AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Nanoha - StrikerS - Episode 24 Rating
Perfect 10 25 41.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 11 18.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 15.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 11.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.33%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.33%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.67%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.67%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-10, 08:20   Link #181
Fabien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Isn't it a litte too late for that ?
Nope. If you're fed up with a series, stopping watching it is definitely the thing to do. Even if there are only two more eps, that's still 45 minutes best used watching something better.
Old 2007-09-10, 08:31   Link #182
Fabien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
he did rip off her arm.
It was the Numbers attacking her who destoyed Ginga's arm. Jail repaired it, while adding new features.
Old 2007-09-10, 08:39   Link #183
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabien View Post
Nope. If you're fed up with a series, stopping watching it is definitely the thing to do. Even if there are only two more eps, that's still 45 minutes best used watching something better.
That's just stupid. I agree that if you don't like it, don't bother.

But that's only for the early stages of the series, it's downright stupid to not see it through to the end now that you've already come this far.
Old 2007-09-10, 08:53   Link #184
Flar

Quote:
That's just stupid. I agree that if you don't like it, don't bother.

But that's only for the early stages of the series, it's downright stupid to not see it through to the end now that you've already come this far.
Beside, if you don't watch to the end you'll be accused of not having all the material it takes to really criticize after the season will have ended. Not that the problems aren't already apparent, though.

Me, I don't like it it but I watch hoping for some scene that could miraculously redeem the show. A white devil scene squared would do the trick, for example. I don't have much hopes.
Old 2007-09-10, 09:05   Link #185
Fabien

Quote:
it's downright stupid to not see it through to the end now that you've already come this far.
I really don't understand that point of vue. I'm not sarcastic or anything, I just sincerely don't understand.

If I'm buiding something, be it a piece of software or a piece of furniture, and you're near the end, of course you'll want to finish it, even if that turns out boring. Because when you've finished it, you'll have made something. You'll have both the satisfaction of having finished your work, and the piece of software or piece of furniture you've just made.

But watching an anime doesn't give you anything. Anime is just a way of having fun for a moment. If you're not having fun with a series, watching it won't give you anything, and you won't lose anything by giving up. In fact, since I'm pretty sure you have some "pending" series waiting to be watched (We all have), you'd do yourself a favor giving up on the boring one and trying another one. Even if there's only two episodes left, that's still 45 minutes, in which time you may discover a gem.

Watching an episode because you're having fun watching it, I understand.
Watching an episode because you hope the next episode will be better, I can understand (But fast-forward is your friend).
Watching an episode to come and bash it on animesuki, I can understand (But if you're good, you might be able to bash it without even watching it).
Watching a bad episode because you know the torture won't last long now, instead of stopping it right now, that I don't understand.
Old 2007-09-10, 09:06   Link #186
Fabien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
we have seen Nanoha and her Exceed form, Fate and her new sonic form, maybe in the next episode, we might get Hayate doing unison with Rein.
Seriously though, she's an ace and she's seriously getting shafted in this final battle.
No. She's seriously getting shafted in the whole season.
Old 2007-09-10, 09:10   Link #187
Fabien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flar View Post
Beside, if you don't watch to the end you'll be accused of not having all the material it takes to really criticize after the season will have ended.
So, you watch the series to be able to bash it.

Quote:
Me, I don't like it it but I watch hoping for some scene that could miraculously redeem the show.
You know about the Animesuki forum, right?
I'm pretty sure that if such a good scene appeared, you'd know it right away by reading the forum.
Old 2007-09-10, 09:21   Link #188
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
I really don't understand that point of vue. I'm not sarcastic or anything, I just sincerely don't understand.
You really don't get it huh? I swear, before this series I never thought I need to be explaining things that I thought is common knowledge...

There is no mystical hidden logic and reasoning, it's that simple; I watch it to the end no matter how miserable because I want to know the whole picture- No, I MIGHT AS WELL know the whole story rather than leave blanks here and there. That's all there is to it.

Chalk it under a habit, but I won't feel right if I just stop when the show is about to reach the finishing line.
Old 2007-09-10, 10:00   Link #189
arkhangelsk

Starting to actually watch the RAW episode

As usual. Comments as we go.

Spoiler for Cinque:
Spoiler for Caro:

Last edited by arkhangelsk; 2007-09-10 at 10:22.
Old 2007-09-10, 10:08   Link #190
Flar

Quote:
So, you watch the series to be able to bash it.
Not quite, I watch it to know what I'm talking about, because I want to know how it unfolds to the end. If it so happens that the serie is bash-worthy, so be it.

