AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Asatte no Houkou

Notices

Old 2006-10-18, 14:46   Link #181
Vulcannis

Talking

There's another reason to explain Hiro running off like he did--Karada was pantsless at the time. I can see him being embarrassed suddenly running into an attractive woman wearing just a t-shirt. And for that matter, Shouko had to go home pantsless the night before too... That's 2 for 3... perhaps it's a pantsless wishing stone?
Vulcannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 14:55   Link #182
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcannis View Post
perhaps it's a pantsless wishing stone?
In order for your wishes to come true, the wishing stone needs the power of your pants to give you the wish LOL when you become pantless you'll know that your wish came true
Old 2006-10-18, 15:15   Link #183
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

No, you need to look good already before it grants your wishes - it doesn't grant wishes to non-cuties and non-hotties.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 17:38   Link #184
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar View Post
The official website seems to use:
Shouko(kodomo) and Karada(otona)

I don't think they'll get to that point, but, excluding cancer, your dna should never change.
Your right DNA shouldnt change unless there is a mutation or from evolution or spontanous Evotution which has not really been proven yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
None would have freaked me out. Now I don't smoke but I if I end up in such a situation one of my first reactions could well be to get really, really drunk. At the moment Shouko was having way too big of a problem to care much about a possible lung cancer because of smoking or liver troubles because of drinking alcohol.
Im just talking about seeing someone who looks like a child doing it my brain just would compute it very well but i do agree with you if that happen to me getting drunk would be the first thing id do, get waxed pass out and hope it was just bad dream
Old 2006-10-18, 18:07   Link #185
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone
Yeah, it would be much easier to get drunk in that body Thinking about good sides, but where do you get your booze if you don't have it already?
Anacone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-19, 12:06   Link #186
fignae
floofer. floof.

Argh. I can't believe how moe this show is. I'm not the kind to squeal at children's cuteness, not at all, but I did in ep 2. And it's double the dosage, practically oozing cute through every pore (moment).

Gotta love the character designs, the music and the sound. The little noises are so appropriate. People walking, things being moved. It's equivalent to a visual zoom-in on the objects, and really brings out the life in quiet frames. Who is this sound director, anyway? I see he did Air, maybe an anime with similar sound factor.

Wonder what happened to Hiro, to make him become like this.

Hmm. I'll add that my suspension of disbelief was shaken sometimes during the second episode; it just doesn't make sense for brains to remain exactly the same at different parts of life. But that only adds to teh cute, unfortunately -- Shouko's so darned serious. She's going to make me change my mind about lolis sometime.

Now I understand why there are three excellent groups doing this. XD
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-19, 12:46   Link #187
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

You know, one of the last words I would use to describe this series would be moe. That's not to say your assessment is wrong, it's just that the word itself is so ridden with negative connotations in my mind. Not to mention the definition of moe seems to be somewhat unclear...

Quote:
Hmm. I'll add that my suspension of disbelief was shaken sometimes during the second episode; it just doesn't make sense for brains to remain exactly the same at different parts of life.
It does when the aging process (or the reverse one) is done by a wishstone. All I expect from wishstones is granting wishes and I doubt Karada had the idea to ask to get the life experience or attitude of an adult.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-19, 12:59   Link #188
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignae View Post
...Gotta love the character designs, the music and the sound. The little noises are so appropriate. People walking, things being moved. It's equivalent to a visual zoom-in on the objects, and really brings out the life in quiet frames. Who is this sound director, anyway? I see he did Air, maybe an anime with similar sound factor...Wonder what happened to Hiro, to make him become like this....
Yes, the sound effects just bring things to life. "Visual zoom-in" is a great analogy. Going over the list of credits for Tsuruoka Yota, the sound director, I can see he's at the top of the profession: Air, FMP, Suzumiya Haruhi (all KyoAni), Rozen Maiden, Petopeto-san (the sound of her shoes was so striking), Inu Yasha, Macross 7, Gravion, RahXephon, Lain, Speed Grapher (with all those shutter sounds), Turn A Gundam, Negima!? -- the list goes on and on. And sound effects on Last Exile, so sound effects may be his specialty, as voice-acting coaching was the specialty of the sound director on Simoun.

The music guy, Mitsumune Shinkichi, hasn't done as much, but his list is impressive, too: Utena, in particular, but also FLCL, Rozen Maiden, Hanbun no Tsuki, Speed Grapher, Negima!?, et al.

Also a good point about Hiro. The way they used his hair to hide his eyes. The way he seemed blandly cruel to Shouko. There is definitely something going on there.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-10-19 at 13:28.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-19, 18:25   Link #189
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone
Quote:
Originally Posted by fignae View Post
Now I understand why there are three excellent groups doing this. XD
I think that you mean subbing this. We should go and thank them, because without them and bloggers it could have been unnoticed. We own them our thanks. I often check myself what Lunar is subbing.

Although second episode was packed with sad emotions, I think watching it would be like a light in the dark cold winter. Not sure why exactly got that feeling maybe because OP is full of warmness (Yes it has shadowing elements but its there). I'm myself waiting this a bit more than Kanon. Maybe Kanon would be good summer Anime like this is excellent watching in winter. Only one Anime is better watching in winter... Just check sign.
Anacone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-19, 20:41   Link #190
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I never got into Kanon as much as I got into this, and I thank Lunar for subbing shows that I watch, but I thank them especially for this. This is just a work of art. On the topic of subbing (and only tangential to this one), it's quite good to see TW work efficiently again with their releases of Death Note; it was a surprise to see Bartender subbed; and I wish sub groups would stop oversubbing Kanon and move on to under-the-radar stuff like Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohaniheto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
Also a good point about Hiro. The way they used his hair to hide his eyes. The way he seemed blandly cruel to Shouko. There is definitely something going on there.
I don't even think he was cruel to Shouko; I just think he wanted to leave the past as it were, locked deep with the skeletons in their closet. He was nonchalant to her, but he didn't even try or aim to hurt her - he knew he hurt her in the past; he thought that it was inexorable and incorrigible, so he left it at that.

Well, you could peg it simply as a fashion statement, but indeed, if the face told much about Hiro's current state it's that he wants to hide the past - shown by somewhat changing the way he looked. But meh. Enough of speculations: give me ep3!!!
Old 2006-10-19, 23:43   Link #191
eggplant
Eggplant

Watched episode 3, ah, the plot thickens.
Spoiler for Episode3:

On a different note, I also saw the widescreen version of Episode 1 on BS-i, and as with the rest of the TBS releases up to now, the 4:3 fullscreen version doesn't do Asatte ni Houkou any justice.

Some screencaps of the TBS version versus the BS-i version.

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 01:22   Link #192
JediNight
キズランダム

I just finished watching Ep2: So that is the route they went with it eh.

After finishing Ep1, there were 3 paths it could have taken -- and any of the 3 are interesting.

#1 - Karada's name on the nameplate is magically replaced with Nogomi's ... aka they switched ages, but "life" for each respective age was the same. So the older brother in that case would have came and said "Thank goodness I found you Nogomi!" and hugged the 10/11 year old Nogomi. Meaning the now adult Karada was previously his girlfriend. (Was thinking this because they kept flashing to the nameplate, and expected in Ep2 for it to show a different name)

#2 - Similar to the first ... Nogomi is now Karada and vice versa, with the other characters recognizing them as such. (Was thinking this one was the most likely after seeing the nameplate the same ... ESPECIALLY with how Nogomi then put on Karada's clothes. That was a perfect setup for the brother to run up and ask where "Karada" has been and why didn't "Nogomi" call him and say she was with her.)

#3 - What actually happened ... they are different ages but the same people and have to convince others of what happened and try to deal with it now.

A lot of things could happen after this point I guess ... they show pictures of Nogomi now in the elementary school uniform, so I guess I'll just have to watch and find out Could be canon, could just be for a cute picture of role reversal.

PS: Anyone else think Karada will get a job at the cafe? =)
PPS: That's really corny of them to name her Karada (means "body" in Japanese) given what happens lol... It's written in katakana so you know it's not even a regular name in Japan either.

I also hope that Lunar or another group redoes the episodes using the BS-i caps ... those are beautiful and you can see just how much of the picture is chopped off in formatting for 4:3 ... ;(

Last edited by JediNight; 2006-10-20 at 01:26. Reason: nt
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 01:48   Link #193
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

The pre-OP part of ep3 had me a bit worried that we might be descending into simple comedy -- but not very worried. The rest led us expertly along a narrow rail, as in the ED, balancing pathos and humor, not falling off into either bathos on the one side or comedy on the other. I am totally hooked.
Spoiler for ep3:
Good points by physics223. I wasn't blaming Hiro, just saying that there had to be a reason why he said words that seemed cruel to her -- which they did.
Spoiler for just to be sure that these ideas aren't the result of seeing ep3:
And I agree with all you say about subs. Not to put Kanon down at all, but this is much more involving, subtle, and artistic so far.

Now to find the 16:9 raws. Negima has the same problem: the ordinary broadcast TV is 4:3, and the 16:9 version is only broadcast later on satellite. Makes commercial sense, I suppose.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 07:25   Link #194
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Can I persuade you to pennies of my thoughts? But even if one can't be convince to do so, I generally share the opinion of Kaoru that this series is much more involving, subtle and artistic compared to Kanon. I guess I may have reiterated some of my points mentioned here, but some novel ideas came to my mind as well while writing that short ... disquisition.
Old 2006-10-20, 08:55   Link #195
nojay
Scanlator

Fun

Asatte no Houkou is turning out to be a rare series, a drama where people are getting hurt and it's also laugh-out-loud funny too. I don't do LOL much but watching the ep. 3 raw -- [stuff deleted] -- gold. Best series of this season so far and probably best of the year. Only twelve episodes? Rats.

Last edited by nojay; 2006-10-20 at 09:16. Reason: Argh! Spoilers ! Shouldn't have put them in...
nojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 10:28   Link #196
fignae
floofer. floof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
You know, one of the last words I would use to describe this series would be moe.
You're right, Matrim, it was riddled with negative connotations for me--I was mildly disturbed, you see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Also a good point about Hiro. The way they used his hair to hide his eyes. The way he seemed blandly cruel to Shouko.
The way he looked totally different a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
Well, you could peg it simply as a fashion statement, but indeed, if the face told much about Hiro's current state it's that he wants to hide the past - shown by somewhat changing the way he looked. But meh. Enough of speculations: give me ep3!!!
Well, usually when anime characters' eyes are hidden, it implies that their emotions are masked or problematic. Perhaps Hiro's denying myself in order to take care of his family. Perhaps his attitude towards Shouko is related to this.

Eek, must avoid spoilers. The subs are fast enough that I can catch up easily. And yes, Anacone, I am thankful to the fansubbers, indeed.
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 13:35   Link #197
JediNight
キズランダム

If anything, the reason it's only 12 episodes is because they started the anime with only 3 volumes of manga completed. Might have been better for them to wait for 7/8 volumes to be released first, because I doubt we'll see a season2 for something like this.
Old 2006-10-20, 14:11   Link #198
nojay
Scanlator

12 episodes

There's a bit in the OP where Karada and Shouko together say "This is the story of such a summer for us" (Lunar translation). I read this to mean the change they have experienced won't last for more than a few weeks, so a single 12-episode series will deal with the story start to end.

Heh, if I got my wish for a one-off series to be continued I'd plump for "Haibane Renmei" first off. If Asatte makes it to a satisfactory conclusion in 12 episodes I'll be satisfied though.

Is anyone scanlating the manga, or are there even raws available? I've looked in a few places but zip.
nojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 14:52   Link #199
Theowne
耳をすませば

physics223, I agree that this is better then Kanon, but I think we don't need to keep saying it in every post

I realized I don't have much info about the manga for this series. Is it going to be completed anytime soon, or is a deviation from the plot expected to close the anime?

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 15:30   Link #200
JediNight
キズランダム

Shouko really needs to choose different glasses. Those thick rimmed ones she gets are awful looking and ruin her cuteness IMHO =\ Get contacts or better looking glasses like her first pair were decent

Tags
drama, fantasy, j.c. staff, romance, seinen, slice of life, supernatural