AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 46 53.49%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 31.40%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 11.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 2.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.16%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-16, 05:13   Link #141
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I believe in your first theory =) but seriously don't want to see that happen =(
Old 2007-05-16, 05:46   Link #142
FreedomMS
Sola FTW

well.. all we can make is wait for the next episode and hopefully some "mystery" are reveal if not all of us gona come out with crazy twisted theory again >.<
Old 2007-05-16, 05:55   Link #143
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

After so much time, I finally managed to allocate some time to sit down and watch Ep06 of sola properly. The following is based on [Doremi]'s fansub.

Random Thoughts on Ep06:
---- ----
  • I ended up eating my earlier words within the first minute when it was finally revealed to us who the hooded man is. Hmm... *munch, munch* sola has been making me *munch, munch* eat a lot of my words lately... *munch, munch* I haven't been this terrible with speculation since... *munch, munch* since ever.

In short, my speculation hit-rate has been woeful (abysmal even). The icing on the cake would be if Mana did turn out to be psycho. If that does happen, I wouldn't just need to eat my words, I would need to chew on my foot as well!
  • It was rather... convenient that Mana was so accepting of Matsuri's non-human status... Character trait or plot necessity? For now, I hold my judgement on this, and see how Mana plays out in the rest of the series.
  • Yes, yes... it has been said multiple times already, but it bears repeating.

"Iron Claw!"
  • I was surprised to see Aono hand-chop Koyori. What happened? Isn't she on Koyori's side or something? Or does she share Mana's obsession with having their younger siblings call them onee-chan?

Aono: "Koyori, be a good younger sibling and call Mana, "Onee-chan", just like my obedient little brother."

• Mana seems Hellbent on matchmaking Yorito and Matsuri.
  • Matsuri is a very forward lass. Of course, she has had several centuries to shed her inhibitions, but her messing with Yorito's mind is just so naughty!
  • Aono's scowl as she brought the origami-frog to life is just Grade-A. I love that type of facial expression. So scowl-ly... and yet so cute.
  • Ah Yorito... still so naive. How could you actually believe that Matsuri would fall asleep that fast?

That said, Matsuri is really, really forward and mischievous. I was laughing at Yorito's "must-grab" hand, because it made him look like he was trying to prey on Matsuri, only he was the toy all along in this scene.
  • Like Matsuri, Aono also ended up pretending to sleep in the hospital. I wonder if there is any hidden "deep symbolic" meaning behind it?
  • Yes! I got one speculation right. Yorito and Mana did get acquainted in the hospital.
  • Hearing Aono repeatedly say, "~ my little brother." made me think that she needed therapy, and lots of it, now.
  • After hearing Aono's explanation for coming out of the hospital, I wonder if she has the power to manipulate minds? It would certainly explain her hospital stay and exit. It will also lend credence to the theory that Yorito is Aono's "puppet".
  • Strange that Yorito would so willingly allow Matsuri to walk alone home... Slight plothole there. They could have at least made Mana walk with her, THEN have Matsuri ditch Mana when Yorito is not around to complain about her safety.
  • Cute.

Koyori: "I'm truly sorry, but I'm going to have to change my image of Yorito-san!"
  • Matsuri's speech about not being alone in school lends further weight to the alternative meaning of sola.
  • They made Takeshi do an old-man joke in 'preview'.

ORZ

I was also taken aback when Mayuko's reply was so... rough, like she just smoked 50 packs of cigars or something.
One of the things that drives me crazy is the lack of previews. On one hand, they get to keep their cards close to their hearts and maximise the surprise potential, but on the other hand, it limits the speculation. Then again, it helps to keep the speculation focused on current events.

This series is genuinely confounding me, in a good way. I just hope the wrap-up does justice to what we have experienced so far. At this point, sola has greatly exceeded all my prior expectations, and the mystery is one that has eluded me the most.

I give a 09/10 for this episode. Flaws include the plotholes that I mentioned above, and some questionable plot-movement.