Beside, when I was negative about it around episode 10, I was told to shut up because the serie wasn't even finished, and I couldn't understand its greatness. So, it's damned if I do damned if I don't, just shut up?

Quote:
You know about the Animesuki forum, right?
I'm pretty sure that if such a good scene appeared, you'd know it right away by reading the forum.
Yeah yeah, no. I prefer to see good scene without spoilers beforehand.

Are you seriously blaming me for watching Nanoha and trying to find something to enjoy? Or is it because I am such a jerk for wanting first hand unbiased information?

Beside, what makes you think that reading animesuki is more enjoyable than watching an episode of Strikers?
Old 2007-09-10, 10:33   Link #191
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
so the insert song was used in this scene...
um, how was it "shocking"?
probably it was just the fact that Fate turned into her Sonic Form...but I think it was a waste of an insert song to be used in this episode to be honest.
It's kinda shocking if you think about it with the lyrics of "Pray".

The lyrics of "Pray" describes a weak and fragile person on the verge of giving up but found strength to continue his/her struggle and to protect many many people he/she love. Originally I thought this would be more of a song for Subaru as that's what the character of Subaru is about all along StrikerS. Instead it turned into a song for Fate, when she was losing hope, believes and direction and was cheered on by her "children" Caro and Erio. It sort of paints Fate in a different light - as the grown up and composed image she had all along in StrikerS is really not quite true and that she's still the same fragile child and her past and origin contiues to haunts her.

In the end though, the reason the impact was lessened I would chalk up with the pacing of the story (same old) - we really didn't get much of the "sibling time" between her and Caro/Erio, nor enough insight of Fate's fear of her past and the hopelessness of the current situation at hand to completely get the full impact of the songs implications, as most of the stuff is just thrown at the viewer in the last minutes of this episode without any sort of proper buildup.
Old 2007-09-10, 10:42   Link #192
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
In the end though, the reason the impact was lessened I would chalk up with the pacing of the story (same old) - we really didn't get much of the "sibling time" between her and Caro/Erio, nor enough insight of Fate's fear of her past and the hopelessness of the current situation at hand to completely get the full impact of the songs implications, as most of the stuff is just thrown at the viewer in the last minutes of this episode without any sort of proper buildup.
It was there... well, not the Fate's fear of the past thing.

In SS02. It painted an emotional light in Erio/Caro and Fate's relationship, touching on each of their own insecurities, Fate as a mother/sister-figure (( going around asking advices on how to be a good guardian )) along with Erio and Caro's self-reflection on their roles.

Once again, I chalk this up to Vivio taking away the Fate time that could've been spent elsewhere. It's not like Fate has any real drama worth associating with Vivio.

However, I do agree that the fear and distaste of Jail in the twisted kindred sense, was very loosely executed on a assume to believe basis. Although her hate of such criminals need not genuine development, we never really saw an proper insight on how she really thought about Jail along with his close links to Project F, that tied to her and Precia, along with other aspects of her 'chemistry' with Jail.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-09-10, 10:48   Link #193
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post

In SS02.
Sweet. But a SS does not really count, and you know it. A SS is a bonus, nothing more. Quite frankly, while the explanation of the lyrics (I can hear a fair bit of the anime, but lyrics are still beyond me) made it a little better, the whole thing was so ... uh, crude that I was literally convulsing by the end.
Old 2007-09-10, 10:51   Link #194
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:

In SS02. It painted an emotional light in Erio/Caro and Fate's relationship, touching on each of their own insecurities, Fate as a mother/sister-figure (( going around asking advices on how to be a good guardian )) along with Erio and Caro's self-reflection on their roles.
In SS might as well be counted as "not in there" - I don't mind so much that CD dramas adding extra depth to characters, but something to this degree of importance to the character development should've been given proper screentime and not be regulated to "lolz buy the drama CDs to get the full story!" - as not everyone (even in Japan) will be that dedicated to buy these things. StrikerS really went over the line with its cross-media development this time IMO and I can just smell the greed.

The thing I found ironic is, thus far from what I've heard on the SS CDs (only SS01) it seems to have more "meat" to it than some of the damn training episodes, it sort of boggles my mind why they didn't swap the writings around - animate these mini-episodes from the drama and have the training talk on the CDs.
Old 2007-09-10, 10:56   Link #195
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
The thing I found ironic is, thus far from what I've heard on the SS CDs (only SS01) it seems to have more "meat" to it than some of the damn training episodes, it sort of boggles my mind why they didn't swap the writings around - animate these mini-episodes from the drama and have the training talk on the CDs.
My personal theory is always that they thought they'd have plenty of time for such scenes.

