3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.71%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.71%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.13%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-09-17, 15:23   Link #301
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yes you're correct. Followed by Senjougahara's shower scene at the start of the second episode.
brings a big smile to my face ooohhhh yeaaaaa. I loved both those scenes i love both girls................*goes off to watch both episodes again*
Old 2009-09-17, 15:27   Link #302
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
brings a big smile to my face ooohhhh yeaaaaa. I loved both those scenes i love both girls................*goes off to watch both episodes again*
while the sounds comming from your room go,

fap fap fap fap fap
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 18:16   Link #303
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Just a few short observations:

1. The Kanbaru/Araragi team is starting to grow on me. While I certainly missed Hitagi, I didn't miss her this episode as much as I did in the last episode.

2. Good plot and solid dialogue overall. This story really managed to drag me in.

3. New OP was nice. I like how stylistically different each of the OPs are from one another.

4. Nice suspenseful action here.

5. Liked seeing the further fleshing out of supremely self-sacrificing Araragi. Nice to see him admit to himself (and others) that he's kind of taking it a bit too far. Nonetheless, it's an element to his character that is very compelling to me. It's exceedingly rare to see a character of Araragi's character type be this much of a death-defying do-anything-to-save-anybody risk-taker.

6. And, as others here alluded to... we got SHAFTed! Shaft really went overboard with the color textboxes, and the fight with the invisible snake could have been handled a lot better as far as visuals are concerned.

Nonetheless... after Endless Eight over in Haruhi, something like this is nowhere near enough to make me rage.

I'm actually giving this 8/10. However, if we get SHAFTed again next episode, I'll be less forgiving that time.
Old 2009-09-18, 02:30   Link #304
nickwan.exe
Kallen's Lover

Send a message via AIM to nickwan.exe
here are the only good things about this arc:
- loli nadeko
- gaijin 4koma reference
- renai circulation

and that's it. the animation was pretty low-quality, and the story was boringly straight-forward.
also, lack of senjougahara was a pretty low blow.
nickwan.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-18, 08:07   Link #305
aorta

I thought it was [black]. The best part was when [red].

Even with the cuts, I thought this episode was just as watchable as any of the other episodes. I guess I'm finally getting used to the style of the show and just enjoy it for what it is.

Does anyone know what the ofuda meant? It looked like crop circles to me.
Old 2009-09-18, 20:46   Link #306
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

No, Shaft.... You weren't being obvious at all that you wanted to save budget on this episode .

Even though that is true, Bakemonogatari is still good enough alone with its dialog to still earn an 8/10 this episode.

I'm just wondering if the last few episodes of this series will finally focus on our male protagonist or just another girl. While I prefer the former as an ending to the season, I think we'll get the latter...

Pardon my ignorance, but are there still a lot of novels to cover or manga for this series?
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-18, 22:10   Link #307
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but are there still a lot of novels to cover or manga for this series?
There are only 2 novels that carry the title Bakemonogatari and the anime will cover the entirety of those two, but there are a few other -monogatari novels in the same continuity with the same characters. There's Kizumonogatari which is a single volume prequel and Nisemonogatari which has two volumes. As well as the yet-to-be-released Kabukimonogatari and Nekomonogatari.

So yeah, there's still quite a bit of material if they choose to adapt them.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 00:05   Link #308
EGFontanilla
Charming General Person

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but when Araragi and Kanbaru were talking about Sengoku killing snakes at the shrine causing the curse, Kanbaru's left hand wasn't bandaged and looked perfectly fine when she was leaning against the wall. Oshino said her arm would heal when she was 20, and I'm pretty sure they're only maybe a couple weeks past Kanbaru's arc.

EDIT - Well, I continued watching the episode and it seemed that her bandages have returned. Heheh, how careless of you, Shaft. But, I love how they used RC instrumental as the BGM for the flashbacks. Friggin' heck .. if I listen to Renai Circulation anymore than I already have, I might implode from an overdose of kawaii .. XuX

EDIT 2 - Sengoku has to be in my top 5 favourite characters of all time. She's super kawaii, I love her story, her opening theme is awesome, and she appeals to my moes; especially in that swimming suit. (I'm a guy, don't hate. xP)

Last edited by EGFontanilla; 2009-09-20 at 00:36.
EGFontanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-21, 04:00   Link #309
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

I postulated in the eps 09 thread that Nadeko has a thing for Araragi and this eps confirmed it.