Cheers.
Old 2007-05-16, 07:27   Link #144
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Hm? I think it is pretty obvious those scenes were "cut short" because the writer didn't want to reveal any of the bigger secrets behind them. Continuing either of the scenes and the dialogue would lead to knowledge we are not intended to have just yet
Such is indeed my assumption. But that said, the flashback still felt very uneven because of it - and as such I personally took 'points' off my episode score because of it. I'm not saying it's not done by everyone, as it often is. I just think that it could have been executed less abruptly.

Oh, and @ telliamed

That was a highly entertaining speculation. I like the way it all dovetails in nicely, at least in a possible sense, which is encouraging. Although I think in a sense, the esper-sidekick and android theory is as likely at this point!

Well. Maybe not quite. ^^

-Andiyar
Old 2007-05-16, 10:52   Link #145
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
---- ----[list][*]I ended up eating my earlier words within the first minute when it was finally revealed to us who the hooded man is. Hmm... *munch, munch* sola has been making me *munch, munch* eat a lot of my words lately... *munch, munch* I haven't been this terrible with speculation since... *munch, munch* since ever.

In short, my speculation hit-rate has been woeful (abysmal even). The icing on the cake would be if Mana did turn out to be psycho. If that does happen, I wouldn't just need to eat my words, I would need to chew on my foot as well!
I can relate to that The show is doing well at keeping its cards hidden, revealing enough to start speculating, but not nearly enough to raise these speculations noticeably above guesswork. We don't eve know what kind of powers Aono might have, and whether Matsuri has the as well.

That said - i highly believe your foot is safe, because i don't know what would it take at this point for Mana to go psycho mode. If anything, she seems genuinely supportive of Yorito x Matsuri
Old 2007-05-16, 12:10   Link #146
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
I don't think the church is that significant. And I don't follow how you think there's a European connection.

The church represents safety. Holy ground is generally considered a place of sanctuary. Takeshi chasing Matsuri away from that safe place forebodes the eventual meeting of Matsuri and Aono, and facing the unresolved conflict between them.

It also looked pretty cool with those high-intensity lights blazing through stained-glass windows.

Since everyone is sharing their crazy theories, I've got one that'll really twist your mind around...
Spoiler for insane speculation:
you need a cookie if that turns out to be the case O.o very well put together even if the "turning back into a human" part seems a bit off ~ but it can work as ive had a similar thought as well as to were yorito's parents are

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-16, 13:45   Link #147
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

I finally got around to watching the subbed version of Ep.6 to fill in the parts that I didn't understand (since my knowledge of Japanese is pretty limited).

With all the speculations and theories being posted, I got to thinking...
Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-16, 18:03   Link #148
Nemesis2124

Neat, I really like that last paragraph about the whole memories thing. It also integrates well with my own speculation, so I may have to adopt the idea. =)
Old 2007-05-16, 22:47   Link #149
aorta

I think Mana is hiding some dark secrets. She's just too nice.
Old 2007-05-16, 23:02   Link #150
Nemesis2124

Well, not everyone needs to have a dark secret you know? We'd probably have seen at least some sign by now if she did. So far she seems relegated to a supporting role to the major players and I'm kinda hoping she stays that way. The show kinda has it's plate full enough as it is. That said though, my gut tells me that she'll have at least one pivotal supportive action in the plot.
Old 2007-05-16, 23:58   Link #151
wontaek

Does anyone have any information regarding the children's song in ep. 1 and 2(?)? Not only does the melody sound very familiar, the text may contain big spoilers.
Old 2007-05-17, 00:15   Link #152
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis2124 View Post
Well, not everyone needs to have a dark secret you know? We'd probably have seen at least some sign by now if she did.
Being friends with Yorito isn't suspicious enough?
Old 2007-05-17, 01:54   Link #153
4Tran

Now that I think about it, I really like the way that Matsuri teased Yorito throughout this episode. The dinner table scene, in particular, was very well done. I really wish that we'd get more abuse of this nature than the physical abuse that we see all too much of in shounen romance shows. It really shows off the kind of difference good writing makes to an otherwise stock scene.
Old 2007-05-17, 02:07   Link #154
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