Besides, to be fair, no one will buy CDs with training talk, so that's a no-go idea. Maybe it could have been offloaded onto the SS light novel, though.
Old 2007-09-10, 11:02   Link #196
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
My personal theory is always that they thought they'd have plenty of time for such scenes.

Besides, to be fair, no one will buy CDs with training talk, so that's a no-go idea. Maybe it could have been offloaded onto the SS light novel, though.
You know, I can say the same about SS01. Who buys Drama CDs with holidays, revisiting old cast members, and ONSEN without animation or even stills/images? I mean, the ONLY place we saw timeskip Suzuka and Arisa is in ONE magazine spread.

But I agree somewhat on the meat thing. Parts of SS02 felt for one more 'impactful' than some of those 'plot/slow' episodes. The cross-talk on Fate/Lindy/Arf/Caro/Erio had more character substance for Fate,Erio and Caro since... forever. Well, at least it had more substance that Erio suddenly having flashbacks, or Fate going STFU at Numbers. Had it been actually animated, it'd make this episode look a lot better as well, since the dramatic touch was already there.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-09-10, 11:40   Link #197
Fabien

Quote:
Not quite, I watch it to know what I'm talking about, because I want to know how it unfolds to the end.
OK.
Spoiler for the end:

Quote:
Are you seriously blaming me
Nope. I'm not blaming anyone. I'm just trying to understand, and to exchange points of vue.

Quote:
for watching Nanoha and trying to find something to enjoy?
No. If you think you might find something to enjoy in the second half of StrikerS, go ahead. Don't get your hopes too high though.

Quote:
I am such a jerk
If a poster starts insulting other posters, then the discussion ends -- what's left is just a meaningless flamewar.

Quote:
Beside, what makes you think that reading animesuki is more enjoyable than watching an episode of Strikers?
Well, it is for me (at least for episodes 16+).

But anyway, since you're reading the forum already, the choice is not reading-Animesuki vs watching-StrikerS, but watching StrikerS vs not watching it.
Old 2007-09-10, 11:51   Link #198
azuma-blade
The Dominant

Send a message via Yahoo to azuma-blade
Quote:
Most likely, yes. The only ones with a 120% confirmation are Uno and Quattro, since they're the ones shown to touch themselves.
Blade: GALEON !!!!!! FIRE ALL ASTRAL SOUL'S LASER CANNONS AT JAIL
Galeon: Yes sir!

Dr. Jail: *sweatdrops*

Blade: DISAPPEAR FROM MY SIGHT Dr. JAIL ASTRAL BREAKER!!!!!

*sends Dr. Jail to the underworld*
Old 2007-09-10, 12:02   Link #199
Fabien

Quote:
You really don't get it huh?
Indeed, I have a hard time understanding. But I do try.

Quote:
I swear, before this series I never thought I need to be explaining things that I thought is common knowledge...
I don't know about that kind of common knowledge.

If, in a rather good series, and episode turns out bad, well, I just skip to the next.
If the last few episodes of a nice series are rather bad (which happens quite often -- it's difficult to end a series properly), I just forget about it or fast-forward.
Watching anime is meant to be fun; if an episode isn't good, there's no point in watching it.
That seems like common sense to me.

Quote:
No, I MIGHT AS WELL know the whole story
(Since you put an emphasis, let's answer this specific point)
You might as well forget about it too.
A short duration is not a good enough reason to do something.

Quote:
I watch it to the end no matter how miserable because I want to know the whole picture- No, I MIGHT AS WELL know the whole story rather than leave blanks here and there.
If the end of the series is "Deus Ex Machina, Good Guys win, and plot holes stay that way", will you be more satisfied than if you just gave up before?

Sometimes an author starts a story (anime, novel, fanfic, whatever), and doesn't know how to end it properly, or doesn't have enough time, or the editor doesn't agree with the proposed end. When that happens, either the story is halted (often seen in fanfics), or the author rushes an end as well as he can given the circumstances. The former is better (but usually impossible with a TV series), but anyway, watching or reading a painful end, without much explained, due to an author block, doesn't seem useful to me.

Quote:
Chalk it under a habit, but I won't feel right if I just stop when the show is about to reach the finishing line.
If it's just a habit of yours, I can understand -- we all have habits, and don't like to change them.
But then, I'm sure you'll understand that some people might have different points of vue.
Old 2007-09-10, 12:07   Link #200
Fabien

Quote:
You know, I can say the same about SS01. Who buys Drama CDs with holidays, revisiting old cast members, and ONSEN without animation or even stills/images?
Well, MGLN SS1 took place in a swimming-pool, and A's SS1 in a public bath. So I suppose it sells.
Closed Thread