AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 19
10 out of 10 : Nearly Perfect... 30 28.30%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 37 34.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 21 19.81%
7 out of 10 : Good... 8 7.55%
6 out of 10 : Average... 6 5.66%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.94%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.94%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 2 1.89%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-11-10, 19:43   Link #61
Insane
Banned

How the heck Kirito was able to morph into a minotaur he defeated in eps 9? I knew that spriggan is race with a thing with illusion, but that's clearly not an illusion. If it was just illusion, then Kirito would have slashed the Salamander guys 4 or 5 times to make it look like the monster clawed their bodies into pieces. That means he definitely turned into monster. My question is, how?
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 19:45   Link #62
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
How the heck Kirito was able to morph into a minotaur he defeated in eps 9? I knew that spriggan is race with a thing with illusion, but that's clearly not an illusion. If it was just illusion, then Kirito would have slashed the Salamander guys 4 or 5 times to make it look like the monster clawed their bodies into pieces. That means he definitely turned into monster. My question is, how?
How, well, that was the nature of the magic. You take on the form of a monster and gain the related size/mobility, but you don't gain any attack power. Thankfully for him, he already had the attack power to spare, and the size was all he needed. (I guess it'd count as "Illusion Magic" because you don't really become a monster; you just take the monster's form. It's not like a "mirage", though.)
Old 2012-11-10, 19:53   Link #63
Tsukou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
It's an illusion spell, so the only thing affected should have been how Kirito appeared to everyone. That's why Lyfa said it was no good for combat, as the only practical use for such a thing would to dissuade other players from coming near you in a dungeon or something out of fear for themselves because they think there's a powerful monster there, not a player.

How would an illusion affect a player's range of attack? That's the main contradictory point behind the spell he used. It's an illusion so it has no physical form.
What's contradictory is what you actually saw in the episode, and what you write. Kirito even talks about how his sword disappeared and he didn't know what to do, so he merely just swung his arms. So while illusion magic might be a misnomer, the implications of illusion magic is more transformation. But if you look at it through another lens, for example, in some games you can turn yourself into a tree creating an "illusion". In that example it makes perfect sense, and I think that is the context within the game.

And the reason it's probably not useful is because like Kirito said, he lost his sword. I doubt people would choose to lose a weapon they worked hard to obtain only to not use it in battle. And most likely because spells are based on stats, I doubt many people have stats like Kirito which is why his spell was ridiculously strong. I'm sure if Kirito had a weapon that matched his level, he would have been fine not using an illusion spell, but because he has a store bought one, it was only able to get his opponents in the yellow with one swing. Now if he had his Elucidator he prolly coulda wiped them all out easily, lol.

