AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-12, 15:27   Link #861
4Tran

Lucky Star is the first show to give off the same kind of vibes as Azumanga Daioh, which is a big plus in my book. It's something that none of the other school comedies have accomplished: Pani Poni Dash, Doki Doki School Hours, School Rumble or Strawberry Marshmallow.

So far, I don't think that it's even close to having the warmth of Azumanga Daioh, but then again, it's only the first episode, so there's plenty of room for improvement. On another note, I like the style of the jokes, but I wonder if it might refer to the otaku culture too much to be effective. It doesn't seem to be a problem yet, but it may start to lean that way.
Old 2007-04-12, 15:29   Link #862
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Like Kaioshin_dono, I too am happy with the fact that not everyone's going crazy over Lucky☆Star, so we can still enjoy it in peace. Fans can be ridiculous on both sides of the spectrum. >.>

Anyway, personally my favorite part was actually when Konata was explaining how she has over a hundred friends and is in a party every night. I was eating lunch while watching the subbed version of that, and I just burst out laughing with rice and chicken in my mouth because I knew exactly where that conversation was going. Niche, yes, but it works for me.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 15:41   Link #863
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Lucky Star is the first show to give off the same kind of vibes as Azumanga Daioh, which is a big plus in my book. It's something that none of the other school comedies have accomplished: Pani Poni Dash, Doki Doki School Hours, School Rumble or Strawberry Marshmallow.
Amen to that! It's similar to Azumanga since it's more on the REAL side, no powers, super strength, super natural entities...etc. Which is also a big plus in my book, ever since I saw Azumanga I felt I wanted to watch more realistic animes like Hajime no Ippo. Though the designs are loli and MOE it doesn't matter since the way they carry themselves and the conversations to good and the reactions are well timed.
Old 2007-04-12, 15:49   Link #864
Sevaasu
My World, My Rules

geez are the voice over girls' voices actually this high? or do they receive special training or maybe even helium or something?
Sevaasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 15:50   Link #865
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Then we move on to Lucky Star and I learn from Konata that Foreigners are evil and she proceeds to beat the crap out of a western male. So now we are not only apparently subordinate to women and douches, but now we are evil "Evil Male Gaijin" and need to be taught a lesson by lolis.
Evil Gaijins are nothing new in the world of cliche in asian medias. Where were you when there were those old 1970s/1980s HK movies where foreigners and sometime japanese were portrayed in the least flattering light?
Moreover, the bunch of causasian people who goes to asian countries just to score on asian chicks does not help into getting a better perception of the "wide-eyed devils" (like some chinese people said) from an asian point of view.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 15:53   Link #866
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
or stick to the literal original "untranslated" names and leave it to the fans to look up the stuff they don't know on their own (wikipedia is your friend!).
The problem with that is that it's somewhat hit and miss. For example, I've been running through Azumanga Daioh - and I still can't find anything that explains what "Summer Service Day" is, and why that might be preferred to the start of the autumn quarter so much that Chio-chan has to do her "Motivation" spell (ep 22)...
Old 2007-04-12, 15:54   Link #867
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
This is all strictly uber-IMHO, but I personally feel that foreign otaku ought to as a matter of course develop a good knowledge of Japanese cuisine...preferably first hand experience, but otherwise from context in manga, anime, and dorama. However, I know that Japanese food can be really, well, foreign to new fans in particular and even daunting or very "alien".
So... does watching fansubbed anime make me an Otaku or something? Because I'd honestly like to avoid that label.
DannoHung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 16:05   Link #868
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
The problem with that is that it's somewhat hit and miss. For example, I've been running through Azumanga Daioh - and I still can't find anything that explains what "Summer Service Day" is, and why that might be preferred to the start of the autumn quarter so much that Chio-chan has to do her "Motivation" spell (ep 22)...
If my memory hasn't failed me yet, I'm pretty sure it's just what it sounds like: going to school for a few days during summer break for various things (not sure what things).
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 16:07   Link #869
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Dadadadadada....it's not daddy but a secret finishing move passed on to Konata Izumi!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDX1cM4Tc4c

really people can think alot of parodies for this anime and it's very fresh!!!
Old 2007-04-12, 16:19   Link #870
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody Nightingale View Post
You gotta be kidding me.....

The FUNNY thing is that Lucky Star always/originally drew their manga that way. So I'm suspecting that once again Haruhi's screen adaptation was a chronologically reverse adaptation of baseline archetypes.

I need to check the original release dates of the 4-koma strips for Lucky Star but I'm pretty sure they precede the production and airing of Haruhi.

