AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: which is worse?
Bad dub 12 85.71%
No dub 3 21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2016-05-17, 03:52   Link #1
JamesMayFan
Moe Land Fugitive

What's worse? Badly Dubbed Anime or No Dubbed Anime?

Personally I think it depends on the anime itself, but still I might have to lighting up another sub vs dub wars again because this might be my one of the most controversial question to this topic

S.O.S Brigade's and Far East of Magical Nap Society's Most Wanted Fugitive
Old 2016-05-17, 04:24   Link #2
monster

There shouldn't be any controversy about this topic. Most people probably wouldn't care enough about whether someone else prefers to listen to anime in a non-Japanese language.

Personally, as long as the translation is accurate (localization effort aside), the language of the audio track doesn't really matter to me. Either way, I still prefer to have subtitles/closed captioning as I don't trust my hearing as well as I should.
Old 2016-05-17, 07:44   Link #3
IceHism

No dubbed anime

That would mean anime has no edge to compete in the international market and that would just kill anime faster.
Old 2016-05-17, 08:10   Link #4
pervypig

I'm fine with anything as long as they don't try to dub Kira Yamato's friggin' crying voice...
Old 2016-05-17, 08:13   Link #5
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
No dubbed anime

That would mean anime has no edge to compete in the international market and that would just kill anime faster.
To an extent, yes. Many good titles don't have any foreign dubs YET, but of course, some of them never get a foreign dub partly because some sub-only fans do not want anyone to piss on the original Japanese dub.

On the other hand, bad dubs may destroy some chance of that title getting love from the offending dubs' market. Even then, however, it's 50/50. Some bad dubs get grilled, others get love and be glorified as "So Bad It's Good".

For me, bad dubs destroy some chances of me getting to known more about the title, especially if I have never watched the original Japanese dub before. Fortunately, I have a VERY high tolerance for bad dubs, basically if a dub murders my ears over time, I'll drop it, that's it.
Old 2016-05-18, 00:58   Link #6
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Not having a dub means it's yet to reach out to a wider audience on all cylinders; a bad dub means it's reached out with crippled hands, and now we're relying on people to look past something cringe worthy to see a show legitimately. Not to mention the dub is pissing off fans of the original version

Bad dubs are worse, by far
GANBARIMASU
Old 2016-05-18, 04:02   Link #7
JamesMayFan
Moe Land Fugitive

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kousaka View Post
Not having a dub means it's yet to reach out to a wider audience on all cylinders; a bad dub means it's reached out with crippled hands, and now we're relying on people to look past something cringe worthy to see a show legitimately. Not to mention the dub is pissing off fans of the original version

Bad dubs are worse, by far
so that means it's better off having no dubs at all rather than having a bad dub? well fine, Even if I watched only like 2 good dubbed shows(Haruhi Suzumiya, Ergo Proxy) and 8 average dubbed shows(generic highschool anime's dubbed by Funi/Sentai/whatever) over a zillions of subbed anime's that forgotten after like 2 years later this trend is fucking ridiculous. No offense but if this is what most of the anime fans nowadays wanted (encouraging the dub watchers to watching subs even when they have their own reasons that they can't watch their shows subbed) then so be it... I think I'm done messing around on this site and the Anime community in general anymore. And finally...
Enough is Enough
it's time to every anime licensors all around the world to scrapping out dubbed anime's altogether to save a lot of cash and make a much better times for every anime fans in the entire world...

Last edited by JamesMayFan; 2016-05-18 at 08:43.
Old 2016-05-18, 06:51   Link #8
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
To an extent, yes. Many good titles don't have any foreign dubs YET, but of course, some of them never get a foreign dub partly because some sub-only fans do not want anyone to piss on the original Japanese dub.

On the other hand, bad dubs may destroy some chance of that title getting love from the offending dubs' market. Even then, however, it's 50/50. Some bad dubs get grilled, others get love and be glorified as "So Bad It's Good".

For me, bad dubs destroy some chances of me getting to known more about the title, especially if I have never watched the original Japanese dub before. Fortunately, I have a VERY high tolerance for bad dubs, basically if a dub murders my ears over time, I'll drop it, that's it.
I never watch dubs at all but I'm just responding to the question in the op. If we are going by worse, having no dub is logically worse because its likely that it'll never have a dub at all or in the future as its marketability in the international market is unknown or very limited. A bad dub that succeeds can cause a movement for companies to invest in anime so you can more easily get better dubs or even anime more targeted towards foreigners.

Sub only or bust people sound like weebs. I know Japanese seiyuus are the best, but most Normie's don't want to watch something they can't understand.
Old 2016-05-18, 07:04   Link #9
itisjustme

How bad of a dub are you thinking of though? Lol I've seen Russian dubs that were basically a dude reading a script. Same dude for every characters, even female.

Tbh most english dubs aren't that bad, some are downright great. I'm at a point where I'm tired of the same sounding whiny japanese VAs and the grown women trying to sound like 8 years olds. There are still good VAs don't get me wrong, but nowadays if there's a professional dub available I'm watching that. Can't say for fandubs as I've never watched one.
Old 2016-05-18, 08:40   Link #10
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMayFan View Post
so that means it's better off having no dubs at all rather than having a bad dub? well fine, Even if I watched only like 2 good dubbed shows(Haruhi Suzumiya, Ergo Proxy) and 8 average dubbed shows(generic highschool anime's dubbed by Funi/Sentai/whatever) over a zillions of subbed anime's that forgotten after like 2 years later this trend is fucking ridiculous. No offense but if this is what most of the anime fans nowadays wanted (encouraging us dub watchers to watching subs even when we have our reasons that we can't watch our shows subbed) then so be it... I think I'm done messing around on this site and the Anime community in general anymore. And finally, Enough is Enough
No need to get all ansty if you are mature enough to not let other's opinion bother you. No one forcing you to watch whatever you don't want. Learn to respect others' opinion.

I don't care about dub, and I will never watch another dubbed anime. Either it has sub and I will buy, or I just go and watch the raw. Not only the dub manage to destroy the essence of the dialogues, all of them sounds like they are in the 30s/40s for the high school characters, which is disgusting.

I prefer things I watch to be in its original language. Never prefer Japanese dub for foreign movie and vice versa.
Old 2016-05-18, 08:41   Link #11
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Sub only or bust people sound like weebs. I know Japanese seiyuus are the best, but most Normie's don't want to watch something they can't understand.
Exactly. Without a local dub of an anime you like, good luck keeping up with the subtitles which unfortunately have varying degrees of quality, just like local dubs. Some subs are great, but others are downright terrible.
Old 2016-05-18, 08:48   Link #12
JamesMayFan
Moe Land Fugitive

Those companies would either work on a bit to improving the dubs, or else just fucking scrap the fuck out every last dubs they have altogether and start releasing everything subbed only, to save a lot of cash, time, effort, and enjoyment to their consumers (this is goes to Sentai, because when they doing dubs, they choosing their staffs that's either we're a bunch of drug addicts or someone's who could care less about anime for the casting of every characters)

Last edited by JamesMayFan; 2016-05-18 at 09:02.
Old 2016-05-18, 13:25   Link #13
Akito Kinomoto

Quote:
so that means it's better off having no dubs at all rather than having a bad dub? well fine, Even if I watched only like 2 good dubbed shows(Haruhi Suzumiya, Ergo Proxy) and 8 average dubbed shows(generic highschool anime's dubbed by Funi/Sentai/whatever) over a zillions of subbed anime's that forgotten after like 2 years later this trend is fucking ridiculous. No offense but if this is what most of the anime fans nowadays wanted (encouraging the dub watchers to watching subs even when they have their own reasons that they can't watch their shows subbed) then so be it... I think I'm done messing around on this site and the Anime community in general anymore. And finally...
Enough is Enough
it's time to every anime licensors all around the world to scrapping out dubbed anime's altogether to save a lot of cash and make a much better times for every anime fans in the entire world...
A show with a bad dub being worse than a show with no dub =/= wanting no dubs. Differentiate please
GANBARIMASU
Old 2016-05-18, 17:47   Link #14
JamesMayFan
Moe Land Fugitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kousaka View Post
A show with a bad dub being worse than a show with no dub =/= wanting no dubs. Differentiate please
I just wanted to end this stupid fucking trend of pointless dub hating that's all...

Old 2016-05-18, 18:05   Link #15
JamesMayFan
Moe Land Fugitive

A Speech to stop English dub hating

"I will carry out the new creation of destruction through the power of dubs hating...
bad acting... bad scripting... bad discs bundles... all will be erased...
This is the new state "A World Without English Dubs" will create. None of the English dubs have any meaning in anime's anymore. Those dubs will be banished from this world for good...
The World With No English Dubs will pen a new story to the anime community all around the world...
The world will change..."

Last edited by JamesMayFan; 2016-05-18 at 19:25.
Old 2016-05-18, 18:52   Link #16
Akito Kinomoto

As someone who routinely vouches for how consistently good FUNimation is and points out Sentai's inconsistency, even I find the actual thread title very loaded
GANBARIMASU
Old 2016-05-19, 09:04   Link #17
LKK

Quote:
I just wanted to end this stupid fucking trend of pointless dub hating that's all...
Dub hating isn't a trend on AnimeSuki. If stopping a trend that hasn't been present for some time on AS is the purpose of this thread, then this thread serves no purpose. Thread closed.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Closed Thread