AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-23, 02:19   Link #401
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
My god... the naming archetypes are all over the place. PUT IN MORE EFFORT, CREATOR-KUN!!

If a half-assed mecha nerd could name every character of his work either after a car or a cake, the consistency should be possible, especially with a series about WW tanks.

Rant over. Now excuse me, I need some Stug love.
There actually is a naming convention. The British crewwomen are named for tea. The StuG III's crew is named for historical figures. Others will most likely emerge.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 02:42   Link #402
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Okay my WW2 era tanknerd history has been rusty over the last few years... but aren't those 75mm's just gonna bounce off the Matilda's (relatively thick for the era) armor?
Spoiler for Manga:

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 06:43   Link #403
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

ep.3
well at now 5 girls panzer team all set yea give maho very nappy got 5 alarm clock still napping?

at least tank goodnees is here yea 5 girls tank crew won training match ok then now take on another tank school battle with twist IF they lose miho has do some "dance"?
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 06:50   Link #404
jwai

Plot armour was taken to the extreme in episode 3.

The StuG's 75mm gun should have cleanly punched through the engine deck of the PzIV. Not to mention that the Type 89 and 38(t) would have been utterly screwed when hit. Rivets, spalling and squishy crew members don't mix.

That said, I know it's not meant to be serious, but it does take more suspension of disbelief.

As an aside, I play Flames of War, which is a WW2 miniature wargame which has very good abstractions about tank stats.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 06:58   Link #405
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Question: Are the tanks' size relatively proportional and equal to the size of the real ones.... coz the girls' body are making them (the tanks) smaller looking....?

Did a quick looked in the battle. Are they using "rubber" shells? LOlsss..... Not only they brutalized the tanks even the carrier????

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-10-23 at 07:51.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 07:08   Link #406
jwai

Hard to tell, but I think its pretty close.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 07:10   Link #407
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Kinda slow poke, but I just notice they changed the tank in the ED. Guess we will have 5 EDs?
Old 2012-10-23, 08:57   Link #408
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
Plot armour was taken to the extreme in episode 3.

The StuG's 75mm gun should have cleanly punched through the engine deck of the PzIV. Not to mention that the Type 89 and 38(t) would have been utterly screwed when hit. Rivets, spalling and squishy crew members don't mix.

That said, I know it's not meant to be serious, but it does take more suspension of disbelief.
The shells are kind of odd here. That shot from the StuG did penetrate through the PzIV's armor easily, but didn't go all the way. On the other hand, the PZIV's shots are all shown to only fracture on contact with the other tanks.

I'd imagine that the shells for Senshado are specifically designed to not penetrate, otherwise you'd turn it into a true killing game, which I don't think is the intent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Question: Are the tanks' size relatively proportional and equal to the size of the real ones.... coz the girls' body are making them (the tanks) smaller looking....?
I thought it was the other way around: the girls seem to make the tanks look larger due to them being smaller. Remember that tanks aren't really as large people imagine them.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 09:00   Link #409
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Kinda dangerous letting Mako drive the tank, she might doze off and drive them off a cliff.

One line in the ep really intrigues me, it appears that in this world all schools are placed on massive carriers. Why is that?
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 10:10   Link #410
Liddo-kun
is this so?

A fairly enjoyable episode. Being cornered in a bridge by 4 tanks seems like it's impossible to win, but I guess the others aren't good at shooting yet because they're new to using tanks. And that rotating turrent of the PZIV seems to be a clear advantage over the StuG whose turret is in a fixed position.

Now we have an explanation on why 4 of the tanks are colored like that on episode 1. Looks like it's only their school that did such a thing. There's plenty enough funny moments in this episode too.

On a slightly serious topic. Their opponents on the practice match seem to have more heavily armored tanks than they have. Seems like it's an unfair match because of the difference in armor.

Can't wait for next week!
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 10:13   Link #411
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post

One line in the ep really intrigues me, it appears that in this world all schools are placed on massive carriers. Why is that?
More like entire city on massive carriers...

Over population problem? Individual colony? or maybe it's just this world logic like girls don't wear skirt in Strike Witches and we shouldn't think too much about it.
Old 2012-10-23, 10:14   Link #412
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
A fairly enjoyable episode. Being cornered in a bridge by 4 tanks seems like it's impossible to win, but I guess the others aren't good at shooting yet because they're new to using tanks.
If I were the enemy and if it were allowed.. I would have just tried to shoot the ropes of the bridge...and the rest is history...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 11:08   Link #413
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Quote:
On a slightly serious topic. Their opponents on the practice match seem to have more heavily armored tanks than they have. Seems like it's an unfair match because of the difference in armor.
Actually it seems pretty balanced. The Matilda IIs are all packing 2-pounder guns. As a result, they have very little punch per pound of armor - IIRC, they'd pretty much only be able to do anything to the Type 89 and LT-38, and maybe the Lee and StuG - that said, the Lee and StuG could likely put the Matildas out of action.

The Churchill's QF 6-pounder, however, will likely prove a considerable threat. Putting out 15+ (if the crew is as good as it seems to be, 20+) 57mm rounds per minute? If I were Oorai, I would focus on taking the Church down first, since not only could it knock out all five Oorai tanks, but do it in quick succession. The Matildas are small potatoes to the Churchill.
Old 2012-10-23, 11:20   Link #414
Liddo-kun
is this so?

