AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-02-20, 22:53   Link #1081
Kirarakim

I personally think Tamako being the prince's bride is a red herring. Choi was with Tamako the whole time but only noticed something at the end of the episode...that makes me think she noticed something else not Tamako.
Old 2013-02-20, 22:55   Link #1082
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Old 2013-02-20, 23:03   Link #1083
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Choi is just so cute and makes Dera freak out so badly
Old 2013-02-20, 23:03   Link #1084
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-02-21 at 08:12.
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 01:00   Link #1085
Aesthetic Shampoo

Dem feels for the afro guy
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 06:05   Link #1086
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
The only thing I didn't understand about this episode was who is Sayuri-chan thinking of marrying? Does everyone already know so noone had to ask her? Or is that a cultural thing that's not done in Japan?

Choi-chan's fortune telling appears to have resulted in depressing her as she realized she was in the same position as Tomio in that, like his love for Sayuri-chan, her love for the prince "will wither before it bears fruit."
At first I thought that it was the typical anime misunderstanding where Sayuri is thinking of marrying Afro-kun but the guy doesn't realize it. However the rest of the episode doesn't seem to support this theory.

So Tamako is a bride candidate as expected, huh? My guess is that the prince will come to Japan to meet his prospective bride. Hilarity will ensue when Mochizou, Midori and Choi act all jealous. In the end the prince will realize that he always had his princess near him.
"I can already see the ending!"
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 06:19   Link #1087
Cytrus
Unchangingly Hopeless

So Tamako's hinted to be the prince's bride, but there's no chance in hell of that actually happening . Character development & plot reasons aside, that would mean half of the main cast ending up with a broken heart xD.

I'm calling it:

Tamako will show further signs of being suitable for the prince's bride, making Choi more and more depressed. They finally fix Dera, and manage to contact the prince. To everyone's (i.e. Mochizou, Midori and Choi's) distress, Tamako and the Prince seem to get along really well, like this:

Prince: Mochi? I've never eaten that kind of food, but it sounds delcious!
Tamako: Oh it is! Come stay with us so I can make you mochi every day!
Mo/Mi/Choi: ...!!!

Choi tries to smile for the two but ends up breaking down and runs away crying, seemingly unnoticed by anyone. Enter Kanna.

Kanna: You love the prince, don't you?
Choi: *sniff* It doesn't mattter if I do, you can't stop teh destiny.
Kanna: Is that so?
Choi: ...?
Kanna: To me, it sounds like an excuse to give up.
Choi: ...!

*Kanna takes out a small unidentified device, hands it over to Choi*

Kanna: This is the result of a lifetime of research, the Raw Raw Fight the Power Destiny Destroyer (R). I believe you can use it the right way.

Choi gathers her resolve for one final fight, forever proving her Way of the Tank. Stuff blows up and Mochizou is revealed to be Midori's father. Tamako doesn't exactly get what's going on, but she notices everyone's distress and finally declares that she never said she was objected to possessing a harem. The dust settles on the shopping district and things are (somewhat) settled.

Choi gives the Raw Raw Fight the Power Destiny Destroyer (R) back to Kanna only for Kanna to say that it was just a toy bought at Midori's and that the power to change destiny was always in Choi's heart. Choi thanks her with tears in her eyes and the two part.

The C part of the final episode shows Kanna coming back home and looking fondly at the real Raw Raw Fight the Power Destiny Destroyer (R) device taking up half her room.

Kanna: Turns out I didn't have to use you this time, eh?

FIN

---

I'm counting on you, Yamada.
Cytrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 08:33   Link #1088
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Wow three unrequited loves in one KyoAni series? Are they trying to achieve something here?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 08:54   Link #1089
Qilin
Romanticist

Dera is one thing, but the introduction of so many implausible elements into this show is really hurting my immersion, especially given that this is trying to be a slice-of-life show. Still, leave it to KyoAni to meld these things seamlessly into the background. I nearly forgot my initial concerns as the episode went on. Well, maybe it's just me.

In any case, it was a fun ride watching Choi's reactions to everyone's hospitality from initial suspicion to reluctant acceptance. That by itself was entertaining enough, but the real bite of the episode came from Sayuri's marriage announcement. Just seeing how it some of the characters affected and how they coped with it was enough to get me going. That's what slice-of-life should be about, I believe: A precarious balance between stability and subtle change. Well, the scene wasn't too astounding, but it was at least sincere in its delivery.

For now, it's looking like Choi will be part of the usual cast in the coming episodes. I'm not exactly sure how I should feel about that, but oh well. I expect that the prince will be showing up eventually, so things are bound to get a bit more unusual.
Old 2013-02-21, 09:06   Link #1090
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter View Post
I think it's the simple and formulaic "The prince and a faraway island, or Mochizou and the shopping district."

Especially when the series focus is on the shopping district, that's a pretty good bet imo.
Bringing up my post here.

They's slowly building it up to the finale.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 09:11   Link #1091
Kirarakim

I am kind of with Qilin here. I enjoyed Dera for the comedy aspects but this whole prince and island girl thing is bit too silly to me. I mean of course they foreshadowed it before so it doesn't come out of left field but it just doesn't fit at all to me.

I suppose they wanted to do something different from just a Japanese setting, but for me the aspects of the shopping district were the shows strengths.

Choi is supposed to be a girl from another culture but besides her strereotypical appearance she acts like a pretty typical anime girl.

I also agree that the best part of the episode was Sayuri's engagement announcement and what they did to the guy with the afro. I thought it was both touching and heart breaking how he congratulated her.
Old 2013-02-21, 11:10   Link #1092
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Man, at first I thought it was his sister, but Choi is just a fortune teller? Oh man, she's so adorable! Instantly made me like rooting for her with the prince. Heck for all we know, the reason why Dera isn't working properly is because she's unconsciously making the communications not work due to her feelings for the prince.

Which makes the end cliffhanger all the more infuriating for me. All this time they try to make us like Choi with her unrequited love, only to dash it all with Tamako being the future bride? Grrr....

Oh well, can't complain, as there seems to be direction with the plot now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Wow three unrequited loves in one KyoAni series? Are they trying to achieve something here?
You mean four?
Tofu Guy (what the hell is his name? lol) --> Sayuri
Choi --> Ooji
Midori --> Tamako
MochizouXTamako

Oh I'm sorry, you're right. It's only three.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 11:36   Link #1093
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I am kind of with Qilin here. I enjoyed Dera for the comedy aspects but this whole prince and island girl thing is bit too silly to me. I mean of course they foreshadowed it before so it doesn't come out of left field but it just doesn't fit at all to me.
I don't understand, you're basing your complaints on the fact that the existence of a perverted talking bird which shoots laser beams from its eyes makes more sense?
Old 2013-02-21, 11:42   Link #1094
Sumeragi
Banned

People always find something to complain about. They should just enjoy Tamako as it is: A for-fun show with a dash of the joys and pains of youth
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 11:57   Link #1095
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
I don't understand, you're basing your complaints on the fact that the existence of a perverted talking bird which shoots laser beams from its eyes makes more sense?
It's a matter of degree.

In any case, I'd be appalled if people do stop looking for things to complain about.
Old 2013-02-21, 12:03   Link #1096
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
You mean four?
Tofu Guy (what the hell is his name? lol) --> Sayuri
Choi --> Ooji
Midori --> Tamako
MochizouXTamako

Oh I'm sorry, you're right. It's only three.
Dera -> Shiori

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssTEss View Post
Dem feels for the afro guy
^this

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 12:08   Link #1097
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
People always find something to complain about. They should just enjoy Tamako as it is: A for-fun show with a dash of the joys and pains of youth
Or maybe people don't just feel the same way as you about the series.

On another note a talking bird that shoots laser beams isn't more realistic but I enjoyed the birds commentary, it was also only one unrealistic aspect wheras most everything about the series was down to Earth.

The island prince and fortune teller is not just unrealistic but comes off as silly & cliche to me (not to mention stereotypical). But if "cute" is all you need then go on enjoying it.
Old 2013-02-21, 12:13   Link #1098
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Or maybe people don't just feel the same way as you about the series.
That would be nitpicking on the premise of the series. But each to their own, since that never changes.
Old 2013-02-21, 12:16   Link #1099
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
That would be nitpicking on the premise of the series. But each to their own, since that never changes.
It's called a different opinion not nitpicking. I am not saying you are wrong for enjoying the new aspect of the series so I would appreciate the same courtesy.
Old 2013-02-21, 12:29   Link #1100
Sumeragi
Banned

It is my opinion that certain people are focusing on the wrong things. That's as much courtesy as can be afforded given that basically the same thing was said by those certain people. I expect reasonable people to understand this.

Tags
comedy, seinen