@ 4Tran,

You might want to choose your words carefully, pal. Those who didn't know better would assume that you just like to see characters being abused in general. J/K
Old 2007-05-17, 03:21   Link #155
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Great speculations from octoberasian and telliamed. I think we're getting somewhere -- just in time for Friday's broadcast. You guys covered so much that I'm sure some bits are wrong, but there seems to be a lot that could be right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Now that I think about it, I really like the way that Matsuri teased Yorito throughout this episode. The dinner table scene, in particular, was very well done. I really wish that we'd get more abuse of this nature than the physical abuse that we see all too much of in shounen romance shows. It really shows off the kind of difference good writing makes to an otherwise stock scene.
I agree. I hate the physical abuse, which for me is usually either silly or distasteful. I like the edge of affection this teasing has, too. I'll give Mamiko Noto some credit, along with the writers.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-05-17, 04:52   Link #156
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
I just realised what they did with this scene, and why Mana and Koyori reacted the way they did.

In other anime like this that are based on a game, doesn't it always seem that the writers just follow the best path? You never see the main character make the "wrong" choice. Well that's what Yorito did. Matsuri teases him and he can either (a) play along, "Hah-hah. Yeah, I guess we won't be sharing a bed then." (b) deny it, "I didn't do anything wrong. You were asking me to touch you!" (c) appeal to decency, "She's just teasing me, Mana. You know I'd never do anything like that." (d) change the subject, "Oh, uh... Koyori, do you want more carrots?"

So he goes with (b) and the girls get mad at him. Whoops, guess he shouldn't have said that. He's probably wishing he had made a save point before dinner. Too late now.
Old 2007-05-17, 07:47   Link #157
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
@ 4Tran,

You might want to choose your words carefully, pal. Those who didn't know better would assume that you just like to see characters being abused in general. J/K
Hah! The joke's on you. I do like seeing characters get abused . But only when it's A) funny, B) fun, or C) leads to interesting character development. Seeing yet another anime girl overreact doesn't do much for any of the three, but the dinner table scene satisfies both A and B.

Telliamed, that's a great observation about making the wrong choice. It's definitely a more refreshing approach.
Old 2007-05-17, 09:29   Link #158
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Hah! The joke's on you. I do like seeing characters get abused . But only when it's A) funny, B) fun, or C) leads to interesting character development. Seeing yet another anime girl overreact doesn't do much for any of the three, but the dinner table scene satisfies both A and B.

Telliamed, that's a great observation about making the wrong choice. It's definitely a more refreshing approach.
Remind me to stay FAR away from you.
Old 2007-05-17, 11:25   Link #159
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by aorta View Post
I think Mana is hiding some dark secrets. She's just too nice.
I think, that if she was, then that would be a very VERY bad move by the writer. Mana should stay the respectful non-realistic character that she is, otherwise we won't have something to compare the supernatural drama with. (like in most romance shows)

I suspect you're pointing to the Mana-Matsuri scene where the Yaka discussion took place. It's been bugging me, but honestly there really wasn't a better way to approach the issue, even if it's soo~ suspect. The alternative would be one of those scenes where Mana would go: OMFG Your Ya-- yaka! WTF iz that OMG LOL...... you get the picture.

On little question still remains, could it be Mana knows more about Aono then she lets us believe. =/ Mmm..
I mean to so quickly find stuff like Yaka, and to speak sooo... easily about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I agree. I hate the physical abuse, which for me is usually either silly or distasteful. I like the edge of affection this teasing has, too. I'll give Mamiko Noto some credit, along with the writers.
Me too... I'm all for the story to be on the edge, as far as feelings are concern, but not like that.
Old 2007-05-17, 12:26   Link #160
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
On little question still remains, could it be Mana knows more about Aono then she lets us believe. =/ Mmm..
I mean to so quickly find stuff like Yaka, and to speak sooo... easily about it.
Yorito knows Mana for only 3 months, so i don't think she is anything else than a normal girl. Granted, she did accept the truth about Matsuri far too easily... and i still can't decide whether the writers decided to be a bit lazy, or is it something more... though i am leaning towards the former.