@RedShocktrooper

That's some interesting info. Thanks, I have a better idea now why that big green tank (Churchill) is the main tank of the opposing team.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 11:36   Link #415
4Tran

I've only watched the first half of episode 3, and that tank combat is disappointing. It's fine to see amateurs screw up, but it's galling to see it hailed as some sort of tactical genius. I hope that the future battles will have better choreography. The M3 Lee immobilizing itself was pretty cool though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Okay my WW2 era tanknerd history has been rusty over the last few years... but aren't those 75mm's just gonna bounce off the Matilda's (relatively thick for the era) armor?
The StuG III wouldn't have any problems, and the M3's hull gun has a chance of penetrating at closer ranges. If the Pz. IV has HEAT ammunition, then it can as well. Otherwise, the Matilda II is a straight up hard counter to the club's tanks - it's basically a recreation of the Battle of Arras. Even the M3 would be at a disadvantage given its higher profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Real tanks are pretty small. The StuG III is under 2m tall, and only the M3 is taller than 3m.

Quote:
A fairly enjoyable episode. Being cornered in a bridge by 4 tanks seems like it's impossible to win, but I guess the others aren't good at shooting yet because they're new to using tanks.
It's pretty easy when you have the writer giving you the win. Alternatively, this explains why Japan has never been noted for having good tank doctrine.

Quote:
And that rotating turrent of the PZIV seems to be a clear advantage over the StuG whose turret is in a fixed position.
The StuG III doesn't have a turret. The superstructure is part of the hull, and the gun itself has a limited traverse (around 25 degrees to each side?).

The trade-off is usually worth it. Even though the Pz. IVD has a heavier chassis, the StuG IIIF has better armor protection, a much more powerful gun, and a much lower profile. Later Pz. IV variants are better, but the StuG III was viable throughout the entire war with very little additions.

In defensive roles, you generally have an idea where the enemy is going to come from, so the lack of a turret isn't as much of a disadvantage. It's also important to make sure the enemy is always firing at the front of the vehicle where the armor is strongest anyways. In an offensive role, things are a bit different, so turrets are still important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShocktrooper View Post
Actually it seems pretty balanced. The Matilda IIs are all packing 2-pounder guns. As a result, they have very little punch per pound of armor - IIRC, they'd pretty much only be able to do anything to the Type 89 and LT-38, and maybe the Lee and StuG - that said, the Lee and StuG could likely put the Matildas out of action.
The StuG IIIF has a lot more frontal armor than the Pz. IVD. The 2-pounder can knock out all of their opponents from the front except for the StuG III.
Old 2012-10-23, 11:53   Link #416
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
The StuG IIIF has a lot more frontal armor than the Pz. IVD. The 2-pounder can knock out all of their opponents from the front except for the StuG III.
True, but this once again means the Churchill becomes the centerpoint of the British team - the 6-pounder can punch through, what? Somewhere around 110mm of steel, with the Matildas on equal footing (1:1) with the Lee, StuG and Panzer IVD (That is, both can kill each other, it depends on who gets the first shot), with the StuG having the upper hand against the Tillys.

Once again, I'd try to put the Church out of action, at which point it becomes a fairer fight (the Type 89 might get a few shots in, but I don't think it would contribute too much). Remember to shoot the turret on the Churchill, Team Oorai!
Old 2012-10-23, 12:04   Link #417
eiyuu99

They could have blasted the bridge, seeing how the tank is stuck there. Restriction on property damage?
eiyuu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 12:16   Link #418
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiyuu99 View Post
They could have blasted the bridge, seeing how the tank is stuck there. Restriction on property damage?
Most likely, I'd figure.
Old 2012-10-23, 12:21   Link #419
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShocktrooper View Post
True, but this once again means the Churchill becomes the centerpoint of the British team - the 6-pounder can punch through, what? Somewhere around 110mm of steel, with the Matildas on equal footing (1:1) with the Lee, StuG and Panzer IVD (That is, both can kill each other, it depends on who gets the first shot), with the StuG having the upper hand against the Tillys.

Once again, I'd try to put the Church out of action, at which point it becomes a fairer fight (the Type 89 might get a few shots in, but I don't think it would contribute too much). Remember to shoot the turret on the Churchill, Team Oorai!
This Churchill is a Mark VII, so it has a 75mm gun, but your point stands. However, I can't agree with the Matildas. The StuG III is a lot better than they are, but both the Pz. IV and the M3 are at a significant disadvantage. The Pz. IV is inaccurate at long range while it's vulnerable to the 2-pounder from 1500m out. The M3 technically is a match, but it will almost always get fired on first because of its much higher profile. Moreover, the 75mm gun is hull-mounted, so it'll have to expose even more of target profile before getting a chance to fire.

Still, the idea of taking out the Churchill first is a good one since nothing else can do much against the StuG III - image trying to outflank it with a bunch of Matilda IIs! However, taking it out is going to be a real since it has more armor than a Tiger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiyuu99 View Post
There's probably a rule against killing people as well. The fall's one thing, but drowning in a tank is a real danger; especially with an amateur crew.
Old 2012-10-23, 12:56   Link #420
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I keep facepalming at the ita tanks. The best part was when Student Council PR girl was yelling about using camoflage... and their gold tank is shining in the sun. *facepalm*

That said, still fun. But I really want that Type-10 to go out for a spin, even though it's lolhax against everything. Also, it seems that the JGSDF recruits senshado practitioners into its formations - Chouno is said to come from some sorta tank school, and ATM the only operators of the Type-10 are the Fuji School Brigade (JGSDF's version of OPFOR, currently in addition to being OPFOR they're formulating Type-10 doctrine). Also, note her uniform, which appears correct for a female JGSDF officer (well, IRL the skirt would be a lot longer ) and she's addressed as Ichii - Captain.

That said, miniskirts are part of the official JSDF uniform? I appro-

*Goose is shot with a 120mm silver bullet*

Edit. Wait. I just had a thought.

"Weren't there schools on land before?"

...why the hell are there not schools on land? Did Fallout happen? @__@

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks