Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-06-10, 14:54   Link #7001
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
What's the deal with specifying the blood types of certain characters and almost all seiyuus?

Endless "Bloody" Soul
It's like a really bad version of astrology ... so uber-nonsense way to guess at personality or tell fortunes.
Old 2013-06-10, 14:58   Link #7002
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
A NSFW question:

Spoiler for NSFW:
Spoiler for NSFW:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
There was a Youtube video on the topic on why exercising is bad. While that video is played for humor, it did nevertheless had a good point about working out with your buddies. You know it can be really discouraging when you are exercising in a gym, you struggling to do an exercising while your friends can workout as if there were machines. You are struggling with a routine but your friends can routines easily and without much effort, you feel really embarrassed about this and it it actually discourages you from going to a gym. What do you do about this? You may not hate your friends but it is embarrassing to see yourself struggle while your friends can the routines easier.
I don't know about other people, and the whole 'work out together' thing. I've always worked out alone, it helps me focus more, and I don't need to feel self conscious if there are only strangers around me. Plus, invariably working out with friends wastes time, and if you're going for at least an hour (personally when I go to the gym I'm like a little kid and want to try out a lot of toys, so spend at least 1:30), with 10-15 minutes travel one way, there's not much more time to waste.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 14:59   Link #7003
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

As a kid it surprised me when most of Americans I met did not know their blood type. Back in Korea, most kids knew their blood types, or at least made it up to fit in.

However, blood type personality never made sense to me, my sister and I had the same blood type, yet our personality was polar opposite.
Old 2013-06-10, 20:11   Link #7004
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
I think some Asian believe the blood type dictate one personality. So it kinda gives an insight about her character
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It's like a really bad version of astrology ... so uber-nonsense way to guess at personality or tell fortunes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
As a kid it surprised me when most of Americans I met did not know their blood type. Back in Korea, most kids knew their blood types, or at least made it up to fit in.

However, blood type personality never made sense to me, my sister and I had the same blood type, yet our personality was polar opposite.
Huh, I never knew that. I always wondered why that bit if info showed up on character/seiyuu bios. I was thinking it was some weird way to feel "closer" to their favorite character/seiyuu.

"We're the same blood type, let's date!"

Endless "Still bloody" Soul
Old 2013-06-10, 20:39   Link #7005
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Just to ruin your day, this currently rather harmless if absurd blood type personality belief entered Japan when, um, eugenics was all the rage among the intellectuals in Europe, particularly central Europe (ifyouknowwhatimean), and consequently Japan.

It's, uh, you know, just before that big ruckus in the Pacific and stuff.

Though it faded and came back again when a quack wrote a book and it got popular.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 05:34   Link #7006
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Huh, I never knew that. I always wondered why that bit if info showed up on character/seiyuu bios. I was thinking it was some weird way to feel "closer" to their favorite character/seiyuu.

"We're the same blood type, let's date!"

Endless "Still bloody" Soul
Details available here in Wikipedia.

Also available here in Japan Today.

The salient points:
  • One's blood type was said to determine one's personality. As Irenicus mentioned, this flimsy theory was popular when eugenics was at its height in Europe.
  • The theory faded away, but interest in it was revived in 1970s Japan following the publishing of a popular book.
  • Unfortunately, this has led to some cases of blood-type harassment. The blood type B is relatively rare in Japan, compared to the other blood groups. People with the type B blood are thought to be mavericks, happy-go-lucky types who like to do things their way. In other words, they're not as likely to "fit in". And, in Japan, the nail that sticks out gets hammered...

Yup, it's completely stupid. But then, so are horoscopes and astrology. Unfortunately, lots of people are prone to such silly superstitions, so it's hard to stamp out. I'm just glad that the silliness has not spread much beyond Japan and Korea.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 05:50   Link #7007
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
There was a Youtube video on the topic on why exercising is bad. While that video is played for humor, it did nevertheless had a good point about working out with your buddies. You know it can be really discouraging when you are exercising in a gym, you struggling to do an exercising while your friends can workout as if there were machines. You are struggling with a routine but your friends can routines easily and without much effort, you feel really embarrassed about this and it it actually discourages you from going to a gym. What do you do about this? You may not hate your friends but it is embarrassing to see yourself struggle while your friends can the routines easier.
Lower the resistance?
Old 2013-06-11, 06:01   Link #7008
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
Spoiler for NSFW:
That does not answer my question through D:

Well my curiosity on that died out. But it probably will raise up one day again...
Old 2013-06-11, 07:16   Link #7009
oompa loompa

Quote:
That does not answer my question through D:

Well my curiosity on that died out. But it probably will raise up one day again...
Well, what I'm asking (in response to your question is)

Spoiler for NSFW:
Old 2013-06-11, 08:39   Link #7010
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
Well, what I'm asking (in response to your question is)