Haruhists have to remember that the show is a *reflection* parody of anime standard archetypes built off of a science fiction light novel series that invoked many of those same motifs.

You'll note there are many differences as well as similiarities in the trio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevaasu View Post
geez are the voice over girls' voices actually this high? or do they receive special training or maybe even helium or something?
Never hung around japanese teenage girls (or japanese women for that matter), eh? They're small... they have voices that only dolphins can hear if they want to.

I married into a whole family of them and we do a lot of volunteer work with exchange students ... so I get to hear the gamut. If you'll notice via the Lucky Channel segment, they *can* do low voicing but the more excited happy they get the more ultrasonic it gets.
Old 2007-04-12, 16:24   Link #871
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

(doublepost oops)
Old 2007-04-12, 16:41   Link #872
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Never hung around japanese teenage girls (or japanese women for that matter), eh? They're small... they have voices that only dolphins can hear if they want to.

I married into a whole family of them and we do a lot of volunteer work with exchange students ... so I get to hear the gamut. If you'll notice via the Lucky Channel segment, they *can* do low voicing but the more excited happy they get the more ultrasonic it gets.
Yea I was amazed when I started watching some live action series and such that alot of thier voices just sounded like that....Kinda creepy, but very much cute.

As for the series hype and all that Kyoani nonsense...Honestly i'd never even heard of the show and didnt even touch it until A.F.K put out a sub and guessed it was worth a try. Now that I know whose animating it that explains the really great OP, but doesnt really change my overall opinion on the series so far...Mildly enjoyable with some good potential to become more entertaining later.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 17:04   Link #873
Shana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
LOL. God, good pic .
Old 2007-04-12, 17:10   Link #874
Raniie

I don't think this has been mentioned, but...

Raniie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 17:11   Link #875
Bloody Nightingale
Banzai~! Banzai~!

Gotta admit this show do good desserts during the April anime season frenzy.
Mild, but not overwhelming. Taste great after all that gravy and grills with cheese stuffings.
I guess im one of the few oddballs who actually enjoyed the food talk part eh? I like food, rather appealing to me since I usually cook my own snacks and think of those meaningless questions of eating habits as well

Nightingale's meaningless habit#1:
The art of instant noodles!
Nightingale's meaningless habit#2:
The ratio of milk and egg for scramble eggs!
Nightingale's meaningless habit#3:
.............Wait I'm not done yet O__O;

*gets dragged out by security guards*
Bloody Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 17:12   Link #876
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Where did those guys come from. God I hate that picture.
I once heard that they are a bunch of video game editors (IGN staff?) during a private viewing of an upcoming hot video game. They all get excited once the promo of said game starts. The pics are different btw, so this may only apply to one of them.

Or at least thats what I heard, dont take my word for it though. >_< !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmage View Post
Goodness, I'm glad I didn't haunt the Haruhi forums, then. I would've been scared out of liking the show.
Actually, the real dangerous place back then was the suggestions forum....

Member A= Hello guys, I am looking for an anime that....

Everyone= Watch Haruhi !

Member A= Well yes, but what I really want is a......

Everyone= Watch Haruhi !

Member A= Sorry guys, but I dont like Haruhi.

Everyone= ROOAARRR !!!!

Anyway, to go somewhat back on topic. The first I heard of this show was from blog sites, but it wasn't until the Azumanga Daioh comparison started that I actually become interested in this show.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2007-04-12 at 17:28.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 17:18   Link #877
~Tsukuyomi
[- Caramelldansen Spam -]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
You know the saying these guys are now legends on their own right LOL
Just made this...

Spoiler for 4koma:
Yeah, I never understood those 4koma guys...

Spoiler for Here is a better and fixed version:
~Tsukuyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 17:19   Link #878
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi View Post
...Mildly enjoyable with some good potential to become more entertaining later.
I can't wait until Nanako the teacher and Patricia the transfer student (funny portrayal of japanophile americans ftw!) gets in.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 17:23   Link #879
Dop
Mmmm....

Well I enjoyed it, but then again I have a bit of a soft spot for the inconsequential 'stuff happens' type of thing. At least now with the a.f.k. subs I know what the opening song is about.

Although I think arguably (I'm split between that and Kono talking about her 'friends') the funniest bit was in Lucky Channel when Akira went from bouncy and energetic to angry and embittered.

Look forward to seeing how it develops.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 17:25   Link #880
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shana View Post
LOL. God, good pic .
I can't take credit, it was in Bloody Nightengale's post from a Maids! posting.

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen