AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-07, 18:21   Link #1281
X207
Gamyūsa

i dont mind the pairing, though natsu shizuku would've been better.
Old 2010-03-07, 18:27   Link #1282
Mentar
Banned

If 12 DOES end with Akane, there's also a small chance that enough enraged fanmail might cause the author to pick it up again (which is why I'm hoping for a semi-open ending at least)

He did that with one of his earlier series, Maburaho. Here, the main character was supposed to die, but after a firestorm of objections from the fans, he continued the series with a different ending.
Old 2010-03-07, 18:50   Link #1283
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
If 12 DOES end with Akane, there's also a small chance that enough enraged fanmail might cause the author to pick it up again (which is why I'm hoping for a semi-open ending at least)

He did that with one of his earlier series, Maburaho. Here, the main character was supposed to die, but after a firestorm of objections from the fans, he continued the series with a different ending.
Then the light novel will end up like crap.
If the author crumbles to pressure to fan demand, we're just gonna have another GSD. And if we don't have Shizuku X Natsuru in the end, who cares? Shizuku can find herself another man who's better than Natsuru.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2010-03-07, 18:55   Link #1284
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Then the light novel will end up like crap.
If the author crumbles to pressure to fan demand, we're just gonna have another GSD. And if we don't have Shizuku X Natsuru in the end, who cares? Shizuku can find herself another man who's better than Natsuru.
Its simply being happy. And you naturally want your favorite to be happpy.

You cannot just say - hey the one you love does not love you back - go find a better man and think that a person would be cheered by it. And while it is a character it does seem like the happiness is linked with that worthless Natsuru and however he is worthless he is what makes Shizuku happy.

It is not about who and whom is better or not it is whom makes you happy.

And I would wish for that what you dread to happen - still better than the rage and worser sales, believe me.

Fans sometime scan create better stuff than the original authors anyway.

Look at Evangelion doujin Re-Take - it is certainly better than most of those cheap Evangelion official harem attempts and even better than Sadamoto's official manga.

Pleasing fans not always end in a bad way.
Old 2010-03-07, 21:00   Link #1285
Nemesis

Hmph, the sooner this ends, the better for me.

The fact this kind of story even sold in the first place is a miracle itself.
Even the fans admit to the flaws themselves!
Truly,this is the worst story i have seen in anime and manga.

I'll rather have more pointless meadering around in To Love Ru than this.
Well,guess for every work that has mediocrity that chases audience away,there's always gonna be one guy to be in the fandom that will end up hate watching.What an experience.
Old 2010-03-08, 00:52   Link #1286
hellraiser85

I don't know if natsuru will really end up with akane but she was certainly leading from vol 9.5 onward so it wouldn't be much of a surprise; personally i was cheering for the wild akane or simply the open ending (=harem lol).
i don't think kampfer failed as light novel because since the very beginning it was oriented toward a love comedy rather than a shounen/action plot and you can't drag this kind of novel for too many volumes or it really gets boring (once all the heroines confess, the end of the story is very close).

Last edited by hellraiser85; 2010-03-08 at 03:52. Reason: grammar mistakes:-)
Old 2010-03-08, 01:59   Link #1287
Darknemo2000

hellraiser85, many novesl go for romance rather than action, so?

But even with that there are much better tittles than this one. As I said it seemed that authors originality was enough for just a single character. And the sad part it seems he was incapable of seeing that (sad for the author as if he would have he would have earned much more from this series).
Old 2010-03-08, 04:19   Link #1288
hellraiser85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
hellraiser85, many novesl go for romance rather than action, so?
But even with that there are much better tittles than this one. As I said it seemed that authors originality was enough for just a single character.
that depends solely on one's own opinion i think; what I was trying to say is that this novel has no absolute failing elements in itself
Old 2010-03-08, 04:24   Link #1289
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

it ends on vol 12? First news for me XD. Vol 11 ends in a cliffhanger, although it raise a new flag for shizuku on yuri ends :P
Old 2010-03-08, 05:16   Link #1290
Nemesis

Well, Kampfer is an epic failure for me.In fact, its the new low i have seen.