Spoiler for NSFW:
You can't answer a question with a rhetorical question when the implied answer does not answer the first question in the first place!!
Old 2013-06-11, 09:01   Link #7011
oompa loompa

Quote:
You can't answer a question with a rhetorical question when the implied answer does not answer the first question in the first place!!
It totally does. I'm asserting that it doesn't exist, that's my hypothesis so seiyuus don't do anything to make that sound. If there is, then I don't know. Also that's not a rhetorical question, that's just a regular question.
Old 2013-06-13, 06:46   Link #7012
Dextro
He Without a Title

Ok this has been bugging me for years now: why are the circle and x button functions on playstation swapped outside of Japan?

The best I could come up with was why they have the meaning they do in Japan but I can't for the life of me find any reason for Sony to change them for the western market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teiyu Goto
I gave each symbol a meaning and a color. The triangle refers to viewpoint; I had it represent one's head or direction and made it green. Square refers to a piece of paper; I had it represent menus or documents and made it pink. The circle and X represent 'yes' or 'no' decision-making and I made them red and blue respectively. People thought those colors were mixed up, and I had to reinforce to management that that's what I wanted.
Old 2013-06-14, 02:52   Link #7013
Ridwan

I'm now faced with quite a dilemma as to how I should face the current set of outcome.
Old 2013-06-14, 02:53   Link #7014
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Ok this has been bugging me for years now: why are the circle and x button functions on playstation swapped outside of Japan?

The best I could come up with was why they have the meaning they do in Japan but I can't for the life of me find any reason for Sony to change them for the western market.
Maybe I'm confused. Are you asking about the fact that X is generally used as a 'cancel' instead of an affirmation, or that it's the opposite?

For as long as I can remember the majority of Japanese games ported to the U.S. continue to run the flip that X is 'cancel'. As far as I'm aware this is still largely a standard practice, but sometimes the buttons remain on the western standard of X being 'continue/OK' instead.

You're right though, in Japan the circle is generally presented as an affirmation, while the X is the opposite.

If you're asking why X is generally used as an affirmation in the West I think the answer to this is probably simple (but I can't say 100% for sure). On an Xbox, A is the 'affirmation', and on the PS3 it's X. A good thing to note here is that both of those buttons are closest to the stick. This is true on the Wii as well. It makes more sense to make the affirmation button the button closest to finger that actually presses it. If the button is O, then you may find yourself craning your other fingers in some situations to press it.

I was really confused as to why I wasn't able to submit this post. Now I know...
Old 2013-06-14, 03:41   Link #7015
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Maybe I'm confused. Are you asking about the fact that X is generally used as a 'cancel' instead of an affirmation, or that it's the opposite?

For as long as I can remember the majority of Japanese games ported to the U.S. continue to run the flip that X is 'cancel'. As far as I'm aware this is still largely a standard practice, but sometimes the buttons remain on the western standard of X being 'continue/OK' instead.

You're right though, in Japan the circle is generally presented as an affirmation, while the X is the opposite.

If you're asking why X is generally used as an affirmation in the West I think the answer to this is probably simple (but I can't say 100% for sure). On an Xbox, A is the 'affirmation', and on the PS3 it's X. A good thing to note here is that both of those buttons are closest to the stick. This is true on the Wii as well. It makes more sense to make the affirmation button the button closest to finger that actually presses it. If the button is O, then you may find yourself craning your other fingers in some situations to press it.

I was really confused as to why I wasn't able to submit this post. Now I know...
Well, the "switch" happened back in the PS1 days. Like you noticed yourself: in Japan the circle button is the confirmation one while here on the "west" it's the opposite and X works as confirmation.

I just never figure out why someone originally made the decision to go with this inconsistency. My best bet is that it has something to do with the way RPGs (jRPGs mostly) worked on the SNES but I never actually played one so I wouldn't know.
Old 2013-06-16, 18:44   Link #7016
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Anyone know where this is from? And who she is?
Old 2013-06-17, 06:54   Link #7017
Eragon
Still Alive

Now I want to pet a kitty
Old 2013-06-17, 15:34   Link #7018
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Anyone know where this is from? And who she is?
And that's why all anime visuals are true (heh!).
Old 2013-06-19, 10:45   Link #7019
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Last couple of questions moved to a corresponding thread.

Remember guys, use the search option before posting here.
Old 2013-06-20, 22:01   Link #7020
oompa loompa

Anyone know what the thing they give you on airplanes to cover your eyes to help you sleep are called? You know, the double eye-patch band thing (best I can come up with). An eye-pad? Any idea where I might be able to buy one outside of an airport? (Obviously this will depend on where you live but it should be similar anywhere)

Tags
problem, q&a, serious