AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

View Poll Results: Muv-Luv - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 11 22.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 24.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 38.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 6.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 6.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.00%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.00%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-30, 04:46   Link #61
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
No, Yuuya still has much to learn before he can embrace his Warrior Spirit!
Hmmm... yeah. But being a warrior would not guarantee a sure survival in battle. This ain't a one versus all battle... We're talking of hundred thousand BETAs here..
Old 2012-07-30, 06:16   Link #62
encia

Quote:
Yui trashed them pretty hard and if she was out to win she would have easily. Glad that instead she was just there to reach Yuuya a lesson and to get him to finally start focusing on learning to use the TSF.
After knocking out Tarisa's dagger (no lock?), Yui's move against Tarisa was pretty basic i.e. use your opponent's momentum and use it against them.
Old 2012-07-30, 06:22   Link #63
shaga
ヒスイ刈り取り機

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypokstick View Post
The XFJ plan was Stated in ep3 to replace the aging type 94 Siranui with a new Model.
The siranui is the standard run of the mil TSF for the grunts of the Imperial Japnese army.
So No, yuuya is helping to develop the new Standard grunt TSF for Japan.

the entire Japanese philosophy is one of the warrior culture in this universe. they expect their entire military to follow that doctrine, grunt or no grunt . And this is reflected in all their TSFs, the tye 97 fubuki in ep4 is a TSF used for beginner pilot cadets in japan to learn on and you seen what that was like for Yuuya. The Takemikazuchi seen this episode is what you would call an Spec Op elite unit.
is that mean fubuki more easy to handle?
Old 2012-07-30, 06:34   Link #64
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
In a war against places like Vietnam and Iraq, yeah. Where we have total superiority and at least a parity in numbers. The BETA, while they can be fought, require lots of advanced mechs that expend 120mm shells like machine gun rounds. Plus they need to be repaired, maintained, etc, all of which need more and more logistics that, in the face of millions of massive armored BETA, will begin to strain even if you dedicate a WW2 level of effort to it.
EP02's 4:29 shows the firing rate for RG-36 i.e. ~10 per sec. This seems to be 36 mm.

In terms of fire rate, GG-120 seems to like shotgun type weapon i.e. the upper barrel. This seems to be 120 mm.

America seems to be fine with ammo bias TSFs. The speed of American TSFs may able the their TSFs to quickly resupply from their local aircraft carrier i.e. hit (at long range)-and-run(re-supply) tactics.

Last edited by encia; 2012-07-30 at 09:26.
Old 2012-07-30, 07:00   Link #65
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
After knocking out Tarisa's dagger (no lock?), Yui's move against Tarisa was pretty basic i.e. use your opponent's momentum and use it against them.
Just because it's basic doesn't mean anyone could have easily taken out all those TSFs in quick succession. Don't forget that her TSF is meant for fighting BETA not wiping out other TSF's. It is Japanese after all.
Old 2012-07-30, 07:03   Link #66
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Just because it's basic doesn't mean anyone could have easily taken out all those TSFs in quick succession. Don't forget that her TSF is meant for fighting BETA not wiping out other TSF's. It is Japanese after all.
Amazing that TSFs ammunition could not penetrate another TSF armor... now with the BETAs... ohh.. the numbers...
Old 2012-07-30, 07:22   Link #67
DoomRavager

Their standard issue guns are perfectly capable of penetrating TSF armor, but they were firing blanks because they were just coming off a simulation exercise.
Old 2012-07-30, 09:13   Link #68
Nyat

Quote:
What? Yui does have the skills. It's not like "oh, you're born in the right family that means you can ALL use these ultra high performance TSF". It's more like "oh, you're born in the right family AND you have high skills so you can ALL use these high performance TSF".
Yes, but I'm talking about the whole system, not only her.
Look at those girls from the first two episodes. Yui and her rival performed fine but the rest was pretty meh and yet they've got imperial guard TSFs. The system is inherently flawed because even if they eventually reject those which can't match the performance requirements it still favors people on the base of "noble birth".
Old 2012-07-30, 09:47   Link #69
encia

Quote:
US TSFs wasn't designed for close range combat in mind (i.e. like their WWII aircraft counterparts) and assumes it's loaded with combat ammo instead of training ammo.
Old 2012-07-30, 10:09   Link #70
Jarmel

I'm definitely with Yuuya on this. I could understand the design philosophy if you were creating a duel mech going against limited numbers. However why in god's name would you design a mech that only very few people could pilot in a world where the population is getting horribly slashed off? Not to mention the number of Japanese who could pilot the damn thing anyway are so cut in number that my guess is any invasion force will be composed primarily of Americans. So why not design it so Americans can use it. Not to mention Yui apparently being antagonistic just for the hell of it.
Old 2012-07-30, 10:14   Link #71
black knight iust
spirit 1
*IT Support

wonder who would win yui or cryska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyat View Post
Special "class" should be for those with skill and/or potential. In this world Japan still uses a fucking feudal system. All those girls ended with royal guard TSFs only because they were born to the "right" family.

In other words she is the most delicious thing that exist in Total Eclipse next to tank-class beta (seriously, does someone sell tank-class plushies?).

You have to embrace the annoy...delicious side. Tarisa is a 100% delicious flat-chested cutie.

Besides:
-Inia stalking the rest of the crew is getting boring. I want some real character development!

And the most important:
From this moment I will use Takamura instead of Yui.
1) She damages the ego of my beloved chocolate loli.
2) She damages my beloved Active Eagles.
3) She used a real sword for that "lesson". What? You say she is a member of imperial guard so she obviously won't hurt anybody thanks to her MAD SKILZ? I call that bullshit. Send her back to Japan!
4) that real sword in pushed any futhur would of piersed her invisable chest
by fav strain is the destroyers after seeing them plow through everything
Old 2012-07-30, 10:18   Link #72
vic-vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by black knight iust View Post
wonder who would win yui or cryska
Well, why couldn't they both win; since, during demographic state of the world, all nations will want many new babies.
Old 2012-07-30, 10:23   Link #73
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

underrated scenes imo were the Yui and Yuuya shower scenes. Shows both of them being frustrating.
Old 2012-07-30, 10:23   Link #74
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic-vic View Post
Well, why couldn't they both win; since, during demographic state of the world, all nations will want many new babies.
Well, it's a numbers game when dealing against the BETA.
Old 2012-07-30, 10:24   Link #75
Trajan
Six Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
I'm definitely with Yuuya on this. I could understand the design philosophy if you were creating a duel mech going against limited numbers. However why in god's name would you design a mech that only very few people could pilot in a world where the population is getting horribly slashed off? Not to mention the number of Japanese who could pilot the damn thing anyway are so cut in number that my guess is any invasion force will be composed primarily of Americans. So why not design it so Americans can use it. Not to mention Yui apparently being antagonistic just for the hell of it.
I think the issue for some viewers (myself included) is that we went into this thinking it would be a "serious" mecha anime in the sense that it would incorporate real world tactics and the dynamics of an actual military conflict (as much as one can with giant fighting robots). Instead, it seems to be turning into a "super pilot" mecha where amazingly-gifted pilots with little experience (3 years flying is not a lot) absolutely destroy all-comers and then end up in a hand-to-hand battle with their main antagonist that almost always involves swords.

So although it's true that in the "real world" it would be ludicrous to create a machine that is difficult to fly, especially when most of your veteran pilots have been killed, in the Muv Luv world, where it's fast becoming all about the "super pilots", it makes sense to build a machine that only the "chosen" can use effectively.

Basically, Total Eclipse has the veneer of seriousness, but really the only thing that separates this series from being a Gundam Age is the fan service and the gore.

Last edited by Trajan; 2012-07-30 at 10:40.
Old 2012-07-30, 10:32   Link #76
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Let me be honest. I've never watched a more lackluster 1 on 1 mech battle in my life. Yui's trainee battle with her deceased rival was more entertaining than this. Watching a soldier machine-gunning a BETA and die horribly would be more entertaining than this. Wow. WHAT A FUCKING WASTE OF A TAKEMIKAZUCHI. Oh my god Yui; my respect for you has just fallen by a million degrees. How can you treat her like that?? How can you treat such a beautiful, elegant, strongest Japanese TSF - AHH MY EYES! MY BRAIN! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
Old 2012-07-30, 10:42   Link #77
black knight iust
spirit 1
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic-vic View Post
yah i would enjoy a harem end but im not talking about that im talking about a fight
a female samurai or a russian who could kick big bosses as* (my moneys on the latter )

Last edited by black knight iust; 2012-07-30 at 10:54.
Old 2012-07-30, 10:55   Link #78
maximilianjenus
[E]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
A small force would be really useful to somethow infiltrate a beta swarm and take out the laser class betas. Think of using highly skilled cavarly to attack the other army's generals, once the generals are down the other army will fall into disarray, or in this case, since the betas are already in disarray , the tsf will be able to fly freely and attack the betas from the air; that way artillery/nuclear bobms could be used against the beta.
Old 2012-07-30, 11:00   Link #79
black knight iust
spirit 1
*IT Support

@maximilianjenus i think a sniper with a atleast 70 persent chance to oneshot would be better choice to take care of laser class
Old 2012-07-30, 11:25   Link #80
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Frankly it doesn't make much sense that Yui could one-shot Tarisa, Stella and VG, Even supposing she's an ace pilot and even considering the Takemikazuchi that was a bit too much, but I guess the time constraints of an anime called for that...
It becomes even more difficult to accept when you see Yuuya standing his ground against Yui even thought until that point his performances were always inferior to the other three against Beta and in the first mock battle they didn't seem much below his level, not even VG who had the same machine.

It's obvious that Yui decided to go easy on Yuuya, but why would she go as far as to let him disarm her? I guess that's supposed to be an unexpected sudden surge of superhuman skills from Yuuya's part, but that seems a bit fortuitous when you consider what Yui just did to the other three.

Regarding the conflicting warrior and soldier philosophies, I think it shouldn't even be argued which is right. Yuuya is absolutely right, there's no point in a machine that can only be piloted by veterans, you don't fight wars with veterans alone, especially wars when pilots keep dying like flies and you need to resort to teenagers to replace them.

I wonder if Yui realized the fact that she is the only survivor of her whole class and that maybe it's not a coincidence that only an Ace pilot survived on a TSF designed for Ace pilots.

The irony of this is that they could have it both ways, with easy to pilot TSFs for the grunts and elite-oriented TSFs for the samurai and noble class, since they are already piloting different machines.

I know americans in Muv Luv are often accused to favor combat from the long distance and to prefer destructive actions from afar rather than going straight into the battlefield, but frankly in my opinion killing your enemy while staying out of harm's way is the number one strategical advance one should achieve whenever it's possible. Elite training goes way below that, after numerical superiority (which isn't an option agaisnt Beta though).

Closed Thread