Its failed so hard, i can't even begin to how to explain why.
Its very uncompetitive compared to other stories i have seen.

Guilty Pleasure? Queen's Blade does that better.
Genderbender? Look at Ranma1/2.
Fighting Bishojo? Look at Mai Hime.
Harem? Just try something like To Love Ru.
Old 2010-03-08, 07:15   Link #1291
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser85 View Post
that depends solely on one's own opinion i think; what I was trying to say is that this novel has no absolute failing elements in itself
The sell rates tell bit different story. For some reason Shizuku related merchandise sells much better than other girls.

Either that means that Shizuku is that awesome or that the other girls are not good enough. Personally i think it is the combination of both - Shizuku is definitely great, but not really the super popular character in Japan, she is still much more popular than any other girls in this show though.

Still, while such sales only tell us that other characters do not much up with Shizuku, it does not tell that the plot is weak but considering that Kampfer is nowhere close at being a very popular show who holds the popularity in charts for some time, it is pretty safe to assume that the story and the plot did not leave anyone impressed enough to stay hooked on the show.

Even in terms of silly harem fanservice To-Love-Ru does much better job at it.

Thats why for me it looks like the most value this series had was just its single character - Shizuku. Everything else while not something extremely bad, was still incredibly generic and plain.

To top that the author seems to be an idiot in terms of managing the popularity and getting more income, as he seems to have let the potential gold mine slip away for the sake of generic pairing end.
Old 2010-03-08, 07:28   Link #1292
Mentar
Banned

In a way, Akane's single-mindedness might essentially force the author's hand. She's hardwired on the bum, and there's no real option for a "happy ending" for her other than "winning".

It seems that Shizuku's happy ending will be that she'll manage to save her beloved senpai.

Mikoto is resilient, she won't break over it.

Still, I'd say and let's wait to see how things wrap up, before we kill the author ... no matter how it ends, I enjoyed the ride, and I definitely look forward to more Kaichou goodness in the manga.
Old 2010-03-08, 19:27   Link #1293
ZeKeR
Superbad

we shall see.... and i agree with nemesis.... it really is starting to suck....
Old 2010-03-09, 08:05   Link #1294
Nemesis

Well,it kinda started to suck after Mikoto's introduction.Or maybe it was after the Kuzuhara arc.

Ether way,i can effectively say that Kampfer is not worth the time,or even Shizuku.
Old 2010-03-09, 09:55   Link #1295
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Well,it kinda started to suck after Mikoto's introduction.Or maybe it was after the Kuzuhara arc.

Ether way,i can effectively say that Kampfer is not worth the time,or even Shizuku.
You mean it doesn't deserve to have Shizuku in it? If so I agree wholeheartedly. Or rather Shizuku deserves a better novels with better characters and some interesting plot.

Shizuku in Kampfer is like Hitagi from Balemonogatari in some second rate story - you feel sad for the character, because it feels like the characters greatness is wasted on some second-hand plot. Hitagi got lucky as she had other great cast and intriguing plot to accompany her, to make a really good series. Shizuku, on the other hand, was not so lucky.
Old 2010-03-09, 10:55   Link #1296
Nemesis

Yeah, Kampfer is simply not worth the time and Shizuku.
I mean, Shizuku isn't the best she can be in such poorly done story with limited potential in the first place.

The author favoritism portrays her in a bad light in this story.I mean, she is STILL taking over as the protagonist.(And in a rather slightly crude way)

Still, i'll rather watch something for a real reason, not some cheap gimmick or a character.
Old 2010-03-09, 16:18   Link #1297
Mentar
Banned

Darknemo: Nemesis is the guy who went from massive circlejerking about Kämpfer with 7896234 fanfic fantasies to "Zetsubou shitaaaaa" when it didn't go in the direction he wanted. Then he posted 15 notes essentially saying "it sucks, I'm going", but instead of doing so, he just deleted all his old notes and is now playing troll detractor. I doubt that he's material for a deep discussion.
Old 2010-03-09, 22:21   Link #1298
Nemesis

........Okay, you just made lose all respect for you.
So you want to declare a war again?Make no mistake, its gonna be you who started this.
And i simply came here to just tag along for the final stop.

