AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-31, 06:20   Link #401
Gooral
Banned

This episode was a complete disaster. First minute was wasted on recap. Then for the next 7 minutes we've had a Pokemon display, poorly done at that. The director should know that what works for manga doesn't necessarily work for anime, alas he doesn't. When I have a name of an imaginary animal written on a margin of the page it doesn't bother me. But when the animation stops and I'm forced to watch it, it's another matter. Also, they've even screwed up copying what was in the manga which is a pathetic fail on their part. Claymore mushrooms weren't spewing poisonous gas when they were stepped upon, they were exploding. Hence the name CLAYMORE (claymores are mines). Killua and Gon being swallowed by a frog was also a very bad idea and a waste of time. It made them look like average hunter-wannabes since they've let themselves to be swallowed even though we've seen how aware of his surroundings they were (specially Gon), how good reflexes they've had and how strong and fast they were. I don't get what was the purpose of that scene besides wasting seconds. Even more stupid was the way they got out. A can of juice with a bit of laxative wouldn't work on some humans but it was enough for a being 20 times their size? WTF? Not to mention that what works on humans doesn't necessarily work on other species. Creators clearly wanted to show they're not only copying but also show their own ideas. Well, they've failed miserably. Leorio being attacked by this strawberry turtle was also a waste.

The second half of the episode wasn't much better. In a way it was worse since they've spoiled a great scene. For starters why the f*ck did these three wanted to attack Hisoka (I'm talking about the moment just before Killua warned Gon about Hisoka)? Especially after seeing what they saw at the beggining of the episode (i.e. him killing the impersonator and attacking Satotz). It gave them nothing and they were risking failing the exam so why do it? Neither in the manga nor in the new anime (which is better than the manga) was sth like that but they've had to show their "creativity" *sigh*. Later, when they were separated from the main group they've also attacked him first, lol. But most of this was mentioned by Endless Twilight (great post by the way, sadly I can't give you rep until I spread it). The point is - they've managed to spoil such awesome scene and make it look horrible. And if someone thinks I'm overreacting I suggest they watch the first series (episode 7 I think).
I have to mention one thing though that wasn't mentioned by anyone from what I see. Kurapica was shown as a coward which is completely off the mark. He saw the fight and Leorio struggling and yet he did not come out to help. We know he knew since he screamed Leorio's name in the moment Leorio came to face Hisoka and also later he knew exactly what Gon was talking about with Hisoka (and I'm not talking about the part which Gon told him) and that Gon managed to hit Hisoka without him telling him that. And before you start your "but it was similar in the manga too" routine (*cough* Toto *cough*), let me remind you that I consider older anime as a better creation than manga for a reason.
Gon's fear mixed with excitement was also better displayed in the old version, in the new one his panting was plainly annoying. And the scene where Hisoka killed these small fries was also bad. A red circle could work 40 years ago, when the budgets were 10 times lesser than today and when drawing something more complicated would require a lot of work. But when over 10 year old anime shows a more detailed fight and shows Hisoka's finesse better I say there is something wrong with the new one. I thought that the new anime would be better at least on a technical level but even here it fails. Music is also a lot worse, for example at the start of the episode when they were running through the swamps. It was drawing too much of an attention and didn't fit too well. Or heavy metal bits (about 8th minute) and awful ending which aren't kids' music at all.

Another big fail was revealing who Hisoka was working with. I don't understand why they didn't show Gittarackur's face in the first place when they've shown everything else (i.e. his number and pins that he had all over his body). They did the same thing with Tonpa, following the manga closely instead of following the example of old anime but this time it was even worse. Anyway, it's another example of treating viewers like idiots and hand-holding. In the new anime we could see Hisoka talking with Gittarackur and nothing else, director did not think it was necessary to show the radio with navigation (the same Hisoka had) and the person who was holding it.

Last but not least, at the end of the episode narrator said that Gon has experienced mortal fear for the first time in his life, which is not true. If they ever include the scene that should have appeared in the first episode it will be a HUMONGOUS fail. For now it's just a fail.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 08:25   Link #402
rinichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
Spoiler for Hunter x Hunter Episode 5 Comparison:
thanks so much, I love how neutral your comparisons are...
I dont read reviews with too much babblings (negative post with no evidence), I love reading reviews with evidence. The evidence is what matters most for me...

well the only thing that still annoys me is the Mexican bgm... it ill look good if Hisoka wears anything Hispanic, but he's not...
rinichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 09:08   Link #403
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
This episode was a complete disaster. First minute was wasted on recap. Then for the next 7 minutes we've had a Pokemon display, poorly done at that. The director should know that what works for manga doesn't necessarily work for anime, alas he doesn't. When I have a name of an imaginary animal written on a margin of the page it doesn't bother me. But when the animation stops and I'm forced to watch it, it's another matter. Also, they've even screwed up copying what was in the manga which is a pathetic fail on their part. Claymore mushrooms weren't spewing poisonous gas when they were stepped upon, they were exploding. Hence the name CLAYMORE (claymores are mines). Killua and Gon being swallowed by a frog was also a very bad idea and a waste of time. It made them look like average hunter-wannabes since they've let themselves to be swallowed even though we've seen how aware of his surroundings they were (specially Gon), how good reflexes they've had and how strong and fast they were. I don't get what was the purpose of that scene besides wasting seconds. Even more stupid was the way they got out. A can of juice with a bit of laxative wouldn't work on some humans but it was enough for a being 20 times their size? WTF? Not to mention that what works on humans doesn't necessarily work on other species. Creators clearly wanted to show they're not only copying but also show their own ideas. Well, they've failed miserably. Leorio being attacked by this strawberry turtle was also a waste.
Are Claymore Mushrooms and some kids getting swallowed by a frog that big a deal? If you didn't think that it worked, it's your opinion and I respect that. But I hope that you're not chastising Madhouse for incorporating some of their own ideas into the test, considering that Nippon Animation does this consistently and sometimes also fails.

Quote:
The second half of the episode wasn't much better. In a way it was worse since they've spoiled a great scene. For starters why the f*ck did these three wanted to attack Hisoka (I'm talking about the moment just before Killua warned Gon about Hisoka)? Especially after seeing what they saw at the beggining of the episode (i.e. him killing the impersonator and attacking Satotz). It gave them nothing and they were risking failing the exam so why do it? Neither in the manga nor in the new anime (which is better than the manga) was sth like that but they've had to show their "creativity" *sigh*. Later, when they were separated from the main group they've also attacked him first, lol. But most of this was mentioned by Endless Twilight (great post by the way, sadly I can't give you rep until I spread it). The point is - they've managed to spoil such awesome scene and make it look horrible. And if someone thinks I'm overreacting I suggest they watch the first series (episode 7 I think).
Episode 8. Leorio came back in this episode in order to protect Kurapika. The pair just saw Hisoka hunt down a man who tried to run away, so he did it out of friendship. I think that Leorio's attack was cooler in the 1999 series, but at the same time it made him appear to be more talented than he actually was.

Quote:
I have to mention one thing though that wasn't mentioned by anyone from what I see. Kurapica was shown as a coward which is completely off the mark. He saw the fight and Leorio struggling and yet he did not come out to help. We know he knew since he screamed Leorio's name in the moment Leorio came to face Hisoka and also later he knew exactly what Gon was talking about with Hisoka (and I'm not talking about the part which Gon told him) and that Gon managed to hit Hisoka without him telling him that. And before you start your "but it was similar in the manga too" routine (*cough* Toto *cough*), let me remind you that I consider older anime as a better creation than manga for a reason.
Calm down. I'd understand your gripes here if they were actually correct. The exact same thing happens in Nippon Animation's adaptation. Kurapika hears Leorio attack Hisoka while Pokkle calls him an idiot (1:00:22 on the second DVD in the first boxset), and doesn't come back until Hisoka sets down Gon. As for your second complaint, the conversations are nearly exactly the same in both versions. Kurapika already knew that Gon had hit Hisoka without the boy telling him (1:04:00). By your logic, Kurapika's a coward either way.

If you preferred the first series' execution of these events, that's fine, it's your opinion. There were things I liked and disliked about both, and I talk about them in my post. But if you're going to have an issue against the series, make sure that it's something that you can verify as true first. Several times, you've been incorrect about the actual content of the 1999 series in this thread.

