AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf II - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 27 31.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 37.93%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 13.79%
7 out of 10 : Good 14 16.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.15%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-06, 22:49   Link #21
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuutsu View Post
Oh my god... I love Horo, but she's seriously driving me nuts. If I were Lawrence, I'd have left her by now (my personal opinion).
I agree, I'd love to see Lawrence win this round against without Horos help, and win the round between him and Horo . I wouldn't mind to see that Horo was just playing the whole time, but I'd much rather see Lawrence show her up this time.

As for this episode, I thought it was very good ( as the others have been ). Quite the ending, left me twitching to see what's going to happen in the next episode.
Old 2009-08-06, 23:05   Link #22
Somnus
Eh?

Tch, I really enjoyed the ride throughout this episode. Lawrence's personal development here was huge...quite the level up indeed. Then came the last minute or so, what a wonderful way to put a bad taste in my mouth. Oh well, as always can't wait for the next ep!
Old 2009-08-06, 23:29   Link #23
X207
Gamyūsa

regarding ep5
Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-07, 00:54   Link #24
Jski

My word who would ever thing economic where so intense! I really have been enjoying this season. I wish I could comply understand them though.
Old 2009-08-07, 01:21   Link #25
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Issues... I haz dem

Okay, actually I have one specific issue. Does Amati know exactly who and what Horo really is? Because I don't recall seeing anyone let him in on the big secret. Even if he did somehow manage to win this duel, he'd be in for a big surprise on his wedding night. And yet, that fact hasn't been addressed at all. It's just kind of hanging out there - and it's mocking me.

The other thing bugging me is that I wish we could have seen at least some of what Horo's going through at the moment. She's just gotten the shock of her very long life - news that her home might not be there any more. Her entire world has been turned upside down, and more importantly, she's not in control any more. How is she handling that? Yes, we're getting to see a good story with Lawrence, but I feel like there's a lot more being left by the side of the road.

And wouldn't it be fun to have Lawrence take Horo for a visit with Deanna?
Old 2009-08-07, 01:42   Link #26
sekidousai
Ra-ou
*Graphic Designer

Ooh nice episode... Truly one of the series worth watching this season. Some series gave ma an endless bad taste in the mouth.

This whole arc reminds me of when im having girl troubles . Overall i believe this arc will give us an insight not only on how stock markets work but also on how relationships work . That position Lawrence is in right now... i can totally relate. poor guy. But in the end like it could be just some misunderstanding which could make or break their relationship.

Spoiler for ...:
Old 2009-08-07, 01:57   Link #27
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Okay, actually I have one specific issue. Does Amati know exactly who and what Horo really is? Because I don't recall seeing anyone let him in on the big secret. Even if he did somehow manage to win this duel, he'd be in for a big surprise on his wedding night. And yet, that fact hasn't been addressed at all. It's just kind of hanging out there - and it's mocking me.
Amati obviously doesn't know, you think he'd be trying to pay her non-existent dept if he did. The kid is smart but also quite naive. As to why Horo would go and maintain that charade... well your second paragraph pretty much answers to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
The other thing bugging me is that I wish we could have seen at least some of what Horo's going through at the moment. She's just gotten the shock of her very long life - news that her home might not be there any more. Her entire world has been turned upside down, and more importantly, she's not in control any more. How is she handling that? Yes, we're getting to see a good story with Lawrence, but I feel like there's a lot more being left by the side of the road.

And wouldn't it be fun to have Lawrence take Horo for a visit with Deanna?
Indeed, it would be.

They can't really show Horo in this little arc, a big part of the suspence comes from us not knowing how the wolf goddess really feels at that point. It's a bit disapointing for some people, but I prefer it that way myself.
Old 2009-08-07, 01:59   Link #28
cicero

Ugh. For a person who theoretically hasn't done anything wrong, Amarti sure is starting to look more and more like an ass. And Mark's comment about not being able to buy love with money feels like a dig at Amarti, since that's basically what Amarti is trying to do. But I might be overthinking it.

Also, I have the strong suspicion that the person who bought pyrite on credit off of Diane was Amarti himself, to deprive Lawrence of that source of pyrite. (For one thing, Lawrence himself thinks of it, which is why he keeps asking Diane who it is. And the feathers Horo is wearing look very similar to the ones Diane has, which might be another reason Lawrence is shocked.) Of course, Mark is so godly helpful that Lawrence can get it anyway, or so I'm given to understand.
Old 2009-08-07, 02:23   Link #29
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjacat View Post
Amati obviously doesn't know, you think he'd be trying to pay her non-existent dept if he did. The kid is smart but also quite naive. As to why Horo would go and maintain that charade... well your second paragraph pretty much answers to this.
Her debt is exaggerated, not non-existent. And now that the contract has been signed, as long as Amati wants Horo, he's pretty much committed to paying the 1000 silver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicero View Post
Ugh. For a person who theoretically hasn't done anything wrong, Amarti sure is starting to look more and more like an ass.
Why? Because he rattled Lawrence? Isn't that Lawrence's fault for letting himself be rattled by little things? Heck, a good part of it is due to Horo being there at Amati's side. Do you mean to say that Horo's an ass? Do you want to die that much?

Quote:
And Mark's comment about not being able to buy love with money feels like a dig at Amarti, since that's basically what Amarti is trying to do. But I might be overthinking it.
This isn't slave trading. From what Amati knows, money's pretty much the only thing that can set Horo free to marry him, so that's what he uses. What else would you have of him?
Old 2009-08-07, 02:51   Link #30
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Her debt is exaggerated, not non-existent. And now that the contract has been signed, as long as Amati wants Horo, he's pretty much committed to paying the 1000 silver.
She does owe him a pretty small sum of money, but Lawrence mostly agreed to it because he wanted to please the audience and he's not gonna spit on a thousand silvers. He was going to give the money to Horo.

Wich is quite amusing really, Horo can leave Lawrence anytime she wants. The whole contract deal is entirely Amati's idea of chivalry, it's not enough to love a girl, you must show your affection with a show of skill, dedication and PANACHE.

I love that kid, even though I'm going to enjoy immensely seeing him bite the dust.
Old 2009-08-07, 03:14   Link #31
judgment26
Former B-T Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Wait, is there enough material left in this story to fill an entire episode? It'll be weird and less satisfying in my opinion if they don't end it the way they did in the book, I loved that scene!
Yes, the greater portion of chapter 5 and the final chapter are yet to be covered.

The feathers worn by Horo are significant, btw, but I guess I'll shut up and let those who haven't read the novel watch till the end.
Old 2009-08-07, 03:38   Link #32
EadTaes
The Northern Guy

Send a message via AIM to EadTaes Send a message via MSN to EadTaes
ARG cliffhanger AGAIN I'm gonna die from be on edge so much one of these days I tell you.

A 10, but a very irritating 10. I was hoping for a conclusion more not an other torture your self for one week.

Horo and an EVIL EVIL GIRL, Lawrence doesn't know the first thing about him self and Amati is a blind fool I hate, he's also scheming I am pretty sure he knows Lawrence is planing something.

I know horo will remain with Lawrence or this story would end, but dang-it this is driving me nuts. LITERALLY!!!!
Old 2009-08-07, 03:47   Link #33
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Why? Because he rattled Lawrence? Isn't that Lawrence's fault for letting himself be rattled by little things? Heck, a good part of it is due to Horo being there at Amati's side. Do you mean to say that Horo's an ass? Do you want to die that much?
Indeed, better yet I thought what Amati did to Lawrence in this episode was no different then what Lawrence did to Amati in the previous episode. What goes around comes around I suppose.
Old 2009-08-07, 08:11   Link #34
AKnightWhoSaysNi!
Bring me a shrubbery!

So well done. So... well... done.

Lawrence's lines are perfect, you finally see how much Horo means to him. But I think the absolute best part of his whole dialogue through the episode is the words he uses to describe exactly how important she is. He only has his experience and knowledge as a merchant to fall back to, and he likens her to a piece of very important cargo that is about to fall off! While this gets the point across that Horo is the most important thing in his cart, it seems like he is forgetting this piece of cargo isn't just dead weight obeying gravity. She has a will of her own! Now how she decides to use it he has no idea.

Loved his question at the end of his meeting with Deanna and loved his mumbling when he woke up (Horo is more than just pretty, she has utility value!). Amati paying Lawrence in the market was great, he was mocking the heck out of him! "I have sooooooooo much money I couldn't think of anything better to do than go get gold coins JUST TO SEE YOUR FACE."

I'm quite amazed at how well done these episodes have been, and I just can't wait to see this volume's conclusion in motion. Just thinking about it gets me excited enough to start fidgeting.
Old 2009-08-07, 09:47   Link #35
typhonsentra

God, this show just keeps delivering the goods. Each episode has been amazing, albeit the animation was a bit too minimalist for my taste this time around. It was also nice to have Lawrence say out loud his feelings for her honestly and acknowledge how important they are to one another.
Old 2009-08-07, 09:52   Link #36
Trythos

Gah the cliffhanger hurts so much!

Amati is really annoying... common sense tells you that Lawrence and Horo end up together again, (Or what, it'll become Spice and Horse?), but it still hurts so much. So tempted to just read the novel... but no. Must. Hold. Out...

Sigh... guess i'll go do something to ease this pain.

I should just rate this painful... painful for how nerve-wracking it is.
Old 2009-08-07, 10:36   Link #37
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I understand little of commerce but Lawrence's speech about Horo and pushing the cart stuck in the rain was painfully beautiful.

As for the cliffhanger ending... goddammit Lawrence apparently wasn;t crazy prepared enough for this. He needs to take a level in badass pretty quickly if he's going to win.

To those calling Amati impulsive and overly emotional... Yeah he's sort of all of that, byt most of all, he's naive.

Mark's speech was excellent. I've always had this idea that while Lawrence does place such a high value on his relationship with Horo, being a travelling merchant he is described by Mark as someone who is unable to look at people beyond mere partners. His speech probably helped put Lawrence's mind into perspective: that he preached of Horo being cargo beyond value and compare, he doesn't truly know what this value of hers mean to him.

Mark got it completely right, Lawrence never realized just how much effort he's been putting into protecting her because he's always been looking at her, and his own business associates, as partners in commerce rather than friends. And now that she's gone, as the cliche goes, only now he ralizes what he has and what he's done when she isn't around.

"What are you to me?" "What am I to you?", as Horo asked previously. Personally Lawrence should have asked himself that very same question the moment she popped it but, as I've said before, as a travelling merchant he always puts people at a distance.

This is is biggest fault. Always had been. I've been noticing this since about nearing the end of season 1 but I always thought that's the way he operated, until this season which really puts the way he terats people into the center stage.

But maybe now, he knows. Took one season + 5 for him to realize, but I'm expecting a big change in his perceptions.

As for this episode not having enough Horo... well...

This is all the Horo I need.
Old 2009-08-07, 11:04   Link #38
AKnightWhoSaysNi!
Bring me a shrubbery!

I have a feeling if people just stuck pictures of ^ on big signs that said "IF YOU DO BAD THINGS THIS GIRL WILL CRY" we could stop a lot of wars.
Old 2009-08-07, 11:08   Link #39
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Ironically, it took me 20min just to make a working animated .gif of that to fit the board maximum and perfectly centered on her face.
Old 2009-08-07, 11:27   Link #40
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

A really good episode that further fleshed out Lawrences feelings for Horo. So many wonderfuly done scenes this episode and that one shot of Horo was filled with so many emotions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post

Mark got it completely right, Lawrence never realized just how much effort he's been putting into protecting her because he's always been looking at her, and his own business associates, as partners in commerce rather than friends. And now that she's gone, as the cliche goes, only now he ralizes what he has and what he's done when she isn't around.
Well as a certain saying goes, "you don't know what you got until it's gone". I'm really excited to see how this all plays out. Especially how Horo reacts about everything when things get resolved.
Closed Thread