Oh come on,if that was another bait for flame war,its getting old.
I have all already paid back whatever Kampfer has done with refunding my posts.I felt it did not deserve it in the end.Think of it as a refunding of time for myself.

Dude,i already handled this quite kindly enough without attacking people.I kept it all personal.My posts are my words after all.
I'll hate to see your reaction to the fan hater i know at the toku fandom.He literally flames people in his rants!

I'm just now hanging on for the ride for the last stop.
And besides,its one thing if it did not go the way i wanted, fine.I'll just accept whatever comes along as long its good and substantial.
But its another,if it turns bad.And i do expect something of integrity back for my time invested to this story.if i don't, then i have a legitimate grievance.
I weighed it all up and the facts told me it was not worth the time.

Tell me, what is Kampfer good for other than your all glorious goddess Shizuku?

Oh, and about all those RPing,those were fun days(and the last good time i actually liked Kampfer).But really, how long can being a irrational Shizuku fanboy last?
I look at facts at the end.Still, my first experience of fanboyism was quite fun as to say.
Kampfer is still not worth the time for a mere fanaticism on a character.I rather cling to Kampfer for a real merit it has.

If you really want some long elaboration from why i think its bad,i say you guys open up from your Shizuku fanboyism and listen first.I don't mind standing my ground already if you start to try attack it.
I only planned on giving the review when this ended, but oh well since you wanna attack me,then bring it.

In fact, since you seem to stalk me, i decide track down on you.
You always seem to be quite edgy when someone always talk about your goddess Shizuku or attacks the story she's in.
In fact, i see you going irrational fanboyism like mad on Shizuku out there!
Yeah, i can already name you as one of the mad otaku in the Kampfer fandom.

I like Shizuku too, but what i see is that she isn't the best she can be in such a crappy story.

Last edited by Nemesis; 2010-03-10 at 02:26.
Old 2010-03-09, 23:02   Link #1299
Nemesis

Ether way,since someone wants to make some heated words in here..........
I'll state what i found poor in this story then.

1.Action is simply weak to non existent.
No one actually gets hurt or wounded at all in the fights.Furthermore,most of the attacks with the weapons and magic never actually hit,not mention wounding someone at all.
The fights are also very short as well.

Never mind if the fight is short,but what is a fight where no one gets hurt?
This is Seinen after all, its okay to have a bit of blood,or at least some sign of damage like on the clothing.

2.There isn't alot of comedy to laugh at really.
Even the potrayal of Natsuru's situation isn't really that funny actually.And anything else to laugh at is almost non existent except for the VA references.(Which are also little to non existent)

3.The Ecchi isn't really up to modern standards i have seen in other manga.
I can read one chapter of To Love Ru or Sora no Otoshimono and get more ecchi than one chapter of Kampfer.
Yeah, i know its a kind of story like R+V and its not totally ecchi focused,but see points 1,2 & 4.

4.The Romance angle is not really that well done.
With a pathetic blockhead like Natsuru, i can't understand how romance is going to actually work here.
Plus, there was little of any real romantic buildup of feelings on both sides.
Without the buildup of feelings, romance between two people doesn't work.

And also,a romance wasn't about how easy it was,it was how difficult it was.
These feelings are not strengthened to form a strong bonding.Nether were they tested.
I won't even be surprised if the girls break up with him sooner or later.

5.The amount of content we get per manga volume actually amounts to little.In short,the pacing of the story
Kampfer is not getting much done per chapter.

The plot moves so slowly on everything, that i read the manga pages very slowly.(And i burn through manga quite fast,you know)
No seriously,nothing much happens per chapter.Just mere boring conversations and events that build up little.And it look like it sort of promised something dark.

By the first volume of a manga, you would have enough content to give the audience an idea what to expect for the rest of the series.

Just like Freezing.
But sadly,Kampfer is ending.And it had build up very little.That was one of the driving points that made me dislike it.

Its okay to be slow, but don't under-deliver in the end.

Last edited by Nemesis; 2010-03-10 at 00:52.
Old 2010-03-10, 03:22   Link #1300
hellraiser85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Ether way,since someone wants to make some heated words in here..........
I'll state what i found poor in this story then.

1.Action is simply weak to non existent.
No one actually gets hurt or wounded at all in the fights.Furthermore,most of the attacks with the weapons and magic never actually hit,not mention wounding someone at all.
The fights are also very short as well.

Never mind if the fight is short,but what is a fight where no one gets hurt?
This is Seinen after all, its okay to have a bit of blood,or at least some sign of damage like on the clothing.

2.There isn't alot of comedy to laugh at really.
Even the potrayal of Natsuru's situation isn't really that funny actually.And anything else to laugh at is almost non existent except for the VA references.(Which are also little to non existent)

3.The Ecchi isn't really up to modern standards i have seen in other manga.
I can read one chapter of To Love Ru or Sora no Otoshimono and get more ecchi than one chapter of Kampfer.
Yeah, i know its a kind of story like R+V and its not totally ecchi focused,but see points 1,2 & 4.

4.The Romance angle is not really that well done.
With a pathetic blockhead like Natsuru, i can't understand how romance is going to actually work here.
Plus, there was little of any real romantic buildup of feelings on both sides.
Without the buildup of feelings, romance between two people doesn't work.

And also,a romance wasn't about how easy it was,it was how difficult it was.
These feelings are not strengthened to form a strong bonding.Nether were they tested.
I won't even be surprised if the girls break up with him sooner or later.

5.The amount of content we get per manga volume actually amounts to little.In short,the pacing of the story
Kampfer is not getting much done per chapter.

The plot moves so slowly on everything, that i read the manga pages very slowly.(And i burn through manga quite fast,you know)
No seriously,nothing much happens per chapter.Just mere boring conversations and events that build up little.And it look like it sort of promised something dark.

By the first volume of a manga, you would have enough content to give the audience an idea what to expect for the rest of the series.

Just like Freezing.
But sadly,Kampfer is ending.And it had build up very little.That was one of the driving points that made me dislike it.

Its okay to be slow, but don't under-deliver in the end.
1. where did you read that? of course people get wounded during the fights (especially akane and natsuru), and natsuru's magic bullets hit as well but either he only uses little strength to not kill his opponent, or his magic bullets get deflected in some way.
the fights are not short at all, and there are a lot of them (i'm talking about the novel of course). but of course the fights are not as bloody as naruto, r+v or one piece, so i'll give you half point:-)

2. are you talking about the novel or the anime? because i can assure you the novel has plenty of top notch humour (especially with k akane , mikoto and natsuru)

3. of course you can't compare that. to love ru is a plotless shounen series based solely on fanservice, and it's a manga . Seriously who would go look for pointless fanservice in a novel? anyway there is ecchi here and there (rapes attempts, threesome attempt et cetera) but they are novel style ecchi scenes. same for fanservice

4. you have a point here: there's no deep romance in this novel from the male's pov but hence the genre: love comedy, not romance

@darknemo2000
shizuku is portrayed as the coolest character of the series, no wonder she's so popular, just like emosasuke is in naruto, vejita in dragonball, crocodile/zoro in one piece, inner moka in r+v.
and the same may apply for k akane because she's a tsundere (i bet she comes in second place for popularity).
for what concerns the popularity of manga series: even a shitty wsj series will sell more than most good seinens (lol people seems to be more attacted by fanservice rather than plot afterall), so i wouldn't base everything on "which sells more?" , because i don't think it's such a simple matter
Closed Thread

Tags
action, comedy, genderbender, romance, shounen