Quote:
Gon's fear mixed with excitement was also better displayed in the old version, in the new one his panting was plainly annoying. And the scene where Hisoka killed these small fries was also bad. A red circle could work 40 years ago, when the budgets were 10 times lesser than today and when drawing something more complicated would require a lot of work. But when over 10 year old anime shows a more detailed fight and shows Hisoka's finesse better I say there is something wrong with the new one. I thought that the new anime would be better at least on a technical level but even here it fails. Music is also a lot worse, for example at the start of the episode when they were running through the swamps. It was drawing too much of an attention and didn't fit too well. Or heavy metal bits (about 8th minute) and awful ending which aren't kids' music at all.
Gon's fear in the first series is the show failing. They attempt to portray Gon most of the time as a normal kid, but he's not normal. Gon's a freak. It's in his last name, and there's sort of a "freakshow" motif present in the series. In the Nippon Animation adaptation, Hisoka traumatizes Gon. If you prefer the direction of that scene, then by all means. I'm just saying that it goes against his personality.

I also think that the 1999 anime series took a very clear moral stance against Hisoka, which isn't being done here.

Quote:
Another big fail was revealing who Hisoka was working with. I don't understand why they didn't show Gittarackur's face in the first place when they've shown everything else (i.e. his number and pins that he had all over his body). They did the same thing with Tonpa, following the manga closely instead of following the example of old anime but this time it was even worse. Anyway, it's another example of treating viewers like idiots and hand-holding. In the new anime we could see Hisoka talking with Gittarackur and nothing else, director did not think it was necessary to show the radio with navigation (the same Hisoka had) and the person who was holding it.
I don't understand how that scene was "treating the audience like idiots." In the 1999 series, we don't hear the conversation that Hisoka has at all. Here we are shown that he's conspiring with another candidate and how important that character is. The Madhouse version has been reusing examinees so that it's kind of hard to tell who is important and who isn't. It's smart--if you're paying attention to all of the faces in each episode, you'll find some that reoccur but aren't actually important.

Quote:
Last but not least, at the end of the episode narrator said that Gon has experienced mortal fear for the first time in his life, which is not true. If they ever include the scene that should have appeared in the first episode it will be a HUMONGOUS fail. For now it's just a fail.
Gon might not know Kite yet in this adaptation, or the circumstances have changed surrounding the way that they'd met. The narration at the end of chapter 9 of the manga says something similar about Gon encountering something so dangerous for the first time, so it's written into the source material.

Last edited by Toto y Moi; 2011-10-31 at 09:48.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 10:37   Link #404
Poky

Do you guys think that there is any chance that the new adaptation will get less censorship on the DVDs ? I've noticed that there are some scenes where everything is too zoomed in , for instance when Hisoka hit that fake's head in the previous episode. Maybe, they'll zoom it out later and show how that card mutilated his face.

Did they show the brutality from the previous adaptation on TV or was it added to the DVDs ?
Poky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 22:53   Link #405
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poky View Post
Do you guys think that there is any chance that the new adaptation will get less censorship on the DVDs ? I've noticed that there are some scenes where everything is too zoomed in , for instance when Hisoka hit that fake's head in the previous episode. Maybe, they'll zoom it out later and show how that card mutilated his face.

Did they show the brutality from the previous adaptation on TV or was it added to the DVDs ?
The original series was censored too, just in different ways. There was no change for the dvds until they switched for ova format, then it was more faithful, of course.
But don't hold your breath for uncut dvds. This series is aimed at a younger audience, it's not like those late-night short shows that get redone treatment for dvd and blu-ray so the hardcore fans will buy it.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 02:20   Link #406
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
This series is aimed at a younger audience.
It's pretty comical how people are just jumping to that conclusion now.
Old 2011-11-01, 04:56   Link #407
ookamigirl

This sure was a dangerous path through the fog.
That examiner wasn't joking when he said they could die.
Great episode, especially Gon & Leorio.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 14:27   Link #408
ditn

To me it feels like its a bit less censored than the first anime.
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 06:06   Link #409
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Ep 5
Hisoka, Hisoka, Hisokaaa~ So they "tamed" his killer instinct. Seeing his excitement with Gon was... *claps for Namikawa*

