Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-03-01, 10:34   Link #2281
MitsubishiZero
Resource cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirk View Post
All in all, wikipedia is a pretty bad source for Strike Witches info. There's a lot of fan fluff in there with little basis from the source material. Just being frank here, but within the English fanbase I'm probably one of the people most familiar with the established canon, and have actual copies of just about all the canon sources... and yet there's junk in there that I haven't seen anywhere before. I mostly just froth at the mouth each time I go there.
I would say you are probably one of the people most familiar with Strike Witches not only within the English fanbase, but in the whole anime fanbase AND have the resources (I mean materials like manga/CD/doujins etc) in hardcopy......I only have about 70 or 75% of what you have shown in photos before......the remaining percentages are the drama CDs. I don't really have time to look for those so I think I only got one of them. Take the fanbook for example, I only have images of it so I don't know if the whole book is complete. You also have the advantage of being rich (well from the amount you spent I bet you must be rolling) you can have the resources hot and fresh. I have to wait

Re: Tk3997

Wow that's really informative...thanks man, I learned a lot.....how does it feel to travel at 614mph lol, I would like to try.....I guess jets are the only way forward.....

I am nobody, just a simple resource cabinet.....

Last edited by MitsubishiZero; 2010-03-01 at 12:15.
MitsubishiZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 04:06   Link #2282
pauldy
An F-15 Fanboi

Well i found the Novel in the Baka Tsuki website, but the translation seems to have halted.. anyways i have read some chapters

Anyways i think i might like the novels more. I dunno, it's a bit more dark than the Fanservice driven anime series..

Honestly though, if there's another Strike witches anime coming, i wished it would just retell the story..

Something more similar to the OVA wherein the girls had the "Familiar" system and wearing skirts & shorts when not on standby xD
pauldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 06:10   Link #2283
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsubishiZero View Post
Re: Tk3997

Wow that's really informative...thanks man, I learned a lot.....how does it feel to travel at 614mph lol, I would like to try.....I guess jets are the only way forward.....
Actually according to him IIRC at first he had no real sensation of falling because he was basically jumping into space. He only really started to feel it as he passed through like 90,000 and was decelerating IIRC.

Also I forgot to mention two rather blindingly important aspect of piston engine fighter maneuvering: speed and overspeed.
Spoiler for More rambling:

Tk3997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 09:56   Link #2284
MitsubishiZero
Resource cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldy View Post
Well i found the Novel in the Baka Tsuki website, but the translation seems to have halted.. anyways i have read some chapters

Anyways i think i might like the novels more. I dunno, it's a bit more dark than the Fanservice driven anime series..

Honestly though, if there's another Strike witches anime coming, i wished it would just retell the story..

Something more similar to the OVA wherein the girls had the "Familiar" system and wearing skirts & shorts when not on standby xD
That novel vol. 1 is only about 70% translated, but you shall see how lovely the story is with Elizabeth's actions later in the novel......Season 2 is highly unlikely to follow the novel based on what they have been telling us on magazines.......Nor it is going to follow the manga route (the Nyantype one).....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
Actually according to him IIRC at first he had no real sensation of falling because he was basically jumping into space. He only really started to feel it as he passed through like 90,000 and was decelerating IIRC.

Also I forgot to mention two rather blindingly important aspect of piston engine fighter maneuvering: speed and overspeed.
Spoiler for More rambling:
Yeah I am a bit more familiar with Japanese produced WW2 planes.......it is like the Lotus Elise base model with a chassis made out of paper: very light body gives it good handling in low altitudes, but the feeble engine and the body is no good anywhere else. It doesn't has the power to make planes go fast and even if they do, their rudders froze at high speeds and you crash. You take one bullet in the non-self-sealing tank you explode and die. I would say Japan is a bit of a late starter in aviation technology so even with limited German help Japan still couldn't manage heavy-duty planes from USA or Europe....I know quite a few Japanese planes did try turbocharging their planes but as far as I know they have yet to succeed. Their jet/(hot/cold something turbine with ? stoff mixing with ? stoff which explodes if you put one in the other tank) engines are weaker and more fragile than western products as they lack the technology or the material to do it right. The Mitsubishi J8M Shūsui or the Nakajima "Kikka" (equivalents to Me 262 A-1a fighter type) are just example....

