get the programs required. I predict you'll soon have to create a special "DVD transcoding" forum if this goes on. [trolling] BTW, I thought the point of unlicensed fansubs was to NOT make them a DVD replacement? [/trolling][/offtopic]
Well if you want to know, I just encode fansubs to DVD for viewing only -- I burn them to DVDRW
and erase them again as soon as I'm done with them. The thing is that it's just much more comfortable
for me to watch anything I download on my TV then on my PC.
Old 2006-01-08, 20:24   Link #17
Jolaloye

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Actually, the program already has something much like a resume function.

If there is a problem, then it will not delete any work files. If you run it again it will look at what files are there and try to complete the missing steps.

For example, if it failed to successfully create an audio track, then it will skip the mux and not delete the encoded video. If you fix the audio problem by extracting the audio as a wav, then you can run the batch file again. It will see that there is already a mpv and skip encoding the video. As it moves on to encoding audio it will see the wav and resume from that point, encoding the mp2 audio from the wav file and muxing it.

Is this what you wanted?
thanks for the heads up. i feel like a big dummy now . you have no idea how many times i just delete the files when an encode doesn't work.
Old 2006-01-10, 21:15   Link #18
SlaxLinux

I find using DIKO (divx in Kdvd out) works very well with external subs:
http://www.vmesquita.com/en/download.htm

It was written by VMesquita, who wrote freeENC, the wonderful mpeg2 transcoder ( I suggest you check that out too 40+ FPS!)

It compiles many open source libraries into a very easy to use GUI style dvd converter

The only problem is it cuts off the TV safe area as you said, and the only option in his script is to enable "overscan" in which he places a black bar that actually covers the subtitles! *4 wasted discs...*

Anyway I'm about to try the new version of your script, thanks for supporting this man!

Last edited by SlaxLinux; 2006-01-10 at 22:02.
SlaxLinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 16:04   Link #19
bigdude

Question

Thanks for making this guide!

I, too, like to watch fansubs on my TV and banged my head fro a year trying to find something like this, only to finally figure out that I could do it in TMPGEnc.

One thing I could not find. Most anime MKV files have 2 audios and 1 subtitle. I see how your guide uses the subtitle, but how do you choose which audio stream to use? Audio stream 1 isn't always the Japanese track.

Also, converting to a DVD format is great if you own a series 2 TiVo. They have a new feature that allows you to push DVD format files onto it and then I can view without burning onto a disk.

Last edited by bigdude; 2006-01-12 at 16:19.
bigdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 16:38   Link #20
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdude
One thing I could not find. Most anime MKV files have 2 audios and 1 subtitle. I see how your guide uses the subtitle, but how do you choose which audio stream to use? Audio stream 1 isn't always the Japanese track.
If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I touched the source code), my scripts
should search for both a japanese track and english subtitle (if there are more than one).

If this doesn't work properly, then at least the next release will simply convert them both
and not multiplex the video and audio together. I still have to make some more improvements
before I can release this version (v2.10) though...

Tags
file conversion, wiki candidate