And I didn't like the whole frog-swalloing thing either.
Old 2011-11-02, 11:45   Link #410
Goty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
It's pretty comical how people are just jumping to that conclusion now.
...saying that a shonen series, which is airing at 10:55am, is aimed at a younger audience than all those late-night anime that get uncensored discs is "jumping the gun"? Really?!
Old 2011-11-05, 19:53   Link #411
UnknownSoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
...saying that a shonen series, which is airing at 10:55am, is aimed at a younger audience than all those late-night anime that get uncensored discs is "jumping the gun"? Really?!
Well if you've read the Chimera Ant arc, you wouldn't think this was for kids either. There's going to be some serious censoring going on if this is "for kids". Unless they just plan on stopping the anime before that arc starts or something.
UnknownSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 00:51   Link #412
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep6:
Old 2011-11-06, 03:14   Link #413
Goty

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownSoldier View Post
Well if you've read the Chimera Ant arc, you wouldn't think this was for kids either. There's going to be some serious censoring going on if this is "for kids".
Of course, but that's exactly the point. They're toning down the manga to make a kids-friendly animation, like most shonen adaptations are done these days.
Given how they're changing even not-so-violent details, i'm really curious to see how they'll handle all the dark stuff that comes up later, but hey, seeing how the Toriko anime is getting butchered, i guess it can't get worse than that.
Old 2011-11-06, 03:50   Link #414
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

the manga actually have more gore than a lot of seinen titles, so this will get extrmely butchered or probably just gonna change a lot of things.
Old 2011-11-06, 04:43   Link #415
yomisama

Episode 6 is out.

I was a major fan of the 1999 series (and I can't believe it's been over a decade!) but that didn't mean I was going to be purposefully critical of the remake.

Only the 2011 remake leaves itself open to much criticism.

For starters, the BGM and sound effects in the 1999 version were spot on. The sound effects of the fights was different to most that were around at the time - they weren't your usual impact sounds, and I can never forget the unique sound made by Gon swishing his fishing rod around.

In 2011, Gon's fishing rod is looking a little demented (the red ball at the end of the rod no longer hangs but sits up like a lollypop?!) and the fight scenes - the first real one in the marshes - lacked genuine excitement.

I agree that there needs to be certain departures from the manga when it's turned into an anime in order to ensure certain emotions are properly conveyed and the story flows, but the whole Hisoka-being-attacked rather than Hisoka-going-nuts-and-playing-judge didn't sit well with me. It was a missed opportunity to leave an indelible first impression about his character.

One trivial thing which really annoyed me was that they gave Hisoka sharp, pointy fingernails. I can forgive the change of voice, but come on, pointy finger nails?

Swallowing that departure from the manga, in episode 6, they've done away with the sushi altogether. Buhara and Menchi now only taste the pigs. So many things are just wrong with that:

1) The Great Stamp made most of the hunters look like idiots. I mean, Hanzo using his shruiken?! Not being able to figure out the Great Stamp's weakness without some stupid apples falling off a tree? The candidates are all strong, hardened, battle ready men and they're all just stupidly waiting for someone to work out how to kill the boar?!

2) Menchi's exam was supposed to test the powers of observation and deduction of all the candidates - from the equipment they were provided, the chopsticks and small plate she had, and the rice given. It also showed that Kurapika had extensive knowledge of other cultures. Where the hell did all that go? Afraid the viewers couldn't keep up with some complex dialogue about logical reasoning?

3) what on earth is with the draft sending all the hunters flying up from the ravine?! The egg test was simply a test of courage - to fling yourself down into the ravine and climb back up. There really wasn't any need to elaborate further. If they could spend time with a psuedo-cliffhanger of the spider threads breaking, they can give me back the sushi.

This episode just made Menchi sound like a total demanding, unreasonable cow. At least she had good reason to be disgruntled in the old version when the candidates were not being observant and failed to pick up the clues she was leaving behind.

I could understand why they remade FMA given the first animation was a complete departure from the manga. However, the 1999 HxH was quite spot on with hardly any fillers to truly complain about, and I would have preferred if they just continued where they left off after GI. The 2011 remake has a huge hurdle to clear, and if the opening is anything to go by, the epic Gon v Hisoka fight at the Celestial Tower is going to be nowhere near as good as the 1999 version. It will also be interesting to see how they redo what was one of the most emotionally poignant moments for me in the old series - Nobu's arm wrestling with Gon.

*sigh*
yomisama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 05:09   Link #416
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

As expected, Hirano used her Lucy voice. It did the job though, and yet again i find myself liking Menchi.