Old 2010-03-03, 00:26   Link #2285
pauldy
An F-15 Fanboi

So what are the speculations about Strike Witches season 2? Something like Yoshika finding the origin of the letter handed by Amaki Suwa?

Sorry i have no access on the japanese mags, i can't understand japanese anyway.
Old 2010-03-03, 00:41   Link #2286
MitsubishiZero
Resource cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldy View Post
So what are the speculations about Strike Witches season 2? Something like Yoshika finding the origin of the letter handed by Amaki Suwa?

Sorry i have no access on the japanese mags, i can't understand japanese anyway.
Well up to this point we are not provided with a lot of details, but yeah it may be Yoshika pursuing what that letter says......relax, there is going to be a storyline, and hope that it's good.........

you can try searching on photobucket for those japanese mags......you can at least see the pictures right?

Old 2010-03-03, 00:43   Link #2287
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
So does anyone know if S2 will focus on the exact same cast as S1?
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-03, 01:30   Link #2288
pauldy
An F-15 Fanboi

Ok i'm sorry if i'm too inquisitive here..

I'll just wait and keep the questions to myself. Better yet just google it..

sorry for the bother everyone
Old 2010-03-03, 10:10   Link #2289
MitsubishiZero
Resource cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
So does anyone know if S2 will focus on the exact same cast as S1?
well now I look back at the magazine (nyantype I believe) the cast should be the same, but I quote : Junko Takei is going to appear in Season 2 and "There may be new characters".

edit:

Just found another Strike Witches Resource site, and I found out more about the fanbook:

I collected 3 more correlation diagrams (including one showing all the characters' pants) and I discovered something:

New characters in the diagram, which included the doujins Witche in Afrika and Sōkū no Otome-tachi....

Last edited by MitsubishiZero; 2010-03-04 at 04:52.
Old 2010-03-04, 05:40   Link #2290
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

"Adolfine Galland"?

Quick! Shoot her down before she sues for peace with the Neuroi!
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-04, 09:05   Link #2291
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsubishiZero View Post
well now I look back at the magazine (nyantype I believe) the cast should be the same, but I quote : Junko Takei is going to appear in Season 2 and "There may be new characters".

edit:

Just found another Strike Witches Resource site, and I found out more about the fanbook:

I collected 3 more correlation diagrams (including one showing all the characters' pants) and I discovered something:

New characters in the diagram, which included the doujins Witche in Afrika and Sōkū no Otome-tachi....
*snip*
Itokawa Mamoru, Ahonen, and Häkkinen are all from the Suomus novels, not the doujin or manga. Also, Häkkinen probably isn't even a witch. I certainly don't include her in my rather comprehensive list.

Sano and the elder Nakajima have never shown up anywhere except the Strikes artbook diagram, afaik. Never had any description or anything... they were probably planned for the discontinued manga, since those had the other Suwa and Nakajima sisters in it.
Ahonen, the yuri harem mistress, is the leader of Lentolaivue 1 of the Suomen Ilmavoimat in the Suomus novels. She also gets a somewhat awesome moment in that pic.
Adolfine Galland isn't based on Hitler, if that's what you're thinking. It's based on General der Jagdflieger Adolf Galland. She shows up in writing in Lennartz's magazine column.
Old 2010-03-04, 19:27   Link #2292
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
It's based on General der Jagdflieger Adolf Galland. She shows up in writing in Lennartz's magazine column.
- Argh; wrong guy.

I was thinking of the fellow who flew across the english channel to request talks with the British during WWII--forget his name, all I know is he didn't succeed, and ended up strangled to death in a Russian prison, or so I remember---can't recall his name right now.
Old 2010-03-04, 22:54   Link #2293
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
- Argh; wrong guy.

I was thinking of the fellow who flew across the english channel to request talks with the British during WWII--forget his name, all I know is he didn't succeed, and ended up strangled to death in a Russian prison, or so I remember---can't recall his name right now.
That would be Rudolph Hess who was pretty much bonkers by most accounts. He also was imprisoned in Germany at Spandau not Russia until his death watched over by British guards. The Russians were the ones mainly responsible for keeping him there though until his apparent suicide at the age of 93 in 1987.

Old 2010-03-06, 01:25   Link #2294
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
That would be Rudolph Hess who was pretty much bonkers by most accounts. He also was imprisoned in Germany at Spandau not Russia until his death watched over by British guards. The Russians were the ones mainly responsible for keeping him there though until his apparent suicide at the age of 93 in 1987.
Christ knows why Neo-Nazis of today admire this lunatic among lunatics.

Anyway dump of Karslander pics for you to enjoy. Mostly GertrudxErica though (or in Japan HaruxBaru). And if you want to know what happened to the LynettexYoshika dump earlier unfortunately it would seem I pushed Photobucket's patience too far and they gave me a banhammer. Thankfully though I've saved most of the pics and I've got other account.

Without further ado, enjoy. A few nsfw.

Last edited by NinjaYali; 2010-03-06 at 03:38.
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-06, 01:49   Link #2295
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
- Okay. I must have mixed his history with someone else's then.

BTW: I don't get the Hako and Bako reference?
Old 2010-03-06, 03:20   Link #2296
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
- Okay. I must have mixed his history with someone else's then.

BTW: I don't get the Hako and Bako reference?
Oh sorry, it's 'HaruxBaru' but this also works in Japan ハルトホルン. Think it's HaruHorun? Combines the katakana for Hartmann ハルトマン and Barkhorn バルクホルン. But that's the transliteration I got from danbooru.

But yeah, HaruxBaru is my new otp.

Spoiler for Where HaruxBaru came from:

I'm sure there are a few who have seen this by now but according to the timeline
(and this is my assumption) there is no mention of the Nazis coming to power or any revolution in Russia. So does this mean then that Orussia is not communist and there has been no Nazis coming to power in Karsland. And maybe this turns out to be Turtledove verse after all and they all had a Magical Revolution?

Other thing of note is that it would seem the US has swallowed it's own bitter pill.
1620- Influential Fuso Samurai establishes Mizuho in Northern Liberion.

PS: Why does this site keep logging me out?

Last edited by NinjaYali; 2010-03-06 at 03:55. Reason: Something other then shipping
Old 2010-03-06, 07:08   Link #2297
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYali View Post
I'm sure there are a few who have seen this by now but according to the timeline
(and this is my assumption) there is no mention of the Nazis coming to power or any revolution in Russia. So does this mean then that Orussia is not communist and there has been no Nazis coming to power in Karsland. And maybe this turns out to be Turtledove verse after all and they all had a Magical Revolution?

Other thing of note is that it would seem the US has swallowed it's own bitter pill.

PS: Why does this site keep logging me out?
Yeah, if you look over some of my posts, I've gone over a lot of the politics of the SW-verse, including the (lack of a) rise of communism and junk. I've even been looking into how to explain the Neuroi hive in the Urals, but I'm still stumped as to who or what group it could be referring to in the real world. Most of the other Neuroi hives can be explained somewhat as Axis (minus the Japanese) strongpoints at various points of WW2, except for the hive in the Urals. No idea about that one.

Anyway, Orussia is indeed not communist, since it is still an Empire. Karlsland is still Imperial Karlsland as well. A big reason for this is probably because there never was a World War I. Events prior to this were similar to real history, since the Neuroi only started appearing in small numbers during the Magic Revolution (steam revolution in the real world), and only really exploding onto the scene with the First Neuroi War (WWI), which was beat back by an international alliance. This is the point where SW-verse history and real world history starts to diverge, with things like the Russian Empire and Imperial Germany not being weakened by WW1, and thus not having huge changes in their politics.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about Italian history, or I'd also look at why Venezia and Romagnan are split in the SW-verse...

[/ramble]

Not really related, but do note that IIRC there were a number of minor translation errors in the translation for that timeline.
Old 2010-03-06, 09:15   Link #2298
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Quote:

Thing is has anyone ever mentioned that at the current time though? Also I vaguely recall that timeline is older and something seems to have been retconned. Regardless the US from like the 1700 to late 1800s was pretty much imperialist, it just didn’t need to go take over Africa or Asia because it had lots of land at home to invade. Just see the Mexican American war were in the US basically concocts a lame excuse and then invades and annexes pretty much the entire southwest.

Given Europeans well known disdain for Asian during that time period it seems… unlikely they’d have let the Japanese hang around. Given the distances involved in crossing the Pacific to try and support there forces it’s also difficult to see how the Japanese could have won if the US decided it was time to get rid of them. So yeah until that’s actually mentioned I’d tend to assume the Japs got the boot along with The Spanish, French, etc as the US pretty much bullied everyone else out of North America. (The Canadian got to stay because hey they’re Canadians so there no threat. )

Old 2010-03-07, 01:51   Link #2299
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, if you look over some of my posts, I've gone over a lot of the politics of the SW-verse, including the (lack of a) rise of communism and junk. I've even been looking into how to explain the Neuroi hive in the Urals, but I'm still stumped as to who or what group it could be referring to in the real world. Most of the other Neuroi hives can be explained somewhat as Axis (minus the Japanese) strongpoints at various points of WW2, except for the hive in the Urals. No idea about that one.

Anyway, Orussia is indeed not communist, since it is still an Empire. Karlsland is still Imperial Karlsland as well. A big reason for this is probably because there never was a World War I. Events prior to this were similar to real history, since the Neuroi only started appearing in small numbers during the Magic Revolution (steam revolution in the real world), and only really exploding onto the scene with the First Neuroi War (WWI), which was beat back by an international alliance. This is the point where SW-verse history and real world history starts to diverge, with things like the Russian Empire and Imperial Germany not being weakened by WW1, and thus not having huge changes in their politics.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about Italian history, or I'd also look at why Venezia and Romagnan are split in the SW-verse...

[/ramble]

Not really related, but do note that IIRC there were a number of minor translation errors in the translation for that timeline.
Well, I am no expert on Italian politics but I suppose there is a possibility of it happening with the activeness of Northern Italy separatist movements. I can't recall any from the past, but an active one in Modern times has been Lega Nord.

Also for clarification, WWI did happen '1914- Outbreak of First Great War' However this timetable to say the least is rather brief. Another thing about this world is that it seems not only every major pilot is now a girl but the aviation pioneers are girls as well. '1903- First flight by 'Wright Sisters' in Liberion'

This is amusing. Now I wonder if there's a female Artem Mikoskaya or Mikhail Gurevich anywhere? Clare Johnson? Jesslyn de Havilland? Jiko Horikoshi?

You know, speaking of real life figures. Given that Ursula and Erich were actual married couple do you think that in the SW world, the Hartmann Sisters could be...

Quote:
unlikely they’d have let the Japanese hang around
Next time in official merchandise they should release a official guidebook to a complete and detailed timeline and not just fake little schoolgirl's underwear.

Although I rather like the idea of a Japanese-influenced American colony in the present day Washington area (random guess) although there's the obvious logistical problems. Could it be that Japanese influence in the area led to present day pants-less circumstances for women?
Old 2010-03-07, 06:37   Link #2300
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Also for clarification, WWI did happen '1914- Outbreak of First Great War' However this timetable to say the least is rather brief.

Next time in official merchandise they should release a official guidebook to a complete and detailed timeline and not just fake little schoolgirl's underwear
The full name of the 1914 "Great War" actually includes Neuroi, ie the First Neuroi Great War, 第一次ネウロイ大戦 (Suomus 1, p.8). So no, it wasn't really WW1 as we know it. It was already the world vs the Neuroi.

There... is an official guidebook already. The timeline there is an enhancement of the one in the Strikes artbook. It includes more SW-verse events, mostly DOBs of various characters, as well as explanations of differences from real history.

They explained the colony from Fuso as the Fuso government never following an isolationist policy, and thus sent the first wave of colonists to Liberion... though that'd mean they would end up on the west coast, unless they took an extremely roundabout path. It was supposed to be a reference to the first colonists, mostly Puritans, which should've ended up in Virginia.

Tags
bishoujo, bost tv, gonzo, kemonomimi, mecha, mecha musume