AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-12-29, 06:13   Link #3401
Crisis
Rock on ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Was is the average price for a haircut (dudes) in the U.S.?

I ask because of an american movie I was watching, where the barber charges 20 bucks for a simple haircut!

I mean WTF!? 20 bucks just for that! o_0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Dunno about the U.S. but in the U.K a couple of local barbers charge 11-12 UKP for a basic haircut (that's $18-$19).
xris, where you live .. in Hampshire it must cost that much.
In East London, I get mine for £5 which is $8 ( by todays exchange rate ).

Daniel, depends upon the complexity of the haircut. I watched an African man get a haircut the other day for 30 mins. and he had so much specific demands .. 3cm this way . that side a tiny bit .. god!

`No offence meant to any African members.`
Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 06:23   Link #3402
Crisis
Rock on ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
It seems EuroStar trains broke down coz of the temperature outside being cold and in the inside of tunnel being hot. Why?
Actually, from what I have read in the newspapers over here in Sunny England ( sarcasm ),

the trains have snow guards... think of it like metallic skirts around the wheels. Apparently snow got in through the guards ( the snow guards were faulty??? ) and then sat inside while it was travelling in France. As the train got into the tunnel, the snow melted and KAPPOW! .. I mean short circuited stuff and the trains were borked
Old 2009-12-30, 02:00   Link #3403
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztech View Post
Daniel, depends upon the complexity of the haircut. I watched an African man get a haircut the other day for 30 mins. and he had so much specific demands .. 3cm this way . that side a tiny bit .. god!

`No offence meant to any African members.`
Yeah, if you have a specific hair style, you'll obviously want to have something more than just a plain haircut.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!
Old 2009-12-31, 00:04   Link #3404
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Final silly question of the year

Why is it: 95% of the time i put on my earbuds without looking (which is most of the time), i always put the left earbud into my right ear (and it happened like hundreds of times already)? The two are the same and visually no different, except the "R" and "L" on them, so the chance should be 50-50 for this case, shouldn't it? Anyone got similar experience?

My three possible answers are:
- dejavu: so i always feel that it happened many more times that i actually is (when the actual ratio was close to 50-50)
- the earbud was specially designed: but shouldn't it be designed so the user would put the right earbud into right ear?
- divinity: the Universe or God designed things so, to prove that science and chance can't prove everything (it's silly through )
Old 2009-12-31, 02:26   Link #3405
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Final silly question of the year

Why is it: 95% of the time i put on my earbuds without looking (which is most of the time), i always put the left earbud into my right ear (and it happened like hundreds of times already)? The two are the same and visually no different, except the "R" and "L" on them, so the chance should be 50-50 for this case, shouldn't it? Anyone got similar experience?

My three possible answers are:
- dejavu: so i always feel that it happened many more times that i actually is (when the actual ratio was close to 50-50)
- the earbud was specially designed: but shouldn't it be designed so the user would put the right earbud into right ear?
- divinity: the Universe or God designed things so, to prove that science and chance can't prove everything (it's silly through )
It's probably just selective memory... you're more likely to remember instances where things 'go wrong' than when they don't.
Old 2009-12-31, 02:56   Link #3406
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woopzilla View Post
It's probably just selective memory... you're more likely to remember instances where things 'go wrong' than when they don't.
this.

The memory of doing things that you do a lot lets you do things automatic
Same with other things you never forget like sitting on a bike, or making a dish
Left and right earplugs are not exactly the same in design, well mine aren't, if you have them in your ear the speaker part is sticking forward deeper into your ear, if you grab the earplug you automatically know which one it is based on touch and remembering what part goes where, like walking you never forget it not if you do it daily
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 04:36   Link #3407
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Just recently, I have tried to consciously put a random earbud into my ear without looking, and the chance actually around 50-50. So yeah, it's likely that either it was because selective memory or my unconscious mind choose the left one by default (as you two mentioned)....

PS: Ringo Mogire Beam~! and Kaerimichi are probably the two best OP of the year 2009, right ? ^^ ...and yeah Happy New Year everyone
Old 2010-01-18, 06:55   Link #3408
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

this is ff9's zidane's ultima weapon

now, is there a blade like this in real life?
if so, what's it really called?

Frailty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 08:14   Link #3409
Cipher

two spears glued together. I don't know what they're called but that is interesting. question: are there real authentic sharp death scythes?
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 09:25   Link #3410
Crisis
Rock on ^^

In which thread over here can you list your fav. female anime characters?

I did in a Manga thread, but dont think thats right.
Old 2010-01-18, 10:19   Link #3411
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post

this is ff9's zidane's ultima weapon

now, is there a blade like this in real life?
if so, what's it really called?
No, because it doesn't make any sense since it restricts movement. Ultimate weapon my arse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
two spears glued together. I don't know what they're called but that is interesting. question: are there real authentic sharp death scythes?
Spear = shaft with pointy bit at one end (by definition it doesn't work). Scytes are not used as weapons unless you are talking about desperate times. The scyte is a agricultural tool; mostly cutting grass and similar. As with the above absurdity, its impractical because it restricts movement and there really is no advantageous angle it gives you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztech View Post
In which thread over here can you list your fav. female anime characters?

I did in a Manga thread, but dont think thats right.
Your favourite anime character
The Hottest Anime Character
Old 2010-01-18, 14:03   Link #3412
oompa loompa

Silly question: How do I/ Can I burn a video file onto a DVD and play it on an Xbox360? Are there any complications? If it is possible ( and its not as easy as 1-2-3 can anyone explain)
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 15:51   Link #3413
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Well, a quick google search shows there are some "wushu double headed spears", but I don't know if they were ever used in actual combat.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 16:06   Link #3414
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I repeat, spears by defintion do not have both ends sharpened! =P
Old 2010-01-18, 16:14   Link #3415
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
I repeat, spears by defintion do not have both ends sharpened! =P
Then how would you properly describe this abomination of warfare?
Old 2010-01-18, 16:50   Link #3416
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Poll with two blades at each end? Arguably I see it used more as a staff weapon then a spear which is mostly piercing action. If I were to get a poll and attach two boulders to each side would you refer to it as a hammer/spear? it doesn't need to have a one word name to be a weapon.
Old 2010-01-18, 17:01   Link #3417
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Look, it's a stick with a metal point on each end. How do you call it?

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Poll with two blades at each end? Arguably I see it used more as a staff weapon then a spear which is mostly piercing action. If I were to get a poll and attach two boulders to each side would you refer to it as a hammer/spear? it doesn't need to have a one word name to be a weapon.
Thus, the "double headed" modifier.
Old 2010-01-18, 17:33   Link #3418
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Seems like you're pushing it, the typical spear is two-handed weapon to begin with; but call it what you wish its a fictional weapon. The answer to the original question is still, there is no really well known/used equivalent (which is not to say crazy people aren't there to sell you similar looking stuff).
Old 2010-01-18, 17:43   Link #3419
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Headed, not handed.

Edit: I don't know why you insist that spears with two heads can't exist. A slightly longer search indicates that they were, in fact, used. And that they are called "Shuang Tou Qiang", which I guess is Chinese for "Double Headed Spear". (I know that calling a spade a spade is not mandatory, but.)

Another guess is that kung fu practitioners spin the damn things a lot, so some of them liked not to have to worry about which end was pointed toward the enemy when the opportunity to jab him with it came.

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2010-01-18 at 18:00.
Old 2010-01-18, 17:58   Link #3420
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Most people will think of it as a sort of trident in that case. =P

Tags
problem, q&a, serious