Nothing to complain about. Another satisfying episode.
Old 2011-11-06, 11:20   Link #417
ookamigirl

Pretty interesting episode.
Phase 2 - cooking? Weird one.
This was a really fun episode, especially the second part.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 13:43   Link #418
Clarste
Human

The second test was ruined!

I've been sort of neutral towards this anime so far, but you can't cut out the sushi! That part was both hilarious and clever. Probably one of the highlights of the beginning of this series. If they had to cut something out they should've cut the pigs. There was seriously no point to that, especially given that A) they already emphasized the wild monster-animals last episode and B) they made all the Hunter candidates look like idiots this episode with that apple thing.

I can forgive censorship if only for the timeslot, but this episode was kind of insulting in a completely different way.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 13:49   Link #419
Gooral
Banned

Horrible, just horrible. I've completely lost my faith now and I'm starting to wish the remake would never happen. I never thought it would be possible for me to hate Hunter x Hunter anime but they've managed to screw everything up. So far every episode was either bad, ugly or bad and ugly. But the last two were just horrible. In this one the joke about Leorio's face being the same was omitted (which is one of my favorite scenes) and instead we've had filler sliding scene and creators showing us the search for boars. A minute was wasted to see how Gon and others go through the woods to find pigs, lol. And while I'm at it, it's hard to believe they wouldn't see pigs from this high ground (even if we take into account that trees would obstruct the view). But this was acceptable. What was not however was the method of incapacitating the boar. Apples falling from a tree could KO the killer-boar? Are they f*cking serious? If it was so easy that a mere apple could do that this species would be long gone. That's just ridiculous and treating the viewer like an idiot. And Menchi evaluating pigs was a fail. They've mixed up two tests into one, a brilliant idea. NOT. They've cut out some great scenes and prevented the viewers from getting to know better some of the characters. They also didn't show that Menchi deserves the title of a Hunter and that she could do sth none of the participants (except certain two individuals) could. Getting the eggs was sth that 42 Hunter candidates could easily achieve. And updraft? Are you kidding me? If the wind would be so strong that it could hold a person I don't see how the eggs could be still where they are.
FAIL.

Also, talk about being lazy, spider webs are in rectangles, lol. Another proof that old anime had better graphics. And the trumpet music is really annoying. It could fit a slap-stick comedy not HxH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomisama View Post
(...)
*sigh*
QFT. Excellent post yomisama. The only reason I'm not quoting everything is because I don't want to make this post too long unnecessarily.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 14:21   Link #420
mrShady

Quote:
Horrible, just horrible. I've completely lost my faith now and I'm starting to wish the remake would never happen. I never thought it would be possible for me to hate Hunter x Hunter anime but they've managed to screw everything up. So far every episode was either bad, ugly or bad and ugly. But the last two were just horrible. In this one the joke about Leorio's face being the same was omitted (which is one of my favorite scenes) and instead we've had filler sliding scene and creators showing us the search for boars. A minute was wasted to see how Gon and others go through the woods to find pigs, lol. And while I'm at it, it's hard to believe they wouldn't see pigs from this high ground (even if we take into account that trees would obstruct the view). But this was acceptable. What was not however was the method of incapacitating the boar. Apples falling from a tree could KO the killer-boar? Are they f*cking serious? If it was so easy that a mere apple could do that this species would be long gone. That's just ridiculous and treating the viewer like an idiot. And Menchi evaluating pigs was a fail. They've mixed up two tests into one, a brilliant idea. NOT. They've cut out some great scenes and prevented the viewers from getting to know better some of the characters. They also didn't show that Menchi deserves the title of a Hunter and that she could do sth none of the participants (except certain two individuals) could. Getting the eggs was sth that 42 Hunter candidates could easily achieve. And updraft? Are you kidding me? If the wind would be so strong that it could hold a person I don't see how the eggs could be still where they are.
FAIL.

Also, talk about being lazy, spider webs are in rectangles, lol. Another proof that old anime had better graphics. And the trumpet music is really annoying. It could fit a slap-stick comedy not HxH.

QFT. Excellent post yomisama. The only reason I'm not quoting everything is because I don't want to make this post too long unnecessarily.
I agree. This lame crap is an insult for this once great anime and awesome manga.
I didn't even finish the episode and am not going to bother with the series again. A shame they redid the old anime and then just changed things at random, what a waste of money and time.
mrShady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen