AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-18, 23:34   Link #41
Flare_Dragon

If uguu is changed, I wonder how the Yuuichi "Uguuu..." Attempt will sound pretty gay...

"Darrrnnn... "
Old 2007-07-19, 00:36   Link #42
Robotnik
Not a member

At this point I'm tempted to start taking bets on whether "~uguu" gets replaced if Kanon gets licensed and dubbed. I bet it stays, like I've been saying all along.

Either that or do a poll:
"What will ~uguu be replaced with?"
* phooey
* darn
* <additional lame entries>

Or maybe whoever licenses Kanon will get everything *but* "~uguu" due to legal problems with Toei over not wanting their version. They'll try to replace "~uguu" with "~nyuu" and the Digi Charat people will sue because it's too similar to "nya," "nyo" and the rest. Finally, they must resort to censor-bleeping "~uguu" in the English dub.

Old 2007-07-19, 00:49   Link #43
DanielSong39

If they replace ~uguu with ~nyuu I think Nayuki will sue before the Digi Charat people do...

I do like the idea of "phooey", but not holding out any hopes for that one.
Old 2007-07-19, 10:17   Link #44
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

ADV left 'gao' and 'nihaha' alone in AIR... why would they mess with 'uguu'?
Old 2007-07-19, 17:15   Link #45
Robotnik
Not a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
ADV left 'gao' and 'nihaha' alone in AIR... why would they mess with 'uguu'?
I haven't watched the Air TV preview yet - is this confirmed?

At this point I think people are just enjoying messing around with the thought of "what will uguu be replaced with." I'm sick of repeating myself on why I think it's a safe bet that they'll keep it in, but whatever.
Old 2007-07-19, 21:29   Link #46
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotnik View Post
I haven't watched the Air TV preview yet - is this confirmed?
It isn't, but I doubt ADV would specifically state that they were leaving it in and then go ahead and change it anyway.
Old 2007-07-23, 08:46   Link #47
FireChick

I wonder if ADV is gonna license both the original and remake of Kanon?
Old 2007-07-29, 03:23   Link #48
nekokaburi

i watched episode 1 of air off my newtype USA preview disc today... you can rest assured and count it as confirmed, since the "agow" or how ever you say it, part is left in on the english dub... (i noticed particularly, since it instantly reminded me of 'uguu' from kanon, i haven't seen air yet)... p.s. monica rial does her voice... cuteness overload or what...

there would be no way to translate it, since it's just a noise that she makes, and it means nothing in either english or japanese... it's the same as how 'unyuu' was left in on the rozen maiden english dub...

so if ADV licence kanon, then i'd say it'd be a safe bet that 'uguu' and 'aioou' (or what ever that other noise was) will be left in...
Old 2007-07-29, 19:53   Link #49
NibelungTaisa
freshly noob

i say just leave the uggu~~, auu~~, and nyuu~~ alone since they are not real words and doesnt really need to be dubbed, just like they left pika alone...actually maybe i should see if they should leave it alone or not after seeing the dubbed air when it comes out...and if the original "gao" fits in with the rest of misuzu's speech...kanon 2006, i will definately buy...kanon 2002, nope
Old 2007-07-30, 03:26   Link #50
nekokaburi

how exactly would a word that doesn't mean anything fit in better with one language but not in the next? just curious...

how much difference is there between kanon 06 and 02? i've been watching kanon 06 and i think it's great, so i'm hoping, if any of them get licenced that that one will, cos i've already seen part of it... but i'm too lazy to watch kanon 02...
Old 2007-07-30, 10:11   Link #51
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokaburi View Post
how exactly would a word that doesn't mean anything fit in better with one language but not in the next? just curious...

how much difference is there between kanon 06 and 02? i've been watching kanon 06 and i think it's great, so i'm hoping, if any of them get licenced that that one will, cos i've already seen part of it... but i'm too lazy to watch kanon 02...
Kanon 02 focuses much less in character development IMHO, so I think 06 is way better, but that is just my opinion
Old 2007-07-30, 12:38   Link #52
DanielSong39

My opinion? Kanon 02 has better music, pacing, and focus on the central story. Kanon 06 has better animation and is truer to the source material.

I would give both versions a shot before coming to any definitive conclusions.
Old 2007-07-30, 19:36   Link #53
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
My opinion? Kanon 02 has better music, pacing, and focus on the central story. Kanon 06 has better animation and is truer to the source material.

I would give both versions a shot before coming to any definitive conclusions.
I agree here.

I wrote something a bit more detailed, including what I see as being the same and different between both adaptations and rationales for watching either one here.

--Ian.
Old 2007-08-05, 08:11   Link #54
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

Wonder if Crispin Freeman will be Yuuchi's english VA?

It would make sense since at least 2 of his previous roles were originally voiced by Tomokazu Sugita (Hideki Motosuwa from Chobits and Kyon from MoHS).
Old 2007-08-07, 17:09   Link #55
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Has this been mentioned yet?
Old 2007-08-07, 17:59   Link #56
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Has this been mentioned yet?
Interesting... and the rumors roll on...

Old 2007-08-07, 18:21   Link #57
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

Finally, they may resort to censor-bleeping "~uguu" in the English dub.

Bad move. Due to the large amount of "~uguu"'s and the SHEER amount of "~auu"s, you'll be hearing bleeps every half a second or so.
Old 2007-08-08, 01:31   Link #58
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

That seals it. It's pretty much certain that ADV has it and it appears an announcement is only a matter of time.

Good times, good times.
Old 2007-08-08, 08:13   Link #59
nekokaburi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HashiriyaGDB View Post
Finally, they may resort to censor-bleeping "~uguu" in the English dub.

Bad move. Due to the large amount of "~uguu"'s and the SHEER amount of "~auu"s, you'll be hearing bleeps every half a second or so.
i'm curious as to where this line of thinking comes from?... why exactly would they bleep part of the dialogue? they (ADV. i think we can safely asume ADV are licenecing it if anyone is) left the "gao's" in the Air dub... so why would "Uguu" in kanon be any different...

this isn't like the "desu's" in rozen maiden... which are an overused, mispronounced piece of the japanese language that actually has a meaning...

the word ('uguu') doesn't meen anything in japanese, so there is no translation for it... it's a "baby talk" word that means nothing... so it can be a baby talk word that means nothing in english too... and it probably will be... especially concidering it's the 'trademark' phrase of the show...

re: teaser trailor ("teaser trailor"... pffft! as if anyone who's seen 2 epsiodes of kanon couldn't tell that was kanon... so it's half confirming what everyone already knows...)

this is great news... tho i'm liking what i've seen from air so far... i did watch (half of) kanon first... so i'll definatly invest in this if it comes out...

well done ADV... you're gonna send me broke in no time (this will make the 15th series i'm collecting... )... but well done
Old 2007-08-08, 11:03   Link #60
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Anime on DVD.com Tuesday, August 7, 2007:
Quote:
ADV Films on Kanon 2006? (06:48 PM EDT): Nothing official, but could it can't get too much more probable than the low and high bandwidth trailers that are available on the ADV Films site. There was a quicktime version as well but that appears to no longer be working.
Closed Thread