Notices

Old 2017-10-28, 12:56   Link #41
Ruki0089
Yandere Otoko Ruki-tan

The movie is great!!
Old 2017-10-28, 17:54   Link #42
solidvanz
Special Operative

Better movie than The Dark World, I'm putting in above first Thor movie as well. Although there were some crude jokes, it don't hurt much this movie. I do find some unpolished FXs in few scenes but the movie is blast! Fun and exciting experience watching at the local cinema.
Old 2017-10-30, 07:06   Link #43
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Awesome popcorn movie.
The two times Immigrant Song plays are, quite simply, the best-choreographed super-powered fight scenes I've ever seen in "super-hero" movies. And I do watch lots of those. I mean, I watch all of them, really.

The humor was, honestly, not as over the top as I was expecting - judging by some of the more "extreme" criticisms? What do you know? People do complain a lot, I guess? I didn't mid it, myself. There are some poignant moments, I thought (a particular family reunion scene was really nice, to me).

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-30, 09:22   Link #44
B214

Definitely the best Thor movie. Damn all the movies in phase 3 have been awesome till date.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-30, 11:39   Link #45
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Great movie and hilarious.
Spoiler for Certain characters:
Old 2017-10-30, 14:11   Link #46
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

That's exactly why she didn't make an appearance, mate.

Old 2017-11-01, 22:44   Link #47
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Apparently Marvel wanted her in the movie, and she wanted to be there, but asked her too late for her to make time in her Blindspot schedule.
Old 2017-11-03, 02:00   Link #48
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Thor Cast reenact the movie.
Old 2017-11-06, 00:38   Link #49
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Btw, Hela's zombie minions is surprisingly weak. I assume that they're as strong as Asgard footsoldiers (if not more), yet they can be taken down with M16(?) assault rifles? Does that mean people like Warriors Three, Heimdall and Sif can be killed with guns too? If so, Asgard soldiers don't look special at all. By comparison, Terran army like the US military will have a field day if they (hypothetically) need to invade realms like Asgard. And Asgard is supposed to be this more-advanced civilization compared to us.

At least Fenrir got to keep his dignity by not being able to be killed with machine guns .

Also, if Loki already spent that much time in Sakaar with Hulk face and accessories displayed everywhere on its streets, how come he was surprised when they revealed that Grandmaster's champion is Hulk after Thor arrived later? I understand that they wanted to make it hilarious when Loki found out Hulk is in da house, but that is one logic lapse that I just can't excuse .
Old 2017-11-06, 10:52   Link #50
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Maybe he was just secluded all the time? Not wandering around the streets and such?

Old 2017-11-06, 11:05   Link #51
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Maybe he was just secluded all the time? Not wandering around the streets and such?
And he somehow (unluckily?) never caught a single conversation or two between Sakaarians talking about Hulk in that Grandmaster's building? You know, the most popular champion of the Grandmaster who were still fighting at the time? So famous that they made a statue outta him?
Old 2017-11-06, 12:32   Link #52
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Did the Sakaarans ever call him Hulk, tho? I'm actually drawing a blank, here.
In any event, it's just a small leap of logic if they did. I'm willing to forgive the movie for it, in favor of the beauty that was Loki jumping with unrequited joy, when his brother suffered the same fate he did, at the hands of the Green Goliath.

That was pure bliss, mate.

Old 2017-11-06, 15:37   Link #53
cyberdemon

Quote:
In any event, it's just a small leap of logic if they did. I'm willing to forgive the movie for it, in favor of the beauty that was Loki jumping with unrequited joy, when his brother suffered the same fate he did, at the hands of the Green Goliath.

They introduced him as the Incredible Hulk before the fight iirc.

Loki doesn't exactly have a good opinion of lower class people so he is unlikely to go to the streets with them and has likely spent his entire time buttering up that that leader guy (forgot his name). Outside of the introduction Hulk was only referred to as the champion as well. Loved his reaction to seeing The Hulk though "Gotta get off this planet". Glad to see they didn't forget what the hulk did to him before lol
Old 2017-11-06, 18:15   Link #54
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:

Didn’t the entire stadium chanted the Hulk’s name during the fight? So yes, it’s a logic lapse to me. And the entire people in the building never mentioning the Hulk's name is such a forced plot devise to me considering how popular he was at the time.

If they really wanted Loki & Thor to be surprised at the appearance of Hulk at the same time, why didn’t Taika Waititi just made them arrived at the same time or very close to each other?

There are other things I don’t like in the movie. Let’s count them:
Spoiler for plot spoilers!!!:
Other than those, I enjoy the movie quite a lot. A lot more than Guardians 2 in fact.

All in all, Thor trilogy ended up like Ironman trilogy for me. I adore the first installments. The second installments dropped the ball but weren’t bad enough to make me hate them. And the third installments are my least favorite of them all even though there are moments of brilliance in them.
Old 2017-11-08, 08:57   Link #55
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I couldn't disagree more. Even about IM3. But, hey, that's the beauty of opinions, isn't it?

Old 2017-11-08, 09:44   Link #56
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I couldn't disagree more. Even about IM3. But, hey, that's the beauty of opinions, isn't it?
The people of Sakaar knowing and chanting the Hulk's name is a fact though, not opinion. Other facts include Warriors Three being disposed like garbage, Sif being completely ignored in the movie and Taika treating Bruce Banner's personal conflict and (supposed) sacrifice as a joke .
Old 2017-11-08, 12:20   Link #57
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
The people of Sakaar knowing and chanting the Hulk's name is a fact though, not opinion. Other facts include Warriors Three being disposed like garbage, Sif being completely ignored in the movie and Taika treating Bruce Banner's personal conflict and (supposed) sacrifice as a joke .
Okay...

1) They chanted his name only after he was introduced in the arena;
2) I agree with you, that wasn't handled well. Hopefully it's rectified properly, later;
3) Sif not being in the movie stung, but if she appears later, when there's no scheduling conflict, I'm all for it (and, at least it was not mishandled as The Warriors Three, so it's not a minus);
4) Nah, that was actually a nod to The Incredible Hulk, so that's a BIG PLUS, in my book.

Old 2017-11-08, 17:41   Link #58
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Okay...

1) They chanted his name only after he was introduced in the arena;
2) I agree with you, that wasn't handled well. Hopefully it's rectified properly, later;
3) Sif not being in the movie stung, but if she appears later, when there's no scheduling conflict, I'm all for it (and, at least it was not mishandled as The Warriors Three, so it's not a minus);
4) Nah, that was actually a nod to The Incredible Hulk, so that's a BIG PLUS, in my book.
1) IIRC It was stated that Hulk has been fighting there for quite a time (it's blatantly stated that Banner became Hulk for two years, remember?). We also heard the story from that rock-dude how Hulk decimated other challengers before the event of the movie. He is the reigning champion of the gladiatorial game. So, common sense dictate that Sakaarians already know his name way before the events of the movie.

4) I know it's a nod. It was so obvious. But just because it's a nod doesn't change the fact that it's a joke. I mean, watch the movie again. Bruce Banner's personal conflict with Hulk is only used for comedy and punchline in it.
Old 2017-11-09, 09:32   Link #59
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Man, you're grasping at straws, now, I think. Loki's been there on the planet a while, yeah (a couple of weeks, he said?), but... Who knows how long a time it takes between matches? I get it, you didn't like it. I really didn't mind that bit. Let's just agree to disagree.

As for the Banner bit, it was a joke in The Incredible Hulk, too. The jumping shtick. The personal conflict thing, tho? It's not gonna end in this movie, mate. Kevin Feige and Mark Ruffalo have gone out of their way to imply that this was only the start of an unofficial "trilogy" for the Hulk and I'm pretty stoked for the rest, myself. Come on, Avengers!

Old 2017-11-09, 10:52   Link #60
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Man, you're grasping at straws, now, I think. Loki's been there on the planet a while, yeah (a couple of weeks, he said?), but... Who knows how long a time it takes between matches? I get it, you didn't like it. I really didn't mind that bit. Let's just agree to disagree.
No straws to grasp. Let's asses the facts here:
  • Hulk can talk. He knows and says his own name to other people.
  • Hulk has fought in the arena before (as stated by the rock dude). That's why he was already popular in Sakaar even before the event of the movie.
  • In the movie, the Sakaarians not mentioning the Hulk's name until he appeared in the stadium is one big (flawed) setup for Thor & Loki's reaction gag.

Given those facts, here's my assessment: Overall, the joke works (the result is funny as hell), but the setup (for Loki) is so contrived. Considering Hulk had been fighting there for 1+ year and was the star of the most popular sport-show, it's impossible that people never mention his name especially in Grandmaster's building that Loki has spent weeks living in. That's like living in Santiago Bernabeu for weeks during the football season without hearing people there mentioning Christiano Ronaldo's name even once. That's ridiculous and simply against common sense.

Quote:
As for the Banner bit, it was a joke in The Incredible Hulk, too. The jumping shtick. The personal conflict thing, tho? It's not gonna end in this movie, mate. Kevin Feige and Mark Ruffalo have gone out of their way to imply that this was only the start of an unofficial "trilogy" for the Hulk and I'm pretty stoked for the rest, myself. Come on, Avengers!
I'm well aware that this is only the first part of the planned "Hulk Trilogy" arc. So what? That doesn't change the fact that Taika treated this first part as a one big joke (literally) where it could've been more.