AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2009-12-26, 18:46   Link #221
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki View Post
.... I'm speechless.... as I don't know how a terrible 80s commercial illustrates anything as they were ALL terrible, but here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orn_9v-v0tA
Are you kidding? That ad was AWESOME! Moreover, it seemed to have been made by people who knew what Mospeada was about, unlike to Robotech ads.

Quote:
It's ignorance like this that just never goes away. People just love to ignore its huge influence and popularity/accepting that helped push anime in its current state, and despite the fact that it created the longest on-going anime mag (Protoculture Addicts) that I used to read like a madman. And they tend to forget that all three versions of the show are now and have been available in its "original" states.

But fans like that all they see is a few name changes and some stuff switched and automatically assume its been butchered to death without realizing the stuff that made all the shows so great were still intact, hell Next Generation (MOSEPEDA) wasn't even edited much at all nude scene between Scott Bernard... I'm sorry I mean.. "Stick Bernard" and Marlene... erm.. I mean "Aisha" still aired on TV in all its glory I have it recorded on my VHS tapes still, but it was removed in later boradcasts. But theres so much misconception that the mob mentality takes over and no one wants to figure out whats really "butchered" or why. And ANYONE and I mean ANYONE whom remembers the 80s vividly knows why ROBOTECH had to be created.
Oh believe me, I was there. I watched Robotech on its first run (I even saw "Codename: Robotech" when it aired).

The difference is, A) it wasn't the first anime I ever saw (I had seen Speed Racer, Battle of the Planets, and Star Blazers previously), and B) I already had some Macross merchandise before Robotech started airing. A few trips to L.A.' s Little Tokyo area (and the toy stores therein) made me realize that what we were seeing with Robotech was not at all what was originally intended.

Battle of the Planets was a worse hackjob, no doubt about it. Star Blazers was (I think) a little bit better, since they didn't have weld unrelated stories together to make it. Yes, Robotech left a lot of the violence and drinking in, but at the cost of changing ALL of the backstory, and saddling Macross with two relatively pedestrian series.

And yes, as you say, Macross, Southern Cross, and Mosepada are all available in the US, but what of Macross 7? Zero? Frontier? The reason Macross fans get up in arms about Robotech (whereas Gatchaman fans don't get angry about battle of the Planets) is, I believe for two reasons: First, there is no one out there arguing that Battle of the Planets was anything other than an embarrassment, but there ARE Robotech fans out there claiming that RT is "epic" while Macross is not; and second, Macross (unlike Gatchaman, Mach Go-Go-Go, Yamato (arguably), Golion, or anything else that got brought over) is a vibrant, ongoing franchise, and its one thats undergoing a great resurgence of popularity right now.

So yeah, I understand why it was created the way it was...I just don't understand why anyone STILL cares about it.

Quote:
Its funny earlier this year when I visited Japan I was with some friends and we were looking at blurays and saw the Macross Frontier ones. And I asked my friends if they ever seen the ROBOTECH adpation, and not only have they seen it, they take it Macross as canon, and apparently thats what a lot of fans have done. According to them Protoculture their Midichlorians Since its such a complex concept that takes a lot of away from the show sometimes.
Your experience is VERY different from mine. One of my Japanese friends who likes Macross lived in China for awhile, and was exposed to Robotech there. He hated it. One of my other Japanese friends decided to investigate Robotech, because she wanted to see the "American version" of Macross. She thought it was stupid. I had some chinese friends who really liked Robotech until I showed the Macross Zero, and then they swtiched their loyalties quite quickly.

So yeah, I don't know which one of us had the more average experience, but to imply that Japanese fans love Robotech...I just don't think that's accurate.

Quote:
But ya... Harmony Gold and all involved are douchebags.
I'll give ya that one.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 01:49   Link #222
glyph

Quote:
But fans like that all they see is a few name changes and some stuff switched and automatically assume its been butchered to death without realizing the stuff that made all the shows so great were still intact, hell Next Generation (MOSEPEDA) wasn't even edited much at all nude scene between Scott Bernard... I'm sorry I mean.. "Stick Bernard" and Marlene... erm.. I mean "Aisha" still aired on TV in all its glory I have it recorded on my VHS tapes still, but it was removed in later boradcasts. But theres so much misconception that the mob mentality takes over and no one wants to figure out whats really "butchered" or why. And ANYONE and I mean ANYONE whom remembers the 80s vividly knows why ROBOTECH had to be created.
I see you conveniently forgot Southern Cross back there, which is what most people (rightly) claim took the brunt of the "butchering".

I don't know about "mob mentality", but just one reason I prefer Macross to Robotech the First Generation, is that when I watch the episode where Hikaru launches to fight in the final battle where Boddole Zer orders the planetary bombardment of the Earth, I don't think "decades down the road, things will come full circle and this guy will be on the other side of the guns".

Nothing but the names were changed to protect the innocent?

Quote:
.... I'm speechless.... as I don't know how a terrible 80s commercial illustrates anything as they were ALL terrible, but here's one:
"The Zentraedi are evil through and through" bit may not reflect the true image intended in HG's adaptation, but it's a painful reminder how Robotech tends to dumb down the plot issues and characters into black and white caricatures of the original plot and characters. Sentinels, as an original work, showcases this in the worst way, in that the original major villains are all complete monsters.

Last edited by glyph; 2009-12-27 at 02:26.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 12:45   Link #223
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Are you kidding? That ad was AWESOME! Moreover, it seemed to have been made by people who knew what Mospeada was about, unlike to Robotech ads.
Holy shit! I remember that commercial! Haha, you have no idea how much I wanted one of those when I was a child! Hell, those rare metal-cast ones were the bomb!

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 12:34   Link #224
Kylegoblue

Quote:
It didn't tarnish Macross' name at all, ROBOTECH was the FIRST anime (yes I went there) I ever saw. And it completely changed my life as a 10 yearold back when it aired on KTLA.

Everything that stems from the original Macross, the emotional connection, the views of love, relationships, duty, death and morals are still present. The beauty of music and the debates of peace vs. war or civilians vs military, the resilience of man and the amazing power of the human spirit are still present, the core of Macross was left untouched.

..... No, Macross' name was not tarnished the least bit. And I still thank Macek everytime I see him for doing what he did to get that show out here for western audiences. And if I were in his shoes I would of done the exact same.
I had the exact same experience as a kid. Robotech was solely responsible for introducing me to the anime genre. I don't really feel the need to go back and rewatch it because it is simplified somewhat for kids; but I'll always appreciate it and still love the characters' voices and some of the music.

I feel like I can appreciate both in their own way. I really don't understand why people on both sides of the debate feel like they have to rain on the others parade. And yes, that commercial was tight. I wanted one of those toy cyclones in the worst way.
Kylegoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-19, 16:35   Link #225
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

SDF-1 Macross Cake Featured at Sega Manager's Wedding

Seriously, best wedding cake ever.
Old 2010-10-19, 21:55   Link #226
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Does it taste gorgeous? Delicious?
Old 2010-10-20, 03:57   Link #227
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy78 View Post
Does it taste gorgeous? Delicious?
It's probably made out of marzipan.
Old 2010-10-25, 13:25   Link #228
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Hah! They finally made a real-life version of that SDF-1 wedding cake that Max and Milia had!
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 15:46   Link #229
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
Hah! They finally made a real-life version of that SDF-1 wedding cake that Max and Milia had!
& it only taken 28 years for someone to do it!

Or 1 year..
Old 2010-10-25, 17:47   Link #230
moncikoma

I wonder what cake will it be for alto and sheryl wedding in the next movie hehehe...
It should be macross quarter...
moncikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 22:05   Link #231
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
Not quite.

The one they had at MWCON10 was closer to the real-life version. But then again THAT wasn't edible.

Old 2010-10-27, 16:49   Link #232
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Japanator have wrote an awesome article about Macross. It's a must read.

I personally like points 9 and 10.
Old 2010-10-27, 19:27   Link #233
Solecs

I figure this fits better here than in the frontier re-watch thread. I was wanting to get in on the Macross lore while re-watching frontier and just discovered that Hulu has SDF Macross for free streaming, but it's the english dub. Can anybody attest to the quality of the dub?

I know most fans (self included) prefer the original japanese with subtitles, but I've seen a few well done dubs before so I figured I'd check it out.

As a side note, I'm impressed with how much anime is available on Hulu now. A good mix of old and new stuff too. I'm absolutely giddy about seeing Voltron on there.

Edit: Searching back through the thread it looks like the dub isn't too bad?
Solecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 23:44   Link #234
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecs View Post
I figure this fits better here than in the frontier re-watch thread. I was wanting to get in on the Macross lore while re-watching frontier and just discovered that Hulu has SDF Macross for free streaming, but it's the english dub. Can anybody attest to the quality of the dub?

I know most fans (self included) prefer the original japanese with subtitles, but I've seen a few well done dubs before so I figured I'd check it out.

As a side note, I'm impressed with how much anime is available on Hulu now. A good mix of old and new stuff too. I'm absolutely giddy about seeing Voltron on there.

Edit: Searching back through the thread it looks like the dub isn't too bad?
Personally, I think it's terrible. And they mispronounce "MA-cross" throughout the entire thing.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 00:09   Link #235
Lancel

It's fine I think, though yeah the Macross thing did bother me a bit. Minmay is the same Mari Ijima as in the original Japanese (though I think she was in her 40s when she did the english dub, that dub isn't very old). You may or may not prefer the original Japanese, depends on your preference.

The ten reasons were a good read. I liked #8. You read 1-7 all about Macross with pretty Macross art then suddenly, blam, Sheryl with a smirk like she just said hijacked the entire article just to say hi. Of course then you stop wondering about the random Sheryl pic when you actually read #8 and the further explanation and it all makes sense, but still the pic came first.

I feel kinda bad that I haven't seen DYRL yet.
Lancel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 03:36   Link #236
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
I feel kinda bad that I haven't seen DYRL yet.
This is a huge crime i tell you. Please fix this problem as soon as possible.
Old 2010-10-28, 06:51   Link #237
Lancel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
This is a huge crime i tell you. Please fix this problem as soon as possible.
Saving the best for last maybe.
Lancel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 07:35   Link #238
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Japanator have wrote an awesome article about Macross. It's a must read.

I personally like points 9 and 10.
Whoa. Great find. I'm linking my friends who are putting off watching this. And great pictures there.

We are re-watching SDF after Frontier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
Saving the best for last maybe.
That is not excuse.
Old 2010-10-28, 13:35   Link #239
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I'm linking my friends who are putting off watching this.
Yeah i've been doing the same. It should work on the people who have only seen Macross Plus here, because it's easy to buy on DVD these days.
Old 2011-01-06, 23:00   Link #240
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Just finished Macross. Great series.

I was interested in Macross after all the buzz about Frontier, but I heard Frontier was a sequel rather than an alternative universe series like Gundam 00, so I approached the original TV series instead.

And boy was it good! The story can be cheesy in places, especially concerning the love triangle and the ridiculous protoculture shock (which was hilarious on the most part), but it was emotionally engaging. Aside from a few hiccups, the story flowed well with little unnecessary padding and something to say nearly every episode. Action scenes were very well thought out and didn't stretch the physical limitations of the in-series universe too much. The deaths in this series were effective and very sad without being dwelled on for too long. The entire series has this incredibly sweet and romantic atmosphere to it which often put a smile on my face.

Spoiler for final arc:

Overall, Misa was my favorite character out of the cast. She was just fantastically developed as an adult character and I felt sorry for her when she got the short end of the stick in many situations. Claudia, Global and Britai were awesome too. A very good cast this has.

I somehow doubt Frontier will top this, but I'll see someday when I do watch it. One question:

Spoiler for Macross:
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, mecha, romance