Given my line of thinking that Nadeko is the biggest perv so far, the scene where she kneeled down to pray after hearing from Kanbaru that Araragi has a thing for swimsuited girls was particularly pointed. She sat there repeating for her sempai to look at her, to really look at her. Given that she is apparently wrapped with snakes, (which under Freudian and Jungian psychology often symbolize male "members", although the meaning of the symbol differs case to case), The idea that she wants so desperately for the one she is infatuated with (but wants as a "brother") to see her bound by phalluses is particularly kinky.

I also think that Kanbaru, who takes such pseudosexual delight in seeing Araragi squirm, understood Nadeko's peccadilloes every bit as much as she understands Araragi's. TO this point, she purposely brought the swimsuit in an attempt to satisfy them both and possibly get Araragi to be rejected by Hitagi once she finds out about the situation... leaving Hitagi available to Kanbaru once again...

Twisted stuff...
Mughi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-21, 08:45   Link #310
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
I postulated in the eps 09 thread that Nadeko has a thing for Araragi and this eps confirmed it.

Given my line of thinking that Nadeko is the biggest perv so far, the scene where she kneeled down to pray after hearing from Kanbaru that Araragi has a thing for swimsuited girls was particularly pointed. She sat there repeating for her sempai to look at her, to really look at her. Given that she is apparently wrapped with snakes, (which under Freudian and Jungian psychology often symbolize male "members", although the meaning of the symbol differs case to case), The idea that she wants so desperately for the one she is infatuated with (but wants as a "brother") to see her bound by phalluses is particularly kinky.

I also think that Kanbaru, who takes such pseudosexual delight in seeing Araragi squirm, understood Nadeko's peccadilloes every bit as much as she understands Araragi's. TO this point, she purposely brought the swimsuit in an attempt to satisfy them both and possibly get Araragi to be rejected by Hitagi once she finds out about the situation... leaving Hitagi available to Kanbaru once again...

Twisted stuff...
1. Kanbaru likes Araragi.

2. Kanbaru owes Araragi. Thus she will never do anything to ruin the relationship Senjougahara has with him. Araragi is the reason Kanaru is once gain best friends with Hitagi. If it were not for him Hitagi would not have been cured and she would not have reconciled with Kanbaru either.

3. Kanbaru would loose every thing. Simply put. If Hitagi were betrayed by Koyomi, Hitagi would return to her old self, which will mean she will shut down and close out the world including Kanbaru. In order to protect Hitagi, Kanbaru has to protect Koyomi since he is #1 in Hitagi's heart.

That is why she pushed him out of the way from the snake... at risk to her own life.

By extension, because she loves Hitagi, she has also come to love Koyomi.
Old 2009-09-21, 10:33   Link #311
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
1. Kanbaru likes Araragi.

2. Kanbaru owes Araragi. Thus she will never do anything to ruin the relationship Senjougahara has with him. Araragi is the reason Kanaru is once gain best friends with Hitagi. If it were not for him Hitagi would not have been cured and she would not have reconciled with Kanbaru either.

3. Kanbaru would loose every thing. Simply put. If Hitagi were betrayed by Koyomi, Hitagi would return to her old self, which will mean she will shut down and close out the world including Kanbaru. In order to protect Hitagi, Kanbaru has to protect Koyomi since he is #1 in Hitagi's heart.

That is why she pushed him out of the way from the snake... at risk to her own life.

By extension, because she loves Hitagi, she has also come to love Koyomi.
Sounds like Q.E.D. to me...

OK, I can agree with that, but I still say Nadeko is the biggest perv of the show so far. Her looks don't fool me!
Old 2009-09-21, 12:02   Link #312
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Sounds like Q.E.D. to me...

OK, I can agree with that, but I still say Nadeko is the biggest perv of the show so far. Her looks don't fool me!

Define pervert as it pertains to Sengoku Nadeko ?
Old 2009-09-21, 12:57   Link #313
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Quote:
Define pervert as it pertains to Sengoku Nadeko ?
see my comment here:
Old 2009-09-21, 14:19   Link #314
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
I could not have agreed more. Inspired stuff, sir.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-21, 15:09   Link #315
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
So your saying she got her kicks out of this ?

Or she wants Koyomi to get kicks from her ?
Old 2009-09-21, 18:06   Link #316
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Quote:
So your saying she got her kicks out of this ?

Or she wants Koyomi to get kicks from her ?
I'm saying the former, while the latter would be a boon from her perspective.
Old 2009-09-21, 19:13   Link #317
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
I'm saying the former, while the latter would be a boon from her perspective.
At the time of her stress and "ugly body problem", I say it was more to help her self confidence than get kicks.

She wanted the man she desires to look at her and not find her disgusting.

However I am sure it soon became a kicks thing when she started to focus on how she feels about koyomi (at the shrine during prayer) once she felt he didn't scorn her.

None of these girls (same for real life women) emotions are simple to truly define. They have many layers at the same time

When a woman respectsyou and also likes you, she wants your eyes to be all over her body. She wants you to watch her to fuel the affection she has for you.

I highlight and underline the respect part because its an integral element. In the show and also in real life.

In real life, if there is no respect, even if she likes you, if you look at her too often she will call you a pervert and loath you for it.

However if she respects you as well as likes you, you can do no wrong with your eyes. She will do things and allow you to do things to her that will shock Hugh Hefner.
Old 2009-09-21, 19:20   Link #318
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Wink

Quote:
At the time of her stress and "ugly body problem", I say it was more to help her self confidence than get kicks.

She wanted the man she desires to look at her and not find her disgusting.

However I am sure it soon became a kicks thing when she started to focus on how she feels about koyomi (at the shrine during prayer) once she felt he didn't scorn her.

None of these girls (same for real life women) emotions are simple to truly define. They have many layers at the same time

When a woman respectsyou and also likes you, she wants your eyes to be all over her body. She wants you to watch her to fuel the affection she has for you.

I highlight and underline the respect part because its an integral element. In the show and also in real life.

In real life, if there is no respect, even if she likes you, if you look at her too often she will call you a pervert and loath you for it.

However if she respects you as well as likes you, you can do no wrong with your eyes. She will do things and allow you to do things to her that will shock Hugh Hefner.

Well of course this is all true, and I know it first hand from experience. But its not just average from the perspective of her calling him "Brother!" That's the pervy, incestuous part that even the other girls in this series haven't jumped to.
Old 2009-09-21, 20:32   Link #319
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Well of course this is all true, and I know it first hand from experience. But its not just average from the perspective of her calling him "Brother!" That's the pervy, incestuous part that even the other girls in this series haven't jumped to.
1. It is the only way she can conveniently get to use his first name and still maintain proper Japanese etiquette.

2. It is the only method she has to feel close to him... in a familiar way.

3. Onni chan is what younger girls are allowed to and sometimes tend to call older boys. Even if they are not true blood relatives. In fact just neighbors or acquaintances. Its not really a pervy thing its a cultural thing.

Even though Nadekos reason for doing it are as you say pervy... "she's always wanted an older brother" perhaps to feed the desire to have a brother complex, it is socially acceptable.

Its like a Korean girl will call her boyfriend oopa... even though that can translate to roughly mean brother. Analogous to Japan, where your age and standing come with all kinds of salutations and such. Even among kids the rules are there.
Old 2009-09-21, 20:37   Link #320
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
3. Onni chan is what younger girls are allowed to and sometimes tend to call older boys. Even if they are not true blood relatives. In fact just neighbors or acquaintances. Its not really a pervy thing its a cultural thing.
Not just girls, either. In both Chinese and Japanese, words that are technically family terms are frequently used to speak to acquaintances. If there's someone who is older than you but not a generation older than you, you could call them "onii-san" or "onee-san," (mostly limited to kids from what I've seen, but I could be wrong); people a generation or more older than you are "ojii-san" or "obaa-san" (uncle and aunt), etc. Same thing in Chinese with ge1g1e, jie3jie3, shu1shu1, and a1yi2.

The whole "onii-chan" thing has sorta become an otaku fetish though. XD