As for people talking about Kirito's PTSD, I have a feeling you guys really don't know what you're talking about. After living two years in a game world, obviously he feels an attachment, but does that make what he says wrong? It's like he was saying, if you act a certain way in a game, it's bound to effect you in real life. Kirito is merely a man who wants to stay true to himself, whether it be in a game, or in real life. And I think there are plenty of people like that. It has nothing to do with PTSD. Now if he suddenly started to get angry randomly, or paralyzed by fear, or something, then yes, I might agree that he's dealing with it, but it's pretty obvious Kirito has overcome that fear. Yes he had fear before putting on the nerv gear, but Kirito is pretty much in control of himself, and isn't displaying any real signs of PTSD aside from keeping with his morality. Yes it's a game, and yes death is a part of the game, but in a game like WoW, on a PvP server, I didn't actively hunt alliance, nor did I feel the need to kill anyone I came across. Yes, there are people who do that, but just because it's a game, and just because the death isn't real, doesn't make me want to act like an a-hole and do that kind of stuff. Kirito is the same way.
Tsukou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 19:57   Link #64
Insane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
How, well, that was the nature of the magic. You take on the form of a monster and gain the related size/mobility, but you don't gain any attack power. Thankfully for him, he already had the attack power to spare, and the size was all he needed. (I guess it'd count as "Illusion Magic" because you don't really become a monster; you just take the monster's form. It's not like a "mirage", though.)
Still, we have Leafa saying how crappy illusion is in battle every episode but Kirito uses it to turn into a giant monster and owns. Not to mention, Kirito got all of his skill levels from SAO which did not have magic (i.e. his illusion should be at a low level, unless a sword skill or something transferred to illusion, but that seems unlikely). So what then, is giant monster illusion your weakest spell? I smell an Ass Pull here
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 20:04   Link #65
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
Still, we have Leafa saying how crappy illusion is in battle every episode but Kirito uses it to turn into a giant monster and owns. Not to mention, Kirito got all of his skill levels from SAO which did not have magic (i.e. his illusion should be at a low level, unless a sword skill or something transferred to illusion, but that seems unlikely). So what then, is giant monster illusion your weakest spell? I smell an Ass Pull here
No, you already saw in an earlier episode that his carried-over SAO stats allow him to one-hit kill people normally. But the problem is that he couldn't break through their defensive formation. His monster form allows him to use the high stats he already has anyway to get around their defences and own people. If it weren't for his high stats and his specific circumstance, he would have been better off in his normal form (where he can use his sword). It was just a useful thing to have in this specific case. It's no more of an "ass pull" than the fact his SAO stats carried over in the first place. (We also saw that it took some time to deploy the skill, so it's not like he could just use that form whenever he wants either.)
Old 2012-11-10, 20:21   Link #66
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The only problem is that it is called a "illusion" spell instead of transformation spell. He literally changed his shape, thus his range and attack abilities. Without the ability to seize and grab the defenders, he wouldn't be able to get through their formation.
Aside, the damage is most likely explained by his SAO stats.
Old 2012-11-10, 20:21   Link #67
Witch of Uncertainty

I'm having trouble with how serious people take this game.
I mean, it's not like people would call me on my cell, because, I dunno, a guildmate in WoW was at Undercity auction house or something. It was fine in SOA, where actions had consequences, but here it's just ridiculous how serious people take everything.
Witch of Uncertainty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 20:39   Link #68
Vsin
Aldracity

Just going to throw in Novel stuff about the illusion...

Basically, it's a spell that turns the player into a monster, with power proportional to the player themselves.
Spoiler for Vol3 Quote:
The idea is that Kirito's SAO stats are so darn broken that he ended up rolling The Gleameyes.

...that explanation still doesn't quite satisfy me though since the only way an above-average player could roll a raid boss is if the system somehow detected the 1000 1h Swords, 1000 Dual Wielding (corrupt), 1000 Guard and 1000 Search stats he has...and then RNGed it to the maximum degree.
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 20:41   Link #69
Oroboro
Endless Sorceror

I've gotten texts from my guild leader a few times when I was late for raids.

But WoW is too casual to really be a good comparison to SAO/ALO. It's far more along the lines of the game design seen in EQ/UO/FFXI/Eve , and other predecessors of WoW.

Believe me, they were serious business. (And when you throw VR into the mix, even more so.)

On a random note, anyone else think Kirito was lying when he said he didn't really remember what it was like during the spell, just so he could lead up to his lame hand biting joke? XD
Oroboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 20:42   Link #70
SagaraSouske

That was really just a Gleameye look alike. Kirito didn't have Gleameye's abilities.
Old 2012-11-10, 20:42   Link #71
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

also remember the spell was taught to Kirito by Yui who has more access to the system then the players.
Old 2012-11-10, 20:45   Link #72
Divini
Senpai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch of Uncertainty View Post
I mean, it's not like people would call me on my cell, because, I dunno, a guildmate in WoW was at Undercity auction house or something. It was fine in SOA, where actions had consequences, but here it's just ridiculous how serious people take everything.
It wouldn't be fair to compare a Full Dive VRMMO to the MMOs we play now. These ALO players basically live and breathe the game as if they exist in that world, rather than it simply being an avatar on your computer screen.

I would probably take it more seriously too.
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 20:45   Link #73
Krono

Quote:
Comparing this to an auction house is underselling it by a fair bit. If the Salamanders succeed, they'll kill two race leaders, landing them a huge amount of funds for gearing up for their next attempt on the world tree, and start a war between those two races leaving them unable to interfere with the Salamanders next attempt, or beat the Salamanders to it. That's a pretty big shift in the balance of power and in game politics in the game.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 20:49   Link #74
Definitegj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsin View Post
Just going to throw in Novel stuff about the illusion...

Basically, it's a spell that turns the player into a monster, with power proportional to the player themselves.
Spoiler for Vol3 Quote:
The idea is that Kirito's SAO stats are so darn broken that he ended up rolling The Gleameyes.

...that explanation still doesn't quite satisfy me though since the only way an above-average player could roll a raid boss is if the system somehow detected the 1000 1h Swords, 1000 Dual Wielding (corrupt), 1000 Guard and 1000 Search stats he has...and then RNGed it to the maximum degree.
Stats of a level 96 player rolling a raid boss of level 74? Look pretty reasonable to me. That just me though
Definitegj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 20:51   Link #75
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagaraSouske View Post
That was really just a Gleameye look alike. Kirito didn't have Gleameye's abilities.
The only abilities I remember GleamEyes had were sword skills. Given his illusion spell didn't give him a sword as well, I can't see him using sword skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
also remember the spell was taught to Kirito by Yui who has more access to the system then the players.
Even so, it is Kirito who casts the spell. If Yui told him GM commands, he wouldn't be able to use them since he doesn't have the authority to execute them, hence the spell he used can be used by other players as well.
Old 2012-11-10, 21:11   Link #76
Clarste
Human

Quote:
I've only played it for 10 minutes before giving up in frustration, but you hear stories like this from EVE Online all the time. Conspiracy and betrayal and a thousand players losing all their money at the same time. In some games, that's the whole draw.

Last edited by Clarste; 2012-11-10 at 21:21.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 21:20   Link #77
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukou View Post
As for people talking about Kirito's PTSD, I have a feeling you guys really don't know what you're talking about. After living two years in a game world, obviously he feels an attachment, but does that make what he says wrong? It's like he was saying, if you act a certain way in a game, it's bound to effect you in real life. Kirito is merely a man who wants to stay true to himself, whether it be in a game, or in real life. And I think there are plenty of people like that. It has nothing to do with PTSD. Now if he suddenly started to get angry randomly, or paralyzed by fear, or something, then yes, I might agree that he's dealing with it, but it's pretty obvious Kirito has overcome that fear. Yes he had fear before putting on the nerv gear, but Kirito is pretty much in control of himself, and isn't displaying any real signs of PTSD aside from keeping with his morality. Yes it's a game, and yes death is a part of the game, but in a game like WoW, on a PvP server, I didn't actively hunt alliance, nor did I feel the need to kill anyone I came across. Yes, there are people who do that, but just because it's a game, and just because the death isn't real, doesn't make me want to act like an a-hole and do that kind of stuff. Kirito is the same way.
I'm pretty sure the people talking about PTSD are mainly talking about the part where he shouted about how he wouldn't let any party members die, no matter what, and pretty much went berserk charging the Salamanders. The scene is from Lyfa's point of view, so we don't know Kirito's thoughts, but it's pretty easy to image him having flashbacks to the Black Cats there.
Old 2012-11-10, 21:38   Link #78
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
That made so much sense! why bother to save the love of your life IRL... just go and play the damn game
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 21:38   Link #79
Reek of Blood
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Reek of Blood
This episode was lame. WTF with that bull-headed titan? Meh, i guess it's just another stereotypical, boring cliche from those never-ending shounen series where the protag always gains sudden power up out of thin air in a pinch situation without proper explanations just because there are people he have to protect. It's true that he's such in hurry to save Asuna, but simply wanting to save someone doesn't mean he deserve to obtain such ridiculous power up.
Reek of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 21:46   Link #80
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reek of Blood View Post
This episode was lame. WTF with that bull-headed titan? Meh, i guess it's just another stereotypical, boring cliche from those never-ending shounen series where the protag always gains sudden power up out of thin air in a pinch situation without proper explanations just because there are people he have to protect. It's true that he's such in hurry to save Asuna, but simply wanting to save someone doesn't mean he deserve to obtain such ridiculous power up.
I take it you didn't read the thread.

It wasn't a "power up" as his stats didn't change at all.